FoodBanter.com

-   -   GMO? Organic?? what is your level of knowledge? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/446959-gmo-organic-what-your.html)

[email protected] 19-05-2019 12:26 PM

GMO? Organic?? what is your level of knowledge?

On Sat, 18 May 2019 05:17:49 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 8:07:05 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:02:53 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
wrote:

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 9:41:44 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/17/2019 11:49 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
I watched a new movie today...... it is free on line for a few more
days.... and I learned some valuable things.

I highly recommend this film. I had some ideas about GMO foods,
Roundup and organic foods that were wrong. I think we would all
like to have our bodies feel better.

take the time to watch, you won't regret it

https://freeshowing.secretingredient...a-2f4aeb24d347

Its an hour and 20 minutes. I'm not ready to invest that time to see
what their agenda is. They should make a condensed version.

how much time are you willing to invest to improve your health? That's
what it is about.

Well Theres no evidence that GMOs effect you health
there is no evidence that organics improve your health

Watch the movie. You'll see evidence.

Since when is a movie "evidence"? Show me the double-blind
scientific studies.

Cindy Hamilton

Yeah that's right!! you tell her!!
aint no one gonna fool this old coot with some whacky opinions because
they want higher sales of their organic crap that contains less than
1% difference in nutritional value

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

[email protected] 19-05-2019 12:28 PM

GMO? Organic?? what is your level of knowledge?

On Sat, 18 May 2019 05:08:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 17 May 2019 08:49:59 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
wrote:

I watched a new movie today...... it is free on line for a few more
days.... and I learned some valuable things.

I highly recommend this film. I had some ideas about GMO foods, Roundup
and organic foods that were wrong. I think we would all like to have
our bodies feel better.

take the time to watch, you won't regret it

https://freeshowing.secretingredient...a-2f4aeb24d347

Here is the lowdown I dont care what the video says...

GMO's are still in its infancy and there are really no solid results
on effects in the human body.

Organics is a complete scam, Sure they are a little healthier as in
more vitamins maybe and perhaps a little cleaner. But the little bit
is so little it is hardly even noticeable

Organics don't have more vitamins! What they don't have is chemicals!

yeah well you take an organic apple and a non organic apple that has
been washed with soap and water and what do you know you will have a
couple of identical apples, except you would have saved about a dollar
with the non organic.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Nancy2[_2_] 19-05-2019 01:50 PM

GMO? Organic?? what is your level of knowledge?

Ed, that Alaskan farmer has large produce crops under huge plastic-roofed greenhouses,
in addition to some rows and rows and rows outside. He was harvesting carrots this
past week, from one of the outdoor fields.

The other quirky family is the dairy-farming one. All four adult men (father and sons)
have full beards, and the sons seem to be so socially awkward it is uncomfortable to
watch. They were installing a milk processing facility ($600,000 cost) and getting an
extension of time to start paying back their loan. We have yet to see any of the women
in their lives...but the men remind me of a Fundamentalist group in manner and
dress. I think it is odd that they were still willing to be on camera...probably were
getting some payment per episode.

N.

Graham 19-05-2019 01:53 PM

On 2019-05-19 2:43 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 6:34:57 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
In article , Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

History Channel has a series about Farmers. I only saw one episode and
found it interesting. One farmer planted organic alfalfa. Lost the
entire crop because it had more weeds than alfalfa in the harvest.

Without pesticides, there would be a hell of a lot fewer of us. Maybe,
that's the point of this thread.

leo

Ignorance and fear of science and technology is strong these days.

Especially among the anti-vaxers! Idiots all!!!!!!!!

Terry Coombs 19-05-2019 02:47 PM

GMO? Organic?? what is your level of knowledge?

On 5/18/2019 11:19 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
In article , Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Interesting sideline - Our second oldest grand daughter has been
known to hold " Come to Monster" services for the neighborhood children
(she's like 13 now) where she wears a strainer on her head and preaches
to the kids about being "touched by his noodly appendage" . She's really
freaked some of the kids out with that act , she knows it's BS but she's
good , gets the little monsters all wound up . We "adults" think it's
absolutely hilarious .

She's freaking them out like "food scientists" freak you out. Fear,
uncertainty and doubt, oh my! Thanks for the nice analogy!

leo

* No fear , uncertainty or doubt here . I've seen enough evidence to
believe that glyphosate is bad for humans and animals to ingest . The
big money pharma corps are doing everything they can to bury anybody
that disagrees with their assertions that this stuff is safe . IMO it
ain't , and I will do what I can to minimize our exposure . Being a
beekeeper , I've also looked at information about the effects it has on
them - fortunately we live far far away from any monocropping operations
where chemicals are in widespread use . Doesn't kill them , but it does
have an effect on their (and our) "gut bacteria" . Did you know that it
was originally patented as an antibiotic ? Remember how a round of
antibiotics tore up your digestion ? Well , glyphosate does the same
damn thing on a much smaller scale , but it's continuous . Now I'm not
an "organic everything" fanatic , but we do try to limit or eliminate
things that we believe will harm our bodies .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Dave Smith[_1_] 19-05-2019 04:00 PM

On 2019-05-19 2:43 a.m., dsi1 wrote:

Ignorance and fear of science and technology is strong these days.

Especially among the anti-vaxers! Idiots all!!!!!!!!

Being born in 1950, I started school in 1955. I had had chickenpox,
mumps and measles as an infant and was lucky not to have suffered any
long term effects. Others were no so lucky. We had a number of kids in
our school who had to wear leg braces due to partial paralysis resulting
from having contracted polio. They were pretty dorky looking. Think of
Forrest Gump, but without the miraculous recovery. Never mind the social
effects of being a gimp in the 50s, the suffered the effects for thea
rest of their lives. Even the mildest cases came back decades later and
caused mobility problems.

Those were the older kids. My contemporaries were lucky. We had vaccine
in the primary grades, and I don't know of a single child from the those
lower grades who ever got polio. Vaccinations have also reduced the
incidence of lockjaw, rabies, smallpox, measles, mumps and other serious
and other communicable disease.

Graham 19-05-2019 05:30 PM

What a load of ********!!!

Terry Coombs 19-05-2019 07:48 PM

On 2019-05-19 7:47 a.m., Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

*You're entitled to your own opinion no matter how dead wrong it is .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Boron Elgar[_1_] 19-05-2019 09:23 PM

GMO? Organic?? what is your level of knowledge?

On Sun, 19 May 2019 08:47:22 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* No fear , uncertainty or doubt here . I've seen enough evidence to
believe that glyphosate is bad for humans and animals to ingest .

Upon what evidence are you basing your statement? Point me to studies
that have been conducted about ingestion of glyphosates?

The
big money pharma corps are doing everything they can to bury anybody
that disagrees with their assertions that this stuff is safe .

Why would pharmas generally be interested in this? Monsanto has been
the largest producer and it was very recently bought out by Bayer, but
that is the crop science division of Bayer.

IMO it
ain't , and I will do what I can to minimize our exposure . Being a
beekeeper , I've also looked at information about the effects it has on
them - fortunately we live far far away from any monocropping operations
where chemicals are in widespread use . Doesn't kill them , but it does
have an effect on their (and our) "gut bacteria" .

What does the gut biome of bees have to do with humans?

Did you know that it
was originally patented as an antibiotic ?

Um, that was because of anti-protozoa activity and never pursued in
any way one would think of antibiotics an humans.

Remember how a round of
antibiotics tore up your digestion ?

Well, that is the way any antibiotic works - it'll likely kill off
some good bacteria, too, while making sure that raging infection it's
there to fight off doesn't make you explode as a bag of pus. Remember
how people can drop dead from bacterial infections?

Well , glyphosate does the same
damn thing on a much smaller scale , but it's continuous .

WTF are you talking about? "Continuous"? What is continuous?

Now I'm not
an "organic everything" fanatic , but we do try to limit or eliminate
things that we believe will harm our bodies .

I think what you do is hang around fruitcake websites and spout their
bullshit other places online. Put up or shut up.

Graham 19-05-2019 11:23 PM

wrote:

[...]

Thank goodness for rationality! You are so much more eloquent than me:-)
Graham

Julie Bove[_2_] 20-05-2019 02:01 AM

wrote in message
On Sat, 18 May 2019 05:08:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Uh... Wrong. Pesticides can't be washed off.

[email protected] 20-05-2019 08:09 AM

GMO? Organic?? what is your level of knowledge?

On Sun, 19 May 2019 18:01:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Wash all your fruits and vegetables. According to the CSE, washing
them with 2% of salt water will remove most of the contact pesticide
residues that normally appear on the surface of the vegetables and
fruits. Almost 75 to 80 percent of pesticide residues are removed by
cold water washing.

google it.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Julie Bove[_2_] 20-05-2019 01:45 PM

wrote in message
On Sun, 19 May 2019 18:01:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 18 May 2019 05:08:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

So then you're still getting some. Right?

[email protected] 20-05-2019 06:30 PM

GMO? Organic?? what is your level of knowledge?

On Mon, 20 May 2019 05:45:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sat, 18 May 2019 05:08:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

The bit of info I posted is about plain water, I am fairly sure that
soap and water will get more off.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Julie Bove[_2_] 20-05-2019 11:42 PM

wrote in message
On Mon, 20 May 2019 05:45:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 19 May 2019 18:01:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 18 May 2019 05:08:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

news:[email protected] com...
wrote:

[...]

Wrong.