Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Red pasta sauce

I jes ran across this:

"The Ingredient You Should Be Adding to yer Pasta Sauce". "it's not
sugar" .....or cinnamon!

https://www.rd.com/food/recipes-cook...o-pasta-sauce/

Who knew!? .....besides Marcella.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 07:58:57 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>I jes ran across this:
>
>"The Ingredient You Should Be Adding to yer Pasta Sauce". "it's not
>sugar" .....or cinnamon!
>
>https://www.rd.com/food/recipes-cook...o-pasta-sauce/
>
>Who knew!? .....besides Marcella.
>
>nb

Nope!! I will just add a bit of sriracha!!

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:
> I jes ran across this:
>
> "The Ingredient You Should Be Adding to yer Pasta Sauce". "it's not
> sugar" .....or cinnamon!
>
> https://www.rd.com/food/recipes-cook...o-pasta-sauce/
>
> Who knew!? .....besides Marcella.
>
> nb

Ive been making this recipe for years. I love it, but the rest of the
family is not so in love with it, so I mostly save making it for when
theyre not around to scoff at it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message ...

I jes ran across this:

"The Ingredient You Should Be Adding to yer Pasta Sauce". "it's not
sugar" .....or cinnamon!

https://www.rd.com/food/recipes-cook...o-pasta-sauce/

Who knew!? .....besides Marcella.

nb

==

Me) Butter makes it all taste wonderful)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Butter is key. Once in a while i will do tomato soup with macaroni and a good tbl of cold butter. It gets dissapointing when the butter on top is gone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
>I jes ran across this:
>
> "The Ingredient You Should Be Adding to yer Pasta Sauce". "it's not
> sugar" .....or cinnamon!
>
> https://www.rd.com/food/recipes-cook...o-pasta-sauce/
>
> Who knew!? .....besides Marcella.

I always add cinnamon and lemon juice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Cindy, aren't you glad you don't have to make adjustments for elevation?
> I sure am! I think most of us on RFC are "flatlanders". Don't know
> about you but I have never had to think about how altitude affects
> cooking and baking.

Even high elevation people make adjustments and learn to live
with it. Probably no big deal after an adjustment period. I live
maybe 20 feet above sea level. No need for a pressure cooker here
unless I'm in a hurry to cook something. Which I never am.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/8/2019 6:48 AM, Gary wrote:

> unless I'm in a hurry to cook something. Which I never am.

Oh, right. You have no problem with cooking beans fer 6 hrs.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 6/8/2019 6:48 AM, Gary wrote:
>
> > unless I'm in a hurry to cook something. Which I never am.

> Oh, right. You have no problem with cooking beans fer 6 hrs.
>
> nb

Those kind, I soak overnight then pour off the water and cook in
much less time. A good bean soup takes hours anyway. no problem
with me. I don't make it often.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 9:26:51 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

> On 6/8/2019 6:48 AM, Gary wrote:
>
> > unless I'm in a hurry to cook something. Which I never am.

> Oh, right. You have no problem with cooking beans fer 6 hrs.
>
> nb

Have you tried any of the canned beans?? Bushes has some excellent white beans.
They also have pintos in the can but I'm not a fan of pinto beans. Their black
eyed peas are good, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 09:46:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 9:26:51 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>>
>> On 6/8/2019 6:48 AM, Gary wrote:
>>
>> > unless I'm in a hurry to cook something. Which I never am.

>> Oh, right. You have no problem with cooking beans fer 6 hrs.
>>
>> nb
>>

>Have you tried any of the canned beans?? Bushes has some excellent white beans.
>They also have pintos in the can but I'm not a fan of pinto beans. Their black
>eyed peas are good, too.

I have recently bought some of bush's chili beans, they are pintos
with a bit of tomato sauce in them, they seem to be pretty good, I
also like bush refried black and pinto

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 12:41:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 09:46:53 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Have you tried any of the canned beans?? Bushes has some excellent white beans.
> >They also have pintos in the can but I'm not a fan of pinto beans. Their black
> >eyed peas are good, too.

> I have recently bought some of bush's chili beans, they are pintos
> with a bit of tomato sauce in them, they seem to be pretty good, I
> also like bush refried black and pinto

Their beans are really rather good and quite a time saver, especially if you
live at elevations such as notbob. I've also read the Goya brand of beans
are rather tasty but my store does not stock their white beans.
>(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Why dry a bean only to can it? It's an extra step. I jes added a can
> of cannelloni beans to my minestrone. They are pressure cooked, but
> like I sed, I suspect they were originally fresh.

You suspect right. All beans were originally fresh.

I would assume that canned beans ARE processed immediately while
fresh. Makes no sense to me to dry them then rehydrate and cook
for canned. Certainly the evil food corporations would never do
that extra step.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Jun 2019 08:00:04 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>notbob wrote:
>>
>> Why dry a bean only to can it? It's an extra step. I jes added a can
>> of cannelloni beans to my minestrone. They are pressure cooked, but
>> like I sed, I suspect they were originally fresh.

>You suspect right. All beans were originally fresh.
>
>I would assume that canned beans ARE processed immediately while
>fresh. Makes no sense to me to dry them then rehydrate and cook
>for canned. Certainly the evil food corporations would never do
>that extra step.

Besides the fact that canned fresh beans wouldn't develop the flavor
and texture (they'd turn to mush) of dried beans fresh beans sell for
a higher price when frozen. Also fresh beans have a short shelf life,
even when frozen. And keeping any foods frozen costs more, and people
simply don't buy all that many frozen beans, tons of beans would be
wasted, dried beans can keep for centuries, and when planted will
still grow just fine... beans are seeds after all. Many beans are
grown for their pods, those are sold fresh or frozen, but also canned
(green beans). Drying beans costs nothing, they are left on the vine
to dry from the sun... the pods shrivel and then harvested.