Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What did my neighbor plant...

What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
pretty dead. Reddit was useless.

Since it may be edible,, here goes:

What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
tiny-thin little branch towards the top.

They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
popping out of the skewers at random intervals.

I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
:-)

ObFood: Gonna smoke a 3lb tri-tip and a 2.5lb pichana for memorial
day. And maybe a chicken.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 4:24:17 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
> pretty dead. Reddit was useless.
>
> Since it may be edible,, here goes:
>
> What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
> darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
> thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
> tiny-thin little branch towards the top.
>
> They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
> the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
> popping out of the skewers at random intervals.
>
> I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
> but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
> she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
> :-)
>
> ObFood: Gonna smoke a 3lb tri-tip and a 2.5lb pichana for memorial
> day. And maybe a chicken.
>
> -sw

Can you not post a picture so we can see what they stuck in the ground?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 16:26:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
>pretty dead. Reddit was useless.
>
>Since it may be edible,, here goes:
>
>What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
>darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
>thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
>tiny-thin little branch towards the top.
>
>They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
>the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
>popping out of the skewers at random intervals.
>
>I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
>but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
>she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
>:-)
>
>ObFood: Gonna smoke a 3lb tri-tip and a 2.5lb pichana for memorial
>day. And maybe a chicken.
>
>-sw

Dude try quora.com... There are numerous gardening groups. Just ask
any questions and they might be answered. Kinda like here except there
really is not much spam and no BS responses like on here. Well maybe a
few but they are usually just out of humor.
It is also much friendlier there than it is here. You dont need a
separate program a web browser works fine. There is also an app for
you phone or tablet.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
>pretty dead. Reddit was useless.
>
>Since it may be edible,, here goes:
>
>What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
>darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
>thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
>tiny-thin little branch towards the top.
>
>They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
>the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
>popping out of the skewers at random intervals.
>
>I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
>but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
>she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
>:-)
>
>ObFood: Gonna smoke a 3lb tri-tip and a 2.5lb pichana for memorial
>day. And maybe a chicken.
>
>-sw

Maybe sugar cane?

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
>pretty dead. Reddit was useless.
>
>Since it may be edible,, here goes:
>
>What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
>darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
>thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
>tiny-thin little branch towards the top.
>
>They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
>the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
>popping out of the skewers at random intervals.
>
>I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
>but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
>she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
>:-)
>
>ObFood: Gonna smoke a 3lb tri-tip and a 2.5lb pichana for memorial
>day. And maybe a chicken.
>
>-sw

sounds like bamboo. It can get huge high and huge wide. Take a look
at some pictures of very young plants on the 'Net.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 17:21:31 -0500,
wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 2019 16:26:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
>>pretty dead. Reddit was useless.
>>
>>Since it may be edible,, here goes:
>>
>>What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
>>darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
>>thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
>>tiny-thin little branch towards the top.
>>
>>They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
>>the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
>>popping out of the skewers at random intervals.
>>
>>I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
>>but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
>>she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
>>:-)
>>
>>ObFood: Gonna smoke a 3lb tri-tip and a 2.5lb pichana for memorial
>>day. And maybe a chicken.
>>
>>-sw

> Dude try quora.com... There are numerous gardening groups. Just ask
> any questions and they might be answered. Kinda like here except there
> really is not much spam and no BS responses like on here. Well maybe a
> few but they are usually just out of humor.
> It is also much friendlier there than it is here. You dont need a
> separate program a web browser works fine. There is also an app for
> you phone or tablet.
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

**** off.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 5:23:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Maybe sugar cane?

Sugar Cane is delicious! When I went whitewater kayaking in Costa Rica in 1997 we "took out" near a sugar cane field on one run and I broke a piece off a sugar cane plant and used a friend's river knife to peel it back and I was chewing it! SWEET!

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Worldwide Adventure Sporter

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 14:31:04 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

> On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 4:24:17 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
>> pretty dead. Reddit was useless.
>>
>> Since it may be edible,, here goes:
>>
>> What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
>> darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
>> thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
>> tiny-thin little branch towards the top.
>>
>> They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
>> the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
>> popping out of the skewers at random intervals.
>>
>> I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
>> but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
>> she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
>> :-)
>>
>> ObFood: Gonna smoke a 3lb tri-tip and a 2.5lb pichana for memorial
>> day. And maybe a chicken.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Can you not post a picture so we can see what they stuck in the ground?

I can't for now. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Her living
room looks right over this and I don't want her to see me taking a
picture of it. It's exactly as I described, though.

It turn out is may be privit or buxus cutting of some sort. Lokking
at them on the web, that would make sense.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 16:32:07 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 2019 16:26:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
>>pretty dead. Reddit was useless.
>>
>>Since it may be edible,, here goes:
>>
>>What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
>>darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
>>thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
>>tiny-thin little branch towards the top.
>>
>>They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
>>the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
>>popping out of the skewers at random intervals.
>>
>>I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
>>but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
>>she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
>>:-)
>>
>>ObFood: Gonna smoke a 3lb tri-tip and a 2.5lb pichana for memorial
>>day. And maybe a chicken.
>>
>>-sw

> sounds like bamboo. It can get huge high and huge wide. Take a look
> at some pictures of very young plants on the 'Net.
> Janet US

I don't thin it would be legal to plant there here in the front of
the house, and especially at a property line, or to be used as a
faence. I don't think she's THAT insane. Front yard fences are
regulated here - pretty much only on corner properties.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
> pretty dead. Reddit was useless.

rec.gardens.edibles gets more posts, but it still
isn't a huge amount of traffic.

> Since it may be edible,, here goes:
>
> What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
> darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
> thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
> tiny-thin little branch towards the top.

my guess is a hedge (based along the property line).

> They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
> the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
> popping out of the skewers at random intervals.
>
> I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
> but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
> she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
>:-)

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 May 2019 22:17:00 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 24 May 2019 16:32:07 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 May 2019 16:26:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
>>>pretty dead. Reddit was useless.
>>>
>>>Since it may be edible,, here goes:
>>>
>>>What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
>>>darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
>>>thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
>>>tiny-thin little branch towards the top.
>>>
>>>They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
>>>the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
>>>popping out of the skewers at random intervals.
>>>
>>>I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
>>>but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
>>>she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
>>>:-)
>>>
>>>ObFood: Gonna smoke a 3lb tri-tip and a 2.5lb pichana for memorial
>>>day. And maybe a chicken.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> sounds like bamboo. It can get huge high and huge wide. Take a look
>> at some pictures of very young plants on the 'Net.
>> Janet US

>I don't thin it would be legal to plant there here in the front of
>the house, and especially at a property line, or to be used as a
>faence. I don't think she's THAT insane. Front yard fences are
>regulated here - pretty much only on corner properties.
>
>-sw

A neighbor downstream from me has planted bamboo, the neighbor of
someone I know planted bamboo some time ago on the side of their house
and certain forms of bamboo are being used for planting beds around
businesses here. Apparently it is readily available around here for
those who have no idea what they are getting.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2019 11:17 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2019 16:32:07 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 May 2019 16:26:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What are the usenet gardening groups? rec.gardens looks to be
>>> pretty dead. Reddit was useless.
>>>
>>> Since it may be edible,, here goes:
>>>
>>> What did my neighbor plant? They look like 12" bamboo skewers, just
>>> darker. Thety are twigs of some sort, but very thin and of uniform
>>> thickness. They are almost completely straight except one has a
>>> tiny-thin little branch towards the top.
>>>
>>> They were planted in 4" deep holes, 2 of them 6-7 feet apart near
>>> the property line. 2 weeks later there are tiny little green leaves
>>> popping out of the skewers at random intervals.
>>>
>>> I'd ask the nicer half of the couple that lives there what they are,
>>> but I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have a clue. And I don't talk to her -
>>> she's insane. And the reason I'm wondering what to expect of these
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> ObFood: Gonna smoke a 3lb tri-tip and a 2.5lb pichana for memorial
>>> day. And maybe a chicken.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> sounds like bamboo. It can get huge high and huge wide. Take a look
>> at some pictures of very young plants on the 'Net.
>> Janet US

> I don't thin it would be legal to plant there here in the front of
> the house, and especially at a property line, or to be used as a
> faence. I don't think she's THAT insane. Front yard fences are
> regulated here - pretty much only on corner properties.
>
> -sw

Maybe your neighbors don't know or care about the regulations. Gee,
kinda sounds like Dataw. Regulations about what kind of fence or plants
might or might not be allowed. Gotta get permission. I only mention it
because some folks don't seem to realize there are code enforcement laws
in most neighborhoods. Whether or not people comply is another matter
entirely. Maybe they did plant bamboo and don't care.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 16:26:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 25 May 2019 11:58:28 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 5/24/2019 11:17 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> I don't thin it would be legal to plant there here in the front of
>>> the house, and especially at a property line, or to be used as a
>>> faence. I don't think she's THAT insane. Front yard fences are
>>> regulated here - pretty much only on corner properties.
>>>

>> Maybe your neighbors don't know or care about the regulations. Gee,
>> kinda sounds like Dataw. Regulations about what kind of fence or plants
>> might or might not be allowed. Gotta get permission. I only mention it
>> because some folks don't seem to realize there are code enforcement laws
>> in most neighborhoods. Whether or not people comply is another matter
>> entirely. Maybe they did plant bamboo and don't care.

>Yeah, nice to meet YOU, too, you ****ing bitch.

Hey, that's McBiddy you're talking to.