Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I've got a late night cook planned! 8PM last Cuppa Plus!

4# beans soaking since noon!

And my bacon is thawed!!

Commence to COOKING MY OWN BAKED BEANS that NEVER SAW AN OVEN!

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Used To Buy And EAT A LOT Of Bush's Baked Beans Until I Figured Like With My Chocolate Covered Cherries That *I* Could Do Much Better!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 8:11:14 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> 4# beans soaking since noon!
>
> And my bacon is thawed!!
>
> Commence to COOKING MY OWN BAKED BEANS that NEVER SAW AN OVEN!
>
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Used To Buy And EAT A LOT Of Bush's Baked Beans Until I Figured Like With My Chocolate Covered Cherries That *I* Could Do Much Better!

Cook finished at 10:30PM! :-)

Now for dessert! A banana, an avocado, small amount of vanilla ice cream, cashews, Hershey's syrup drizzle and YUM!

Avocado was refrigerated, now room temp 3mins power level 1 in Microwave!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 10:38:25 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 8:11:14 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> > 4# beans soaking since noon!
> >
> > And my bacon is thawed!!
> >
> > Commence to COOKING MY OWN BAKED BEANS that NEVER SAW AN OVEN!
> >
> > John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Used To Buy And EAT A LOT Of Bush's Baked Beans Until I Figured Like With My Chocolate Covered Cherries That *I* Could Do Much Better!

> Cook finished at 10:30PM! :-)
>
> Now for dessert! A banana, an avocado, small amount of vanilla ice cream, cashews, Hershey's syrup drizzle and YUM!
>
> Avocado was refrigerated, now room temp 3mins power level 1 in Microwave!
>
> John Kuthe...

WAS truly delicious! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 9:11:14 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> 4# beans soaking since noon!
>
> And my bacon is thawed!!
>
> Commence to COOKING MY OWN BAKED BEANS that NEVER SAW AN OVEN!

What difference does the oven make?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> John Kuthe wrote:
> > 4# beans soaking since noon!
> >
> > And my bacon is thawed!!
> >
> > Commence to COOKING MY OWN BAKED BEANS that NEVER SAW AN OVEN!

> What difference does the oven make?

Shouldn't call them baked beans if they never "saw" an oven.

I just make my 'baked beans' using:
- One 28oz can of generic "Pork and Beans"
- 1/2 green bell pepper (blackened over burner) then chopped
- one large yellow onion chopped
- small amount of mustard powder (maybe a tsp or less)
(a healthy squirt of yellow mustard works too)
- a TBS or two of light brown sugar
- cracked pepper from my mill on this one

I'll warm it all up a bit just to help it blend a bit plus so I
can eat it warmed. Only warmed because I don't want to actually
cook the onions. I like the raw sharpness&crunch that they
provide. It's a pretty good mix.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary, your doctored beans look pretty much like mine...except I don't put in green pepper,
and do add a couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce. Try it, you will like it. ;-))
My mom sometimes put it a T. or two of sweet pickle relish.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 5:39:03 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 9:11:14 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> > 4# beans soaking since noon!
> >
> > And my bacon is thawed!!
> >
> > Commence to COOKING MY OWN BAKED BEANS that NEVER SAW AN OVEN!

> What difference does the oven make?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

"Baked" normally implies being in a HOT oven. DUH!! Except of course on 4/20 which has come to mean "other" things! ;-)

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Beans Are In The Freezer/Refrigerator!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 7:07:41 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > John Kuthe wrote:
> > > 4# beans soaking since noon!
> > >
> > > And my bacon is thawed!!
> > >
> > > Commence to COOKING MY OWN BAKED BEANS that NEVER SAW AN OVEN!

> > What difference does the oven make?

> Shouldn't call them baked beans if they never "saw" an oven.
>
> I just make my 'baked beans' using:
> - One 28oz can of generic "Pork and Beans"

THAT'S where you lost me! I use DRIED BEANS, and yes I soak them, then chop up 4 large red onions, a garlic or two if they are small, then fry up 6 or more strips of BACON, precook the onions/garlic, drain/rinse beans and refill with clean boil water, then boil for "some time" until good and El Dente, then add a 12 (16?)oz can of tomato paste, 5 beef bouillon cubes, 1/3cup brown sugar, 1/5ish cup cayenne, sweet paprika, some molasses, black ground pepper, some dried bay leaves, the onions/garlic then crumble up the bacon into it too, stir well and cook a "little more" then cover and cool!

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and OMG Yum Cooker!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 9:07:02 AM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 5:39:03 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 9:11:14 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> > > 4# beans soaking since noon!
> > >
> > > And my bacon is thawed!!
> > >
> > > Commence to COOKING MY OWN BAKED BEANS that NEVER SAW AN OVEN!

> > What difference does the oven make?
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> "Baked" normally implies being in a HOT oven. DUH!! Except of course on 4/20 which has come to mean "other" things! ;-)

I get that. So your beans aren't baked beans. They're just beans.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Gary, your doctored beans look pretty much like mine...except I don't put in green pepper,
> and do add a couple splashes of Worcestershire sauce. Try it, you will like it.

I do love that sauce but never thought to add it. Great
suggestion. I'll be making another batch this morning and I will
use it. Thanks!

BTW, if you do like cooked green bell pepper, try adding that
yourself sometime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I just make my 'baked beans' using:
> > - One 28oz can of generic "Pork and Beans"

> THAT'S where you lost me! I use DRIED BEANS, and yes I soak them, then chop up 4 large red onions, a garlic or two if they are small, then fry up 6 or more strips of BACON, precook the onions/garlic, drain/rinse beans and refill with clean boil water, then boil for "some time" until good and El Dente, then add a 12 (16?)oz can of tomato paste, 5 beef bouillon cubes, 1/3cup brown sugar, 1/5ish cup cayenne, sweet paprika, some molasses, black ground pepper, some dried bay leaves, the onions/garlic then crumble up the bacon into it too, stir well and cook a "little more" then cover and cool!

Thanks for your recipe, John-boy.
However, I disagree with your cooking beans "until good and El
Dente"
I assume you meant "Al dente" which is wrong for beans, imo.
That's where you lost ME. I'll cook dried beans until done and
soft but before getting mushy but al dente beans is not good here
in my home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/20/2019 11:44 AM, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>>> I just make my 'baked beans' using:
>>> - One 28oz can of generic "Pork and Beans"

>> THAT'S where you lost me! I use DRIED BEANS, and yes I soak them, then chop up 4 large red onions, a garlic or two if they are small, then fry up 6 or more strips of BACON, precook the onions/garlic, drain/rinse beans and refill with clean boil water, then boil for "some time" until good and El Dente, then add a 12 (16?)oz can of tomato paste, 5 beef bouillon cubes, 1/3cup brown sugar, 1/5ish cup cayenne, sweet paprika, some molasses, black ground pepper, some dried bay leaves, the onions/garlic then crumble up the bacon into it too, stir well and cook a "little more" then cover and cool!

> Thanks for your recipe, John-boy.
> However, I disagree with your cooking beans "until good and El
> Dente"
> I assume you meant "Al dente" which is wrong for beans, imo.
> That's where you lost ME. I'll cook dried beans until done and
> soft but before getting mushy but al dente beans is not good here
> in my home.

He's pretending he understands what "al dente" means. It definitely
doesn't apply to beans, whether they're made from soaked dried beans or
canned beans. Just proves how little he understands basic cooking terms.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 11:44:38 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > I just make my 'baked beans' using:
> > > - One 28oz can of generic "Pork and Beans"

> > THAT'S where you lost me! I use DRIED BEANS, and yes I soak them, then chop up 4 large red onions, a garlic or two if they are small, then fry up 6 or more strips of BACON, precook the onions/garlic, drain/rinse beans and refill with clean boil water, then boil for "some time" until good and El Dente, then add a 12 (16?)oz can of tomato paste, 5 beef bouillon cubes, 1/3cup brown sugar, 1/5ish cup cayenne, sweet paprika, some molasses, black ground pepper, some dried bay leaves, the onions/garlic then crumble up the bacon into it too, stir well and cook a "little more" then cover and cool!

> Thanks for your recipe, John-boy.
> However, I disagree with your cooking beans "until good and El
> Dente"
> I assume you meant "Al dente" which is wrong for beans, imo.
> That's where you lost ME. I'll cook dried beans until done and
> soft but before getting mushy but al dente beans is not good here
> in my home.

I prefer beans al dente. To each their own.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 11:59:13 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/20/2019 11:44 AM, Gary wrote:
> > John Kuthe wrote:

> >> THAT'S where you lost me! I use DRIED BEANS, and yes I soak them, then chop up 4 large red onions, a garlic or two if they are small, then fry up 6 or more strips of BACON, precook the onions/garlic, drain/rinse beans and refill with clean boil water, then boil for "some time" until good and El Dente, then add a 12 (16?)oz can of tomato paste, 5 beef bouillon cubes, 1/3cup brown sugar, 1/5ish cup cayenne, sweet paprika, some molasses, black ground pepper, some dried bay leaves, the onions/garlic then crumble up the bacon into it too, stir well and cook a "little more" then cover and cool!

> > Thanks for your recipe, John-boy.
> > However, I disagree with your cooking beans "until good and El
> > Dente"
> > I assume you meant "Al dente" which is wrong for beans, imo.
> > That's where you lost ME. I'll cook dried beans until done and
> > soft but before getting mushy but al dente beans is not good here
> > in my home.
> >

> He's pretending he understands what "al dente" means. It definitely
> doesn't apply to beans, whether they're made from soaked dried beans or
> canned beans. Just proves how little he understands basic cooking terms.
>
> Jill

Doesn't it? It means "to the tooth". Beans can be cooked so that they
present a little resistance to the bite. Why not call them "al dente"?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 10:44:38 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > I just make my 'baked beans' using:
> > > - One 28oz can of generic "Pork and Beans"

> > THAT'S where you lost me! I use DRIED BEANS, and yes I soak them, then chop up 4 large red onions, a garlic or two if they are small, then fry up 6 or more strips of BACON, precook the onions/garlic, drain/rinse beans and refill with clean boil water, then boil for "some time" until good and El Dente, then add a 12 (16?)oz can of tomato paste, 5 beef bouillon cubes, 1/3cup brown sugar, 1/5ish cup cayenne, sweet paprika, some molasses, black ground pepper, some dried bay leaves, the onions/garlic then crumble up the bacon into it too, stir well and cook a "little more" then cover and cool!

> Thanks for your recipe, John-boy.
> However, I disagree with your cooking beans "until good and El
> Dente"
> I assume you meant "Al dente" which is wrong for beans, imo.
> That's where you lost ME. I'll cook dried beans until done and
> soft but before getting mushy but al dente beans is not good here
> in my home.

You can HAVE all the mushy beans you want!! Refry them, and sell them!

And Al Dente means "has tooth" or a 'bite' to them! Not crunchy bite, but a "not 100%
rigid" bite!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 11:59:13 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/20/2019 11:44 AM, Gary wrote:
> > John Kuthe wrote:

> >> THAT'S where you lost me! I use DRIED BEANS, and yes I soak them, then
> >> chop up 4 large red onions, a garlic or two if they are small, then fry
> >> up 6 or more strips of BACON, precook the onions/garlic, drain/rinse
> >> beans and refill with clean boil water, then boil for "some time" until
> >> good and El Dente, then add a 12 (16?)oz can of tomato paste, 5 beef
> >> bouillon cubes, 1/3cup brown sugar, 1/5ish cup cayenne, sweet paprika,
> >> some molasses, black ground pepper, some dried bay leaves, the
> >> onions/garlic then crumble up the bacon into it too, stir well and cook
> >> a "little more" then cover and cool!

> > Thanks for your recipe, John-boy.
> > However, I disagree with your cooking beans "until good and El
> > Dente"
> > I assume you meant "Al dente" which is wrong for beans, imo.
> > That's where you lost ME. I'll cook dried beans until done and
> > soft but before getting mushy but al dente beans is not good here
> > in my home.
> >

> He's pretending he understands what "al dente" means. It definitely
> doesn't apply to beans, whether they're made from soaked dried beans or
> canned beans. Just proves how little he understands basic cooking terms.
>
> Jill

Doesn't it? It means "to the tooth". Beans can be cooked so that they
present a little resistance to the bite. Why not call them "al dente"?

Cindy Hamilton

==

That is exactly what 'al dente' means!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 08:07:11 -0400, Gary wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>>> 4# beans soaking since noon!
>>>
>>> And my bacon is thawed!!
>>>
>>> Commence to COOKING MY OWN BAKED BEANS that NEVER SAW AN OVEN!

>> What difference does the oven make?

> Shouldn't call them baked beans if they never "saw" an oven.

None of the cans in stores ever saw an oven.

> I'll warm it all up a bit just to help it blend a bit plus so I
> can eat it warmed. Only warmed because I don't want to actually
> cook the onions. I like the raw sharpness&crunch that they
> provide. It's a pretty good mix.

So you just microwave them?

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> None of the cans in stores ever saw an oven.
>
> > I'll warm it all up a bit just to help it blend a bit plus so I
> > can eat it warmed. Only warmed because I don't want to actually
> > cook the onions. I like the raw sharpness&crunch that they
> > provide. It's a pretty good mix.

> So you just microwave them?

I warm them on the stovetop in a saucepan since that's what I use
to blend. Good enough just for a 28oz can plus additions. If I
make a double batch, I'll often put them in a shallow pyrex
baking dish (11X7) and bake the mess for 30-40 minutes. That
dehydrates it and thickens nicely. After that, I will still add
at least a half chopped onion (raw) for the crunch factor.

I made a small batch of homemade applesauce yesterday and I did
microwave them until cooked and soft. 3 apples, peeled and cored,
then microwaved in a covered bowl for about 5 minutes. After
cooked until soft, I mashed them to chunky, added just a pinch of
salt and then some (TBS or more) of brown sugar. Turned out very
well. 3 apples didn't make much....3-4 small servings. Once
ready, I cooled it all back off...I don't like warm applesauce.
Just like Gramma used to make.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 21, 2019 at 3:45:41 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 08:07:11 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> What difference does the oven make?

> > Shouldn't call them baked beans if they never "saw" an oven.

> None of the cans in stores ever saw an oven.

Those cans of Beans are COOKED IN THEIR CANS!! The can IS their oven!

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Cook Extraordinaire!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Sqwertz wrote:

> None of the cans in stores ever saw an oven.
>
> > I'll warm it all up a bit just to help it blend a bit plus so I
> > can eat it warmed. Only warmed because I don't want to actually
> > cook the onions. I like the raw sharpness&crunch that they
> > provide. It's a pretty good mix.

> So you just microwave them?

I warm them on the stovetop in a saucepan since that's what I use
to blend. Good enough just for a 28oz can plus additions. If I
make a double batch, I'll often put them in a shallow pyrex
baking dish (11X7) and bake the mess for 30-40 minutes. That
dehydrates it and thickens nicely. After that, I will still add
at least a half chopped onion (raw) for the crunch factor.

I made a small batch of homemade applesauce yesterday and I did
microwave them until cooked and soft. 3 apples, peeled and cored,
then microwaved in a covered bowl for about 5 minutes. After
cooked until soft, I mashed them to chunky, added just a pinch of
salt and then some (TBS or more) of brown sugar. Turned out very
well. 3 apples didn't make much....3-4 small servings. Once
ready, I cooled it all back off...I don't like warm applesauce.
Just like Gramma used to make.

==

And those lovely memories always make things taste better: