Marge

Default shipping homemade baked goods

I wanted to send my dad, who lives on the west coast of the US, some
baked goods for the holiday. I'm thinking sweet breads (as in pumpkin
bread) and cookies. Any good tips on wrapping, packaging to keep them
whole and fresh?

Barbtail

Marge writes:

>I wanted to send my dad, who lives on the west coast of the US, some
>baked goods for the holiday. I'm thinking sweet breads (as in pumpkin
>bread) and cookies. Any good tips on wrapping, packaging to keep them
>whole and fresh?

Breads travel well. Bar cookies travel well. If the cookies are sturdy, those
new fancy ziplock bags and plastic containers are good for packing and
sending goodies. I also save the styrofoam peanuts from various mail order
purchases I make during the year to protect my goodies. If you have an air
popper, you could use stale plain popcorn to pack with.

Sometimes I use cupcake papers and candy cups to cradle cookies and provide
some cushion between stacks and layers. Basically, though, it's all about
what you decide to bake and send- avoid obviously delicate cookies and stick
with breads, hearty cookies, bar cookies, etc. If he has a favorite cookie
you just gotta send, use the cupcake wrappers. The mail order people
*Currents* have some cute goodie wrapping stuff (they don't seem to have a
website). Most kitchen supply stores sell specialty candy and cupcake wrappers
as well.

Have fun!

Barb
Puester

Marge wrote:

> I wanted to send my dad, who lives on the west coast of the US, some
> baked goods for the holiday. I'm thinking sweet breads (as in pumpkin
> bread) and cookies. Any good tips on wrapping, packaging to keep them
> whole and fresh?

Wrap the loaves in plastic wrap and then foil unless
you have one of those vacuum sealers. Place in a sturdy box
and cushion with bubble wrap, foam peanuts, or crumpled
newspaper.

Most important: ship Priority, second or third day delivery
at the slowest. POst Office, UPS, or other delivery service
is OK as long as they guarantee quick delivery. Oh, and
SHIP EARLY.

gloria p
Vox Humana

"Marge" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I wanted to send my dad, who lives on the west coast of the US, some
> baked goods for the holiday. I'm thinking sweet breads (as in pumpkin
> bread) and cookies. Any good tips on wrapping, packaging to keep them
> whole and fresh?

I like to use disposable foil pans to bake quick bread for shipping. You
can just leave them in the pan and wrap well after they are cool. Cookies
ship well in rigid container such as the disposable Gladware pieces. It
helps if you separate the layers with wax paper and put a wad of plastic
film in the top to keep them from moving. I put all the containers in
another box and use popcorn (the kind you eat) to fill the box so nothing
can move.

You can often find a selection of disposable foil container and lids a party
supply stores.

Vox Humana

"Marge" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I wanted to send my dad, who lives on the west coast of the US, some
> baked goods for the holiday. I'm thinking sweet breads (as in pumpkin
> bread) and cookies. Any good tips on wrapping, packaging to keep them
> whole and fresh?

I like to use disposable foil pans to bake quick bread for shipping. You
can just leave them in the pan and wrap well after they are cool. Cookies
ship well in rigid container such as the disposable Gladware pieces. It
helps if you separate the layers with wax paper and put a wad of plastic
film in the top to keep them from moving. I put all the containers in
another box and use popcorn (the kind you eat) to fill the box so nothing
can move.

You can often find a selection of disposable foil container and lids a party
supply stores.

Wayne Boatwright

"Marge" > wrote in news:1100907337.662451.134030
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I wanted to send my dad, who lives on the west coast of the US, some
> baked goods for the holiday. I'm thinking sweet breads (as in pumpkin
> bread) and cookies. Any good tips on wrapping, packaging to keep them
> whole and fresh?

For most things, wrap first in plastic wrap, then foil. Before plastic
peanuts, my mom used to pop corn and use it for packing. She even mailed
pecan pies this way.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Marge

good tips, thank you. I was thinking to use the plastic wrap then
foil. I've shipped cookies in the plastic tupperware before, usually
cookies like biscotti. I never heard of using edible popcorn,
interesting idea. Yeah, I'm going to make a list of what I want to
bake and get it ready this weekend to ship.

Vox Humana

"Marge" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> good tips, thank you. I was thinking to use the plastic wrap then
> foil. I've shipped cookies in the plastic tupperware before, usually
> cookies like biscotti. I never heard of using edible popcorn,
> interesting idea. Yeah, I'm going to make a list of what I want to
> bake and get it ready this weekend to ship.

The edible popcorn is more environmentally friendly than plastic peanuts or
bubble wrap. You can feed it to the birds.

Vox Humana

"texpat" > wrote in message
> Last Christmas, I shipped my son-in-law 5 lbs. of fudge. I packed the
> container in lots of bacon rinds, for my low-carb nazi daughter. Worked,

and
> both were happy.

Sort of reminds me of that old nursery rhyme:

Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean,
And so betwixt the two of them
They licked the platter clean

Vox Humana

"texpat" > wrote in message
> Last Christmas, I shipped my son-in-law 5 lbs. of fudge. I packed the
> container in lots of bacon rinds, for my low-carb nazi daughter. Worked,

and
> both were happy.

Sort of reminds me of that old nursery rhyme:

Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean,
And so betwixt the two of them
They licked the platter clean

Vox Humana

"texpat" > wrote in message
> Last Christmas, I shipped my son-in-law 5 lbs. of fudge. I packed the
> container in lots of bacon rinds, for my low-carb nazi daughter. Worked,

and
> both were happy.

Sort of reminds me of that old nursery rhyme:

Jack Sprat could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean,
And so betwixt the two of them
They licked the platter clean

Baked goods: Calculating your cost [email protected] General Cooking 27 12-03-2016 07:59 PM
Smoking baked goods ginandtonix Baking 0 09-01-2012 01:43 AM
preserving baked goods Forbeo Preserving 7 03-09-2007 10:09 AM
California Business Law (Selling Baked Goods) [email protected] Baking 2 14-02-2007 07:09 PM
Extra money for your baked goods . . . Treetop flyer Baking 2 03-04-2006 04:21 AM