Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutrition

Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 10 May 2019 23:07:33 +1000, FMurtz >
> wrote:
>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "FMurtz"Â* wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> These are biscuits to me,
>>> https://tinyurl.com/y6o4wtf3
>>>
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Yes, those are biscuits in UK )

>> and in most of the world like Australia where I live.

> Not in my most of the world before Australia. Nor would the original
> biscuits have been very fancy. Of course words' meanings can change
> over time. I bet there's a country where they call a wedding cake a
> biscuit.

But almost nowhere are they called cookies except USA although you are
contaminating our English with the young who watch American media and
eat imported biscuits or local biscuits named cookies because makers
think they will sell more copying you lot
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 May 2019 14:11:47 +1000, FMurtz >
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 May 2019 23:07:33 +1000, FMurtz >
>> wrote:

>>> and in most of the world like Australia where I live.

>> Not in my most of the world before Australia. Nor would the original
>> biscuits have been very fancy. Of course words' meanings can change
>> over time. I bet there's a country where they call a wedding cake a
>> biscuit.
>>

>But almost nowhere are they called cookies except USA

A biscuit (English meaning) is a type of cookie to me.

>although you are
>contaminating our English with the young who watch American media and
>eat imported biscuits or local biscuits named cookies because makers
>think they will sell more copying you lot

I think you make me more important than I am. And I don't know who
"you lot" is
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 6:04:15 PM UTC-10, FMurtz wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 3:50:32 AM UTC-10, FMurtz wrote:
> >> I thought that it would be self evident that I meant English speaking
> >> world as others don't always use English and would not have the English
> >> cookies or biscuits in their language
> >> They may have different words for different biscuits.
> >> By the way I often bake twice for biscuits that I want crunchy,(same as
> >> chips)(french fries to you)

> > People here like to purposely act like they don't understand so they can harass others. That's goofy as hell. I once read a British car repair manual with a glossary of Brit car part terms to American. It was quite amusing. The "bonnet" is our trunk. "Wing" is a "fender." "Spanner" equals "Wrench."
> >

> Except that wing,fender is a mudguard and your names came second so are
> funny to the English speaking world

I'm not so sure about that - what names for parts of an automobile came first and where it came from. Near as I can figure, the Brits were trying to copy the Wright Flyer Aeroplane. Unfortunately, they made the wings too small and the wheels too big resulting in a contraption that was forever doomed to stay on land. They just decided that they would call their invention the dirt plane but still retained the name "wings" for those things by the wheels because they thought that would be funny as shit. I'm fairly sure that that's the way it all went down back in the old days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 12:11:52 AM UTC-4, FMurtz wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 May 2019 23:07:33 +1000, FMurtz >
> > wrote:

> >> and in most of the world like Australia where I live.

> > Not in my most of the world before Australia. Nor would the original
> > biscuits have been very fancy. Of course words' meanings can change
> > over time. I bet there's a country where they call a wedding cake a
> > biscuit.
> >

> But almost nowhere are they called cookies except USA although you are
> contaminating our English with the young who watch American media and
> eat imported biscuits or local biscuits named cookies because makers
> think they will sell more copying you lot

It's our English now.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

FM, whether or not we US citizens are "contaminating" English is absolutely the choice
made by other English-speaking countries. Nobody forces "you lot" to pick up on and
use our terms. So blame your countrymen. If they didn't want your usual "biscuits" to
be called cookies, manufacturers wouldn't do so.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 9:38:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 7:08:52 AM UTC-10, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > People here like to purposely act like they don't understand so they can
> > harass others. That's goofy as hell. I once read a British car repair
> > manual with a glossary of Brit car part terms to American. It was quite
> > amusing. The "bonnet" is our trunk. "Wing" is a "fender." "Spanner"
> > equals
> > "Wrench."

> I made a mistake. "Bonnet" is actually our "hood." A "boot" is our
> "trunk."
> Beats me what the Brits call a boot i.e., footwear.
>
> ==
>
> Oh I wear boots ... ;p

Strangely enough, I like to wear trunks on my feet.

==

Heh this I need to see ... post it please???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote in message

dsi1, from my reading, Brits refer to rain boots as "Wellies," short for
Wellingtons, which I think
is a brand. I don't know about hiking boots. And trucks are lorries, and
vacuum cleaners are
Hoovers, for Hoover vacuum cleaners (like our use of Kleenex for tissue).
There are lots of
differences in terms....but most make some kind of sense and aren't hard to
suss out ;-))

N.

===

LOL Nancy, the ones we call 'wellies' are rubber boots, similar to this:

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/sp...CABEgJeL_D_BwE

Other boots ie leather et all, we just call boots)) See he

https://www.clarks.co.uk/Womens/Boot...iAAEgL7LPD_BwE

HTH ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote in message

dsi1, from my reading, Brits refer to rain boots as "Wellies," short for
Wellingtons, which I think
is a brand. I don't know about hiking boots. And trucks are lorries, and
vacuum cleaners are
Hoovers, for Hoover vacuum cleaners (like our use of Kleenex for tissue).
There are lots of
differences in terms....but most make some kind of sense and aren't hard to
suss out ;-))

N.

===

Nancy, you are right about all the rest LOL yes, we do often call the
vacuum cleaners 'Hoovers' And yes you are pretty much spot on with the
rest)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 12:11:52 AM UTC-4, FMurtz wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 May 2019 23:07:33 +1000, FMurtz >
> > wrote:

> >> and in most of the world like Australia where I live.

> > Not in my most of the world before Australia. Nor would the original
> > biscuits have been very fancy. Of course words' meanings can change
> > over time. I bet there's a country where they call a wedding cake a
> > biscuit.
> >

> But almost nowhere are they called cookies except USA although you are
> contaminating our English with the young who watch American media and
> eat imported biscuits or local biscuits named cookies because makers
> think they will sell more copying you lot

It's our English now.

Cindy Hamilton

---

LOL Wotchit ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote in message

FM, whether or not we US citizens are "contaminating" English is absolutely
the choice
made by other English-speaking countries. Nobody forces "you lot" to pick
up on and
use our terms. So blame your countrymen. If they didn't want your usual
"biscuits" to
be called cookies, manufacturers wouldn't do so.

N.

===

Nancy, it is not only USians that change the meanings of words, even
various areas in UK change them)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave, that is also what's I thought were galoshes.....I guess whatever one wants to call
whatever is being worn....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy2"Â* wrote in message
>
> dsi1, from my reading, Brits refer to rain boots as "Wellies," short for
> Wellingtons, which I think
> is a brand.Â* I don't know about hiking boots.Â* And trucks are lorries,
> and vacuum cleaners are
> Hoovers, for Hoover vacuum cleaners (like our use of Kleenex for
> tissue). There are lots of
> differences in terms....but most make some kind of sense and aren't hard
> to suss out ;-))
>
> N.
>
> ===
>
> Â*Â* LOL Nancy, the ones we call 'wellies' are rubber boots, similar to
> this:
>
> https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/sp...CABEgJeL_D_BwE
>

> Â* Other boots ie leather et all, we just call boots))Â* See he
>
> https://www.clarks.co.uk/Womens/Boot...iAAEgL7LPD_BwE
>

> Â*HTH ))

Or Durex for condoms
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> itsjoan, I have been "accused" of not recognizing humor, but I think
> it must be the case in dsi1's post.
>
> Maybe he meant the 1860s. Or even 1760s.
>
> N.

More like 1760's.....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 1:19:47 PM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> > itsjoan, I have been "accused" of not recognizing humor, but I
> > think it must be the case in dsi1's post.
> >
> > Maybe he meant the 1860s. Or even 1760s.
> >
> > N.

> I do like to write with tongue-in-cheek but in this case, that's what
> I've read in several different sources. The Col. introduced biscuits
> to the Yankees in the 60's. Before that, biscuits weren't a "thing"
> in the North. To this day, biscuits aren't a thing in the North like
> it is in the South.
>
> I'm not saying that this is true, only that it's what I have read. If
> anyone has information to the contrary this is where they're supposed
> to put their two bits in. I'd appreciate that. What I don't
> appreciate is any nasty personal remarks about my posts or my
> opinions.

Then you missed it in mainland history.

Did people make them in Saint Louis then? No we didnt have a Saint
Louis. Did them make them in San Diego, Seattle, Ankorage etc then?
Of course not. We had not spread to there yet in 1776.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 2:27:00 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 1:19:47 PM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> > > itsjoan, I have been "accused" of not recognizing humor, but I
> > > think it must be the case in dsi1's post.
> > >
> > > Maybe he meant the 1860s. Or even 1760s.
> > >
> > > N.

> > I do like to write with tongue-in-cheek but in this case, that's what
> > I've read in several different sources. The Col. introduced biscuits
> > to the Yankees in the 60's. Before that, biscuits weren't a "thing"
> > in the North. To this day, biscuits aren't a thing in the North like
> > it is in the South.
> >
> > I'm not saying that this is true, only that it's what I have read. If
> > anyone has information to the contrary this is where they're supposed
> > to put their two bits in. I'd appreciate that. What I don't
> > appreciate is any nasty personal remarks about my posts or my
> > opinions.

> Then you missed it in mainland history.
>
> Did people make them in Saint Louis then? No we didnt have a Saint
> Louis. Did them make them in San Diego, Seattle, Ankorage etc then?
> Of course not. We had not spread to there yet in 1776.

I suspect you might have gone a bit daft. Nobody's talking about 1776. Of course they made biscuits back then but they would be like a dry cookie/cracker - not the Southern biscuit of today.

My guess is that the Southern style biscuit, as we know it, didn't come around until after the American civil war, when self-rising flour became available. As far as self-rising flour goes, that stuff has been popular mostly in the South. The yanks have always preferred to add their own leavening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2e-Lxm4Pt4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 4:12:47 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 2:27:00 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > I do like to write with tongue-in-cheek but in this case, that's what
> > > I've read in several different sources. The Col. introduced biscuits
> > > to the Yankees in the 60's. Before that, biscuits weren't a "thing"
> > > in the North. To this day, biscuits aren't a thing in the North like
> > > it is in the South.
> > >
> > > I'm not saying that this is true, only that it's what I have read. If
> > > anyone has information to the contrary this is where they're supposed
> > > to put their two bits in. I'd appreciate that. What I don't
> > > appreciate is any nasty personal remarks about my posts or my
> > > opinions.

> > Then you missed it in mainland history.
> >
> > Did people make them in Saint Louis then? No we didnt have a Saint
> > Louis. Did them make them in San Diego, Seattle, Ankorage etc then?
> > Of course not. We had not spread to there yet in 1776.

> I suspect you might have gone a bit daft. Nobody's talking about 1776. Of course they made biscuits back then but they would be like a dry cookie/cracker - not the Southern biscuit of today.
>
> My guess is that the Southern style biscuit, as we know it, didn't come around until after the American civil war, when self-rising flour became available. As far as self-rising flour goes, that stuff has been popular mostly in the South. The yanks have always preferred to add their own leavening.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2e-Lxm4Pt4

Don't guess. Research.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_(bread)#History>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 2:27:00 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 1:19:47 PM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> > > itsjoan, I have been "accused" of not recognizing humor, but I
> > > think it must be the case in dsi1's post.
> > >
> > > Maybe he meant the 1860s. Or even 1760s.
> > >
> > > N.

> > I do like to write with tongue-in-cheek but in this case, that's what
> > I've read in several different sources. The Col. introduced biscuits
> > to the Yankees in the 60's. Before that, biscuits weren't a "thing"
> > in the North. To this day, biscuits aren't a thing in the North like
> > it is in the South.
> >
> > I'm not saying that this is true, only that it's what I have read. If
> > anyone has information to the contrary this is where they're supposed
> > to put their two bits in. I'd appreciate that. What I don't
> > appreciate is any nasty personal remarks about my posts or my
> > opinions.

> Then you missed it in mainland history.
>
> Did people make them in Saint Louis then? No we didnt have a Saint
> Louis. Did them make them in San Diego, Seattle, Ankorage etc then?
> Of course not. We had not spread to there yet in 1776.

I suspect you might have gone a bit daft. Nobody's talking about 1776. Of
course they made biscuits back then but they would be like a dry
cookie/cracker - not the Southern biscuit of today.

My guess is that the Southern style biscuit, as we know it, didn't come
around until after the American civil war, when self-rising flour became
available. As far as self-rising flour goes, that stuff has been popular
mostly in the South. The yanks have always preferred to add their own
leavening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2e-Lxm4Pt4

---

Interesting. I've never used self rising.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-05-14 4:12 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 2:27:00 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> I do like to write with tongue-in-cheek but in this case, that's
>>> what I've read in several different sources. The Col. introduced
>>> biscuits to the Yankees in the 60's. Before that, biscuits
>>> weren't a "thing" in the North. To this day, biscuits aren't a
>>> thing in the North like it is in the South.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying that this is true, only that it's what I have
>>> read. If anyone has information to the contrary this is where
>>> they're supposed to put their two bits in. I'd appreciate that.
>>> What I don't appreciate is any nasty personal remarks about my
>>> posts or my opinions.

>> Then you missed it in mainland history.
>>
>> Did people make them in Saint Louis then? No we didnt have a
>> Saint Louis. Did them make them in San Diego, Seattle, Ankorage
>> etc then? Of course not. We had not spread to there yet in 1776.

> I suspect you might have gone a bit daft. Nobody's talking about
> 1776. Of course they made biscuits back then but they would be like a
> dry cookie/cracker - not the Southern biscuit of today.
>
> My guess is that the Southern style biscuit, as we know it, didn't
> come around until after the American civil war, when self-rising
> flour became available. As far as self-rising flour goes, that stuff
> has been popular mostly in the South. The yanks have always preferred
> to add their own leavening.

That is a strange guess because they had baking powder. I make biscuits
frequently and I don't think I have ever even had self-rising flour in
the house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 2:27:00 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 1:19:47 PM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> > > itsjoan, I have been "accused" of not recognizing humor, but I
> > > think it must be the case in dsi1's post.
> > >
> > > Maybe he meant the 1860s. Or even 1760s.
> > >
> > > N.

> > I do like to write with tongue-in-cheek but in this case, that's what
> > I've read in several different sources. The Col. introduced biscuits
> > to the Yankees in the 60's. Before that, biscuits weren't a "thing"
> > in the North. To this day, biscuits aren't a thing in the North like
> > it is in the South.
> >
> > I'm not saying that this is true, only that it's what I have read. If
> > anyone has information to the contrary this is where they're supposed
> > to put their two bits in. I'd appreciate that. What I don't
> > appreciate is any nasty personal remarks about my posts or my
> > opinions.

> Then you missed it in mainland history.
>
> Did people make them in Saint Louis then? No we didnt have a Saint
> Louis. Did them make them in San Diego, Seattle, Ankorage etc then?
> Of course not. We had not spread to there yet in 1776.

I suspect you might have gone a bit daft. Nobody's talking about 1776. Of
course they made biscuits back then but they would be like a dry
cookie/cracker - not the Southern biscuit of today.

My guess is that the Southern style biscuit, as we know it, didn't come
around until after the American civil war, when self-rising flour became
available. As far as self-rising flour goes, that stuff has been popular
mostly in the South. The yanks have always preferred to add their own
leavening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2e-Lxm4Pt4

===

Interesting stuff Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 4:12:47 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 2:27:00 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > I do like to write with tongue-in-cheek but in this case, that's what
> > > I've read in several different sources. The Col. introduced biscuits
> > > to the Yankees in the 60's. Before that, biscuits weren't a "thing"
> > > in the North. To this day, biscuits aren't a thing in the North like
> > > it is in the South.
> > >
> > > I'm not saying that this is true, only that it's what I have read. If
> > > anyone has information to the contrary this is where they're supposed
> > > to put their two bits in. I'd appreciate that. What I don't
> > > appreciate is any nasty personal remarks about my posts or my
> > > opinions.

> > Then you missed it in mainland history.
> >
> > Did people make them in Saint Louis then? No we didnt have a Saint
> > Louis. Did them make them in San Diego, Seattle, Ankorage etc then?
> > Of course not. We had not spread to there yet in 1776.

> I suspect you might have gone a bit daft. Nobody's talking about 1776. Of
> course they made biscuits back then but they would be like a dry
> cookie/cracker - not the Southern biscuit of today.
>
> My guess is that the Southern style biscuit, as we know it, didn't come
> around until after the American civil war, when self-rising flour became
> available. As far as self-rising flour goes, that stuff has been popular
> mostly in the South. The yanks have always preferred to add their own
> leavening.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2e-Lxm4Pt4

Don't guess. Research.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_(bread)#History>

Cindy Hamilton

==

Elizabeth David is one my favourite cooks and I have a several of her
books)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 1:00:17 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> Interesting. I've never used self rising.

Me nether. I've never even heard of the stuff until around 20 years ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 12:11:35 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 4:12:47 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Then you missed it in mainland history.
> > >
> > > Did people make them in Saint Louis then? No we didnt have a Saint
> > > Louis. Did them make them in San Diego, Seattle, Ankorage etc then?
> > > Of course not. We had not spread to there yet in 1776.

> > I suspect you might have gone a bit daft. Nobody's talking about 1776. Of course they made biscuits back then but they would be like a dry cookie/cracker - not the Southern biscuit of today.
> >
> > My guess is that the Southern style biscuit, as we know it, didn't come around until after the American civil war, when self-rising flour became available. As far as self-rising flour goes, that stuff has been popular mostly in the South. The yanks have always preferred to add their own leavening.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2e-Lxm4Pt4

> Don't guess. Research.
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_(bread)#History>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Your link sucks. It doesn't shed light on the question of when the Southern biscuit came about. My guess is that the Southern biscuit didn't come around until after the civil war.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 1:06:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 12:11:35 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > Don't guess. Research.
> >
> > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_(bread)#History>
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Your link sucks. It doesn't shed light on the question of when the Southern biscuit came about. My guess is that the Southern biscuit didn't come around until after the civil war.

Here's the stuff from that page:

The biscuit emerged as a distinct food type in the early 19th century,
before the American Civil War. Cooks created a cheaply produced
addition for their meals that required no yeast, which was expensive
and difficult to store. With no leavening agents except the bitter-
tasting pearlash available, beaten biscuits were laboriously beaten and
folded to incorporate air into the dough which expanded when heated in
the oven causing the biscuit to rise.

Baking powder was invented in 1843. Arm & Hammer baking soda came
out in 1846.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 7:37:39 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 1:06:36 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 12:11:35 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > > Don't guess. Research.
> > >
> > > <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit_(bread)#History>
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Your link sucks. It doesn't shed light on the question of when the Southern biscuit came about. My guess is that the Southern biscuit didn't come around until after the civil war.

> Here's the stuff from that page:
>
> The biscuit emerged as a distinct food type in the early 19th century,
> before the American Civil War. Cooks created a cheaply produced
> addition for their meals that required no yeast, which was expensive
> and difficult to store. With no leavening agents except the bitter-
> tasting pearlash available, beaten biscuits were laboriously beaten and
> folded to incorporate air into the dough which expanded when heated in
> the oven causing the biscuit to rise.
>
> Baking powder was invented in 1843. Arm & Hammer baking soda came
> out in 1846.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

So your conclusion is that the Southern biscuit came about before the civil war? Why not come out and just say it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 1:59:31 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 7:37:39 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Your link sucks. It doesn't shed light on the question of when the Southern biscuit came about. My guess is that the Southern biscuit didn't come around until after the civil war.

> > Here's the stuff from that page:
> >
> > The biscuit emerged as a distinct food type in the early 19th century,
> > before the American Civil War. Cooks created a cheaply produced
> > addition for their meals that required no yeast, which was expensive
> > and difficult to store. With no leavening agents except the bitter-
> > tasting pearlash available, beaten biscuits were laboriously beaten and
> > folded to incorporate air into the dough which expanded when heated in
> > the oven causing the biscuit to rise.
> >
> > Baking powder was invented in 1843. Arm & Hammer baking soda came
> > out in 1846.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> So your conclusion is that the Southern biscuit came about before the civil war? Why not come out and just say it?

Because I hope that you will view the data and draw your own conclusions.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 8:26:20 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 1:59:31 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> > > Here's the stuff from that page:
> > >
> > > The biscuit emerged as a distinct food type in the early 19th century,
> > > before the American Civil War. Cooks created a cheaply produced
> > > addition for their meals that required no yeast, which was expensive
> > > and difficult to store. With no leavening agents except the bitter-
> > > tasting pearlash available, beaten biscuits were laboriously beaten and
> > > folded to incorporate air into the dough which expanded when heated in
> > > the oven causing the biscuit to rise.
> > >
> > > Baking powder was invented in 1843. Arm & Hammer baking soda came
> > > out in 1846.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > So your conclusion is that the Southern biscuit came about before the civil war? Why not come out and just say it?

> Because I hope that you will view the data and draw your own conclusions.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I already gave my conclusion i.e., "guess." Do you have a conclusion i.e., "guess?" Did you do your research? My guesses are always based on research. My guess is that my guesses are more substantial than your guesses.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 2:27:00 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > I do like to write with tongue-in-cheek but in this case, that's
> > > what I've read in several different sources. The Col. introduced
> > > biscuits to the Yankees in the 60's. Before that, biscuits
> > > weren't a "thing" in the North. To this day, biscuits aren't a
> > > thing in the North like it is in the South.
> > >
> > > I'm not saying that this is true, only that it's what I have
> > > read. If anyone has information to the contrary this is where
> > > they're supposed to put their two bits in. I'd appreciate that.
> > > What I don't appreciate is any nasty personal remarks about my
> > > posts or my opinions.

> > Then you missed it in mainland history.
> >
> > Did people make them in Saint Louis then? No we didnt have a Saint
> > Louis. Did them make them in San Diego, Seattle, Ankorage etc then?
> > Of course not. We had not spread to there yet in 1776.

> I suspect you might have gone a bit daft. Nobody's talking about
> 1776. Of course they made biscuits back then but they would be like a
> dry cookie/cracker - not the Southern biscuit of today.
>
> My guess is that the Southern style biscuit, as we know it, didn't
> come around until after the American civil war, when self-rising
> flour became available. As far as self-rising flour goes, that stuff
> has been popular mostly in the South. The yanks have always preferred
> to add their own leavening.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2e-Lxm4Pt4

Read the recipes. Self rising flour was just premix of baking soda to
make it faster. They did it long before that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 3:42:09 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Read the recipes. Self rising flour was just premix of baking soda to
> make it faster. They did it long before that.

Once again you have blown it. You could have provided a link to illustrate your claim but you did nothing. I would expect nothing less - or more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 2:27:00 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote:

> > > I do like to write with tongue-in-cheek but in this case, that's what
> > > I've read in several different sources. The Col. introduced biscuits
> > > to the Yankees in the 60's. Before that, biscuits weren't a "thing"
> > > in the North. To this day, biscuits aren't a thing in the North like
> > > it is in the South.
> > >
> > > I'm not saying that this is true, only that it's what I have read. If
> > > anyone has information to the contrary this is where they're supposed
> > > to put their two bits in. I'd appreciate that. What I don't
> > > appreciate is any nasty personal remarks about my posts or my
> > > opinions.

> > Then you missed it in mainland history.
> >
> > Did people make them in Saint Louis then? No we didnt have a Saint
> > Louis. Did them make them in San Diego, Seattle, Ankorage etc then?
> > Of course not. We had not spread to there yet in 1776.

> I suspect you might have gone a bit daft. Nobody's talking about 1776. Of course they made biscuits back then but they would be like a dry cookie/cracker - not the Southern biscuit of today.
>
> My guess is that the Southern style biscuit, as we know it, didn't come around until after the American civil war, when self-rising flour became available. As far as self-rising flour goes, that stuff has been popular mostly in the South. The yanks have always preferred to add their own leavening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2e-Lxm4Pt4

WHAT DO YOU CALL TWO CHINESE IN A TRANS AM?

THE GOOKS OF HAZZARD .

Nutrition. Z General Cooking 0 11-03-2007 07:26 PM
patented formulas in the USA ,control diabetes,healthy heart, arhtritis, woman nutrition, sport nutrition..... [email protected] Diabetic 0 22-01-2006 09:07 PM
Dr.Ali's Nutrition Bible-Bestselling Nutrition book at the moment-30% off list UK price kiff Marketplace 0 03-03-2004 02:30 PM