FoodBanter.com

-   -   Tonights Dinner (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/447128-tonights-dinner.html)

[email protected][_2_] 06-06-2019 08:19 PM

Tonights Dinner

Last week I bought a bag 'Frontier Soups' 11 bean soup mix and it's simmering
away on the stove as I write. The bag came with a recipe which I've followed
and even though not completely done, it's shaping up to be quite good.

Their recipe called for a ham hock, 29 ounce can of Italian plum tomatoes, cut
up; diced onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and 12 cups of water. All I had was the large can of petite diced tomatoes so in it went after simmering for
three hours. At that time I fished out the two sliced ham hocks, and added the other requirements along with two 8-ounce packages of diced ham and one 8-ounce package of cubed ham. I thought I had grabbed two packages of cubed ham but no
matter; the ham hock went back in too, after picking off the fat and discarding
the bones.

The recipe on the package called for smoked Kielbasa and chicken breast
pieces but I decided to stick with all ham. Package proclaims it to be gluten
free for those interested.

www.frontiersoups.com

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 06-06-2019 09:09 PM

Tonights Dinner

On 6/6/2019 3:19 PM, wrote:

> Last week I bought a bag 'Frontier Soups' 11 bean soup mix and it's simmering
> away on the stove as I write. The bag came with a recipe which I've followed
> and even though not completely done, it's shaping up to be quite good.
>
> Their recipe called for a ham hock, 29 ounce can of Italian plum tomatoes, cut
> up; diced onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and 12 cups of water. All I had was the large can of petite diced tomatoes so in it went after simmering for
> three hours. At that time I fished out the two sliced ham hocks, and added the other requirements along with two 8-ounce packages of diced ham and one 8-ounce package of cubed ham. I thought I had grabbed two packages of cubed ham but no
> matter; the ham hock went back in too, after picking off the fat and discarding
> the bones.
>
> The recipe on the package called for smoked Kielbasa and chicken breast
> pieces but I decided to stick with all ham. Package proclaims it to be gluten
> free for those interested.

www.frontiersoups.com

Sounds good. I've used similar mixes like that with good results.
Sure, you can make good soups, but you'd not put together 11 different
beans for one so these mixes are handy for that.

[email protected][_2_] 06-06-2019 09:17 PM

Tonights Dinner

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 3:09:23 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Sounds good. I've used similar mixes like that with good results.
> Sure, you can make good soups, but you'd not put together 11 different
> beans for one so these mixes are handy for that.

The kitchen timer just went off and I gave a taste and yes, it is VERY good.
I've portioned out a good size bowl and will let it cool for a few minutes.

Several years ago a friend gave me a bag of 7-bean soup mix and that recipe
called for chili powder and I had serious doubts. But it was outstanding
and I've not been able to locate another inclusive bag like that so when I
saw this one at the grocery I snapped it up.

dsi1[_2_] 06-06-2019 09:23 PM

Tonights Dinner

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 9:19:49 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> Last week I bought a bag 'Frontier Soups' 11 bean soup mix and it's simmering
> away on the stove as I write. The bag came with a recipe which I've followed
> and even though not completely done, it's shaping up to be quite good.
>
> Their recipe called for a ham hock, 29 ounce can of Italian plum tomatoes, cut
> up; diced onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and 12 cups of water. All I had was the large can of petite diced tomatoes so in it went after simmering for
> three hours. At that time I fished out the two sliced ham hocks, and added the other requirements along with two 8-ounce packages of diced ham and one 8-ounce package of cubed ham. I thought I had grabbed two packages of cubed ham but no
> matter; the ham hock went back in too, after picking off the fat and discarding
> the bones.
>
> The recipe on the package called for smoked Kielbasa and chicken breast
> pieces but I decided to stick with all ham. Package proclaims it to be gluten
> free for those interested.
>
> www.frontiersoups.com

I'll probably make some beef tomato - not the Cantonese dish but Hawaiian beef tomato. This morning, I made some pancakes for the wife and kids. Thanks to the Krusteaz Co., I can whip up some batter in less than a minute. :)

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...FCTbkP1eKCN-gK

Hank Rogers[_3_] 06-06-2019 09:26 PM

Tonights Dinner

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/6/2019 3:19 PM, wrote:
>>
>> Last week I bought a bag 'Frontier Soups' 11 bean soup mix and
>> it's simmering
>> away on the stove as I write.* The bag came with a recipe which
>> I've followed
>> and even though not completely done, it's shaping up to be quite
>> good.
>>
>> Their recipe called for a ham hock, 29 ounce can of Italian plum
>> tomatoes, cut
>> up; diced onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and 12 cups of
>> water.* All I had was the large can of petite diced tomatoes so in
>> it went after simmering for
>> three hours.* At that time I fished out the two sliced ham hocks,
>> and added the other requirements along with two 8-ounce packages
>> of diced ham and one 8-ounce package of cubed ham.* I thought I
>> had grabbed two packages of cubed ham but no
>> matter; the ham hock went back in too, after picking off the fat
>> and discarding
>> the bones.
>>
>> The recipe on the package called for smoked Kielbasa and chicken
>> breast
>> pieces but I decided to stick with all ham.* Package proclaims it
>> to be gluten
>> free for those interested.

www.frontiersoups.com

> Sounds good.* I've used similar mixes like that with good results.
> Sure, you can make good soups, but you'd not put together 11
> different beans for one so these mixes are handy for that.

I've used lots of those mixed bean packages, and always had good
results, though, like Joan, I usually deviated from the package recipe.

The only trouble I ever had was occasionally the garbanzo beans were
still a little hard after all the others were done. But only once in
a while ... probably just a bad batch.

They cost a little more, but are worth it unless you eat tons of
beans like Julie, or don't mind storing a dozen partly used bean
packages.

Hank Rogers[_3_] 06-06-2019 09:47 PM

Tonights Dinner

dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 9:19:49 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> Last week I bought a bag 'Frontier Soups' 11 bean soup mix and it's simmering
>> away on the stove as I write. The bag came with a recipe which I've followed
>> and even though not completely done, it's shaping up to be quite good.
>>
>> Their recipe called for a ham hock, 29 ounce can of Italian plum tomatoes, cut
>> up; diced onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and 12 cups of water. All I had was the large can of petite diced tomatoes so in it went after simmering for
>> three hours. At that time I fished out the two sliced ham hocks, and added the other requirements along with two 8-ounce packages of diced ham and one 8-ounce package of cubed ham. I thought I had grabbed two packages of cubed ham but no
>> matter; the ham hock went back in too, after picking off the fat and discarding
>> the bones.
>>
>> The recipe on the package called for smoked Kielbasa and chicken breast
>> pieces but I decided to stick with all ham. Package proclaims it to be gluten
>> free for those interested.
>>
>> www.frontiersoups.com

> I'll probably make some beef tomato - not the Cantonese dish but Hawaiian beef tomato. This morning, I made some pancakes for the wife and kids. Thanks to the Krusteaz Co., I can whip up some batter in less than a minute. :)
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...FCTbkP1eKCN-gK

Us Haoles on the mainland like beans and ham in our pancakes ... and
NO pineapples, 'cept for Popeye.

dsi1[_2_] 06-06-2019 10:06 PM

Tonights Dinner

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 10:47:32 AM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 9:19:49 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> >> Last week I bought a bag 'Frontier Soups' 11 bean soup mix and it's simmering
> >> away on the stove as I write. The bag came with a recipe which I've followed
> >> and even though not completely done, it's shaping up to be quite good.
> >>
> >> Their recipe called for a ham hock, 29 ounce can of Italian plum tomatoes, cut
> >> up; diced onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and 12 cups of water. All I had was the large can of petite diced tomatoes so in it went after simmering for
> >> three hours. At that time I fished out the two sliced ham hocks, and added the other requirements along with two 8-ounce packages of diced ham and one 8-ounce package of cubed ham. I thought I had grabbed two packages of cubed ham but no
> >> matter; the ham hock went back in too, after picking off the fat and discarding
> >> the bones.
> >>
> >> The recipe on the package called for smoked Kielbasa and chicken breast
> >> pieces but I decided to stick with all ham. Package proclaims it to be gluten
> >> free for those interested.
> >>
> >> www.frontiersoups.com

> > I'll probably make some beef tomato - not the Cantonese dish but Hawaiian beef tomato. This morning, I made some pancakes for the wife and kids. Thanks to the Krusteaz Co., I can whip up some batter in less than a minute. :)
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...FCTbkP1eKCN-gK
> >

> Us Haoles on the mainland like beans and ham in our pancakes ... and
> NO pineapples, 'cept for Popeye.

Yes, that is my understanding.

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-06-2019 12:29 AM

Tonights Dinner

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 6/6/2019 3:19 PM, wrote:
>>>
>>> Last week I bought a bag 'Frontier Soups' 11 bean soup mix and it's
>>> simmering
>>> away on the stove as I write. The bag came with a recipe which I've
>>> followed
>>> and even though not completely done, it's shaping up to be quite good.
>>>
>>> Their recipe called for a ham hock, 29 ounce can of Italian plum
>>> tomatoes, cut
>>> up; diced onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and 12 cups of water. All
>>> I had was the large can of petite diced tomatoes so in it went after
>>> simmering for
>>> three hours. At that time I fished out the two sliced ham hocks, and
>>> added the other requirements along with two 8-ounce packages of diced
>>> ham and one 8-ounce package of cubed ham. I thought I had grabbed two
>>> packages of cubed ham but no
>>> matter; the ham hock went back in too, after picking off the fat and
>>> discarding
>>> the bones.
>>>
>>> The recipe on the package called for smoked Kielbasa and chicken breast
>>> pieces but I decided to stick with all ham. Package proclaims it to be
>>> gluten
>>> free for those interested.

www.frontiersoups.com

>> Sounds good. I've used similar mixes like that with good results. Sure,
>> you can make good soups, but you'd not put together 11 different beans
>> for one so these mixes are handy for that.

> I've used lots of those mixed bean packages, and always had good results,
> though, like Joan, I usually deviated from the package recipe.
>
> The only trouble I ever had was occasionally the garbanzo beans were still
> a little hard after all the others were done. But only once in a while ...
> probably just a bad batch.
>
> They cost a little more, but are worth it unless you eat tons of beans
> like Julie, or don't mind storing a dozen partly used bean packages.

I don't think I have 11 different kinds of dried beans. Maybe 7. I was
thinking of making bean with bacon soup.

Hank Rogers[_3_] 07-06-2019 01:01 AM

Tonights Dinner

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

www.frontiersoups.com

>>> Sounds good. I've used similar mixes like that with good results.
>>> Sure, you can make good soups, but you'd not put together 11
>>> different beans for one so these mixes are handy for that.

>> I've used lots of those mixed bean packages, and always had good
>> results, though, like Joan, I usually deviated from the package
>> recipe.
>>
>> The only trouble I ever had was occasionally the garbanzo beans
>> were still a little hard after all the others were done. But only
>> once in a while ... probably just a bad batch.
>>
>> They cost a little more, but are worth it unless you eat tons of
>> beans like Julie, or don't mind storing a dozen partly used bean
>> packages.

> I don't think I have 11 different kinds of dried beans. Maybe 7. I
> was thinking of making bean with bacon soup.

I figured you would have every known legume in your pantry.

Hank Rogers[_3_] 07-06-2019 01:11 AM

Tonights Dinner

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

www.frontiersoups.com

>>> Sounds good. I've used similar mixes like that with good results.
>>> Sure, you can make good soups, but you'd not put together 11
>>> different beans for one so these mixes are handy for that.

>> I've used lots of those mixed bean packages, and always had good
>> results, though, like Joan, I usually deviated from the package
>> recipe.
>>
>> The only trouble I ever had was occasionally the garbanzo beans
>> were still a little hard after all the others were done. But only
>> once in a while ... probably just a bad batch.
>>
>> They cost a little more, but are worth it unless you eat tons of
>> beans like Julie, or don't mind storing a dozen partly used bean
>> packages.

> I don't think I have 11 different kinds of dried beans. Maybe 7. I
> was thinking of making bean with bacon soup.

Bean with bacon can be very good with only one type of bean.

You don't really need 11 types of beans.

Sqwertz[_53_] 07-06-2019 02:30 AM

Tonights Dinner

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 12:19:44 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

> At that time I fished out the two sliced ham hocks, and added the
> other requirements along with two 8-ounce packages of diced ham
> and one 8-ounce package of cubed ham.

I prefer cubed ham over diced ham.

-sw

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-06-2019 07:16 AM

Tonights Dinner

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

www.frontiersoups.com

>>> I've used lots of those mixed bean packages, and always had good
>>> results, though, like Joan, I usually deviated from the package recipe.
>>>
>>> The only trouble I ever had was occasionally the garbanzo beans were
>>> still a little hard after all the others were done. But only once in a
>>> while ... probably just a bad batch.
>>>
>>> They cost a little more, but are worth it unless you eat tons of beans
>>> like Julie, or don't mind storing a dozen partly used bean packages.

>> I don't think I have 11 different kinds of dried beans. Maybe 7. I was
>> thinking of making bean with bacon soup.

> I figured you would have every known legume in your pantry.

Nope. I get whatever they sell at Winco. Some beans look pretty but their
taste is no better than the cheap ones. Once in a while I'll get something
fancy at Whole Foods.

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-06-2019 07:17 AM

Tonights Dinner

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

www.frontiersoups.com

>>> I've used lots of those mixed bean packages, and always had good
>>> results, though, like Joan, I usually deviated from the package recipe.
>>>
>>> The only trouble I ever had was occasionally the garbanzo beans were
>>> still a little hard after all the others were done. But only once in a
>>> while ... probably just a bad batch.
>>>
>>> They cost a little more, but are worth it unless you eat tons of beans
>>> like Julie, or don't mind storing a dozen partly used bean packages.

>> I don't think I have 11 different kinds of dried beans. Maybe 7. I was
>> thinking of making bean with bacon soup.

> Bean with bacon can be very good with only one type of bean.
>
> You don't really need 11 types of beans.

Yes. I use whatever small white ones I have.

Janet 07-06-2019 01:37 PM

Tonights Dinner

In article >, says...
> Subject: Tonights Dinner
> From: Hank Rogers >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>
> Julie Bove wrote:
> > [quoted text muted]
> >> beans like Julie, or don't mind storing a dozen partly used bean
> >> packages.

> > I don't think I have 11 different kinds of dried beans. Maybe 7. I
> > was thinking of making bean with bacon soup.

> I figured you would have every known legume in your pantry.

IRTA " in your pants".

Janet UK