Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Impossible" burger.

On 5/11/2019 10:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Ah yes!Â* Wood fiber.Â* Yummy!

I suspect it will all boil down to water consumption.

Currently, I live in the middle of "beef country", as I've sed b4. Will
"veggie burgers" replace real beef. I have zero idea, but it can't
hurt! I'm now seeing cube steaks going fer $9.95 per lb. How long can
we keep this up? Not long, I'm think'n. This, in the middle of
Colorado's beef country?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2019 1:25 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 5/11/2019 10:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Ah yes!Â* Wood fiber.Â* Yummy!

> I suspect it will all boil down to water consumption.
>
> Currently, I live in the middle of "beef country", as I've sed b4.Â* Will
> "veggie burgers" replace real beef.Â* I have zero idea, but it can't
> hurt!Â* I'm now seeing cube steaks going fer $9.95 per lb.Â* How long can
> we keep this up?Â* Not long, I'm think'n.Â* This, in the middle of
> Colorado's beef country?Â*
>
> nb

Cubed round steaks (round steak, in general) has been ridiculously
priced here for years. I can buy a nicely marbled ribeye, chuckeye or
even a NY strip steak for less than that per pound. So I do. Nothing
is going to make me start eating meat substitutes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2019 07:47:48 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 11 May 2019 12:08:36 +1000, Jeßus > wrote:

>> et...

>> >There's no such thing as too much garlic.

>> I find it hard to imagine too.

>I always thought that too until I tried one recipe calling for
>like 15 garlic cloves smashed and minced. As I was making the
>dish, I thought, "This is too much." I was right, it was too
>much. Half as much would have been better.

Raw can be too much for me, but cooked not very quickly.

>Back to the subject line. NOW would be a good time for an
>ingredient list, Bruce. Just what goes into an "Impossible
>burger" non-meat patty? Not meat but it might be scary.

It's often a problem with meat replacers that the ingredient list
looks like a science project. I still eat fish, so I don't really need
them anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2019 05:24:17 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Bruce, that quote belongs to someone else, didn't keep track. that is why it is in quotes.

I don't see any quotes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2019 04:55:42 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 7:47:58 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>>
>> I always thought that too until I tried one recipe calling for
>> like 15 garlic cloves smashed and minced. As I was making the
>> dish, I thought, "This is too much." I was right, it was too
>> much. Half as much would have been better.
>>
>> Back to the subject line. NOW would be a good time for an
>> ingredient list, Bruce. Just what goes into an "Impossible
>> burger" non-meat patty? Not meat but it might be scary.

>I will oblige:
>
>Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.
>
><https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018937494-What-are-the-ingredients->
>
>The meatiness must come from Soy Leghemoglobin.
>
>I'd rather eat meat.

There is a 3rd option.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2019 10:57:24 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/11/2019 7:50 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> Hey, she's a biddy. She doesn't get around much. She prefers to read
>>> her book and eat her steamed vegetables. Lightly salted.

>> Just reponding to let her see what you said. Killfile people are
>> babies that can't deal with reality, imo.
>>

>Bruce's comments have very little to do with reality, Gary. It's about
>time you stopped being his cheerleader. You also very conveniently snip
>relevent replies.

He's my biggest critic here.

>I don't get around much? Then what the hell was I doing in Chicago? I
>had some wonderful calamari while I was there and a pasta dish with
>mussels and garlic. I like garlic a lot but there is such a thing as
>too much garlic.

When people killfile me, I can say anything about them. When I know
they actually read what I write, I have no choice but to be very
polite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2019 07:50:41 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >Well, aren't YOU special? lol

>> Hey, she's a biddy. She doesn't get around much. She prefers to read
>> her book and eat her steamed vegetables. Lightly salted.

>Just reponding to let her see what you said. Killfile people are
>babies that can't deal with reality, imo.

Yes, my killfile is empty. Besides, nobody's forcing you to read
anything. When a certain someone starts with "In 1986..." or "I have a
buddy...", I'm gone already.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 3:05:36 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 11 May 2019 04:55:42 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 7:47:58 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> >>
> >> I always thought that too until I tried one recipe calling for
> >> like 15 garlic cloves smashed and minced. As I was making the
> >> dish, I thought, "This is too much." I was right, it was too
> >> much. Half as much would have been better.
> >>
> >> Back to the subject line. NOW would be a good time for an
> >> ingredient list, Bruce. Just what goes into an "Impossible
> >> burger" non-meat patty? Not meat but it might be scary.

> >I will oblige:
> >
> >Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.
> >
> ><https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018937494-What-are-the-ingredients->
> >
> >The meatiness must come from Soy Leghemoglobin.
> >
> >I'd rather eat meat.

> There is a 3rd option.

Which I often take. I frequently eat vegetarian meals.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2019 3:25 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 3:05:36 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 May 2019 04:55:42 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> I will oblige:
>>>
>>> Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.
>>>
>>> <https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018937494-What-are-the-ingredients->
>>>
>>> The meatiness must come from Soy Leghemoglobin.
>>>
>>> I'd rather eat meat.

>> There is a 3rd option.

> Which I often take. I frequently eat vegetarian meals.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I do, too. I just don't consciously go out of my way to do it. It
depends on what I'm craving for dinner. Meat is not always involved.
Fake meat is *never* involved.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2019 15:39:02 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/11/2019 3:25 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 3:05:36 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Sat, 11 May 2019 04:55:42 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> There is a 3rd option.

>> Which I often take. I frequently eat vegetarian meals.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I do, too. I just don't consciously go out of my way to do it. It
>depends on what I'm craving for dinner. Meat is not always involved.
>Fake meat is *never* involved.

I hate the word 'vegetarian'. I'll have a roll with grilled eggplant
for lunch, but I won't call it a vegetarian lunch. That word puts me
right off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-11 6:48 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 8:44:04 AM UTC-4, graham wrote:
>> On 2019-05-10 8:08 p.m., Je�us wrote:
>>> On Fri, 10 May 2019 16:25:21 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> There's no such thing as too much garlic.
>>>

>> I dunno! Try Szechuan-style Eggplant. Your breath not only stinks for a
>> week but you perspire garlic-scented sweat as well.

> You say that like it's a bad thing.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

To your colleagues, perhaps!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2019 13:57:03 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-05-11 6:48 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I dunno! Try Szechuan-style Eggplant. Your breath not only stinks for a
>>> week but you perspire garlic-scented sweat as well.

>> You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>To your colleagues, perhaps!

Graham, you can't see garlic breath, so it doesn't exist!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meat prices seem to go up when the meat is trendy. Perhaps minute steak/cubed steaks/round steak
is currently a trend.

Exhibit: short ribs. I remember when they were the cheapest beef in the case, about the same as soup
bones. But they got trendy, so now they are relatively (for what they are) expensive. Silly.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2019 4:57 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Meat prices seem to go up when the meat is trendy. Perhaps minute steak/cubed steaks/round steak
> is currently a trend.
>
> Exhibit: short ribs. I remember when they were the cheapest beef in the case, about the same as soup
> bones. But they got trendy, so now they are relatively (for what they are) expensive. Silly.
>
> N.

We all know the same thing happened with flank steak. I recall my
mother used to buy it for about 79 cents/lb. Now they are difficult to
find and when you do it's more like $12-15.99/lb. It's a tough cut of
meat which has to be marinated, then grilled or broiled and sliced very
thinly against the grain. When they started using flank in restaurants
for fajitas and Chinese beef and broccoli, the price went waaaay up.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 1:55:46 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I will oblige:
>
> Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.
>
> <https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018937494-What-are-the-ingredients->
>
> The meatiness must come from Soy Leghemoglobin.
>
> I'd rather eat meat.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

If you think that's scary, you should see what the heck meat is made of.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2019 14:40:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 1:55:46 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> I will oblige:
>>
>> Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.
>>
>> <https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018937494-What-are-the-ingredients->
>>
>> The meatiness must come from Soy Leghemoglobin.
>>
>> I'd rather eat meat.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>If you think that's scary, you should see what the heck meat is made of.

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 2:44:04 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> I dunno! Try Szechuan-style Eggplant. Your breath not only stinks for a
> week but you perspire garlic-scented sweat as well.

The Koreans like to use a bunch of Garlic. Seeing my mother-in-law cook was a revelation to me. My wife had the intense smell of a Korean when she lived at home or when she ate lunch with her mom. The smell does indeed come from the skin as well as the breath. My wife would smell like spicy sausage and her breath had a distinct acetone smell. I'd tell her that it smelled like an explosion at a garlic factory. I used to think that my wife smelled alluring but then I found out it was the Kim chee.

I like Chinese garlic eggplant but I think I like the Korean eggplant better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2019 4:57 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Meat prices seem to go up when the meat is trendy. Perhaps minute steak/cubed steaks/round steak
> is currently a trend.
>
> Exhibit: short ribs. I remember when they were the cheapest beef in the case, about the same as soup
> bones. But they got trendy, so now they are relatively (for what they are) expensive. Silly.
>
> N.

Brisket too! I bought on the other day for $3.69. A few years ago it
as $1.19, but has become popular. I saw a flat for $8.49, close to what
good steak sells for.

Growing up in the north, brisket was Jewish holiday food and we never
heard of it from a smoker. In a few years it has become very popular
even with fast food places like Arbys and Wawa stores.

Chicken wings sold for the equivalent of 39 cents a pound many years
ago. not the $2.29 I see now. Supply and demand
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 12:49:38 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/11/2019 4:57 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> > Meat prices seem to go up when the meat is trendy. Perhaps minute steak/cubed steaks/round steak
> > is currently a trend.
> >
> > Exhibit: short ribs. I remember when they were the cheapest beef in the case, about the same as soup
> > bones. But they got trendy, so now they are relatively (for what they are) expensive. Silly.
> >
> > N.
> >

> Brisket too! I bought on the other day for $3.69. A few years ago it
> as $1.19, but has become popular. I saw a flat for $8.49, close to what
> good steak sells for.
>
> Growing up in the north, brisket was Jewish holiday food and we never
> heard of it from a smoker. In a few years it has become very popular
> even with fast food places like Arbys and Wawa stores.
>
> Chicken wings sold for the equivalent of 39 cents a pound many years
> ago. not the $2.29 I see now. Supply and demand

Pork belly is going for relatively cheap - but not for long. I suggest that you buy up as much as you can and learn to prepare it before the price goes sky high! Don't wait till it's too late!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 May 2019 06:47:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I've had actual Chicago pizza dining *in* Chicago.

>>Well, aren't YOU special? lol

> Hey, she's a biddy. She doesn't get around much. She prefers to read
> her book and eat her steamed vegetables. Lightly salted.

*Snicker*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 May 2019 10:57:24 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Just reponding to let her see what you said. Killfile people are
>>> babies that can't deal with reality, imo.
>>>

>>Bruce's comments have very little to do with reality, Gary. It's about
>>time you stopped being his cheerleader. You also very conveniently snip
>>relevent replies.

> He's my biggest critic here.
>
>>I don't get around much? Then what the hell was I doing in Chicago? I
>>had some wonderful calamari while I was there and a pasta dish with
>>mussels and garlic. I like garlic a lot but there is such a thing as
>>too much garlic.

> When people killfile me, I can say anything about them. When I know
> they actually read what I write, I have no choice but to be very
> polite.

Come for dinner, Bruce. I'm having a nice cheese ball with almonds, celery,
perhaps a few crackers and some big Red Globe grapes. We can sit at my new
outdoor table and watch the sun set. I don't need to get out. I've got it
all going on here. *Takes a swig of fresh iced tea and contemplates putting
fresh mint in the next batch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/11/2019 1:25 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 5/11/2019 10:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Ah yes! Wood fiber. Yummy!

>> I suspect it will all boil down to water consumption.
>>
>> Currently, I live in the middle of "beef country", as I've sed b4. Will
>> "veggie burgers" replace real beef. I have zero idea, but it can't hurt!
>> I'm now seeing cube steaks going fer $9.95 per lb. How long can we keep
>> this up? Not long, I'm think'n. This, in the middle of Colorado's beef
>> country?
>>
>> nb
>>

> Cubed round steaks (round steak, in general) has been ridiculously priced
> here for years. I can buy a nicely marbled ribeye, chuckeye or even a NY
> strip steak for less than that per pound. So I do. Nothing is going to
> make me start eating meat substitutes.

That was the case here but I often find them marked down. The only way I
like them is in a chicken fried steak but nobody else here likes those. Too
much effort for just me. So I'll do without. Yeah I know I could freeze them
but lately I have been losing my interest in food. I keep getting free bread
at the outlet so I do things with that or just have some fruit and cheese.
Works for me. At least for now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2019 19:59:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 11 May 2019 10:57:24 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>>Bruce's comments have very little to do with reality, Gary. It's about
>>>time you stopped being his cheerleader. You also very conveniently snip
>>>relevent replies.

>> He's my biggest critic here.
>>
>>>I don't get around much? Then what the hell was I doing in Chicago? I
>>>had some wonderful calamari while I was there and a pasta dish with
>>>mussels and garlic. I like garlic a lot but there is such a thing as
>>>too much garlic.

>> When people killfile me, I can say anything about them. When I know
>> they actually read what I write, I have no choice but to be very
>> polite.

>Come for dinner, Bruce. I'm having a nice cheese ball with almonds, celery,
>perhaps a few crackers and some big Red Globe grapes. We can sit at my new
>outdoor table and watch the sun set. I don't need to get out. I've got it
>all going on here. *Takes a swig of fresh iced tea and contemplates putting
>fresh mint in the next batch.

Sounds very good to me!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 May 2019 19:59:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> He's my biggest critic here.

>>> When people killfile me, I can say anything about them. When I know
>>> they actually read what I write, I have no choice but to be very
>>> polite.

>>Come for dinner, Bruce. I'm having a nice cheese ball with almonds,
>>celery,
>>perhaps a few crackers and some big Red Globe grapes. We can sit at my new
>>outdoor table and watch the sun set. I don't need to get out. I've got it
>>all going on here. *Takes a swig of fresh iced tea and contemplates
>>putting
>>fresh mint in the next batch.

> Sounds very good to me!

It was very good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 2:44:04 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> I dunno! Try Szechuan-style Eggplant. Your breath not only stinks for a
> week but you perspire garlic-scented sweat as well.

The Koreans like to use a bunch of Garlic. Seeing my mother-in-law cook was
a revelation to me. My wife had the intense smell of a Korean when she lived
at home or when she ate lunch with her mom. The smell does indeed come from
the skin as well as the breath. My wife would smell like spicy sausage and
her breath had a distinct acetone smell. I'd tell her that it smelled like
an explosion at a garlic factory. I used to think that my wife smelled
alluring but then I found out it was the Kim chee.

I like Chinese garlic eggplant but I think I like the Korean eggplant
better.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dWllx2WE136dXW

==

LOL well I hope she still smells alluring even without the kim chee <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GM" wrote in message

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I was just mulling at what price point would I stop eating meat
> or eat it only very rarely. Assuming no other change in my
> finances or inflation, I think it might be around $30/pound in
> 2019 dollars.
>
> Then again, I can get eight servings out of a pound (if there's
> no fat or bone to be trimmed away), so that's $3.75 per serving.

Yup, I'd agree with your sentiments here...I just got a Christmas ham (which
was cheap anyways) outta the freezer, that will be good for many, many
meals...I generally use meat as an "adjunct" ingredient nowadays, might eat
a nice steak only several times per year...one small pork sirloin roast I
can get a goodly number meals out of, etc....

As I grow older, my appetite is less (though you wouldn't know it from
looking at me, lol...). I eat a big - gish work lunch, primarily brown
rice/veg/small quantity of meat, some days no meat at all. Breakfast is
small, sometimes I do not even eat at night, not that hungry...

The last time I remember peeps being concerned about the price of meat was
in the early 70's, IIRC inflation was high. Even in our rural area, I
remember my mom and others talking about it, we'd eat cheaper cuts instead
of the more expensive...

Best
Greg

===

I don't hear anyone around here complaining about the price of meat. I
don't eat much either so I don't think about it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 4:57:07 PM UTC-4, Nancy2 wrote:
> Meat prices seem to go up when the meat is trendy. Perhaps minute steak/cubed steaks/round steak
> is currently a trend.
>
> Exhibit: short ribs. I remember when they were the cheapest beef in the case, about the same as soup
> bones. But they got trendy, so now they are relatively (for what they are) expensive. Silly.
>
> N.

Supply and demand. Econ 101.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 5:59:01 A> "GM" wrote in message

> I don't hear anyone around here complaining about the price of meat. I
> don't eat much either so I don't think about it

I grumble every time I buy beef. A few years back, we spend a couple
of years dieting rigorously and I think I bought beef only
once or twice during that period. The next time I bought beef it
had skyrocketed in price and I still can't get my head around the price.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I like Chinese garlic eggplant but I think I like the Korean eggplant better.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dWllx2WE136dXW

Looks nice. What is that black stuff on the left? Something
wrapped in seaweed?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 May 2019 03:50:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 5:59:01 A> "GM" wrote in message
>
>> I don't hear anyone around here complaining about the price of meat. I
>> don't eat much either so I don't think about it

>I grumble every time I buy beef. A few years back, we spend

spent

>a couple
>of years dieting rigorously and I think I bought beef only
>once or twice during that period. The next time I bought beef it
>had skyrocketed in price and I still can't get my head around the price.

What happens when you spend a couple of years dieting rigorously? It
sounds dangerous.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 6:54:26 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 12 May 2019 03:50:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 5:59:01 A> "GM" wrote in message
> >
> >> I don't hear anyone around here complaining about the price of meat. I
> >> don't eat much either so I don't think about it

> >I grumble every time I buy beef. A few years back, we spend

> spent
>
> >a couple
> >of years dieting rigorously and I think I bought beef only
> >once or twice during that period. The next time I bought beef it
> >had skyrocketed in price and I still can't get my head around the price.

> What happens when you spend a couple of years dieting rigorously? It
> sounds dangerous.

Losing 60 pounds in my case, and 160 in my husband's.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 12:53:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I like Chinese garlic eggplant but I think I like the Korean eggplant better.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dWllx2WE136dXW

> Looks nice. What is that black stuff on the left? Something
> wrapped in seaweed?

It's mushrooms. It's dark because I added some dark soy sauce to it.

My wife's dinner tonight was teriyaki chicken, choy sum with an oyster sauce dressing, and a green salad.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...KiU44_9ZCauhH5
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 12:53:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I like Chinese garlic eggplant but I think I like the Korean eggplant
> > better.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dWllx2WE136dXW

> Looks nice. What is that black stuff on the left? Something
> wrapped in seaweed?

It's mushrooms. It's dark because I added some dark soy sauce to it.

My wife's dinner tonight was teriyaki chicken, choy sum with an oyster sauce
dressing, and a green salad.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...KiU44_9ZCauhH5

==

That looks superb!! I would love to have that

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 2:33:09 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 12:53:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > I like Chinese garlic eggplant but I think I like the Korean eggplant
> > > better.
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dWllx2WE136dXW

> > Looks nice. What is that black stuff on the left? Something
> > wrapped in seaweed?

> It's mushrooms. It's dark because I added some dark soy sauce to it.
>
> My wife's dinner tonight was teriyaki chicken, choy sum with an oyster sauce
> dressing, and a green salad.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...KiU44_9ZCauhH5
>
> ==
>
> That looks superb!! I would love to have that

Choy sum is really easy to prepare. You just add to boiling water and cook it for a little over 2 minutes. Remove from boiling water and cool it down in some ice water. You can then stir fry but I didn't even do that. I made a sauce of oyster sauce, water, shoyu, sugar, and sesame oil. I shall be making more choy sum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 2:33:09 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 12:53:21 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > I like Chinese garlic eggplant but I think I like the Korean eggplant
> > > better.
> > >
> > > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...dWllx2WE136dXW

> > Looks nice. What is that black stuff on the left? Something
> > wrapped in seaweed?

> It's mushrooms. It's dark because I added some dark soy sauce to it.
>
> My wife's dinner tonight was teriyaki chicken, choy sum with an oyster
> sauce
> dressing, and a green salad.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...KiU44_9ZCauhH5
>
> ==
>
> That looks superb!! I would love to have that

Choy sum is really easy to prepare. You just add to boiling water and cook
it for a little over 2 minutes. Remove from boiling water and cool it down
in some ice water. You can then stir fry but I didn't even do that. I made a
sauce of oyster sauce, water, shoyu, sugar, and sesame oil. I shall be
making more choy sum.

===

I had to search for Choy sum. I didn't know what it was It looks a
bit like our Pak choy

Thanks I will save that and have a look to see what I can do I have
all those ingredients

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2019 7:14 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 6:54:26 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 May 2019 03:50:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I grumble every time I buy beef. A few years back, we spend

>> spent
>>> a couple
>>> of years dieting rigorously and I think I bought beef only
>>> once or twice during that period. The next time I bought beef it
>>> had skyrocketed in price and I still can't get my head around the price.

>> What happens when you spend a couple of years dieting rigorously? It
>> sounds dangerous.

> Losing 60 pounds in my case, and 160 in my husband's.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'm sure in Cindy's case "dieting rigorously" didn't mean following some
wacky fad diet. She frequently mentions preparing grilled chicken to be
served on or with salad greens. They ate fewer carbs. Less beef but
she didn't say she doesn't eat beef, just that the price was was a surprise.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/11/2019 9:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> The only way I
> like them is in a chicken fried steak but nobody else here likes those.
> Too much effort for just me. So I'll do without.

I jes made two CFS's from an organic top-sirloin I bought at Wally-World
fer about $6.00USD.

I cut it in half and pounded each half with a small plate, dipped it in
bread flour, then egg, then flour again, and pan fried it in a steel
skillet. It was a tad tough but tasted great. I was looking forward to
that "real beef" flavor.

Screw what everyone else likes. Make 'em fer yerself!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, May 12, 2019 at 6:54:26 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > What happens when you spend a couple of years dieting rigorously? It
> > sounds dangerous.

> Losing 60 pounds in my case, and 160 in my husband's.

Good for you both. That's a lot in both cases.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/10/2019 7:46 AM, notbob wrote:
> Has anyone, here, tried the new "Impossible" burger?
>
> I didn't realize the significance of it, thinking it was only the name
> of a new type of meat burger that had become "trendy".Â* Now, I realize
> it is actually a new "veggie" burger outta Silly-Con Valley that
> promises to revolutionize the beef industry.
>
> Izzit true?Â* Anyone?Â*
>
> nb

Here's my latest U2B video on the "Impossible Burger".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng4C2HMH664

Our closest BK is now dead, but I see the writing on the wall. Only
problem is, that $28 dollar price comes down to almost $3.50USD per
burger! Izzat right? Not gonna sell a whole lotta them at that price.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/12/2019 10:07 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 5/11/2019 9:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Â*The only way I like them is in a chicken fried steak but nobody else
>> here likes those. Too much effort for just me. So I'll do without.

> I jes made two CFS's from an organic top-sirloin I bought at Wally-World
> fer about $6.00USD.
>
> I cut it in half and pounded each half with a small plate, dipped it in
> bread flour, then egg, then flour again, and pan fried it in a steel
> skillet.Â* It was a tad tough but tasted great.

IMHO, sirloin (top or bottom) isn't the right cut for CFS. Should be
round steak. Why would you pound it with a plate? Either have the
butcher run it through the meat tenderizer or use a bladed meat mallet
and pound it flat (I do this between two sheets of waxed paper). I use
AP flour, the egg wash, then flour again. Set it aside on waxed paper
to allow the coating to set. Then yes, cooked in my trusty Reverware
stainless skillet.

>Â* I was looking forward to
> Â*that "real beef" flavor.
>
> Screw what everyone else likes.Â* Make 'em fer yerself!Â*
>
> nb

I definitely agree with that, nb! The other people in her household
have access to the kitchen. She should cook what she wants to eat. If
they don't like it they can cook for themselves.

I've actually been thinking about making CFS well before this thread. I
have some cubed round steaks in the freezer that I bought specifically
for making CFS. They weren't cheap, that's for sure.

Jill