Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Tortilla Soup for Dinner tonight

Another rainy, gray day. I had to move my starter garden plants in
their trays to a place under the overhang of the roof. They were
standing in an inch of water.
Something warm from a pot on the stove seemed like a good idea. The
following recipe is a road map. If I have homemade chicken stock I
use that, if I have home grown tomatoes I use them -- you get the
idea. The only constants are the amount of liquid, beans and bell
peppers. The rest is cook's choice.

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
Janet 6/13

2 Tbsp corn oil
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced green pepper
1 cup diced red pepper
Several Anaheim-type peppers, diced
1 Jalapeno pepper diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 box chicken stock
Drippings from cooked chicken
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 to 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
Some salt to taste
1 ½ cup cooked chicken

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> Another rainy, gray day. I had to move my starter garden plants in
> their trays to a place under the overhang of the roof. They were
> standing in an inch of water.
> Something warm from a pot on the stove seemed like a good idea. The
> following recipe is a road map. If I have homemade chicken stock I
> use that, if I have home grown tomatoes I use them -- you get the
> idea. The only constants are the amount of liquid, beans and bell
> peppers. The rest is cook's choice.
>
> CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
> Janet 6/13
>
> 2 Tbsp corn oil
> 1 cup diced onion
> 1 cup diced green pepper
> 1 cup diced red pepper
> Several Anaheim-type peppers, diced
> 1 Jalapeno pepper diced
> 3 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 box chicken stock
> Drippings from cooked chicken
> 1 can diced tomatoes
> 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
> 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
> Some salt to taste
> 1 ½ cup cooked chicken
>
> Janet US

Where are the tortillas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 May 2019 19:00:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .

>> Another rainy, gray day. I had to move my starter garden plants in
>> their trays to a place under the overhang of the roof. They were
>> standing in an inch of water.
>> Something warm from a pot on the stove seemed like a good idea. The
>> following recipe is a road map. If I have homemade chicken stock I
>> use that, if I have home grown tomatoes I use them -- you get the
>> idea. The only constants are the amount of liquid, beans and bell
>> peppers. The rest is cook's choice.
>>
>> CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
>> Janet 6/13
>>
>> 2 Tbsp corn oil
>> 1 cup diced onion
>> 1 cup diced green pepper
>> 1 cup diced red pepper
>> Several Anaheim-type peppers, diced
>> 1 Jalapeno pepper diced
>> 3 cloves garlic, minced
>> 1 box chicken stock
>> Drippings from cooked chicken
>> 1 can diced tomatoes
>> 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
>> 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
>> Some salt to taste
>> 1 ½ cup cooked chicken
>>
>> Janet US

>Where are the tortillas.

I forgot them. Cut corn tortillas in strips, place on cookie sheet
and bake until crispy. Sprinkle the strips on the soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 May 2019 19:00:06 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Another rainy, gray day. I had to move my starter garden plants in
>>> their trays to a place under the overhang of the roof. They were
>>> standing in an inch of water.
>>> Something warm from a pot on the stove seemed like a good idea. The
>>> following recipe is a road map. If I have homemade chicken stock I
>>> use that, if I have home grown tomatoes I use them -- you get the
>>> idea. The only constants are the amount of liquid, beans and bell
>>> peppers. The rest is cook's choice.
>>>
>>> CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
>>> Janet 6/13
>>>
>>> 2 Tbsp corn oil
>>> 1 cup diced onion
>>> 1 cup diced green pepper
>>> 1 cup diced red pepper
>>> Several Anaheim-type peppers, diced
>>> 1 Jalapeno pepper diced
>>> 3 cloves garlic, minced
>>> 1 box chicken stock
>>> Drippings from cooked chicken
>>> 1 can diced tomatoes
>>> 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
>>> 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
>>> Some salt to taste
>>> 1 ½ cup cooked chicken
>>>
>>> Janet US

>>Where are the tortillas.

> I forgot them. Cut corn tortillas in strips, place on cookie sheet
> and bake until crispy. Sprinkle the strips on the soup.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 4:00:20 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> >
> > Another rainy, gray day. I had to move my starter garden plants in
> > their trays to a place under the overhang of the roof. They were
> > standing in an inch of water.
> > Something warm from a pot on the stove seemed like a good idea. The
> > following recipe is a road map. If I have homemade chicken stock I
> > use that, if I have home grown tomatoes I use them -- you get the
> > idea. The only constants are the amount of liquid, beans and bell
> > peppers. The rest is cook's choice.
> >
> > CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
> > Janet 6/13
> >
> > 2 Tbsp corn oil
> > 1 cup diced onion
> > 1 cup diced green pepper
> > 1 cup diced red pepper
> > Several Anaheim-type peppers, diced
> > 1 Jalapeno pepper diced
> > 3 cloves garlic, minced
> > 1 box chicken stock
> > Drippings from cooked chicken
> > 1 can diced tomatoes
> > 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
> > 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
> > Some salt to taste
> > 1 ½ cup cooked chicken
> >
> > Janet US

> Where are the tortillas.

I like to add tortillas or tortilla chips to the soup and simmer a bit to soften the up. It's actual tortilla soup.

For chili con carne, I'll add crushed tortilla chips to the pot and simmer to thicken it up. My chili has the taste of toasted corn. It tastes great and a chili with a toasted corn taste is entirely appropriate as far as the region of origin goes.