Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tuna

heyjoe wrote:

> What tuna do you buy? Canned or pouch?
> Just curious, as my biggest problem with tuna is the smell, overly
> fishy, IMO. But am willing to learn about a better product, as I like
> fish, in general.

I have no good advice there but...

I agree that canned tuna seems to smell stronger now than in the
past. I used to prefer Starkist cans but they have gone to
shredded vs more chunks these days. Cheapskates. Also they seem
to smell fishy stronger.

My current canned tuna of choice is "Chicken of the Sea."
I always buy the packed in water kind. Packed in oil is
nasty to me. My cat wouldn't even eat that.

The pouches are the same thing just without the water. Just
overpriced.

For larger chunks and *maybe* milder odor, try the albacore cans.
I don't like them for sandwiches but they are good for making
fish cakes (faux crab cakes). Just use a good crabcake recipe.

Other than all that, just buy fresh tuna steaks. They have no
smell. Those are better to sear and eat like a very rare steak vs
turning them into sandwich mush though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Jun 2019 10:16:37 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>heyjoe wrote:
>>
>> What tuna do you buy? Canned or pouch?
>> Just curious, as my biggest problem with tuna is the smell, overly
>> fishy, IMO. But am willing to learn about a better product, as I like
>> fish, in general.

>I have no good advice there but...
>
>I agree that canned tuna seems to smell stronger now than in the
>past. I used to prefer Starkist cans but they have gone to
>shredded vs more chunks these days. Cheapskates. Also they seem
>to smell fishy stronger.
>
>My current canned tuna of choice is "Chicken of the Sea."
>I always buy the packed in water kind. Packed in oil is
>nasty to me. My cat wouldn't even eat that.
>
>The pouches are the same thing just without the water. Just
>overpriced.
>
>For larger chunks and *maybe* milder odor, try the albacore cans.

You're buying the on-sale cheapo flake or chunk tuna... it's no
bargain. We buy *solid white*, usually Bumble Bee. My wife buys the
3 ounce cans by the case, perfect size on a garden salad for a good
school lunch. Those small cans cost a little more but it's a better
grade of tuna, very solid and no cat food odor.

>I don't like them for sandwiches but they are good for making
>fish cakes (faux crab cakes). Just use a good crabcake recipe.
>
>Other than all that, just buy fresh tuna steaks. They have no
>smell. Those are better to sear and eat like a very rare steak vs
>turning them into sandwich mush though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 11:14:54 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> You're buying the on-sale cheapo flake or chunk tuna... it's no
> bargain. We buy *solid white*, usually Bumble Bee. My wife buys the
> 3 ounce cans by the case, perfect size on a garden salad for a good
> school lunch. Those small cans cost a little more but it's a better
> grade of tuna, very solid and no cat food odor.

I buy StarKist brand white albacore packed in water and can't say I've really
ever noticed a fishy smell or anything strong for that matter. Makes awfully
good tuna salad sandwiches as well as just a bit of mayo mix in and eaten on saltines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 13:17:16 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 11:14:54 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> You're buying the on-sale cheapo flake or chunk tuna... it's no
>> bargain. We buy *solid white*, usually Bumble Bee. My wife buys the
>> 3 ounce cans by the case, perfect size on a garden salad for a good
>> school lunch. Those small cans cost a little more but it's a better
>> grade of tuna, very solid and no cat food odor.
>>

>I buy StarKist brand white albacore packed in water and can't say I've really
>ever noticed a fishy smell or anything strong for that matter. Makes awfully
>good tuna salad sandwiches as well as just a bit of mayo mix in and eaten on saltines.

People who think tuna smells fishy have never eaten mackerel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 3:17:55 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> People who think tuna smells fishy have never eaten mackerel.

That's the truth!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> heyjoe wrote:
>>
>> What tuna do you buy? Canned or pouch?
>> Just curious, as my biggest problem with tuna is the smell, overly
>> fishy, IMO. But am willing to learn about a better product, as I like
>> fish, in general.

> I have no good advice there but...
>
> I agree that canned tuna seems to smell stronger now than in the
> past. I used to prefer Starkist cans but they have gone to
> shredded vs more chunks these days. Cheapskates. Also they seem
> to smell fishy stronger.
>
> My current canned tuna of choice is "Chicken of the Sea."
> I always buy the packed in water kind. Packed in oil is
> nasty to me. My cat wouldn't even eat that.
>
> The pouches are the same thing just without the water. Just
> overpriced.
>
> For larger chunks and *maybe* milder odor, try the albacore cans.
> I don't like them for sandwiches but they are good for making
> fish cakes (faux crab cakes). Just use a good crabcake recipe.
>
> Other than all that, just buy fresh tuna steaks. They have no
> smell. Those are better to sear and eat like a very rare steak vs
> turning them into sandwich mush though.

I get the pouches on sale. I no longer buy the canned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

heyjoe wrote:

> Living far from an ocean, the only unfrozen fishes we get are fresh
> water. Not quite the same flavor profile as salt water, but
> approximately the same cost as less expensive (previously) frozen salt
> water fishes.

Fresh frozen seafood is good if you order from a good seafood
vendor. They can ship it to you overnight in a foam carton with a
small bit of dry ice. Beats the hell out of grocery store frozen
seafood but more costly.

Even the top priced raw tuna you pay a fortune for at a good
restaurant has been frozen at sea in salt water ice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-08 10:17 a.m., Gary wrote:
> heyjoe wrote:
>>
>> Living far from an ocean, the only unfrozen fishes we get are fresh
>> water. Not quite the same flavor profile as salt water, but
>> approximately the same cost as less expensive (previously) frozen salt
>> water fishes.

> Fresh frozen seafood is good if you order from a good seafood
> vendor. They can ship it to you overnight in a foam carton with a
> small bit of dry ice. Beats the hell out of grocery store frozen
> seafood but more costly.

I was never too keen on frozen fish, especially salmon. One of the
reasons I like shopping at Costco is that there flash frozen and
individually wrapped fish fillets are excellent. We get a lot of sole,
wild salmon and farmed salmon and rainbow trout.

> Even the top priced raw tuna you pay a fortune for at a good
> restaurant has been frozen at sea in salt water ice.

It is interesting that so many people claim that sushi grade tuna is
fresh. It isn't. By definition, sushi grade means that it has been
frozen to something like -20C for a week in order to kill cooties and
parasites.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 10:08:26 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I don't care for tuna casserole. Had it probably twice in my life so
> I'm good for years to come.

My aunt would fix it for supper about every other week when I stayed with her
and her husband one summer when I was 16. It was ok and I ate it without
complaint but I've never felt compelled to cook it myself. As far as I can
remember I haven't eaten it since that summer centuries ago.