Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Supper tonight..... Spring bounty

Grilled New York strip steaks, fresh local asparagus and a salad with
blue cheese dressing. Dessert was rhubarb pie. The rhubarb was from my
garden. I was thought It turned out that I was a a little short on
Crisco so I topped it up with butter. It turned out to be one of the
best pie crusts I ever made.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 8:42:00 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Grilled New York strip steaks, fresh local asparagus and a salad with
> blue cheese dressing. Dessert was rhubarb pie. The rhubarb was from my
> garden. I was thought It turned out that I was a a little short on
> Crisco so I topped it up with butter. It turned out to be one of the
> best pie crusts I ever made.

Your dinner sounds really, really good. And a lot of folks use a combination
of Crisco and butter. The diehards use all lard but many swear by a lard
and butter crust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Grilled New York strip steaks, fresh local asparagus and a salad with blue
> cheese dressing. Dessert was rhubarb pie. The rhubarb was from my
> garden. I was thought It turned out that I was a a little short on Crisco
> so I topped it up with butter. It turned out to be one of the best pie
> crusts I ever made.

Gluten free (quinoa) pasta salad here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Grilled New York strip steaks, fresh local asparagus and a salad with
> blue cheese dressing. Dessert was rhubarb pie. The rhubarb was from my
> garden. I was thought It turned out that I was a a little short on
> Crisco so I topped it up with butter. It turned out to be one of the
> best pie crusts I ever made.

I did homemade corned beef hash with a egg on top for dinner. She said
she liked it, and that's good enough for me.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 9:14:27 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I did homemade corned beef hash with a egg on top for dinner. She said
> she liked it, and that's good enough for me.
>
> leo

No pie crust for us to comment on?? Tsk, tsk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"> wrote:

> No pie crust for us to comment on?? Tsk, tsk.

When I make my first homemade pie crust, I'll brag it all over this
group. I never made a homemade American biscuit either. I have made a
lot of English biscuits by their definition. Homemade Toll House.
Y'all knew I was a fraud, but I hate exposing myself like this I do
make cornbread, so that's something. I've made good sopapilla too.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message

I did homemade corned beef hash with a egg on top for dinner. She said
she liked it, and that's good enough for me.

leo

==

Share you recipe please Leo? It's not something I have made much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ophelia
> wrote:

> Share you recipe please Leo? It's not something I have made much.

Sure. I took a couple of medium white potatoes, peeled them, boiled
them until nearly done, cut them into three eights inch cubes and fried
them at medium in a little oil. While they were browning, I cut up a
couple of three eights inch thick slices of already cooked corned beef
and diced that into three eights inch cubes and added it to the
potatoes. I fried a egg over easy. Then I dumped the hash onto a plate
and laid the egg on top.
It's not really a recipe. Everybody does it different. Many add onions.
Many dice smaller. Many add other stuff. We all make a hash of it

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message

In article >, Ophelia
> wrote:

> Share you recipe please Leo? It's not something I have made much.

Sure. I took a couple of medium white potatoes, peeled them, boiled
them until nearly done, cut them into three eights inch cubes and fried
them at medium in a little oil. While they were browning, I cut up a
couple of three eights inch thick slices of already cooked corned beef
and diced that into three eights inch cubes and added it to the
potatoes. I fried a egg over easy. Then I dumped the hash onto a plate
and laid the egg on top.
It's not really a recipe. Everybody does it different. Many add onions.
Many dice smaller. Many add other stuff. We all make a hash of it

leo

====

<g> How would it go with canned corned beef? I have made my own in
the past, but I'm not able go make it right now. I've saved it anyway, and
will try it out one way or another when I get the time, so thank you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 May 2019 22:14:06 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-05-20 9:50 p.m., wrote:
>> On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 8:42:00 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Grilled New York strip steaks, fresh local asparagus and a salad with
>>> blue cheese dressing. Dessert was rhubarb pie. The rhubarb was from my
>>> garden. I was thought It turned out that I was a a little short on
>>> Crisco so I topped it up with butter. It turned out to be one of the
>>> best pie crusts I ever made.
>>>

>> Your dinner sounds really, really good. And a lot of folks use a combination
>> of Crisco and butter. The diehards use all lard but many swear by a lard
>> and butter crust.
>>

>My mother always used lard. She always complimented me on my pie crust
>and wanted to know how I made it. I kept telling her it was the same as
>hers, except that I used Crisco instead of lard. I think from now on it
>will be 3/4 Crisco and 1/4 butter.

I don't see the point in diluting butter with Crisco when there's
butter flavored Crisco - also more healthful for those with heart
disease issues - not that pie crust is healthful for anyone... any
time I'm served pie I'll eat the fruit filling if it's good but I
always shitcan the pie crust. I don't consider pie crust a food for
humans, maybe okay to slop the hogs. However I much prefer a tasty
compote to pie filling. When berries are in season I prefer mine
mascerated with a little dark brown sugar... I reallydon't like fruit
pies, pie crust is disgutingly gross amd fruit pie fillings are like
starchy fruit sludge. Don't folks ever eat fresh fruit au jus
anymore?
https://www.crisco.com/products/vege...ble-shortening
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 7:52:37 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I don't see the point in diluting butter with Crisco when there's
> butter flavored Crisco

You answered your own question. Butter vs. butter f.l.a.v.o.r.i.n.g.