Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipee

Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.

In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.

4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
preference)
1 Cup Cornmeal
1 Cup A/P Flour
Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
1 Tbs. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1-2 Tsp. Salt
1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
1-2 Eggs*

Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
it to 400 degrees Farenheight.

Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.

* I've heard suggestions of 3 eggs. But I think that hurts the flavor.
I think that 3 eggs doesn't improve the rise (which it does), enough
to offset the detriment to flavor.

**With this said? I welcome vigorous debate. Have a quibble with this?
Feel free to say so. *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
discussion. So let's not even try.

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 2:52:29 PM UTC-5, Derek Schur wrote:

> Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.
>
> In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
> to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.
>
> 4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
> preference)
> 1 Cup Cornmeal
>
> 1 Cup A/P Flour

Not needed unless you like cake-y cornbread.

> Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)

Good grief, who in hell would put that much sugar in cornbread? I know, some-
one who doesn't have a clue about cooking this staple.

> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
> 1-2 Tsp. Salt

None of these are needed if you buy self-rising cornmeal.

> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)

No, hell no, not ever. This has me strongly suspecting you are nothing but
a troll.

> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk

Either one is fine.

> 1-2 Eggs*
>
> Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
> it to 400 degrees Farenheight.
>
> Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
> possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
> degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.

Mix dry ingredients 'for as long as possible.' Why? Should we be mixing for
10 minutes, an hour, all day??

> * I've heard suggestions of 3 eggs. But I think that hurts the flavor.
> I think that 3 eggs doesn't improve the rise (which it does), enough
> to offset the detriment to flavor.
>
> **With this said? I welcome vigorous debate. Have a quibble with this?
> Feel free to say so. *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
> thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
> discussion. So let's not even try.

Troll. Only a troll will show up, post a questionable recipe, and then wants
to 'debate' the merits of his *recipe.*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Derek Schur wrote:
> Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.
>
> In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
> to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.
>
> 4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
> preference)
> 1 Cup Cornmeal
> 1 Cup A/P Flour
> Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
> 1-2 Tsp. Salt
> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
> 1-2 Eggs*
>
> Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
> it to 400 degrees Farenheight.
>
> Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
> possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
> degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.
>
> * I've heard suggestions of 3 eggs. But I think that hurts the flavor.
> I think that 3 eggs doesn't improve the rise (which it does), enough
> to offset the detriment to flavor.
>
> **With this said? I welcome vigorous debate. Have a quibble with this?
> Feel free to say so. *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
> thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
> discussion. So let's not even try.
>
> ---
> https://www.avg.com

The hell with butter, margarine or vegetable oil. Only use in an
emergency.

(1) Use pure bacon grease, saved when yoose fry bacon.

(2) Ditch the flour ... that's for cakes and biscuits.

(3) Use decent cornmeal for cornbread. Feed the crap stuff to the pigs.

Even yankees love it.

P.S. Check yoose cupboard for anything with "jiffy" in the name, and
throw it out the window.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 9:52:29 AM UTC-10, Derek Schur wrote:
> Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.
>
> In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
> to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.
>
> 4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
> preference)
> 1 Cup Cornmeal
> 1 Cup A/P Flour
> Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
> 1-2 Tsp. Salt
> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
> 1-2 Eggs*
>
> Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
> it to 400 degrees Farenheight.
>
> Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
> possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
> degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.
>
> * I've heard suggestions of 3 eggs. But I think that hurts the flavor.
> I think that 3 eggs doesn't improve the rise (which it does), enough
> to offset the detriment to flavor.
>
> **With this said? I welcome vigorous debate. Have a quibble with this?
> Feel free to say so. *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
> thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
> discussion. So let's not even try.
>
> ---
> https://www.avg.com

Us folks in the way, way, down South love cornbread too. My guess is that it would make you Northern-southerners just plotz.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17...iki-cornbread/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 12:52:29 PM UTC-7, Derek Schur wrote:
> Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.
>
> In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
> to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.
>
> 4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
> preference)
> 1 Cup Cornmeal
> 1 Cup A/P Flour
> Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
> 1-2 Tsp. Salt
> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
> 1-2 Eggs*
>
> Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
> it to 400 degrees Farenheight.
>
> Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
> possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
> degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.
>
> * I've heard suggestions of 3 eggs. But I think that hurts the flavor.
> I think that 3 eggs doesn't improve the rise (which it does), enough
> to offset the detriment to flavor.
>
> **With this said? I welcome vigorous debate. Have a quibble with this?
> Feel free to say so. *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
> thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
> discussion. So let's not even try.
>
> ---
> https://www.avg.com

this is still what I consider the best. This is the cornbread we served in the restaurant every day.

https://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/...den-corn-bread

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 3:43:01 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> The hell with butter, margarine or vegetable oil. Only use in an
> emergency.
>
> (1) Use pure bacon grease, saved when yoose fry bacon.

YES!

> (2) Ditch the flour ... that's for cakes and biscuits.

YES!

> (3) Use decent cornmeal for cornbread. Feed the crap stuff to the pigs.

YES!

> Even yankees love it.

If they don't, they should.

> P.S. Check yoose cupboard for anything with "jiffy" in the name, and
> throw it out the window.

It does make me wonder if he's trying to recreate the Jiffy cornbread mix.
But that nutmeg, oh lord. I love it in desserts but cornbread ain't dessert.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 4:11:07 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> Us folks in the way, way, down South love cornbread too. My guess is that it would make you Northern-southerners just plotz.
>
> https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17...iki-cornbread/

Why even bother to add the cornmeal?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 11:40:47 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 4:11:07 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Us folks in the way, way, down South love cornbread too. My guess is that it would make you Northern-southerners just plotz.
> >
> > https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17...iki-cornbread/
> >

> Why even bother to add the cornmeal?

The cornmeal makes it tasty. I got this recipe back in college. My wife set up a meeting at a Christian reading room with her haole friend to do the recipe transfer. The 1 cup of sugar and butter as well as the use of Bisquick mix shook me to my core. This cake dares go where others fear to tread. My guess is that it's roots like deep in the Mormon tradition - don't quote me, I could be wrong.

Personally, I think it should be called "Hawaiian Delight Cake" to avoid all the flack of calling it "cornbread." As a mater of fact, as a member of the Hawaiian Royalty, I now bestow this new name upon this cake as befitting of it's delightful nature.

Mahalo and Aloha.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Jun 2019 15:52:10 -0400, Derek Schur
> wrote:

>Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.
>
>In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
>to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.
>
>4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
>preference)
>1 Cup Cornmeal
>1 Cup A/P Flour

You had me until you said AP Flour... There is never a need for flour
in corn bread, ever

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 12:12:12 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jun 2019 15:52:10 -0400, Derek Schur
> > wrote:
>
> >Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.
> >
> >In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
> >to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.
> >
> >4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
> >preference)
> >1 Cup Cornmeal
> >1 Cup A/P Flour

> You had me until you said AP Flour... There is never a need for flour
> in corn bread, ever
>
> >Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
> >if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
> >1 Tbs. Baking Powder
> >1 Tsp. Baking Soda
> >1-2 Tsp. Salt
> >1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
> >1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
> >1-2 Eggs*
> >
> >Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
> >it to 400 degrees Farenheight.
> >
> >Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
> >possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
> >degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.
> >
> >* I've heard suggestions of 3 eggs. But I think that hurts the flavor.
> >I think that 3 eggs doesn't improve the rise (which it does), enough
> >to offset the detriment to flavor.
> >
> >**With this said? I welcome vigorous debate. Have a quibble with this?
> >Feel free to say so. *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
> >thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
> >discussion. So let's not even try.
> >
> >---
> >https://www.avg.com

> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Indeed it is a holy war. The heathens demand no flour, sugar, or butter in their bread. The pious will not stand for such hearsay. The do not require the milk of the butter to moisten their flours. Surely, sweetness and lightness shall follow them for the rest of their days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 11:40:47 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 4:11:07 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Us folks in the way, way, down South love cornbread too. My guess is that it would make you Northern-southerners just plotz.
>>>
>>> https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17...iki-cornbread/
>>>

>> Why even bother to add the cornmeal?

> The cornmeal makes it tasty. I got this recipe back in college. My wife set up a meeting at a Christian reading room with her haole friend to do the recipe transfer. The 1 cup of sugar and butter as well as the use of Bisquick mix shook me to my core. This cake dares go where others fear to tread. My guess is that it's roots like deep in the Mormon tradition - don't quote me, I could be wrong.
>
> Personally, I think it should be called "Hawaiian Delight Cake" to avoid all the flack of calling it "cornbread." As a mater of fact, as a member of the Hawaiian Royalty, I now bestow this new name upon this cake as befitting of it's delightful nature.
>
> Mahalo and Aloha.

It won't be hiwaian unless yoose put a bunch of pineapple in it.
Yoose needs more sugar too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 5:03:30 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> Personally, I think it should be called "Hawaiian Delight Cake" to avoid all the flack of calling it "cornbread."
> Mahalo and Aloha.

Agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 1:43:32 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 5:03:30 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I think it should be called "Hawaiian Delight Cake" to avoid all the flack of calling it "cornbread."
> > Mahalo and Aloha.
> >

> Agree.

My recommendation is that one does not partake of Hawaiian Delight Cake unless their fitness is top notch and their age is not over 40ish. That stuff'll kill you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 1:43:32 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 5:03:30 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Personally, I think it should be called "Hawaiian Delight Cake" to avoid all the flack of calling it "cornbread."
>>> Mahalo and Aloha.
>>>

>> Agree.

> My recommendation is that one does not partake of Hawaiian Delight Cake unless their fitness is top notch and their age is not over 40ish. That stuff'll kill you!

AMEN Haoles can't handle hiwaiian food. They usually puke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 7:10:49 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> My recommendation is that one does not partake of Hawaiian Delight Cake unless their fitness is top notch and their age is not over 40ish. That stuff'll kill you!

I can believe it. I think I gained about a half pound just checking out the
recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 19:18:24 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:

>>> Agree.

>> My recommendation is that one does not partake of Hawaiian Delight Cake unless their fitness is top notch and their age is not over 40ish. That stuff'll kill you!
>>

>AMEN Haoles can't handle hiwaiian food. They usually puke.

That's poke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/6/2019 4:06 PM, wrote:
> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 2:52:29 PM UTC-5, Derek Schur wrote:
>>
>> Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.

No one cares. Thanks, Joan!

>> In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
>> to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.
>>
>> 4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
>> preference)
>> 1 Cup Cornmeal
>>
>> 1 Cup A/P Flour
>>

> Not needed unless you like cake-y cornbread.
>>
>> Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
>> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
>>

> Good grief, who in hell would put that much sugar in cornbread? I know, some-
> one who doesn't have a clue about cooking this staple.

The only time I ever had cakey, very sweet cornbread was when I visited
Boston, Massachusettes. I was with a friend in a pub and a waiter came
over and offered us some cornbread. She (who was born and raised in TN)
said to me, "You won't like it. It's very sweet. Sure enough, it
tasted like and had the texture of sweet white cake. No thank you!

>> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
>> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
>> 1-2 Tsp. Salt
>>

> None of these are needed if you buy self-rising cornmeal.

I don't buy self-rising cornmeal. I don't mind adding the ingredients
to AP flour. The poster is still a troll.

>> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)

OMG, no, it does not.

> No, hell no, not ever. This has me strongly suspecting you are nothing but
> a troll.

Gee, ya think? LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 13:06:24 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 2:52:29 PM UTC-5, Derek Schur wrote:
>
>> Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
>> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)

> Good grief, who in hell would put that much sugar in cornbread? I know, some-
> one who doesn't have a clue about cooking this staple.

He already called that one - he saw your type coming. I hjave seen
1:1:1 cornbread recipes many times.

>> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
>> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
>> 1-2 Tsp. Salt
>>

> None of these are needed if you buy self-rising cornmeal.

I would rather buy cornmeal and make it "self-rising" on demand.
What if I want regular cornmeal for something else, like my pizza
crusts? Same with "self-rising" flour. Just buy flour.

>> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
>>

> No, hell no, not ever. This has me strongly suspecting you are nothing but
> a troll.

Now you're pushing it.

>> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
>>

> Either one is fine.

It makes a difference.

>> 1-2 Eggs*
>>
>> Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
>> it to 400 degrees Farenheight.
>>
>> Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
>> possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
>> degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.
>>

> Mix dry ingredients 'for as long as possible.' Why? Should we be mixing for
> 10 minutes, an hour, all day??

Because the cornmeal rehydrates and gives a different texture. You
just dis'ed cakey.

> Troll. Only a troll will show up, post a questionable recipe, and then wants
> to 'debate' the merits of his *recipe.*

Have you been drinking tonight? Crack? Meth?

I'm not a cornbread fan, but its clear his post was in true sprit.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 20:16:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 20:49:22 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> The poster is still a troll.

>WTF is wrong with the women of RFC tonight?

They're jealous of John and his teller.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 20:49:22 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> The poster is still a troll.

WTF is wrong with the women of RFC tonight?

Don't mind them, Derek.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 4:11:07 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> Us folks in the way, way, down South love cornbread too. My guess is that
>> it would make you Northern-southerners just plotz.
>>
>> https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17...iki-cornbread/
>>

> Why even bother to add the cornmeal?

Texture?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 15:42:54 -0500, Hank Rogers >
wrote:

>Derek Schur wrote:
>> Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.
>>
>> In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
>> to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.
>>
>> 4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
>> preference)
>> 1 Cup Cornmeal
>> 1 Cup A/P Flour
>> Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
>> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
>> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
>> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
>> 1-2 Tsp. Salt
>> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
>> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
>> 1-2 Eggs*
>>
>> Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
>> it to 400 degrees Farenheight.
>>
>> Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
>> possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
>> degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.
>>
>> * I've heard suggestions of 3 eggs. But I think that hurts the flavor.
>> I think that 3 eggs doesn't improve the rise (which it does), enough
>> to offset the detriment to flavor.
>>
>> **With this said? I welcome vigorous debate. Have a quibble with this?
>> Feel free to say so. *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
>> thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
>> discussion. So let's not even try.
>>
>> ---
>> https://www.avg.com
>>

>The hell with butter, margarine or vegetable oil. Only use in an
>emergency.
>
>(1) Use pure bacon grease, saved when yoose fry bacon.
>
>(2) Ditch the flour ... that's for cakes and biscuits.
>
>(3) Use decent cornmeal for cornbread. Feed the crap stuff to the pigs.
>
>Even yankees love it.
>
>P.S. Check yoose cupboard for anything with "jiffy" in the name, and
>throw it out the window.

So far, this is the only comment that I think offeres an improvement.
I'd absolutely use bacon grease, if I had a steady supply. Read: if I
cooked bacon, often enough for the grease to be reliable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 14:11:03 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 9:52:29 AM UTC-10, Derek Schur wrote:
>> Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.
>>
>> In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
>> to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.
>>
>> 4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
>> preference)
>> 1 Cup Cornmeal
>> 1 Cup A/P Flour
>> Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
>> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
>> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
>> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
>> 1-2 Tsp. Salt
>> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
>> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
>> 1-2 Eggs*
>>
>> Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
>> it to 400 degrees Farenheight.
>>
>> Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
>> possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
>> degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.
>>
>> * I've heard suggestions of 3 eggs. But I think that hurts the flavor.
>> I think that 3 eggs doesn't improve the rise (which it does), enough
>> to offset the detriment to flavor.
>>
>> **With this said? I welcome vigorous debate. Have a quibble with this?
>> Feel free to say so. *EXCEPT* for one point. The Northern/Southern
>> thing. I.E.--sugar. That's a Holy War that just can not be resolved by
>> discussion. So let's not even try.
>>
>> ---
>> https://www.avg.com

>Us folks in the way, way, down South love cornbread too. My guess is that it would make you Northern-southerners just plotz.
>
>https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17...iki-cornbread/

This actually sounds pretty good, even if it's not what I'd typically
think of, when I think "cornbread". <3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 12:11:53 PM UTC-10, Derek Schur wrote:

> This actually sounds pretty good, even if it's not what I'd typically
> think of, when I think "cornbread". <3

It is cornbread from a people that have absolutely no history of making or eating cornbread. I expect that it would be similar to some guy in Alabama making a laulau. That would probably make me shudder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 15:38:35 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 12:11:53 PM UTC-10, Derek Schur wrote:
>>

>> This actually sounds pretty good, even if it's not what I'd typically
>> think of, when I think "cornbread". <3

>It is cornbread from a people that have absolutely no history of making or eating cornbread. I expect that it would be similar to some guy in Alabama making a laulau. That would probably make me shudder.

He could be Alabama's only purist.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 5:09:45 PM UTC-5, Derek Schur wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 15:42:54 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> wrote:
>
> >(1) Use pure bacon grease, saved when yoose fry bacon.

> So far, this is the only comment that I think offeres an improvement.
> I'd absolutely use bacon grease, if I had a steady supply. Read: if I
> cooked bacon, often enough for the grease to be reliable.

Go to the store and buy a small hunk of fat back. Cut it into small pieces
and fry until it releases as much grease it will. Pour that grease into a
small jar (glass jelly jar works great) and use a good screw top lid; store
in your refrigerator until you want to make real cornbread. It's also great
for flavoring canned green beans that need to simmer on the stove.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 8:17:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 5:09:45 PM UTC-5, Derek Schur wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 15:42:54 -0500, Hank Rogers >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >(1) Use pure bacon grease, saved when yoose fry bacon.

> > So far, this is the only comment that I think offeres an improvement.
> > I'd absolutely use bacon grease, if I had a steady supply. Read: if I
> > cooked bacon, often enough for the grease to be reliable.
> >

> Go to the store and buy a small hunk of fat back. Cut it into small pieces
> and fry until it releases as much grease it will. Pour that grease into a
> small jar (glass jelly jar works great) and use a good screw top lid; store
> in your refrigerator until you want to make real cornbread. It's also great
> for flavoring canned green beans that need to simmer on the stove.

Fatback isn't smoked, though.

I know it's time to buy bacon when our stash of bacon grease is getting
low.

Canned green beans are already overcooked. They don't need to simmer
on the stove.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 4:56:42 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 8:17:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> >
> > Go to the store and buy a small hunk of fat back.

> Fatback isn't smoked, though.

True, but as little as he knows about cornbread I don't it would matter in his
attempts to make it.

> I know it's time to buy bacon when our stash of bacon grease is getting
> low.
>
> Canned green beans are already overcooked. They don't need to simmer
> on the stove.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

They need something beside just plain salt and heating through and a smidge of
bacon grease helps tremendously. If he chooses plain frozen green beans then they need all the help they can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 1:07:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 4:56:42 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 8:17:55 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > >
> > > Go to the store and buy a small hunk of fat back.

> > Fatback isn't smoked, though.
> >

> True, but as little as he knows about cornbread I don't it would matter in his
> attempts to make it.
> >
> > I know it's time to buy bacon when our stash of bacon grease is getting
> > low.
> >
> > Canned green beans are already overcooked. They don't need to simmer
> > on the stove.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> They need something beside just plain salt and heating through and a smidge of
> bacon grease helps tremendously. If he chooses plain frozen green beans then they need all the help they can get.

I prefer frozen green beans. A little butter and salt is all they need
after cooking tender-crisp.

Well, I prefer fresh ones, but frozen are a lot easier when trying to
pull together a quick dinner on a work night.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 12:24:34 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I prefer frozen green beans. A little butter and salt is all they need
> after cooking tender-crisp.
>
> Well, I prefer fresh ones, but frozen are a lot easier when trying to
> pull together a quick dinner on a work night.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I don't know what it is with me and frozen green beans. I can't seem to let
them alone; too much stirring on my part. By the time they are ready to eat
it looks like the lawn mower has had a go at them. I stick with the canned variety as I don't have that compulsion to stir, stir, stir, stir, stir, stir.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 2:59:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 12:24:34 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I prefer frozen green beans. A little butter and salt is all they need
> > after cooking tender-crisp.
> >
> > Well, I prefer fresh ones, but frozen are a lot easier when trying to
> > pull together a quick dinner on a work night.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> I don't know what it is with me and frozen green beans. I can't seem to let
> them alone; too much stirring on my part. By the time they are ready to eat
> it looks like the lawn mower has had a go at them. I stick with the canned variety as I don't have that compulsion to stir, stir, stir, stir, stir, stir.

Beans in a glass bowl. Five minutes in the microwave. Rest 1 minute.
Done.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2019 8:44 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 2:59:42 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 12:24:34 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> I prefer frozen green beans. A little butter and salt is all they need
>>> after cooking tender-crisp.
>>>
>>> Well, I prefer fresh ones, but frozen are a lot easier when trying to
>>> pull together a quick dinner on a work night.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I don't know what it is with me and frozen green beans. I can't seem to let
>> them alone; too much stirring on my part. By the time they are ready to eat
>> it looks like the lawn mower has had a go at them. I stick with the canned variety as I don't have that compulsion to stir, stir, stir, stir, stir, stir.

> Beans in a glass bowl. Five minutes in the microwave. Rest 1 minute.
> Done.

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > Beans in a glass bowl. Five minutes in the microwave. Rest 1 minute.
> > Done.
> >

> Yes.

I do that too but set a small ceramic plate on top as a lid to
hold in the steam. This is how I heat up/cook all frozen
vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 8:01:20 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > > Beans in a glass bowl. Five minutes in the microwave. Rest 1 minute.
> > > Done.
> > >

> > Yes.

> I do that too but set a small ceramic plate on top as a lid to
> hold in the steam. This is how I heat up/cook all frozen
> vegetables.

Thank you. I forgot to mention the lid.

Cindy Hamilton

Ultimate Cornbread recipe Derek Schur Baking 6 12-12-2019 09:36 PM
Ultimate Hot Dog Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 1 02-04-2016 05:41 AM
Ultimate Hot Dog gtr General Cooking 1 31-03-2016 08:01 AM
Ultimate Hot Dog Sqwertz General Cooking 0 31-03-2016 04:50 AM
Ultimate Hot Dog gtr General Cooking 0 29-03-2016 10:55 PM