Old 18-05-2019, 01:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default GMO? Organic?? what is your level of knowledge?

On 5/17/2019 9:09 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 5:39:23 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/17/2019 5:21 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 17 May 2019 10:02:53 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
wrote:

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 9:41:44 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/17/2019 11:49 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
I watched a new movie today...... it is free on line for a few more days.... and I learned some valuable things.

I highly recommend this film. I had some ideas about GMO foods, Roundup and organic foods that were wrong. I think we would all like to have our bodies feel better.

take the time to watch, you won't regret it

https://freeshowing.secretingredient...a-2f4aeb24d347

Its an hour and 20 minutes. I'm not ready to invest that time to see
what their agenda is. They should make a condensed version.
how much time are you willing to invest to improve your health? That's what it is about.
Well Theres no evidence that GMOs effect you health
there is no evidence that organics improve your health

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

* I bet you believe in AGW too ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

ROFL!!

I Believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpsEUGOoxgI

John Kuthe...

* Interesting sideline - Our second oldest grand daughter has been
known to hold " Come to Monster" services for the neighborhood children
(she's like 13 now) where she wears a strainer on her head and preaches
to the kids about being "touched by his noodly appendage" . She's really
freaked some of the kids out with that act , she knows it's BS but she's
good , gets the little monsters all wound up . We "adults" think it's
absolutely hilarious .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 18-05-2019, 02:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2019 7:17 AM, Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 18 May 2019 05:08:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 17 May 2019 08:49:59 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
wrote:

I watched a new movie today...... it is free on line for a few more
days.... and I learned some valuable things.

I highly recommend this film. I had some ideas about GMO foods, Roundup
and organic foods that were wrong. I think we would all like to have
our bodies feel better.

take the time to watch, you won't regret it

https://freeshowing.secretingredient...a-2f4aeb24d347

Here is the lowdown I dont care what the video says...

GMO's are still in its infancy and there are really no solid results
on effects in the human body.

Organics is a complete scam, Sure they are a little healthier as in
more vitamins maybe and perhaps a little cleaner. But the little bit
is so little it is hardly even noticeable

Organics don't have more vitamins! What they don't have is chemicals!

Exactly.

* One of the problems with organics is that they don't always have the
"eye appeal" and perfect appearance of chemical-doused produce . We can
and do use some chemicals in the garden , mostly anti-fungals and Bt .
Most hard shell insects are controlled by DE , we use nothing "systemic"
and nothing that can't be rinsed off . And we only use those products
when absolutely necessary , not as a preventive measure . When the
garden plants have gotten bigger I plan to make a "tunnel" of chicken
wire to let the hens get to the garden to assist with insect control .
The roosters are doing a pretty good job with the area around the house
since the hens (I counted the votes) elected to evict them from the pen .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 18-05-2019, 02:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 8:31:41 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/18/2019 5:28 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 6:30:46 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/17/2019 12:01 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 9:41:44 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/17/2019 11:49 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
I watched a new movie today...... it is free on line for a few more days.... and I learned some valuable things.

I highly recommend this film. I had some ideas about GMO foods, Roundup and organic foods that were wrong. I think we would all like to have our bodies feel better.

take the time to watch, you won't regret it

https://freeshowing.secretingredient...a-2f4aeb24d347

Its an hour and 20 minutes. I'm not ready to invest that time to see
what their agenda is. They should make a condensed version.
There is a 3 minute trailer. Their agenda is education about these things and your health.
https://secretingredientsmovie.com/trailer/
* Well , sorta . Their message is that GMO's are bad . But not
(necessarily) because they're GMO's . Mostly because they're doused with
Roundup , which is BadShit in my book . My wife's digestive problems all
started around the time Roundup came into widespread use . Some plants ,
it IS because of GMO genetics - some of them have Bacillus Thurigensis
genes which produce a toxin that kills predator insects . That shit
ain't good for humans either .

What's your evidence for that? People inoculate their soil with
BT all the time. It's a common insecticide for organic gardening
and farming.

Cindy Hamilton

When used in the soil or sprayed on the plant the toxins are produced
INSIDE THE TARGET INSECT'S BODY and that's where they stay . When those
genes are spliced into a crop plant the toxin is produced by the plant ,
and ingested by us . Simple enough to understand IMO .

And are the toxins harmful to us? Not every organism is harmed
by the same stuff. Chocolate and dogs comes to mind.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 18-05-2019, 02:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 8:37:37 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
On Sat, 18 May 2019 05:17:49 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

wrote:

On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 9:41:44 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/17/2019 11:49 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
I watched a new movie today...... it is free on line for a few more
days.... and I learned some valuable things.

I highly recommend this film. I had some ideas about GMO foods,
Roundup and organic foods that were wrong. I think we would all
like to have our bodies feel better.

take the time to watch, you won't regret it

https://freeshowing.secretingredient...a-2f4aeb24d347

Its an hour and 20 minutes. I'm not ready to invest that time to see
what their agenda is. They should make a condensed version.

how much time are you willing to invest to improve your health? That's
what it is about.

Well Theres no evidence that GMOs effect you health
there is no evidence that organics improve your health

Watch the movie. You'll see evidence.

Since when is a movie "evidence"? Show me the double-blind
scientific studies.

You can be such a geek.

There's no "can be" about it.

How am I wrong for insisting on the gold standard for scientific
results rather than some crap interpreted by moviemakers?

You might as well get your health information from random Internet
sites. Oh, wait....

Cindy Hamilton
Old 18-05-2019, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2019 7:35 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/18/2019 6:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
[...]

insects . That shit ain't good for humans either . Ed , IMO it's
worth at least a cursory watch . Play it while you're cooking dinner
or something . IMO there's enough evidence that the stuff should be
yanked from the market , but the money ... fattest wallet usually
wins in these cases .
*Side note - because they often use Roundup to desiccate wheat just
before harvest I use a premium flour to bake all our bread products .
Non- GMO and Roundup-free . This year I'm growing some corn out in
the garden as a test . We'll see if home grown without Roundup causes
her intestinal distress like commercial products do .

I could be wrong here. I got the movie link from Coast to Coast AM.
The burgers that were mentioned here were talked about, I think in the
movie, but it could have been on the radio show. The fake meat is GMO
to make new kinds of protein and it is not digested well.

* I don't recall which SciFi universe it was in , they had a meat
production "creature" that was a cross between a slug and a pig , called
appropriately enough "Slig" . Just a big ol' blob of flesh that they
sliced slabs off of . I wouldn't eat that either ...

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Slig

Old 18-05-2019, 03:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird
Old 18-05-2019, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2019 8:06 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 17 May 2019 14:25:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/17/2019 1:02 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 9:41:44 AM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/17/2019 11:49 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
I watched a new movie today...... it is free on line for a few
more days....* and I learned some valuable things.

I highly recommend this film.* I had some ideas about GMO foods,
Roundup and organic foods that were wrong.**** I think we would
all like to have our bodies feel better.

take the time to watch, you won't regret it

https://freeshowing.secretingredient...a-2f4aeb24d347

Its an hour and 20 minutes.* I'm not ready to invest that time to see
what their agenda is.* They should make a condensed version.

how much time are you willing to invest to improve your health?
That's what it is about.

I got 90% of what I needed to know from the trailer.* The movie started
off rather boring and did not entice me to spend a lot of time.

I'm not in favor of GMO but do not go crazy to get organic.* People
often chide Bruce about his ingredient lists, but he is right.* We don't
need a lot of that crap and we avoid it.

Have you heard of the Feingold Diet?* Very similar to avoid
preservatives and artificial colors.* Made quite a difference in my
son's behavior as a child. especially red food coloring, you could pick
him off the ceiling.

LOL red food coloring has been proven to have no effect on
hyperactivity in children

Proof?

CK can laugh but I've seen it happen. Made a mistake once and let him
get a cherry water ice. Did not take long at all for the reaction. Not
saying evey kid is affected but some sure are.
Old 18-05-2019, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-18 10:55 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

LOL red food coloring has been proven to have no effect on
hyperactivity in children

Proof?

CK can laugh but I've seen it happen.* Made a mistake once and let him
get a cherry water ice.* Did not take long at all for the reaction.* Not
saying evey kid is affected but some sure are.

I know that when one of my son's friends came to ours for a sleepover or
b/day party, we had to make sure that everything was free of colorants
et al. He was a severe ADHD and on Ritalin. A little ketchup would send
him "flying"!
Old 18-05-2019, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 May 2019 07:32:27 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

[...]

BT toxins are not activated within humans.
Old 18-05-2019, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
[...]

Didn't they ban red food dye #7 or some such thing decades ago? Well
before anyone thought about GMO's and "organic" labels or Roundup?

Jill

Old 18-05-2019, 07:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.entsoc.org/sites/default...ctsheet-Bt.pdf

Old 18-05-2019, 08:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2019 10:42 AM, songbird wrote:
graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird

Maybe. That is a broad statement. What about insects in the home?
Termites? Ants? Should we never use a poison? How do you feel about
rats?

History Channel has a series about Farmers. I only saw one episode and
found it interesting. One farmer planted organic alfalfa. Lost the
entire crop because it had more weeds than alfalfa in the harvest.

I'm sure there is over use and mis use of insecticides and fertilizer.
Organic farming is getting better as more farmers find alternatives too.
Consumers have to learn that produce does not have to look pretty to
taste good.

Is Roundup safe? Don't know. The guy that got cancer and big bucks used
tons of it. Many chemicals can do that bot can be safe. Most of us have
little exposure but I'm not qualified to say how much, if any, is OK.
Old 18-05-2019, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:
and use a jury composed of scientists in court cases against Bayer!!!!!

the sooner we put poison manufacturers out of business
the better.

songbird

Maybe. That is a broad statement. What about insects in the home?
Termites? Ants? Should we never use a poison? How do you feel about
rats?

Don't be silly. We don't consume insecticides and pesticides.

Old 18-05-2019, 08:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
[...]

I've seen it happen too. I was in charge of the food for parties for the
kids with allergies at Angela's school. Not all of them. Just the ones in
her class.One boy got a skin rash if he ate a certain yellow dye.