Old 15-05-2019, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Help please? OT

On 5/15/2019 3:49 AM, Ophelia wrote:

"jmcquown"¬* wrote in message ...

On 5/13/2019 10:11 AM, Gary wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I don't have Alexa or Echo or any of those other devices sitting around
my house gathering information.¬* Listening to what I might say.¬* I'm not
so lazy I want to have to talk into my television to change the
channels.¬* Want your appliances listening to you?¬* I don't need my
refrigerator to tell me when I'm running low on milk.¬* Don't need to
turn on the washing machine from my phone when I'm out in the car,
either.

I completely agree with you here, Jill. The world has gone insane
with all the nifty technology these days. I'm really not all that
interested in it.

It's too intrusive.¬*¬* It also incorporates tech into simple things which
(should be) a part of everyday life.¬* Such as hey, you load the washing
machine, add detergent and turn it on.¬* Why would you need to do that
remotely?

Okay, devil's advocate (per the advertising I've seen:¬* There are teens
in the house who might forget to turn on the washer as part of their
chores.¬* I'm not sure what the dire consequences of that would be.

I like paper shopping lists.¬* But hey, I understand some folks don't.
There are apps for that.¬* But to me, having to sync your phone to your
refrigerator to tell you to buy whatever is just plain lazy.¬* Hey, how
about when you open your refrigerator you notice if you're running low
on something?

I don't know about you but I don't necessarily buy the same things every
time I go to the store.¬* For example, just because I'm out of a
particular cheese doesn't mean I intend to buy it the next time I go
grocery shopping.¬* I don't need or want my refrigerator to keep
inventory and send it off to the cloud and then to my phone (not that I
have one).

Syncing everything together means more and more exposure¬* Companies use
it to target advertising.¬* Who knows what other private information is
disseminated and to whom.

Jill
==

¬*¬*¬* Well said!

I guess that makes you an official Biddy, too, Ophelia!

Jill

Old 15-05-2019, 03:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2019 9:41 AM, Opinicus wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2019 08:49:47 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

I like paper shopping lists. But hey, I understand some folks don't.
There are apps for that. But to me, having to sync your phone to your
refrigerator to tell you to buy whatever is just plain lazy. Hey, how
about when you open your refrigerator you notice if you're running low
on something?

I don't know about you but I don't necessarily buy the same things every
time I go to the store. For example, just because I'm out of a
particular cheese doesn't mean I intend to buy it the next time I go
grocery shopping. I don't need or want my refrigerator to keep
inventory and send it off to the cloud and then to my phone (not that I
have one).

Syncing everything together means more and more exposure Companies use
it to target advertising.

There's a supermarket chain here in Turkey (I translate their annual
reports etc) that's touting a "service" and app that keeps track of
your food purchases and makes "healthy" suggestions about things that
you need to buy if you're not getting "enough of important food
groups".

Oh goody! We all certainly need to be told what we should eat and what
is *better* for us. Especially when specific food manufacturers and
supermarket suppliers get their hands on the data. Buy more of this
(make sure it's our brand)... it's better for you!

Coming up next: Robotic arms installed on shelves pitching items into
our shopping carts (and charging form them immediately of course) as
we move down the aisles. Think of all the time we'll save at checkout!

As ridiculous as it sounds, such an idea wouldn't surprise me. But of
course there are already phone apps to total the items in your cart
before you get to the checkout. You can scan the barcodes. My
supermarket doesn't allow any sort of pre-pay like that but if someone
wants to know what to expect when they get to the checkout, I suppose
it's handy.

I pretty much have an idea of what I want to buy before I go to the
supermarket. I also have a pretty good idea (in my head) of what things
cost. I see the prices and compare. The only "scanning" done is with
my eyes and my brain when I put something in the cart.

Let an App access my bank account? Nope. I'll pay when I get to the
checkout stand. And keep people employed.

I don't use those self-checkouts, either. They're costing people jobs.

Jill
Old 15-05-2019, 03:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-15 8:31 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

Jesus, people are lazy.¬* Even if I were outside I could walk back
into the damned house and do any of that.

Cindy Hamilton

Lazy indeed!¬* It sounds ridiculous.¬* Same thing with starting the
washing machine remotely.¬* Most people just turn the machine on when
they put clothes and detergent in it.

People get sucked into buying the extras that the don't really need.
They cost very little to manufacture and install, but are generally
expensive to repair. I can understand delayed starts. People may want
to delay starting a load of laundry if there are a bunch of people
showering and there are hot water demands, or delaying a load of laundry
until a time when the power rates are lower. The need for a remote start
boggles me.

Old 15-05-2019, 04:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The smart computer devices in your home that listen

Sqwertz wrote:

On Tue, 14 May 2019 09:12:46 -0400, Gary wrote:

Movie is called, "Knock Knock" (2015) and is a thriller-horror
film.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock_Knock_(2015_film)
Starring Keanu Reeves

If you're interested, I suggest you *NOT* read the review above.
Just watch the movie first and start out knowing nothing about
it. Pay attention to all though. The very ending was good.

I only watched it one night when nothing interesting was on. Boy
was I glad I decided to watch it. [email protected] movie and a good one.

The first thing at look at when new movie torrents come out is the
IMDB rating and number of reviews. Nothing under 5.0. And rarely
anything 5.9.

Knock Knock fails get three strikes. The two mentioned and the
show-stopper: Keanu Reeves.

I *never* judge a movie by reviews. It's nothing but someone
elses opinion. Ones that get bad reviews are often ones I like.

As far as that movie goes, it features hot babes, a very bizarre
storyline and a pretty cool and unexpected ending (the very
end). I liked it.
Old 15-05-2019, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2019 6:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Here's what GE says about it:

Preheat your oven remotely by turning it on from the App
Get notifications when preheated, when Timer finishes, or when meat probe* reaches temperature
Determine time remaining
Monitor and change the oven temperature
Turn off your oven
Adjust your oven control - Set Clock, Tone Volume, Sabbath Mode, and more
Exclusive meat probe* feature with App - Select meat type and doneness and let the App determine the temperature and cook time.
Further expand the capabilities of your product by connecting with our integrations

Jesus, people are lazy. Even if I were outside I could walk back
into the damned house and do any of that.

Cindy Hamilton

Sorry honey, no dinner tonight. I forgot to charge my phone so I can't
start the oven.

Now if you can get the wi-fi enabled refrigerator to coordinate and move
the food from freezer to oven on its own, count me in.

When we bought here we had the option to upgrade the GE appliances and
we did. I actually like it more than I thought. It does not have wi-fi
though.

Old 15-05-2019, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 12:12:52 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

The stove I got was on sale, so I didn't worry about niggling
details like features that I'd never use. I'll never use
Sabbath mode, either.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 15-05-2019, 06:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2019 12:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

LOL! I just love the idea of having food sitting in the oven for who
knows how long just waiting for you to remember to access the App to
turn on the oven.

Jill
Old 15-05-2019, 06:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/15/2019 12:52 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

It's a good thing you can ignore it. I'd find it bothersome and would
find a way to turn that "feature" off.

Jill
Old 15-05-2019, 06:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-15 11:17 a.m., Gary wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:

The first thing at look at when new movie torrents come out is the
IMDB rating and number of reviews. Nothing under 5.0. And rarely
anything 5.9.

Knock Knock fails get three strikes. The two mentioned and the
show-stopper: Keanu Reeves.

I *never* judge a movie by reviews. It's nothing but someone
elses opinion. Ones that get bad reviews are often ones I like.

A lot or reviews are just verbose rants of the reviewer. They are more
interested in making themselves look good that evaluating the movie.
Oscar nominations and wins are equally meaningless. The Oscars are just
a night of Hollywood hype, drumming up business for theatres and video
stores. Another kiss of death for movies IMO is when the video store has
two dozen copies. Odds are the movie is loser.

As far as that movie goes, it features hot babes, a very bizarre
storyline and a pretty cool and unexpected ending (the very
end). I liked it.

Some of the oddball movies are the best.

Old 15-05-2019, 09:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou." One of the best Coen Brothers movies, ever.
Too bad, many people just didn't appreciate it.

N.
Old 15-05-2019, 09:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia, I think that's (Malwarebytes) is the program I,have for eternity. More or
less. LOL.

N.
Old 15-05-2019, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown"* wrote in message ...

[...]

No, people with a sense of humour are immune.