Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sucky "Sushi" Experience :-/

I abhor awful sushi and even worse "service" - don't you? Even my local HEB can do better than this! This is a recent post of mine from austin.eats, comments "accepted"

"As I've commented on austin.eats several times in the past, I'm a
regular at lunchtime at Miyako on Kirby. Looks like today was my last
visit. I'll let my letter to Ms. Connie Wong explain. I got Ms. Wong's
name when I called the Westheimer location asking for the name and
address of Miyako's owner, who I know by sight from various times he's
been in the particular Miyako location where I was eating at the time.
Whenever he sees me, he always acknowledges me. Unfortunately, I was
told that Ms. Wong is in charge of all the restaurants and that I should
write to her. The nature of my request was known since I was forthright
from the beginning of the phone call. I immediately identified myself
by name and said I had a bad experience at the Kirby location earlier
today and I wanted to inform the owner about it.

Ms. Connie Wong
Miyako Restaurant
6345 Westheimer
Austin, TX 77057

Dear Ms. Wong:

My lunch hour today was an experience I hope to forget, as it was quite
unpleasant. Some background is in order, so first, I want you to know
that my first time ever eating sushi was at Miyako on Westheimer in
1985. I've been hooked on sushi ever since, regularly having dinner at
the Miyako on Westheimer, the Little Miyako that was located in the
Village about 10 years or so ago, and then when that location closed,
the Kirby location. In the mid-1990s when the downtown location opened,
I began having lunch there at least once per week, every single week,
until I began working in Greenway Plaza in January 1998. Since that
time, until today, I've had lunch at the Kirby location at least once
per week, every single week. So a reasonable estimation would be that
I've eaten at Miyako more than 500 times in the past 15 years.

After a hectic trip to Costco, I arrived at the Kirby location at 11:35 a.m.. today and took my usual seat at the sushi bar. There were only two others at the sushi bar, and over the next 10 minutes, a total of about 5 tables were occupied. Still, just the one couple and me at the sushi bar. In other words, not very busy.

Among other sushi items, I ordered the Miyako Special maki. As I always
do when ordering the Miyako Special maki, I asked that it be cut into 8
pieces, rather than the usual 6 pieces, because when cut into 6 pieces,
a single piece is too large for me to eat without biting into it, and
then it completely falls apart (my carpal nerve damage restricts my motions) About three minutes after taking my order, the waitress returned to say that I would be charged $1 for
cutting the maki into 8 pieces instead of 6 pieces. I looked her
straight in the face and told her that I was highly insulted by that
comment and told her of my frequency of visits to Miyako. She told me
that it was the manager's decision to charge me $1. I asked to speak
with the manager. The manager, who I recall previously as a waitress,
came from the kitchen area with a very sour look on her face. I then
reiterated to the manager what I told the waitress of how insulting the
idea of charging me $1 to make two slices with a knife, this as a result of my mobility issues. I also reminded
her of my very frequent visits to Miyako, which I knew she already knew,
because every single employee who works outside the kitchen knows me by
my frequent visits.

She told me that mine was a special request and there would be a $1
charge. I then told her that I guessed she had no idea what the notion
of customer service was and that she had two choices. She could either
charge me $1 for her employee to make 8 slices instead of 6 slices and I
would never again set foot in Miyako, or she could change her mind and I
would remain a customer. She stated once again that there would be a $1
charge. I then turned around, picked up my magazine and walked out of
the restaurant. Mind you, I had ordered an orange Fanta which had already been
served to me and which I had partially consumed. I did not pay for it
nor was I followed and asked to pay for it.

I am truly saddened to have to make the decision to no longer have lunch
at a restaurant that I so much enjoy at least once per week. But then,
it's a sad day when $1 is more important than the loyalty I've shown
Miyako over 15 years and thousands of dollars.

/s/

P.S. As a final comment, I thought I'd offer that sometimes I order the
daily special, even when there is a piece of sushi that I do not care
for, typically squid. Whenever squid is on the daily special, I tell
the sushi chef he can just leave it off my plate, something I consider
to be quite thoughtful. Miyako can re-sell it to someone else, charging
the normal per piece price, and I've not wasted any food..."

END OF LETTER

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]
> served to me and which I had partially consumed. I did not pay for it
> nor was I followed and asked to pay for it.
>
> I am truly saddened to have to make the decision to no longer have lunch
> at a restaurant that I so much enjoy at least once per week. But then,
> it's a sad day when $1 is more important than the loyalty I've shown
> Miyako over 15 years and thousands of dollars.
>
> /s/
>
> P.S. As a final comment, I thought I'd offer that sometimes I order the
> daily special, even when there is a piece of sushi that I do not care
> for, typically squid. Whenever squid is on the daily special, I tell
> the sushi chef he can just leave it off my plate, something I consider
> to be quite thoughtful. Miyako can re-sell it to someone else, charging
> the normal per piece price, and I've not wasted any food..."

Didn't you post this rubbish once before?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2019 9:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> As I always
> do when ordering the Miyako Special maki, I asked that it be cut into 8
> pieces, rather than the usual 6 pieces, because when cut into 6 pieces,
> a single piece is too large for me to eat without biting into it, and
> then it completely falls apart (my carpal nerve damage restricts my motions) About three minutes after taking my order, the waitress returned to say that I would be charged $1 for
> cutting the maki into 8 pieces instead of 6 pieces. I looked her
> straight in the face and told her that I was highly insulted by that
> comment and told her of my frequency of visits to Miyako. She told me
> that it was the manager's decision to charge me $1. I asked to speak
> with the manager. The manager, who I recall previously as a waitress,
> came from the kitchen area with a very sour look on her face. I then
> reiterated to the manager what I told the waitress of how insulting the
> idea of charging me $1 to make two slices with a knife, this as a result of my mobility issues. I also reminded
> her of my very frequent visits to Miyako, which I knew she already knew,
> because every single employee who works outside the kitchen knows me by
> my frequent visits.
>
> She told me that mine was a special request and there would be a $1
> charge. I then told her that I guessed she had no idea what the notion
> of customer service was and that she had two choices. She could either
> charge me $1 for her employee to make 8 slices instead of 6 slices and I
> would never again set foot in Miyako, or she could change her mind and I
> would remain a customer.

People can be incredibly stupid. Time is money. The time of the
waitress to get the manager and the manager to take time to talk with
you was probably $10 worth of productivity. Make the damned cuts and
keep the customer happy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 20:50:18 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

> [...]
>> nor was I followed and asked to pay for it.
>>
>> I am truly saddened to have to make the decision to no longer have lunch
>> at a restaurant that I so much enjoy at least once per week. But then,
>> it's a sad day when $1 is more important than the loyalty I've shown
>> Miyako over 15 years and thousands of dollars.
>>
>> /s/
>>
>> P.S. As a final comment, I thought I'd offer that sometimes I order the
>> daily special, even when there is a piece of sushi that I do not care
>> for, typically squid. Whenever squid is on the daily special, I tell
>> the sushi chef he can just leave it off my plate, something I consider
>> to be quite thoughtful. Miyako can re-sell it to someone else, charging
>> the normal per piece price, and I've not wasted any food..."
>>
>> END OF LETTER
>>

>Didn't you post this rubbish once before?

That wasn't Sqwertz.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Jun 2019 13:43:34 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

> [...]
>>> nor was I followed and asked to pay for it.
>>>
>>> I am truly saddened to have to make the decision to no longer have lunch
>>> at a restaurant that I so much enjoy at least once per week. But then,
>>> it's a sad day when $1 is more important than the loyalty I've shown
>>> Miyako over 15 years and thousands of dollars.
>>>
>>> /s/
>>>
>>> P.S. As a final comment, I thought I'd offer that sometimes I order the
>>> daily special, even when there is a piece of sushi that I do not care
>>> for, typically squid. Whenever squid is on the daily special, I tell
>>> the sushi chef he can just leave it off my plate, something I consider
>>> to be quite thoughtful. Miyako can re-sell it to someone else, charging
>>> the normal per piece price, and I've not wasted any food..."
>>>
>>> END OF LETTER
>>>

>>Didn't you post this rubbish once before?

It was Greg Morrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 23:41:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/6/2019 9:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>

>> As I always
>> do when ordering the Miyako Special maki, I asked that it be cut into 8
>> pieces, rather than the usual 6 pieces, because when cut into 6 pieces,
>> a single piece is too large for me to eat without biting into it, and
>> then it completely falls apart (my carpal nerve damage restricts my motions) About three minutes after taking my order, the waitress returned to say that I would be charged $1 for
>> cutting the maki into 8 pieces instead of 6 pieces. I looked her
>> straight in the face and told her that I was highly insulted by that
>> comment and told her of my frequency of visits to Miyako. She told me
>> that it was the manager's decision to charge me $1. I asked to speak
>> with the manager. The manager, who I recall previously as a waitress,
>> came from the kitchen area with a very sour look on her face. I then
>> reiterated to the manager what I told the waitress of how insulting the
>> idea of charging me $1 to make two slices with a knife, this as a result of my mobility issues. I also reminded
>> her of my very frequent visits to Miyako, which I knew she already knew,
>> because every single employee who works outside the kitchen knows me by
>> my frequent visits.
>>
>> She told me that mine was a special request and there would be a $1
>> charge. I then told her that I guessed she had no idea what the notion
>> of customer service was and that she had two choices. She could either
>> charge me $1 for her employee to make 8 slices instead of 6 slices and I
>> would never again set foot in Miyako, or she could change her mind and I
>> would remain a customer.

>People can be incredibly stupid. Time is money. The time of the
>waitress to get the manager and the manager to take time to talk with
>you was probably $10 worth of productivity. Make the damned cuts and
>keep the customer happy.

I've no idea what Miyako Special maki is nor do I feel like searching,
however if it costs the kitchen an extra 50¢ per each extra slice I'd
say bring it me uncut, I'll cut it all myself and take the $2.50
cutting fee off my tab! Actually I'd much prefer cutting up my food
myself, last time my mommy cut up my food I was perhaps 3 years old.
Now that I looked it up and know it's sorta the shape of a spring roll
I wouldn't want the kitchen to cut it up at all. bring it to me whole
and I'll either cut it myself or consider it finger food same as I eat
a spring/egg roll.

Actually I'd simply get up and leave, I'd not need to tell them that
I'd never darken their door again because they'd figure that out...
their slant eye food can't be so good I'd miss it nor would they be
the only show in town. I'd not pay $1 for anyone's Miyako Special
maki... a sliver of raw fish 'n white rice doesn't turn me on....
sounds like dwar'fish chow.. I'd never darken the door of any sushi
joint. blech Over priced Friskies... they should be serving their
patrons in a bowl on the floor, just like Fluffy. I think sushi
should be free, just like peanuts n' pretzels at any gin mill... it's
friggin' uncooked fish, bring me to Lung Guyland and I can hook a boat
load in a couple three hours.
Truth is I consider sushi poor man's crab trap bait, actually it's
chum. Any fish not worth cooking, smoking, pickling is bait... and
white rice has no intrinsic value whatsoever... even common salt has
greater value. In the past common salt was coin of the realm. raw
seafood never had any value and still has no value, white rice is
coolie grub, Fish is all yoose want for free, just bait a hook.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 5:41:50 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/6/2019 9:27 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>

> > As I always
> > do when ordering the Miyako Special maki, I asked that it be cut into 8
> > pieces, rather than the usual 6 pieces, because when cut into 6 pieces,
> > a single piece is too large for me to eat without biting into it, and
> > then it completely falls apart (my carpal nerve damage restricts my motions) About three minutes after taking my order, the waitress returned to say that I would be charged $1 for
> > cutting the maki into 8 pieces instead of 6 pieces. I looked her
> > straight in the face and told her that I was highly insulted by that
> > comment and told her of my frequency of visits to Miyako. She told me
> > that it was the manager's decision to charge me $1. I asked to speak
> > with the manager. The manager, who I recall previously as a waitress,
> > came from the kitchen area with a very sour look on her face. I then
> > reiterated to the manager what I told the waitress of how insulting the
> > idea of charging me $1 to make two slices with a knife, this as a result of my mobility issues. I also reminded
> > her of my very frequent visits to Miyako, which I knew she already knew,
> > because every single employee who works outside the kitchen knows me by
> > my frequent visits.
> >
> > She told me that mine was a special request and there would be a $1
> > charge. I then told her that I guessed she had no idea what the notion
> > of customer service was and that she had two choices. She could either
> > charge me $1 for her employee to make 8 slices instead of 6 slices and I
> > would never again set foot in Miyako, or she could change her mind and I
> > would remain a customer.

> People can be incredibly stupid. Time is money. The time of the
> waitress to get the manager and the manager to take time to talk with
> you was probably $10 worth of productivity. Make the damned cuts and
> keep the customer happy.

That's one way to get rid of a nasty, unpleasant, customer. Here's another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKAs3SEewSY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 7:50:37 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> I've no idea what Miyako Special maki is nor do I feel like searching,
> however if it costs the kitchen an extra 50¢ per each extra slice I'd
> say bring it me uncut, I'll cut it all myself and take the $2.50
> cutting fee off my tab! Actually I'd much prefer cutting up my food
> myself, last time my mommy cut up my food I was perhaps 3 years old.
> Now that I looked it up and know it's sorta the shape of a spring roll
> I wouldn't want the kitchen to cut it up at all. bring it to me whole
> and I'll either cut it myself or consider it finger food same as I eat
> a spring/egg roll.
>
> Actually I'd simply get up and leave, I'd not need to tell them that
> I'd never darken their door again because they'd figure that out...
> their slant eye food can't be so good I'd miss it nor would they be
> the only show in town. I'd not pay $1 for anyone's Miyako Special
> maki... a sliver of raw fish 'n white rice doesn't turn me on....
> sounds like dwar'fish chow.. I'd never darken the door of any sushi
> joint. blech Over priced Friskies... they should be serving their
> patrons in a bowl on the floor, just like Fluffy. I think sushi
> should be free, just like peanuts n' pretzels at any gin mill... it's
> friggin' uncooked fish, bring me to Lung Guyland and I can hook a boat
> load in a couple three hours.
> Truth is I consider sushi poor man's crab trap bait, actually it's
> chum. Any fish not worth cooking, smoking, pickling is bait... and
> white rice has no intrinsic value whatsoever... even common salt has
> greater value. In the past common salt was coin of the realm. raw
> seafood never had any value and still has no value, white rice is
> coolie grub, Fish is all yoose want for free, just bait a hook.

Oddly enough I had some raw fish and rice for lunch. Tasty! The sauce on the chum is Sriracha and mayo. Sriracha and mayo has pretty much changed our lives for the better. Spicy and smooth - amazing!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...3eaPV-ZTbia9r-
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Jun 2019 13:50:30 -0400, wrote:
>
> >Truth is I consider sushi poor man's crab trap bait, actually it's
> >chum. Any fish not worth cooking, smoking, pickling is bait... and
> >white rice has no intrinsic value whatsoever... even common salt has
> >greater value. In the past common salt was coin of the realm. raw
> >seafood never had any value and still has no value, white rice is
> >coolie grub, Fish is all yoose want for free, just bait a hook.

> As an uncultured brute, who was an actor on The Sopranos, said about
> sushi: "I prefer my food cooked". Gary could have said that. Huh-huh.

I still say that about seafood specifically. IMO, no seafood is
better
tasting when raw. Just lightly cooking enhances it.

Not only heat cooking but also cooking with something acidic.
Ceviche method is better than raw.

I've tried raw tuna like so many think is good.
Good yes, but just a quick sear on high heat
is even better.Slightly cooked but still very rare.
Salmon, same thing.
Other fish is best quickly broiled with lemon and onions.
Or battered and quick fried.

Oysters and clams...raw is such a waste of their lives.
Especially those contests where drunks try to eat
the most in so many minutes.
Those should be steamed or battered and quick fried.

Bottom line, seafood is best (IMO) just slightly cooked.

Fuggin' Japanese even butcher a live animal before
your eyes and serve a still beating heart with a
pair of chopsticks. Damn evil heathens.

Guess I'm just a spoiled prince. heheh I've lived right by fresh
ocean or bay seafood most of my life so I'm used to very fresh
all. The only crappy grocery store seafood I'll buy occasionally
is shrimp. When I eat seafood, not all that often, I'll either
harvest them myself from the water, or buy from the local seafood
market. Fishing is boring to me but I have friends that love
fishing. They supply me with the occasional fresh fish.

Even fresh and immediately frozen seafood is better that grocery
store frozen. Canned seafood is a joke. I do eat canned tuna
occasionally and I do have one can of BONELESS salmon. Silly to
buy a can of salmon filled with the bones. Even my cat wouldn't
eat that. No one should ever buy canned crab.

I could go on and on but this is just me. Not quite Sheldon but
I'm working on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 7:50:37 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> I've no idea what Miyako Special maki is nor do I feel like searching,
> however if it costs the kitchen an extra 50¢ per each extra slice I'd
> say bring it me uncut, I'll cut it all myself and take the $2.50
> cutting fee off my tab! Actually I'd much prefer cutting up my food
> myself, last time my mommy cut up my food I was perhaps 3 years old.
> Now that I looked it up and know it's sorta the shape of a spring roll
> I wouldn't want the kitchen to cut it up at all. bring it to me whole
> and I'll either cut it myself or consider it finger food same as I eat
> a spring/egg roll.
>
> Actually I'd simply get up and leave, I'd not need to tell them that
> I'd never darken their door again because they'd figure that out...
> their slant eye food can't be so good I'd miss it nor would they be
> the only show in town. I'd not pay $1 for anyone's Miyako Special
> maki... a sliver of raw fish 'n white rice doesn't turn me on....
> sounds like dwar'fish chow.. I'd never darken the door of any sushi
> joint. blech Over priced Friskies... they should be serving their
> patrons in a bowl on the floor, just like Fluffy. I think sushi
> should be free, just like peanuts n' pretzels at any gin mill... it's
> friggin' uncooked fish, bring me to Lung Guyland and I can hook a boat
> load in a couple three hours.
> Truth is I consider sushi poor man's crab trap bait, actually it's
> chum. Any fish not worth cooking, smoking, pickling is bait... and
> white rice has no intrinsic value whatsoever... even common salt has
> greater value. In the past common salt was coin of the realm. raw
> seafood never had any value and still has no value, white rice is
> coolie grub, Fish is all yoose want for free, just bait a hook.

Oddly enough I had some raw fish and rice for lunch. Tasty! The sauce on the
chum is Sriracha and mayo. Sriracha and mayo has pretty much changed our
lives for the better. Spicy and smooth - amazing!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...3eaPV-ZTbia9r-

====

For the first time ever, I was told that group does not exist

When Carol posts pics, I am asked to login (I don't know what to do for
that.) But when you post, it usually goes straight in!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Jun 2019 08:52:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 07 Jun 2019 13:50:30 -0400, wrote:
>>
>> >Truth is I consider sushi poor man's crab trap bait, actually it's
>> >chum. Any fish not worth cooking, smoking, pickling is bait... and
>> >white rice has no intrinsic value whatsoever... even common salt has
>> >greater value. In the past common salt was coin of the realm. raw
>> >seafood never had any value and still has no value, white rice is
>> >coolie grub, Fish is all yoose want for free, just bait a hook.

>> As an uncultured brute, who was an actor on The Sopranos, said about
>> sushi: "I prefer my food cooked". Gary could have said that. Huh-huh.

>I still say that about seafood specifically. IMO, no seafood is
>better
>tasting when raw. Just lightly cooking enhances it.
>
>Not only heat cooking but also cooking with something acidic.
>Ceviche method is better than raw.
>
>I've tried raw tuna like so many think is good.
>Good yes, but just a quick sear on high heat
>is even better.Slightly cooked but still very rare.
>Salmon, same thing.
>Other fish is best quickly broiled with lemon and onions.
>Or battered and quick fried.
>
>Oysters and clams...raw is such a waste of their lives.
>Especially those contests where drunks try to eat
>the most in so many minutes.
>Those should be steamed or battered and quick fried.
>
>Bottom line, seafood is best (IMO) just slightly cooked.
>
>Fuggin' Japanese even butcher a live animal before
>your eyes and serve a still beating heart with a
>pair of chopsticks. Damn evil heathens.
>
>Guess I'm just a spoiled prince. heheh I've lived right by fresh
>ocean or bay seafood most of my life so I'm used to very fresh
>all. The only crappy grocery store seafood I'll buy occasionally
>is shrimp. When I eat seafood, not all that often, I'll either
>harvest them myself from the water, or buy from the local seafood
>market. Fishing is boring to me but I have friends that love
>fishing. They supply me with the occasional fresh fish.
>
>Even fresh and immediately frozen seafood is better that grocery
>store frozen. Canned seafood is a joke. I do eat canned tuna
>occasionally and I do have one can of BONELESS salmon. Silly to
>buy a can of salmon filled with the bones. Even my cat wouldn't
>eat that. No one should ever buy canned crab.
>
>I could go on and on but this is just me. Not quite Sheldon but
>I'm working on it.

One of my favorite seafood dishs is an ALT... Anchovy, Lettuce, and
Tomato on a Kaiser roll, dressed with the anchovy oil.
I actually like pickled and cold smoked fish better than cooked fish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 4:44:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 7:50:37 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > I've no idea what Miyako Special maki is nor do I feel like searching,
> > however if it costs the kitchen an extra 50¢ per each extra slice I'd
> > say bring it me uncut, I'll cut it all myself and take the $2.50
> > cutting fee off my tab! Actually I'd much prefer cutting up my food
> > myself, last time my mommy cut up my food I was perhaps 3 years old.
> > Now that I looked it up and know it's sorta the shape of a spring roll
> > I wouldn't want the kitchen to cut it up at all. bring it to me whole
> > and I'll either cut it myself or consider it finger food same as I eat
> > a spring/egg roll.
> >
> > Actually I'd simply get up and leave, I'd not need to tell them that
> > I'd never darken their door again because they'd figure that out...
> > their slant eye food can't be so good I'd miss it nor would they be
> > the only show in town. I'd not pay $1 for anyone's Miyako Special
> > maki... a sliver of raw fish 'n white rice doesn't turn me on....
> > sounds like dwar'fish chow.. I'd never darken the door of any sushi
> > joint. blech Over priced Friskies... they should be serving their
> > patrons in a bowl on the floor, just like Fluffy. I think sushi
> > should be free, just like peanuts n' pretzels at any gin mill... it's
> > friggin' uncooked fish, bring me to Lung Guyland and I can hook a boat
> > load in a couple three hours.
> > Truth is I consider sushi poor man's crab trap bait, actually it's
> > chum. Any fish not worth cooking, smoking, pickling is bait... and
> > white rice has no intrinsic value whatsoever... even common salt has
> > greater value. In the past common salt was coin of the realm. raw
> > seafood never had any value and still has no value, white rice is
> > coolie grub, Fish is all yoose want for free, just bait a hook.

> Oddly enough I had some raw fish and rice for lunch. Tasty! The sauce on the
> chum is Sriracha and mayo. Sriracha and mayo has pretty much changed our
> lives for the better. Spicy and smooth - amazing!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...3eaPV-ZTbia9r-
>
> ====
>
> For the first time ever, I was told that group does not exist
>
> When Carol posts pics, I am asked to login (I don't know what to do for
> that.) But when you post, it usually goes straight in!

That's odd. I don't know what the problem would be...

Last night I stuck some taro leaves in the slow cooker and then put some pork on top of that. The pork was injected with a solution of water, sugar, salt, and liquid smoke. It's been cooking since last night - hopefully. I haven't checked it yet because I haven't got out of bed yet.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9hY1-mNiy9ELrI
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> As an uncultured brute, who was an actor on The Sopranos, said about
>>> sushi: "I prefer my food cooked". Gary could have said that. Huh-huh.

>> I still say that about seafood specifically. IMO, no seafood is
>> better
>> tasting when raw. Just lightly cooking enhances it.
>>
>> Not only heat cooking but also cooking with something acidic.
>> Ceviche method is better than raw.
>>
>> I've tried raw tuna like so many think is good.
>> Good yes, but just a quick sear on high heat
>> is even better.Slightly cooked but still very rare.
>> Salmon, same thing.
>> Other fish is best quickly broiled with lemon and onions.
>> Or battered and quick fried.
>>
>> Oysters and clams...raw is such a waste of their lives.
>> Especially those contests where drunks try to eat
>> the most in so many minutes.
>> Those should be steamed or battered and quick fried.
>>
>> Bottom line, seafood is best (IMO) just slightly cooked.
>>
>> Fuggin' Japanese even butcher a live animal before
>> your eyes and serve a still beating heart with a
>> pair of chopsticks. Damn evil heathens.
>>
>> Guess I'm just a spoiled prince. heheh I've lived right by fresh
>> ocean or bay seafood most of my life so I'm used to very fresh
>> all. The only crappy grocery store seafood I'll buy occasionally
>> is shrimp. When I eat seafood, not all that often, I'll either
>> harvest them myself from the water, or buy from the local seafood
>> market. Fishing is boring to me but I have friends that love
>> fishing. They supply me with the occasional fresh fish.
>>
>> Even fresh and immediately frozen seafood is better that grocery
>> store frozen. Canned seafood is a joke. I do eat canned tuna
>> occasionally and I do have one can of BONELESS salmon. Silly to
>> buy a can of salmon filled with the bones. Even my cat wouldn't
>> eat that. No one should ever buy canned crab.
>>
>> I could go on and on but this is just me. Not quite Sheldon but
>> I'm working on it.

> One of my favorite seafood dishs is an ALT... Anchovy, Lettuce, and
> Tomato on a Kaiser roll, dressed with the anchovy oil.
> I actually like pickled and cold smoked fish better than cooked fish.

I like the ALT recipe .. love the ingredients and will try it soon!
Pickled and cold smoked fish are cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 4:44:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 7:50:37 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > I've no idea what Miyako Special maki is nor do I feel like searching,
> > however if it costs the kitchen an extra 50¢ per each extra slice I'd
> > say bring it me uncut, I'll cut it all myself and take the $2.50
> > cutting fee off my tab! Actually I'd much prefer cutting up my food
> > myself, last time my mommy cut up my food I was perhaps 3 years old.
> > Now that I looked it up and know it's sorta the shape of a spring roll
> > I wouldn't want the kitchen to cut it up at all. bring it to me whole
> > and I'll either cut it myself or consider it finger food same as I eat
> > a spring/egg roll.
> >
> > Actually I'd simply get up and leave, I'd not need to tell them that
> > I'd never darken their door again because they'd figure that out...
> > their slant eye food can't be so good I'd miss it nor would they be
> > the only show in town. I'd not pay $1 for anyone's Miyako Special
> > maki... a sliver of raw fish 'n white rice doesn't turn me on....
> > sounds like dwar'fish chow.. I'd never darken the door of any sushi
> > joint. blech Over priced Friskies... they should be serving their
> > patrons in a bowl on the floor, just like Fluffy. I think sushi
> > should be free, just like peanuts n' pretzels at any gin mill... it's
> > friggin' uncooked fish, bring me to Lung Guyland and I can hook a boat
> > load in a couple three hours.
> > Truth is I consider sushi poor man's crab trap bait, actually it's
> > chum. Any fish not worth cooking, smoking, pickling is bait... and
> > white rice has no intrinsic value whatsoever... even common salt has
> > greater value. In the past common salt was coin of the realm. raw
> > seafood never had any value and still has no value, white rice is
> > coolie grub, Fish is all yoose want for free, just bait a hook.

> Oddly enough I had some raw fish and rice for lunch. Tasty! The sauce on
> the
> chum is Sriracha and mayo. Sriracha and mayo has pretty much changed our
> lives for the better. Spicy and smooth - amazing!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...3eaPV-ZTbia9r-
>
> ====
>
> For the first time ever, I was told that group does not exist
>
> When Carol posts pics, I am asked to login (I don't know what to do for
> that.) But when you post, it usually goes straight in!

That's odd. I don't know what the problem would be...

Last night I stuck some taro leaves in the slow cooker and then put some
pork on top of that. The pork was injected with a solution of water, sugar,
salt, and liquid smoke. It's been cooking since last night - hopefully. I
haven't checked it yet because I haven't got out of bed yet.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9hY1-mNiy9ELrI

===

Since i am never likely to have or even see taro leaves .... I hope they
turn out as you hope)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 9:17:07 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> [...]

> > lives for the better. Spicy and smooth - amazing!
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...3eaPV-ZTbia9r-
> >
> > ====
> >
> > For the first time ever, I was told that group does not exist
> >
> > When Carol posts pics, I am asked to login (I don't know what to do for
> > that.) But when you post, it usually goes straight in!

> That's odd. I don't know what the problem would be...
>
> Last night I stuck some taro leaves in the slow cooker and then put some
> pork on top of that. The pork was injected with a solution of water, sugar,
> salt, and liquid smoke. It's been cooking since last night - hopefully. I
> haven't checked it yet because I haven't got out of bed yet.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9hY1-mNiy9ELrI
>
> ===
>
> Since i am never likely to have or even see taro leaves .... I hope they

Cooking taro is fairly easy - you just cook the shit out of it until it's edible. If you don't cook it long enough, it's going to irritate your throat.. Mostly, I'm cooking the taro leaves, the pork is just along for the ride.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> > that.) But when you post, it usually goes straight in!

> That's odd. I don't know what the problem would be...
>
> Last night I stuck some taro leaves in the slow cooker and then put some
> pork on top of that. The pork was injected with a solution of water,
> sugar,
> salt, and liquid smoke. It's been cooking since last night - hopefully. I
> haven't checked it yet because I haven't got out of bed yet.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9hY1-mNiy9ELrI
>
> ===
>
> Since i am never likely to have or even see taro leaves .... I hope
> they
> turn out as you hope)

Cooking taro is fairly easy - you just cook the shit out of it until it's
edible. If you don't cook it long enough, it's going to irritate your
throat. Mostly, I'm cooking the taro leaves, the pork is just along for the

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> I still say that about seafood specifically. IMO, no seafood is
> >> better
> >> tasting when raw. Just lightly cooking enhances it.
> >>
> >> Not only heat cooking but also cooking with something acidic.
> >> Ceviche method is better than raw.
> >>
> >> I've tried raw tuna like so many think is good.
> >> Good yes, but just a quick sear on high heat
> >> is even better.Slightly cooked but still very rare.
> >> Salmon, same thing.
> >> Other fish is best quickly broiled with lemon and onions.
> >> Or battered and quick fried.
> >>
> >> Oysters and clams...raw is such a waste of their lives.
> >> Especially those contests where drunks try to eat
> >> the most in so many minutes.
> >> Those should be steamed or battered and quick fried.
> >>
> >> Bottom line, seafood is best (IMO) just slightly cooked.
> >>
> >> Fuggin' Japanese even butcher a live animal before
> >> your eyes and serve a still beating heart with a
> >> pair of chopsticks. Damn evil heathens.
> >>
> >> Guess I'm just a spoiled prince. heheh I've lived right by fresh
> >> ocean or bay seafood most of my life so I'm used to very fresh
> >> all. The only crappy grocery store seafood I'll buy occasionally
> >> is shrimp. When I eat seafood, not all that often, I'll either
> >> harvest them myself from the water, or buy from the local seafood
> >> market. Fishing is boring to me but I have friends that love
> >> fishing. They supply me with the occasional fresh fish.
> >>
> >> Even fresh and immediately frozen seafood is better that grocery
> >> store frozen. Canned seafood is a joke. I do eat canned tuna
> >> occasionally and I do have one can of BONELESS salmon. Silly to
> >> buy a can of salmon filled with the bones. Even my cat wouldn't
> >> eat that. No one should ever buy canned crab.
> >>
> >> I could go on and on but this is just me. Not quite Sheldon but
> >> I'm working on it.

> > One of my favorite seafood dishs is an ALT... Anchovy, Lettuce, and
> > Tomato on a Kaiser roll, dressed with the anchovy oil.
> > I actually like pickled and cold smoked fish better than cooked fish.
> >

> I like the ALT recipe .. love the ingredients and will try it soon!
> Pickled and cold smoked fish are cooked.

Pickled fish (as in escabeche) has the proteins denatured similar to
cooking, but it is not cooked. Cold smoked (which is often cured
before smoking) is the same.

The difference in taste (except for the smoke flavor) and texture
between cold smoked and raw fish is so minor, I'm forced to conclude
that for people who will eat one but not the other, the difference
is all in their heads.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> One of my favorite seafood dishs is an ALT... Anchovy, Lettuce, and
>>> Tomato on a Kaiser roll, dressed with the anchovy oil.
>>> I actually like pickled and cold smoked fish better than cooked fish.
>>>

>> I like the ALT recipe .. love the ingredients and will try it soon!
>> Pickled and cold smoked fish are cooked.

> Pickled fish (as in escabeche) has the proteins denatured similar to
> cooking, but it is not cooked. Cold smoked (which is often cured
> before smoking) is the same.
>
> The difference in taste (except for the smoke flavor) and texture
> between cold smoked and raw fish is so minor, I'm forced to conclude
> that for people who will eat one but not the other, the difference
> is all in their heads.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

You are absolutely correct. I am wrong. I always have considered both
process a cooking. I love the flavor of fresh raw fish and would most
always pick raw over pickled or smoked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > > One of my favorite seafood dishs is an ALT... Anchovy, Lettuce, and
> > > Tomato on a Kaiser roll, dressed with the anchovy oil.
> > > I actually like pickled and cold smoked fish better than cooked fish.
> > >

> > I like the ALT recipe .. love the ingredients and will try it soon!
> > Pickled and cold smoked fish are cooked.

> Pickled fish (as in escabeche) has the proteins denatured similar to
> cooking, but it is not cooked. Cold smoked (which is often cured
> before smoking) is the same.
>
> The difference in taste (except for the smoke flavor) and texture
> between cold smoked and raw fish is so minor, I'm forced to conclude
> that for people who will eat one but not the other, the difference
> is all in their heads.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

There's a sushi place that will blast their sushi with a propane torch. This gives the piece a distinct propane gas taste. Oddly enough, I like the taste of propane gas.

Food snobs/sissies will prefer butane gas, real men use propane. I suppose one could use MAPP gas or acetylene but that might be overkill. OTOH, overkill is good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvuegv1Rlhg