Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old pectin and strawberry adventures

Â* Our first batch of jam didn't thicken as much as we wanted . Turns
out it is left over from 2016 ... the batch made today with new pectin
turned out much thicker . Everything else identical , new pectin the
only difference . Turns out the berries picked a couple of days ago was
enough for a batch , so she cut up some for shortcake . That's a total
of 17 half pints so far this year , and the plants are still loaded .
The rest of today's picking will be cut up and lightly sugared then
sealed in vacuum bags for freezing . I figger I'll put a cup of berries
and a quarter cup of sugar in each bag , seal then put them in the
fridge for a day or two so the sugar is well dissolved before I freeze
them . I sure hope the rest of the garden turns out this well !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Â* Edited because I thought I wasn't very clear .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 May 2019 23:16:44 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 5/18/2019 10:13 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
> * Edited because I thought I wasn't very clear .
>

>> * Our first batch of jam didn't thicken as much as we wanted . Turns
>> out it (the pectin she used) is left over from 2016 ... the batch made
>> today with new pectin turned out much thicker . Everything else
>> identical , new pectin the only difference . Turns out the berries
>> picked a couple of days ago was enough for a batch (of jam) , so she
>> cut up some (of the berries I picked today) for shortcake . That's a
>> total of 17 half pints (of jam) so far this year , and the plants are
>> still loaded . The rest of today's picking will be cut up and lightly
>> sugared then sealed in vacuum bags for freezing . I figger I'll put a
>> cup of berries and a quarter cup of sugar in each bag , seal then put
>> them in the fridge for a day or two so the sugar is well dissolved
>> before I freeze them . I sure hope the rest of the garden turns out
>> this well !

Have you tried pineapple jam? I have been making that stuff like
crazy. It is the best tasting jam I have ever had. I am currently
picking black berries off of my bush I hope I will eventually have
enough to make at least one jar of blackberry jam.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/19/2019 5:23 AM, wrote:
> On Sat, 18 May 2019 23:16:44 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/18/2019 10:13 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>
>> Â* Edited because I thought I wasn't very clear .
>>
>>> Â* Our first batch of jam didn't thicken as much as we wanted . Turns
>>> out it (the pectin she used) is left over from 2016 ... the batch made
>>> today with new pectin turned out much thicker . Everything else
>>> identical , new pectin the only difference . Turns out the berries
>>> picked a couple of days ago was enough for a batch (of jam) , so she
>>> cut up some (of the berries I picked today) for shortcake . That's a
>>> total of 17 half pints (of jam) so far this year , and the plants are
>>> still loaded . The rest of today's picking will be cut up and lightly
>>> sugared then sealed in vacuum bags for freezing . I figger I'll put a
>>> cup of berries and a quarter cup of sugar in each bag , seal then put
>>> them in the fridge for a day or two so the sugar is well dissolved
>>> before I freeze them . I sure hope the rest of the garden turns out
>>> this well !
>>>

> Have you tried pineapple jam? I have been making that stuff like
> crazy. It is the best tasting jam I have ever had. I am currently
> picking black berries off of my bush I hope I will eventually have
> enough to make at least one jar of blackberry jam.
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Â* I haven't , but that's mostly because they're sorta expensive here .
I do love pineapple , maybe when I can catch it on sale I'll try it . As
far as blackberries , I've been doing my level best to kill off the wild
ones here . The berries are usually small and not that sweet . Besides ,
I don't want them to compete with the thornless variety that I planted
last fall ... that said , we still have some half pints from the last
time I picked and she processed . We also still have some in the freezer
, along with a couple or 3 gallon Ziploc bags of wild muscadines .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 5/18/2019 10:13 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
> * Edited because I thought I wasn't very clear .
>

>> * Our first batch of jam didn't thicken as much as we wanted . Turns
>> out it (the pectin she used) is left over from 2016 ... the batch made
>> today with new pectin turned out much thicker . Everything else
>> identical , new pectin the only difference . Turns out the berries
>> picked a couple of days ago was enough for a batch (of jam) , so she
>> cut up some (of the berries I picked today) for shortcake . That's a
>> total of 17 half pints (of jam) so far this year , and the plants are
>> still loaded . The rest of today's picking will be cut up and lightly
>> sugared then sealed in vacuum bags for freezing . I figger I'll put a
>> cup of berries and a quarter cup of sugar in each bag , seal then put
>> them in the fridge for a day or two so the sugar is well dissolved
>> before I freeze them . I sure hope the rest of the garden turns out
>> this well !

I dont even buy powered pectin, I just put an apple or 2 in my jam
(peeled of course)
Apples contain a good bit of pectin

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____