Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jello

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 10:23:19 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Here's another oldie to try...Shake and Bake Chicken. LOL
> "It's Shake and Bake, Daddy and I heyllpped (little girl with a
> deep southern accent)

I've never cared for Shake 'n Bake but did like the Oven Fry brand of these
type coatings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-30 11:03 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/29/2019 5:22 PM, wrote:
>> On Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 4:19:01 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> While I rarely have Jell-O these days,I used to love it with
>>> fruit in it.Â* Red Jell-O with sliced bananas and fruit salad were
>>> favourites. I will confess to having also enjoyed those Jell-O salads
>>> with stuff like grated carrot, shredded cabbage and finely chopped
>>> cucumber.
>>>

>> I remember eating a molded Jell-O salad back in the 70's that had I
>> believe
>> cottage cheese in it.Â* I could be completely wrong but it was
>> fantastic and
>> I've neve been able to find the recipe.Â* That's why I think I could be
>> wrong on the ingredients.
>>

> I don't think you're wrong.Â* I remember seeing Jell-O salads like that
> back then.Â* Maybe it even tasted good. Â* Definitely a hold-over from
> the 1960's.

It was the sort of thing that was pretty much guaranteed to show up at a
large gathering or pot luck.

> The only time I buy cottage cheese is to use when I make lasagna.Â* Same
> thing with yogurt.Â* I'll buy plain yogurt to cook with but I don't buy
> it just to eat.

The first time I made lasagna I went to the Italian grocery store next
to the house we were ling in. I picked up all the ingredients and went
to the checkout. The cashier asked me if my wife was making lasagna and
I told her no, I was making it. Well.... according to her, I had all the
wrong stuff. She took the stuff back and replaced it with better
quality stuff..... better pasta, better tomato sauce, ricotta instead of
cottage cheese and she got the butcher to grate some mozzarella and
Parmesan, and the recipe was on the lasagna noodle box. IIRC it was
DeCecco.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-30 11:23 a.m., Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Harking back to the original topic, doesn't Jell-O sell a no-bake
>> cheesecake kit? Let me look... yep, they do!

> Never heard of that but I can't imagine it would be any good.
> Damn...now *there I go* not thinking out of the box. lol

You could take a clue from some of the rest of us and Google things
instead of publicly pondering if there is such a thing.

> Some day I want to try one of those old boxed pizza kits that
> many of us had in the 60's. From previous discussions, people
> have said that they still sell them. What's the brand? I never
> had a real pizza until I was over 18 and moved away.

Chef Boyardee.... and that is another thing you could have Gookled. Go
ahead and try one, but I can spoil the surprise and tell you now that
they are pretty bad. There was no Italian community in the town I lived,
or any of the nearby towns, and pizzeria's simply did not exist, nor
were there frozen pizzas. Chef Boyardee pizza kits are likely the
reason I was never crazy about pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-30 11:59 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/30/2019 11:38 AM, wrote:
>> On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 10:23:19 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's another oldie to try...Shake and Bake Chicken. LOL
>>> "It's Shake and Bake, Daddy and I heyllpped (little girl with a
>>> deep southern accent)
>>>

>> I've never cared for Shake 'n Bake but did like the Oven Fry brand of
>> these
>> type coatings.
>>

> LOL, joan!Â* The funny thing about Shake 'n Bake is what they were really
> selling the idea of tossing pieces of chicken in seasoned breadcrumbs in
> a plastic bag.Â* It's a very old trick and didn't require buying a
> commercial product.Â* Back in the day, you tossed chicken pieces in
> seasoned flour or breadcrumbs in paper bags.
>
> Shaking really does beat dredging for completely coating pieces of
> chicken.Â* Whether you intend to fry them or bake them, it works to coat
> them well.Â* Then just bake them (or fry, if that's your thing).

I confess that it was not in my repertoire. I tried ShakeNBake, liked it
and figured out that I could make it up myself. I do all kinds of
variations of oven fried chicken, using different combinations of herbs
and spices. I also do one with orange one. Beat the eggs with some
orange juice concentrate and add some grated orange zest to the seasoned
crumbs instead of the herbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 11:09:04 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I confess that it was not in my repertoire. I tried ShakeNBake, liked it
> and figured out that I could make it up myself. I do all kinds of
> variations of oven fried chicken, using different combinations of herbs
> and spices. I also do one with orange one. Beat the eggs with some
> orange juice concentrate and add some grated orange zest to the seasoned
> crumbs instead of the herbs.

I always used Oven Fry for pork chops and once in a great while their chicken
coating for oven fried chicken. However, I never used the egg method.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2019 12:11 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-05-30 11:59 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> I've never cared for Shake 'n Bake but did like the Oven Fry brand of
>>> these
>>> type coatings.
>>>

>> LOL, joan!Â* The funny thing about Shake 'n Bake is what they were
>> really selling the idea of tossing pieces of chicken in seasoned
>> breadcrumbs in a plastic bag.Â* It's a very old trick and didn't
>> require buying a commercial product.Â* Back in the day, you tossed
>> chicken pieces in seasoned flour or breadcrumbs in paper bags.
>>
>> Shaking really does beat dredging for completely coating pieces of
>> chicken.Â* Whether you intend to fry them or bake them, it works to
>> coat them well.Â* Then just bake them (or fry, if that's your thing).

> I confess that it was not in my repertoire. I tried ShakeNBake, liked it
> and figured out that I could make it up myself.

Yep!

> I do all kinds of
> variations of oven fried chicken, using different combinations of herbs
> and spices. I also do one with orange one.Â* Beat the eggs with some
> orange juice concentrate and add some grated orange zest to the seasoned
> crumbs instead of the herbs.

IIRC Shake 'N Bake also made/makes a coating for pork chops. The whole
idea was based on shaking meat in a bag. It's really not difficult for
anyone to figure out that's been a longtime method for coating meat.
Adjust herbs and spices to your liking.

Shake N Bake was supposed to be a time saver. Really? How so? How
long does it take to measure out a cup of dried breadcrumbs and maybe a
bit of flour or cornstarch? Add some dried herbs and garlic and then
toss it in a bag with some pieces of wet chicken. Not very labor intensive.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2019 11:53 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-05-30 11:03 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> The only time I buy cottage cheese is to use when I make lasagna.
>> Same thing with yogurt.Â* I'll buy plain yogurt to cook with but I
>> don't buy it just to eat.

> The firstÂ* time I made lasagna I went to the ItalianÂ* grocery store next
> to the house we were ling in.Â* I picked up all the ingredients and went
> to the checkout. The cashier asked me if my wife was making lasagna and
> I told her no, I was making it. Well.... according to her, I had all the
> wrong stuff.Â* She took the stuff back and replaced it with better
> quality stuff..... better pasta, better tomato sauce, ricotta instead of
> cottage cheese and she got the butcher to grate some mozzarella and
> Parmesan, and the recipe was on the lasagna noodle box. IIRC it was
> DeCecco.

Hey, guess what? I don't let the person at the checkout stand tell me
what I need to buy to make lasagna that tastes good. I've made lasagna
using really good quality riccota cheese. I still prefer cottage
cheese. Riccota is too dry and requires the addition of a lot more
moisture. Don't care for it, even if it is the so called Italian version.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2019 08:53:33 -0400, Gary wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:

>> It's been 40 years for me too. And it won't happen ever again. I
>> can't eat jello or bananas. My throat doesn't like swallowing
>> things with that texture - Get the gag reflex feeling. I like
>> durian and puddings, but can't swallow those either. Custards and

> Bet you could add some crunch to all of the above you mentioned
> and maybe not have a problem.

And I'd bet maybe you'd be wrong.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2019 08:53:33 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 29 May 2019 11:23:42 -0400, Gary wrote:
>>
>> > OK...so I went to the grocery store this morning and top of my
>> > list was orange jello, bananas, and vanilla ice cream. Got it!
>> >
>> > Ended up buying peach jello. I had forgotten about that.

>> Isn't peach jello orange?

>;-D About the same color but different taste.
>

>> > I came home and cooked it

>> I haven't made jello in so long I didn't even know you were supposed
>> to cook it.

>Take that with a grain of salt. I had to boil a cup of water but
>anytime I turn on the stove to make something, I call it cooking.
>I DID have to cook the water. No doubt, someone here in RFC will
>get picky and say that's not cooking.

Actually foolish, don't you own a measurimg cup and microwave?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-30 1:52 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/30/2019 11:53 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-05-30 11:03 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>> The only time I buy cottage cheese is to use when I make lasagna.
>>> Same thing with yogurt.Â* I'll buy plain yogurt to cook with but I
>>> don't buy it just to eat.

>> The firstÂ* time I made lasagna I went to the ItalianÂ* grocery store
>> next to the house we were ling in.Â* I picked up all the ingredients
>> and went to the checkout. The cashier asked me if my wife was making
>> lasagna and I told her no, I was making it. Well.... according to her,
>> I had all the wrong stuff.Â* She took the stuff back and replaced it
>> with better quality stuff..... better pasta, better tomato sauce,
>> ricotta instead of cottage cheese and she got the butcher to grate
>> some mozzarella and Parmesan, and the recipe was on the lasagna noodle
>> box. IIRC it was DeCecco.
>>

> Hey, guess what?Â* I don't let the person at the checkout stand tell me
> what I need to buy to make lasagna that tastes good.Â* I've made lasagna
> using really good quality riccota cheese.Â* I still prefer cottage
> cheese.Â* Riccota is too dry and requires the addition of a lot more
> moisture.Â* Don't care for it, even if it is the so called Italian version.

Well goodness no. There really is no reason to make an Italian version
of lasagna. FWIW, I like it better with ricotta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2019 11:53:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-05-30 11:03 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> I remember eating a molded Jell-O salad back in the 70's that had I
>>> believe
>>> cottage cheese in it.* I could be completely wrong but it was
>>> fantastic and
>>> I've neve been able to find the recipe.* That's why I think I could be
>>> wrong on the ingredients.
>>>

>> I don't think you're wrong.* I remember seeing Jell-O salads like that
>> back then.* Maybe it even tasted good. * Definitely a hold-over from
>> the 1960's.
>>

>It was the sort of thing that was pretty much guaranteed to show up at a
>large gathering or pot luck.
>
>> The only time I buy cottage cheese is to use when I make lasagna.* Same
>> thing with yogurt.* I'll buy plain yogurt to cook with but I don't buy
>> it just to eat.

>The first time I made lasagna I went to the Italian grocery store next
>to the house we were ling in. I picked up all the ingredients and went
>to the checkout. The cashier asked me if my wife was making lasagna and
>I told her no, I was making it. Well.... according to her, I had all the
>wrong stuff. She took the stuff back and replaced it with better
>quality stuff..... better pasta, better tomato sauce, ricotta instead of
>cottage cheese and she got the butcher to grate some mozzarella and
>Parmesan, and the recipe was on the lasagna noodle box. IIRC it was
>DeCecco.

that's a wonderful story! And, you got wonderful tips.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 May 2019 11:23:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Harking back to the original topic, doesn't Jell-O sell a no-bake
>> cheesecake kit? Let me look... yep, they do!

>Never heard of that but I can't imagine it would be any good.
>Damn...now *there I go* not thinking out of the box. lol
>
>Some day I want to try one of those old boxed pizza kits that
>many of us had in the 60's. From previous discussions, people
>have said that they still sell them. What's the brand? I never
>had a real pizza until I was over 18 and moved away.
>
>Here's another oldie to try...Shake and Bake Chicken. LOL
>"It's Shake and Bake, Daddy and I heyllpped (little girl with a
>deep southern accent)
>
>I also never had real seafood other than Mr's Pauls fish sticks
>or Howard Johnsons tiny fried clam pieces and never a good steak
>other than an overcooked thin one like dried shoe leather and
>tons of A-1 poured on top.
>
>After that childhood, it's no wonder that I love almost any meal
>and not picky at all. heheh

It's the childhood we all had. The food industry was just beginning to
stretch and tell us what we needed. Things aren't any different
today. What do you think our children will be dissing when they are
in their 50s and 60s.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 5:50:43 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> The first time I made lasagna I went to the Italian grocery store next
> to the house we were ling in. I picked up all the ingredients and went
> to the checkout. The cashier asked me if my wife was making lasagna and
> I told her no, I was making it. Well.... according to her, I had all the
> wrong stuff. She took the stuff back and replaced it with better
> quality stuff..... better pasta, better tomato sauce, ricotta instead of
> cottage cheese and she got the butcher to grate some mozzarella and
> Parmesan, and the recipe was on the lasagna noodle box. IIRC it was
> DeCecco.

I remember the first time I made lasagna. It was back in the 70's. Most of them have been nothing to write home about. These days I don't make that kind of stuff but perhaps I should. These days I'd substitute egg plant and squash for the pasta. I'll have to put that down on my agenda.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2019 2:59 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2019 11:23:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Harking back to the original topic, doesn't Jell-O sell a no-bake
>>> cheesecake kit? Let me look... yep, they do!

>> Never heard of that but I can't imagine it would be any good.
>> Damn...now *there I go* not thinking out of the box. lol
>>
>> Some day I want to try one of those old boxed pizza kits that
>> many of us had in the 60's. From previous discussions, people
>> have said that they still sell them. What's the brand? I never
>> had a real pizza until I was over 18 and moved away.
>>
>> Here's another oldie to try...Shake and Bake Chicken. LOL
>> "It's Shake and Bake, Daddy and I heyllpped (little girl with a
>> deep southern accent)
>>
>> I also never had real seafood other than Mr's Pauls fish sticks
>> or Howard Johnsons tiny fried clam pieces and never a good steak
>> other than an overcooked thin one like dried shoe leather and
>> tons of A-1 poured on top.
>>
>> After that childhood, it's no wonder that I love almost any meal
>> and not picky at all. heheh

> It's the childhood we all had. The food industry was just beginning to
> stretch and tell us what we needed. Things aren't any different
> today. What do you think our children will be dissing when they are
> in their 50s and 60s.
> Janet US

Large bags of frozen cauliflower rice? Maybe kale. <giggling>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Chef Boyardee.... and that is another thing you could have Gookled. Go
> ahead and try one, but I can spoil the surprise and tell you now that
> they are pretty bad. There was no Italian community in the town I lived,
> or any of the nearby towns, and pizzeria's simply did not exist, nor
> were there frozen pizzas. Chef Boyardee pizza kits are likely the
> reason I was never crazy about pizza.

Yet they are the first thing I ever cooked. There were pizza parlors in
Reno, but it was "make your own with Boyardee" in the cow towns. I'd
eat one now, just because. I loved them until I had a real one.

leo

Jello or gelatine James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 34 15-06-2010 01:33 PM
Jello KenK General Cooking 12 28-03-2010 03:50 AM
Jam, jelly and jello ChattyCathy General Cooking 67 13-06-2008 04:06 PM
JELLO SHOTS ! Chef Tom General Cooking 17 26-10-2006 07:13 PM
jello mold Shirley Baking 0 25-11-2003 12:16 AM