Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Breakfast.... leftover steak

Yeah, I know.... who ever has leftover steak?
Well,I did. It was a delicious and perfectly cooked medium rare NY Strip
steak, but it was about twice as much as I could handle. I split the
rest of it with my wife for breakfast this morning. I beat up some eggs
with a little water,salt and pepper and a good splash of Trinidadian hot
sauce. I cut the steak into thin slices, melted some butter in a hot
pan, warmed up the slices in the butter and then added the eggs and
stirred them around, taking them off while they were still nice and
shiny. It turned out to be an excellent idea. They were delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 10:18:26 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> for breakfast this morning. I beat up some eggs
> with a little water, salt and pepper and a good splash of Trinidadian hot
> sauce.

Next time try a splash of milk or cream. Water has no flavor, just adds
volume.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Itsjoan, leading experts recommend adding a T. of water for each egg when making scrambled
or an omelet because it makes a fluffier, lighter result than adding milk. I guess it all
depends on what result is wanted.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 1:12:00 PM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> Itsjoan, leading experts recommend adding a T. of water for each egg when making scrambled
> or an omelet because it makes a fluffier, lighter result than adding milk. I guess it all
> depends on what result is wanted.
>
> N.

I used to add milk or cream when making scrambled eggs - like the cookbooks said. After a while, I said "screw this" and now I just add water. It works fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 May 2019 16:11:56 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

> Itsjoan, leading experts recommend adding a T. of water for each egg when making scrambled
> or an omelet because it makes a fluffier, lighter result than adding milk. I guess it all
> depends on what result is wanted.

A tablespoon per egg seems pretty excessive. An egg is only about 3
tablespoons to begin with.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 8:20:35 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> A tablespoon per egg seems pretty excessive. An egg is only about 3
> tablespoons to begin with.
>
> -sw

I never mentioned a tablespoon of milk per egg.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-21 7:11 p.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> Itsjoan, leading experts recommend adding a T. of water for each egg when making scrambled
> or an omelet because it makes a fluffier, lighter result than adding milk. I guess it all
> depends on what result is wanted.

I always used to make them with milk because that was he way I had
learned. I later learned to use water, and I prefer the way they turn out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > I was replying to Nancy2 quoting "leading experts". I never add
> > anything. I want dense eggs. If I want fluffy I'll eat a baby
> > bunny rabbit.

LOL!

> Leading experts probably like fluffy eggs. I don't like 'em either.
> When I make scrambled eggs I only beat them enough to combine the
> whites and yolks, trying to incorporate as little air as possible.
> No milk, no water, but I add a little salt.

Same here. I don't add water or milk to scrambled eggs. Might
give the water a try to see how fluffy eggs taste though.

When I make fried eggs (over easy), I cook 2-3.
When I make scrambled eggs, I cook 4.

The first 3 I eat plain with toast.
The last egg (1/4 of the dish) I mix with ketchup.
It's the dessert part of my scrambled egg meal.

It's all good here. Each to their own, eh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2019 11:20 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Yeah, I know.... who ever has leftover steak?

I do.

> Well,I did. It was a delicious and perfectly cooked medium rare NY Strip
> steak, but it was about twice as much as I could handle.Â* I split the
> rest of it with my wife for breakfast this morning.
> I beat up some eggs
> with a little water,salt and pepper and a good splash of Trinidadian hot
> sauce. I cut the steak into thin slices, melted some butter in a hot
> pan, warmed up the slices in the butter and then added the eggs and
> stirred them around, taking them off while they were still nice and
> shiny. It turned out to be an excellent idea. They were delicious.

I've had leftover steak (ribeye or strip) for breakfast which was also
perfectly cooked medium rare the night before. Heat it up in a small
cast iron skillet on low heat until heated through. I've never added
steak *to* scrambled eggs and am not really interested. Bacon is a
whole different story.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-22 11:51 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/21/2019 11:20 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Yeah, I know.... who ever has leftover steak?

> I do.
>
>> Well,I did. It was a delicious and perfectly cooked medium rare NY
>> Strip steak, but it was about twice as much as I could handle.Â* I
>> split the rest of it with my wife for breakfast this morning.
>> I beat up some eggs with a little water,salt and pepper and a good
>> splash of Trinidadian hot sauce. I cut the steak into thin slices,
>> melted some butter in a hot pan, warmed up the slices in the butter
>> and then added the eggs and stirred them around, taking them off while
>> they were still nice and shiny. It turned out to be an excellent idea.
>> They were delicious.

> I've had leftover steak (ribeye or strip) for breakfast which was also
> perfectly cooked medium rare the night before.Â* Heat it up in a small
> cast iron skillet on low heat until heated through.Â* I've never added
> steak *to* scrambled eggs and am not really interested.Â* Bacon is a
> whole different story.

I figured I had nothing to lose by trying it, and it turned out to be
good. I had had steak and egg breakfasts in a number of restaurants and
had suggested it to my wife. She rejected the idea and said steak and
eggs are not a good combination. Last summer we had breakfast in a local
restaurant. I ordered the eggs Florentine and convinced her to try steak
and eggs. She was impressed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/22/2019 12:35 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-05-22 11:51 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/21/2019 11:20 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> Yeah, I know.... who ever has leftover steak?

>> I do.
>>
>>> Well,I did. It was a delicious and perfectly cooked medium rare NY
>>> Strip steak, but it was about twice as much as I could handle.Â* I
>>> split the rest of it with my wife for breakfast this morning.
>>> I beat up some eggs with a little water,salt and pepper and a good
>>> splash of Trinidadian hot sauce. I cut the steak into thin slices,
>>> melted some butter in a hot pan, warmed up the slices in the butter
>>> and then added the eggs and stirred them around, taking them off
>>> while they were still nice and shiny. It turned out to be an
>>> excellent idea. They were delicious.

>> I've had leftover steak (ribeye or strip) for breakfast which was also
>> perfectly cooked medium rare the night before.Â* Heat it up in a small
>> cast iron skillet on low heat until heated through.Â* I've never added
>> steak *to* scrambled eggs and am not really interested.Â* Bacon is a
>> whole different story.
>>

> I figured I had nothing to lose by trying it, and it turned out to be
> good.Â* I had had steak and egg breakfasts in a number of restaurants and
> had suggested it to my wife. She rejected the idea and said steak and
> eggs are not a good combination. Last summer we had breakfast in a local
> restaurant. I ordered the eggs Florentine and convinced her to try steak
> and eggs. She was impressed.

As long as you both liked it, it works. I'd just prefer to have the
steak on the side.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-22 12:46 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>> I figured I had nothing to lose by trying it, and it turned out to be
>> good.Â* I had had steak and egg breakfasts in a number of restaurants
>> and had suggested it to my wife. She rejected the idea and said steak
>> and eggs are not a good combination. Last summer we had breakfast in a
>> local restaurant. I ordered the eggs Florentine and convinced her to
>> try steak and eggs. She was impressed.
>>

> As long as you both liked it, it works.Â* I'd just prefer to have the
> steak on the side.

That was what happened. It was yesterday that I had the left over steak
in scrambled eggs. It was in a restaurant last summer that she had an
order of steak and eggs. She had fried eggs, home fries and a small NY
strip steak. I have to say that it was a pretty good deal. It was just a
couple bucks more than my eggs Florentine, and it was a 7-8 oz steak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 May 2019 09:07:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>> > I was replying to Nancy2 quoting "leading experts". I never add
>> > anything. I want dense eggs. If I want fluffy I'll eat a baby
>> > bunny rabbit.

>LOL!
>

>> Leading experts probably like fluffy eggs. I don't like 'em either.
>> When I make scrambled eggs I only beat them enough to combine the
>> whites and yolks, trying to incorporate as little air as possible.
>> No milk, no water, but I add a little salt.

>Same here. I don't add water or milk to scrambled eggs. Might
>give the water a try to see how fluffy eggs taste though.
>
>When I make fried eggs (over easy), I cook 2-3.
>When I make scrambled eggs, I cook 4.
>
>The first 3 I eat plain with toast.
>The last egg (1/4 of the dish) I mix with ketchup.
>It's the dessert part of my scrambled egg meal.
>
>It's all good here. Each to their own, eh?

Not "each to their own", but "to each their own."

Leftover steak Gary General Cooking 8 09-08-2016 07:51 AM
Leftover steak Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 96 04-11-2013 11:10 PM
Leftover Steak Dimitri General Cooking 54 23-01-2009 05:12 PM
Tonight's leftover steak koko General Cooking 15 22-01-2009 06:55 AM
Steak Leftover. Richard Periut General Cooking 25 30-10-2003 07:53 AM