Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Chicken Hawaiian

Okay, there's nothing "Hawaiian" about this chicken coating. I suspect
my mother called it that because she got the recipe from a friend when
they were stationed in Hawaii.

At any rate, it's a nice, tasty coating for baked chicken. Basically
it calls for 1-1/2 cups of dried breadcrumbs* seasoned with a little
salt & pepper, dried parsley flakes, garlic powder and 1/3 cup grated
Parmesan cheese.

Brush the chicken pieces with melted butter, then dredge in the
breadcrumb mixture until evenly coated. Let the chicken stand on waxed
paper for a few minutes to set. Place the chicken pieces in a shallow
glass baking pan. Bake at 350F for about 35-40 minutes.

This in no way purports to be like fried chicken. The coating will
still be crispy, however.

*Mom's "original recipe" called for 1-1/2 cups of crushed cornflake
crumbs. I don't buy cornflakes as a breakfast cereal. (It contains a
surprising amount of sugar.) Have you ever priced crushed cornflake
crumbs at the grocery store? Ridiculous. I've always used dry
breadcrumbs instead. Panko might work well here!

I've got a 1-1/2 lb. package of chicken "drummettes". Before anyone
asks, that's the meaty part of the chicken wing. These happen to be
*very* meaty and the price was less than buying whole chicken wings. Go
figure.

It's pouring down rain here again, three days in a row for sporadic
storms and two days in a row for complete downpours several times a day.
No grilling here. I'm not even thinking about venturing outside
today. It's a great day for making not really "Hawaiian" baked chicken.

Jill
Jill