Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stew without potatoes?

"jay" > wrote in message ...
> On 4/19/19 10:33 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't
>> use a recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always
>> used potatoes.
>>
>> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
>> them two days in a row.I am also going to be using up some canned goods.
>> I have a can of corn, green beans, peas and kidney beans.
>>
>> I used to use a lot of canned vegetables but these days we all seem to
>> prefer fresh ones. We're okay with the beans and corn but even with
>> beans, I tend to cook a batch of dried at least once a week. I will keep
>> a few cans of the other stuff but I'd like to use some up. I will also
>> add carrots, celery, onions and perhaps some form of tomato. I don't
>> always put tomato in my stew. Seasonings will be salt, pepper, a bay leaf
>> and parsley.
>>
>> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and don't
>> want a lot of leftover stew.
>>
>> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
>> could always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a
>> few Russets.

> Since you are not using a recipe, whatever you put in the pot is the dish.
> Don't put in any potatoes. You may want to thicken it since the potatoes
> as you know won't be helping with that aspect. Nothing wrong with beef and
> veg soup is you care not to thicken it.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-21 12:06 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> I doubt it. She thrives on the attention. She would rather be insulted
>> than ignored.

> She's in my KF. You're not, at present but you may go back in it.

Yeah, like I care. A couple years ago you said that I was in you kill
file but you kept replying directly to my posts. Really bright.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 20:59:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>> That's also vital for pot roast.
>>>
>>> I cook both stew and pot roast in the oven.

>> We have stew a lot more often that pot roasts, but both are done in the
>> oven at 300. There is too much risk of boiling the stew on a burner, and
>> that ruins them.

With an oven set at 300ºF it'll be boiled to death... should set your
oven at 200ºF or slightly lower for a slow simmer. The small top
burner on my stove at its lowest setting won't boil water. Naturally
the larger the pot the more heat that's needed to maintain a proper
simmer. When I cook stews and soups in a 10 quart pot or larger I use
a medium burner at a low setting.

>I always do them on the stove.

Me too, it's much easier to cook the various ingredients to proper
doneness on a top burner... and HTF does one brown the meat in a
covered pot in an oven... and that's what I despised about crock pots
(need to use a regular pot on the stove top for browning, then may as
well continue) plus the heat is not incrementally adjustable... with
only the two settings it's either too high or too low. Cooking with a
crock pot is the same as saying paint by numbers is art. Crock pots
are for those who haven't a clue about cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 11:02:30 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 20:59:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

> >> We have stew a lot more often that pot roasts, but both are done in the
> >> oven at 300. There is too much risk of boiling the stew on a burner, and
> >> that ruins them.

> With an oven set at 300ºF it'll be boiled to death... should set your
> oven at 200ºF or slightly lower for a slow simmer. The small top
> burner on my stove at its lowest setting won't boil water. Naturally
> the larger the pot the more heat that's needed to maintain a proper
> simmer. When I cook stews and soups in a 10 quart pot or larger I use
> a medium burner at a low setting.
>
> >I always do them on the stove.

> Me too, it's much easier to cook the various ingredients to proper
> doneness on a top burner... and HTF does one brown the meat in a
> covered pot in an oven...

One browns the meat on the stovetop before putting the pot in the oven.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 21:06:38 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 07:20:30 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>>Evidence suggests I'm still in her killfile. I sometimes reply to her
>>>posts for my own amusement, and to interact with other posters in the
>>>thread.

>> Since she still talks to Dave, her most frequent heckler, I doubt she
>> has you killfiled.

>I do!

Oh, ok.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 10:08:12 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-04-20 8:59 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 4/20/2019 8:42 AM, Gary wrote:

>>> What you don't eat can be saved in pint
>>> containers in your FREEZER. Lasts for at least 6 months. That's
>>> what freezers are for. Just quit loading up your freezer with ice
>>> cream and popsicles, etc.
>>>

>> I don't know what she's got in her freezer but she'll likely say there
>> isn't any room or she doesn't have [zero in on *pint*] containers or
>> some such thing.
>>

>Goodness only knows why anyone would bother to consider replying to her
>questions.

This message was brought to you by the biggest contributor to Julie's
threads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 17:17:41 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 4:47:21 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Follow your own advice. If all you're capable of is name calling don't
>> answer.
>>

>I don't ask advice of should I or shouldn't I add potatoes to a stew. If all
>you're capable of is defending the attention whore you should leave your partner
>and head straight to her house. Then both of you can get much deserved lobotomies.

You're rude. I don't tell you to move in with Sqwerz.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-04-21 12:06 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> I doubt it. She thrives on the attention. She would rather be insulted
>>> than ignored.

>> She's in my KF. You're not, at present but you may go back in it.

> Yeah, like I care. A couple years ago you said that I was in you kill file
> but you kept replying directly to my posts. Really bright.

You were in there but then I took you out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019, Julie Bove wrote:

> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't use a
> recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always used
> potatoes.
>
> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat them
> two days in a row.I am also going to be using up some canned goods. I have a
> can of corn, green beans, peas and kidney beans.
>
> I used to use a lot of canned vegetables but these days we all seem to prefer
> fresh ones. We're okay with the beans and corn but even with beans, I tend to
> cook a batch of dried at least once a week. I will keep a few cans of the
> other stuff but I'd like to use some up. I will also add carrots, celery,
> onions and perhaps some form of tomato. I don't always put tomato in my stew.
> Seasonings will be salt, pepper, a bay leaf and parsley.
>
> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and don't want
> a lot of leftover stew.
>
> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I could
> always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a few
> Russets.

Make it without potatoes, but serve it with something carby, like rice or
noodles or dumplings or toast. It will be fine without potatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
hcrg.pbz...

> On Fri, 19 Apr 2019, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I got some stew meat and am going to use it for stew tomorrow. I don't
>> use a recipe. Just throw whatever veggies I have in there but I've always
>> used potatoes.
>>
>> I am going to be making potatoes on Easter so I'm not sure I want to eat
>> them two days in a row.I am also going to be using up some canned goods.
>> I have a can of corn, green beans, peas and kidney beans.
>>
>> I used to use a lot of canned vegetables but these days we all seem to
>> prefer fresh ones. We're okay with the beans and corn but even with
>> beans, I tend to cook a batch of dried at least once a week. I will keep
>> a few cans of the other stuff but I'd like to use some up. I will also
>> add carrots, celery, onions and perhaps some form of tomato. I don't
>> always put tomato in my stew. Seasonings will be salt, pepper, a bay leaf
>> and parsley.
>>
>> I don't want a huge pot of it as I'm cooking a lot for Easter and don't
>> want a lot of leftover stew.
>>
>> So my question is... Do you think this will work without the potato? I
>> could always put a small amount in such as one Russet. I think I have a
>> few Russets.

> Make it without potatoes, but serve it with something carby, like rice or
> noodles or dumplings or toast. It will be fine without potatoes.

It already will have plenty of carbs, but thanks!