Old 18-05-2019, 09:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default GMO? Organic?? what is your level of knowledge?

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 5/18/2019 12:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/18/2019 8:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 17 May 2019 14:25:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/17/2019 1:02 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 9:41:44 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/17/2019 11:49 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
I watched a new movie today...... it is free on line for a few more
days.... and I learned some valuable things.

I highly recommend this film. I had some ideas about GMO foods,
Roundup and organic foods that were wrong. I think we would all
like to have our bodies feel better.

take the time to watch, you won't regret it

https://freeshowing.secretingredient...a-2f4aeb24d347

Its an hour and 20 minutes. I'm not ready to invest that time to see
what their agenda is. They should make a condensed version.

how much time are you willing to invest to improve your health?
That's what it is about.

I got 90% of what I needed to know from the trailer. The movie started
off rather boring and did not entice me to spend a lot of time.

I'm not in favor of GMO but do not go crazy to get organic. People
often chide Bruce about his ingredient lists, but he is right. We
don't
need a lot of that crap and we avoid it.

Have you heard of the Feingold Diet? Very similar to avoid
preservatives and artificial colors. Made quite a difference in my
son's behavior as a child. especially red food coloring, you could
pick
him off the ceiling.

LOL red food coloring has been proven to have no effect on
hyperactivity in children

Proof?

CK can laugh but I've seen it happen. Made a mistake once and let him get
a cherry water ice. Did not take long at all for the reaction. Not saying
evey kid is affected but some sure are.

Didn't they ban red food dye #7 or some such thing decades ago? Well
before anyone thought about GMO's and "organic" labels or Roundup?

One dye was banned, yes. Can't remember which one.

Old 18-05-2019, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 May 2019 15:05:10 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/18/2019 10:42 AM, songbird wrote:
graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird

Maybe. That is a broad statement. What about insects in the home?
Termites? Ants? Should we never use a poison? How do you feel about
rats?

Don't be silly. We don't consume insecticides and pesticides.

We do or could be if eating non organic food!

Old 18-05-2019, 09:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 May 2019 07:32:27 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 5/18/2019 5:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 6:30:46 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/17/2019 12:01 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 9:41:44 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/17/2019 11:49 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
I watched a new movie today...... it is free on line for a few more
days.... and I learned some valuable things.

I highly recommend this film. I had some ideas about GMO foods,
Roundup and organic foods that were wrong. I think we would all
like to have our bodies feel better.

take the time to watch, you won't regret it

https://freeshowing.secretingredient...a-2f4aeb24d347

Its an hour and 20 minutes. I'm not ready to invest that time to see
what their agenda is. They should make a condensed version.
There is a 3 minute trailer. Their agenda is education about these
things and your health.
https://secretingredientsmovie.com/trailer/
Well , sorta . Their message is that GMO's are bad . But not
(necessarily) because they're GMO's . Mostly because they're doused
with
Roundup , which is BadShit in my book . My wife's digestive problems
all
started around the time Roundup came into widespread use . Some plants
,
it IS because of GMO genetics - some of them have Bacillus Thurigensis
genes which produce a toxin that kills predator insects . That shit
ain't good for humans either .
What's your evidence for that? People inoculate their soil with
BT all the time. It's a common insecticide for organic gardening
and farming.

Cindy Hamilton

When used in the soil or sprayed on the plant the toxins are produced
INSIDE THE TARGET INSECT'S BODY and that's where they stay . When those
genes are spliced into a crop plant the toxin is produced by the plant ,
and ingested by us . Simple enough to understand IMO .

BT toxins are not activated within humans.

The movie pointed out that some things affect our brains.

Old 18-05-2019, 09:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 May 2019 13:02:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .

graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird

Maybe. That is a broad statement. What about insects in the home?
Termites? Ants? Should we never use a poison? How do you feel about
rats?

Don't be silly. We don't consume insecticides and pesticides.

We do or could be if eating non organic food!

Yes, but it's not intentional. We don't open our mouths and spray ant
repellent in.
Old 18-05-2019, 09:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird

Maybe. That is a broad statement. What about insects in the home?
Termites? Ants? Should we never use a poison? How do you feel about
rats?

History Channel has a series about Farmers. I only saw one episode and
found it interesting. One farmer planted organic alfalfa. Lost the
entire crop because it had more weeds than alfalfa in the harvest.

I'm sure there is over use and mis use of insecticides and fertilizer.
Organic farming is getting better as more farmers find alternatives too.
Consumers have to learn that produce does not have to look pretty to
taste good.

Is Roundup safe? Don't know. The guy that got cancer and big bucks used
tons of it. Many chemicals can do that bot can be safe. Most of us have
little exposure but I'm not qualified to say how much, if any, is OK.

What is known is that it's a highly effective herbicide that has greatly improved our lives. As far as toxicity goes, it's probably between distilled water and agent orange.

Old 18-05-2019, 10:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird

Maybe. That is a broad statement. What about insects in the home?
Termites? Ants? Should we never use a poison? How do you feel about
rats?

Don't be silly. We don't consume insecticides and pesticides.

Right, they never get sprayed on a crop.
They list 87 of them here.
https://www.domyown.com/insecticides....html?page=all

Old 18-05-2019, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird

Maybe. That is a broad statement. What about insects in the home?
Termites? Ants? Should we never use a poison? How do you feel about
rats?

Don't be silly. We don't consume insecticides and pesticides.

We do or could be if eating non organic food!

Yes, but it's not intentional. We don't open our mouths and spray ant
repellent in.

But if the poison companies are all closed there won't be any for any
use. When you make a broad statement they are included. Of course,
they would never be mis-used either.
Old 18-05-2019, 10:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird

Maybe. That is a broad statement. What about insects in the home?
Termites? Ants? Should we never use a poison? How do you feel about
rats?

Don't be silly. We don't consume insecticides and pesticides.

Right, they never get sprayed on a crop.
They list 87 of them here.
https://www.domyown.com/insecticides....html?page=all

You're being silly. That's ok. Enjoy.
Old 18-05-2019, 11:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed, I also have watched episodes of "American Farm." I think it is really gutsy of
The man with the daughter as a paid employee to grow so much Produce in Alaska..
....a sparsely populated state in the firstplace...without finding out what kind of a market
there would be. Last episode, his daughter approached a former employer who was a
chef of a restaurant to check out if he would be a buyer. Even the best Alaskan restaurant
wouldn't have enough volume, seems to me, to be able to buy a lot of produce no matter
how good it was (and it looked really good quality).

N.
Old 18-05-2019, 11:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2019 6:23 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
Ed, I also have watched episodes of "American Farm." I think it is really gutsy of
The man with the daughter as a paid employee to grow so much Produce in Alaska..
...a sparsely populated state in the firstplace...without finding out what kind of a market
there would be. Last episode, his daughter approached a former employer who was a
chef of a restaurant to check out if he would be a buyer. Even the best Alaskan restaurant
wouldn't have enough volume, seems to me, to be able to buy a lot of produce no matter
how good it was (and it looked really good quality).

N.

That's the only episode I saw but will check out more. There are
certain crops that do well in parts of Alaska because the daylight in
summer. I recall seeing some record sized veggies like cabbage.

Old 19-05-2019, 05:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Interesting sideline - Our second oldest grand daughter has been
known to hold " Come to Monster" services for the neighborhood children
(she's like 13 now) where she wears a strainer on her head and preaches
to the kids about being "touched by his noodly appendage" . She's really
freaked some of the kids out with that act , she knows it's BS but she's
good , gets the little monsters all wound up . We "adults" think it's
absolutely hilarious .

She's freaking them out like "food scientists" freak you out. Fear,
uncertainty and doubt, oh my! Thanks for the nice analogy!

leo
Old 19-05-2019, 05:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

History Channel has a series about Farmers. I only saw one episode and
found it interesting. One farmer planted organic alfalfa. Lost the
entire crop because it had more weeds than alfalfa in the harvest.

Without pesticides, there would be a hell of a lot fewer of us. Maybe,
that's the point of this thread.

leo
Old 19-05-2019, 09:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 6:34:57 PM UTC-10, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
In article , Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

History Channel has a series about Farmers. I only saw one episode and
found it interesting. One farmer planted organic alfalfa. Lost the
entire crop because it had more weeds than alfalfa in the harvest.

Without pesticides, there would be a hell of a lot fewer of us. Maybe,
that's the point of this thread.

leo

Ignorance and fear of science and technology is strong these days. Nitrogen fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, and GMO, allow us a food supply that would not be possible in the past. People fear the science of food but they should consider the alternative - starvation.
Old 19-05-2019, 10:29 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 May 2019 13:02:40 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

. ..

graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against
Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird

Maybe. That is a broad statement. What about insects in the home?
Termites? Ants? Should we never use a poison? How do you feel about
rats?

Don't be silly. We don't consume insecticides and pesticides.

We do or could be if eating non organic food!

Yes, but it's not intentional. We don't open our mouths and spray ant
repellent in.

Well... most of us don't.

Old 19-05-2019, 11:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 May 2019 02:29:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .

graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against
Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird

Maybe. That is a broad statement. What about insects in the home?
Termites? Ants? Should we never use a poison? How do you feel about
rats?

Don't be silly. We don't consume insecticides and pesticides.

We do or could be if eating non organic food!

Yes, but it's not intentional. We don't open our mouths and spray ant
repellent in.

Well... most of us don't.

Only dsi1 does. He's fearless!