Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Friday night dinner

We are in Toronto for the weekend and staying at a downtown hotel. There
are lots of food options. Last night I was thinking of Thai food but my
wife isn't crazy about it because of the high sugar content. I suggested
a Spanish place where I had had a nice meal years ago. I went to Google
and they suggested on a couple blocks away that was well rated. We
showed up without a reservation and got a table before I realized that
it was Portuguese.... not a problem.

We split an appetizer of grilled squids that came with a sort of salsa
of red peppers and grilled pineapple. My entree was tiger shrimps in
house made linguini with a tomato and chipotle sauce. My wife's entree
was the winner. She had grilled octopus, one of those things I will eat
but not order. I wish I had ordered that or myself.

Dessert was a pear poached in Madiera and served with raisins, chopped
dried apricot on top of a ricotta mousse. Delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> We are in Toronto for the weekend and staying at a downtown hotel. There
> are lots of food options. Last night I was thinking of Thai food but my
> wife isn't crazy about it because of the high sugar content. I suggested
> a Spanish place where I had had a nice meal years ago. I went to Google
> and they suggested on a couple blocks away that was well rated. We
> showed up without a reservation and got a table before I realized that
> it was Portuguese.... not a problem.
>
> We split an appetizer of grilled squids that came with aÂ* sort of salsa
> of red peppers and grilled pineapple.Â* My entree was tiger shrimps in
> house made linguini with a tomato and chipotle sauce. My wife's entree
> was the winner. She had grilled octopus, one of those things I will eat
> but not order. I wish I had ordered that or myself.
>
> Dessert was a pear poached in Madiera and served withÂ* raisins, chopped
> dried apricot on top of a ricotta mousse.Â* Delicious.

It all sounds good but the pear sounds like the best part. I've made
pears poached in port years ago but this version sounds better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 16:39:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/1/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> We are in Toronto for the weekend and staying at a downtown hotel. There
>> are lots of food options. Last night I was thinking of Thai food but my
>> wife isn't crazy about it because of the high sugar content. I suggested
>> a Spanish place where I had had a nice meal years ago. I went to Google
>> and they suggested on a couple blocks away that was well rated. We
>> showed up without a reservation and got a table before I realized that
>> it was Portuguese.... not a problem.
>>
>> We split an appetizer of grilled squids that came with a* sort of salsa
>> of red peppers and grilled pineapple.* My entree was tiger shrimps in
>> house made linguini with a tomato and chipotle sauce. My wife's entree
>> was the winner. She had grilled octopus, one of those things I will eat
>> but not order. I wish I had ordered that or myself.
>>
>> Dessert was a pear poached in Madiera and served with* raisins, chopped
>> dried apricot on top of a ricotta mousse.* Delicious.
>>

>It all sounds good but the pear sounds like the best part. I've made
>pears poached in port years ago but this version sounds better.

I only wonder what Madiera is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2019 5:17 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 16:39:46 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 6/1/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> We are in Toronto for the weekend and staying at a downtown hotel. There
>>> are lots of food options. Last night I was thinking of Thai food but my
>>> wife isn't crazy about it because of the high sugar content. I suggested
>>> a Spanish place where I had had a nice meal years ago. I went to Google
>>> and they suggested on a couple blocks away that was well rated. We
>>> showed up without a reservation and got a table before I realized that
>>> it was Portuguese.... not a problem.
>>>
>>> We split an appetizer of grilled squids that came with aÂ* sort of salsa
>>> of red peppers and grilled pineapple.Â* My entree was tiger shrimps in
>>> house made linguini with a tomato and chipotle sauce. My wife's entree
>>> was the winner. She had grilled octopus, one of those things I will eat
>>> but not order. I wish I had ordered that or myself.
>>>
>>> Dessert was a pear poached in Madiera and served withÂ* raisins, chopped
>>> dried apricot on top of a ricotta mousse.Â* Delicious.
>>>

>> It all sounds good but the pear sounds like the best part. I've made
>> pears poached in port years ago but this version sounds better.

> I only wonder what Madiera is.

We are down to picking on spelling errors and typos?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 17:57:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/1/2019 5:17 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> It all sounds good but the pear sounds like the best part. I've made
>>> pears poached in port years ago but this version sounds better.

>> I only wonder what Madiera is.
>>

>We are down to picking on spelling errors and typos?

Was it a typo? I never really care about typos.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 3:20:04 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Dessert was a pear poached in Madiera and served with raisins, chopped
> dried apricot on top of a ricotta mousse. Delicious.

That does sound delicious!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/1/2019 4:20 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> We are in Toronto for the weekend and staying at a downtown hotel. There
>> are lots of food options. Last night I was thinking of Thai food but my
>> wife isn't crazy about it because of the high sugar content. I suggested
>> a Spanish place where I had had a nice meal years ago. I went to Google
>> and they suggested on a couple blocks away that was well rated. We showed
>> up without a reservation and got a table before I realized that it was
>> Portuguese.... not a problem.
>>
>> We split an appetizer of grilled squids that came with a sort of salsa of
>> red peppers and grilled pineapple. My entree was tiger shrimps in house
>> made linguini with a tomato and chipotle sauce. My wife's entree was the
>> winner. She had grilled octopus, one of those things I will eat but not
>> order. I wish I had ordered that or myself.
>>
>> Dessert was a pear poached in Madiera and served with raisins, chopped
>> dried apricot on top of a ricotta mousse. Delicious.
>>

> It all sounds good but the pear sounds like the best part. I've made
> pears poached in port years ago but this version sounds better.

I made Julia Child's poached pears some time ago. I think they used wine but
I don't remember what kind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 15:00:05 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 3:20:04 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Dessert was a pear poached in Madiera and served with raisins, chopped
>> dried apricot on top of a ricotta mousse. Delicious.
>>

>That does sound delicious!

Japanese place with a friend and had Seafood Tempura, delicious,
shrimp, scallops, calamari and a wonderful dipping sauce to go with
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-01 5:57 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> It all sounds good but the pear sounds like the best part.Â* I've made
>>> pears poached in port years ago but this version sounds better.

>> I only wonder what Madiera is.
>>

> We are down to picking on spelling errors and typos?

If he is trying to embarrass me over a typo he should have checked it first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 20:39:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-06-01 5:57 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> I only wonder what Madiera is.
>>>

>> We are down to picking on spelling errors and typos?

>If he is trying to embarrass me over a typo he should have checked it first.

I wasn't trying to embarrass you, even though it was a spelling error:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeira_wine>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 5:57:37 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/1/2019 5:17 PM, Bruce wrote:

> >> It all sounds good but the pear sounds like the best part. I've made
> >> pears poached in port years ago but this version sounds better.

> > I only wonder what Madiera is.
> >

> We are down to picking on spelling errors and typos?

He's going to be very busy on Usenet.

I'm a born proofreader but I generally don't mention typos unless
they're funny.

Bruce did manage that rare feat: mentioning a typo without making
one himself.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 03:54:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 5:57:37 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> > I only wonder what Madiera is.
>> >

>> We are down to picking on spelling errors and typos?

>He's going to be very busy on Usenet.
>
>I'm a born proofreader but I generally don't mention typos unless
>they're funny.
>
>Bruce did manage that rare feat: mentioning a typo without making
>one himself.

I kept the sentence really short.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 21:34:24 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 03:54:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

I read that as a case of Mad Diarrhea

>>> We are down to picking on spelling errors and typos?

>>He's going to be very busy on Usenet.
>>
>>I'm a born proofreader but I generally don't mention typos unless
>>they're funny.
>>
>>Bruce did manage that rare feat: mentioning a typo without making
>>one himself.

>I kept the sentence really short.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 12:10:28 -0400, wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Jun 2019 21:34:24 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 03:54:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>I read that as a case of Mad Diarrhea

That's how easy some typos lead to complete misunderstanding: pears
poached in mad diarrhea.