Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vernors Ginger Ale

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors

I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.

I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
emulate Canada Dry.

I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
soda.

Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
foods in Florida and why some brands are here.

Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
former Michigan residents
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 3:06:27 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
> I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
> saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
> I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
> though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
> emulate Canada Dry.

That's kind of a surprise. People who weren't raised in Michigan rarely
like Vernor's.

> I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
> soda.

Yes, it does. I had many a Vernor's float as a kid.

> Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
> foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>
> Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
> Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
> after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
> Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
> are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
> very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
> former Michigan residents

Did they mention that Vernor's started in Detroit (which has a road called
Vernor.) Vernor's had a nifty Mid-Century Modern bottling plant.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-19 3:06 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
> I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following.Â* I
> saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
> I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent.Â* I find it sweet
> though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
> emulate Canada Dry.

There was lots of Vernors gingerale here when I was a kid. I can't
remember seeing it in years.... many years. It has a nice flavour, but
it was way too sweet. I find the same thing with Dr.Pepper. It's good,
but way too sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
> I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
> saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
> I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
> though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
> emulate Canada Dry.
>
> I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
> soda.
>
> Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
> foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>
> Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
> Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
> after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
> Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
> are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
> very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
> former Michigan residents

Back in the 80's it was sorta a "cult" item (like Coors beer was in the 70's), it was rarely available in Chicagoland, my Michigan - born Chicago friends would go to SW Michigan for a Vernor's "run" from time to time to acquire...now I see it around here in Chicagoland...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 15:06:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
>I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
>saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
>I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
>though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
>emulate Canada Dry.
>
>I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
>soda.
>
>Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
>foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>
>Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
>Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
>after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
>Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
>are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
>very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
>former Michigan residents

Isn't it just a sugar based science project drink for obese children?
As an adult, I'd only drink soda pop like that that if I wanted to
develop diabetes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 12:17:25 -0700 (PDT), GM
> wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>>
>> I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
>> saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>>
>> I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
>> though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
>> emulate Canada Dry.
>>
>> I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
>> soda.
>>
>> Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
>> foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>>
>> Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
>> Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
>> after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
>> Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
>> are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
>> very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
>> former Michigan residents

>Back in the 80's it was sorta a "cult" item (like Coors beer was in the 70's), it was rarely available in Chicagoland, my Michigan - born Chicago friends would go to SW Michigan for a Vernor's "run" from time to time to acquire...now I see it around here in Chicagoland...

One starts to understand why you have such an obesity and diabetes
crisis. Much ado about sugary soda pop!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2019 3:22 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 12:17:25 -0700 (PDT), GM
> > wrote:
>
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>>>
>>> I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
>>> saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>>>
>>> I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
>>> though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
>>> emulate Canada Dry.
>>>
>>> I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
>>> soda.
>>>
>>> Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
>>> foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>>>
>>> Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
>>> Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
>>> after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
>>> Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
>>> are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
>>> very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
>>> former Michigan residents

>> Back in the 80's it was sorta a "cult" item (like Coors beer was in the 70's), it was rarely available in Chicagoland, my Michigan - born Chicago friends would go to SW Michigan for a Vernor's "run" from time to time to acquire...now I see it around here in Chicagoland...

> One starts to understand why you have such an obesity and diabetes
> crisis. Much ado about sugary soda pop!

Yes, it is all too common for an everyday beverage. I bought it for the
Easter ham. My wife has made ham with a gingerale baste as that is what
her mother did. I don't see any real difference, but I see no reason to
tell her to do different.

I'll have an occasional soda when eating a quick lunch out, but I see
people loading up cases of it in the shopping carts. You can buy a 32
oz. at the mini-marts and such too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 15:06:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
>I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
>saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
>I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
>though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
>emulate Canada Dry.
>
>I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
>soda.

That combo is what we called a "Boston Cooler" when I was growing up.

>Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
>foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>
>Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
>Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
>after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
>Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
>are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
>very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
>former Michigan residents

It surely loomed large in Detroit culture. Great straight up, with a
scoop of ice cream, warmed, and with a slice of lemon for a
cold.....fond memories. At one point when I was in college, I lived
around the block from the Vernors bottling plant.

It was great stuff back then. I have not had it in years, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
> I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
> saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
> I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
> though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
> emulate Canada Dry.
>
> I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
> soda.
>
> Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
> foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>
> Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
> Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
> after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
> Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
> are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
> very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
> former Michigan residents

it was what we always thought of as Ginger Ale
(born and raised in MI and have lived here most of
my life). the Canada Dry stuff is ok, but as you
noted not as sweet.

i will drink it once in a great while but since
i'm off soda it is too sweet for me. cutting it
half and half with sparkly water may be ok and i'll
try that as a mixer sometime if i'm out and about
and it is being swerved.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 9:06:27 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
> I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
> saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
> I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
> though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
> emulate Canada Dry.
>
> I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
> soda.
>
> Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
> foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>
> Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
> Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
> after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
> Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
> are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
> very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
> former Michigan residents

We've been buying a lot of ginger ales - brands that aren't to well known. Some of them will knock your socks off - if you're into that kind of thing. The trend is to call these drinks "ginger beer." I suppose that's appropriate.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-g...ktails-4184254

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-19 7:09 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

> We've been buying a lot of ginger ales - brands that aren't to well
> known. Some of them will knock your socks off - if you're into that
> kind of thing. The trend is to call these drinks "ginger beer." I
> suppose that's appropriate.

There is a huge difference between gingerale and ginger beer.
Gingerale is pretty mild tasting while ginger beer usually packs a lot
of sharp bite of ginger.

I have always loved ginger beer but most people don't like it. Most
grocery stores don't bother to carry it, and those that so are often out
of stock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 19, 2019 at 2:00:35 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-04-19 7:09 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > We've been buying a lot of ginger ales - brands that aren't to well
> > known. Some of them will knock your socks off - if you're into that
> > kind of thing. The trend is to call these drinks "ginger beer." I
> > suppose that's appropriate.

> There is a huge difference between gingerale and ginger beer.
> Gingerale is pretty mild tasting while ginger beer usually packs a lot
> of sharp bite of ginger.
>
> I have always loved ginger beer but most people don't like it. Most
> grocery stores don't bother to carry it, and those that so are often out
> of stock.

I just tried a Ginger Beet Gut Shot. It tasted like salty cabbage juice.

https://www.farmhouseculture.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
> I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I saw
> it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
> I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
> though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
> emulate Canada Dry.
>
> I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
> soda.
>
> Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
> foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>
> Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the Dr.
> Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even after
> expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan, Ohio, and
> Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities are Detroit,
> Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also very popular in
> Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated former Michigan
> residents

I bought some years ago. Didn't care for it but don't remember why. I
usually buy Canada Dry. I also like Schweppes and Shasta but I haven't seen
any around here in some time. Not the diet kind anyway./

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 15:06:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>>
>>I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
>>saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>>
>>I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
>>though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
>>emulate Canada Dry.
>>
>>I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
>>soda.
>>
>>Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
>>foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>>
>>Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
>>Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
>>after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
>>Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
>>are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
>>very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
>>former Michigan residents

> Isn't it just a sugar based science project drink for obese children?
> As an adult, I'd only drink soda pop like that that if I wanted to
> develop diabetes.

I have only ever had diet soda with a few exceptions as a kid. Such as being
at a party where only regular was available or I think A and W rootbeer. I
never liked regular soda. Too sweet for me and makes me thirsty. I only ever
took a few sips to be polite. Most of the time if I could, I would dump out
whatever drink was foisted off onto me, then rinse out and refill my
can/bottle/cup with water.

Angela was and still is the same as me. When she gets coffee, she takes it
with a diet flavoring or sweetener and non-fat or low fat milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 15:06:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
>I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
>saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
>I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
>though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
>emulate Canada Dry.
>
>I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
>soda.
>
>Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
>foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>
>Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
>Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
>after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
>Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
>are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
>very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
>former Michigan residents

Ed I saw you post and I was so enamored that I went and bought some
ginger ale, you may say no big deal, but it has been years since I
have had soda.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/19/2019 3:22 PM, Bruce wrote:
> One starts to understand why you have such an obesity and diabetes
> crisis. Much ado about sugary soda pop!

Does your down under pussy ever stop bleeding, all day sucker?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 15:06:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
> I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
> saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
> I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
> though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
> emulate Canada Dry.

It's gotten much weaker since 1995 or so. I'm always searching out
the strongest ginger ale/drinks, and nothing does "it" for me any
more. Seagrams/canada dry was never good to me - no real ginger
either. The last strong one I had was Kings Jamaican Ginger ale
sold at health food stores in 2001 or so. It was a BA brand from a
restaurant. I took to making my own ginger drink. I grate and steep
about 2.5 pounds of ginger and 2TB of cracked allspice for 1 gallon
of drink. Then strain and add usually I add some lemon. Which makes
a concentrate to which I add sugar and water on demand. You can't
OD on ginger but I don't notice any particular health affects.

> Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
> Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area.

I was buying a can every morning in San Jose CA in 1992-1993 at a
mom & pop liquor store. But I don't even consider it any more.

I'm not sure I would call it a vanilla flavor, but there wqs
something about the effervescence the way it tickled the nose/back
of throat - or something. I can taste it perfectly right now even
though I'm drinking a can of Clubtails Sex on the Beach.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernors
>
> I've heard about it and the brand seems to have a strong following. I
> saw it yesterday at Publix so I bought a bottle.
>
> I like the flavor as it has a strong vanilla accent. I find it sweet
> though as I'm used to the pale dry ginger ale most companies make to
> emulate Canada Dry.
>
> I will try it with vanilla ice cream and is should make a good ice cream
> soda.
>
> Reading the Wikipedia articles it mentions my previous observation about
> foods in Florida and why some brands are here.
>
> Vernors was not mass distributed nationally until the 2000s, when the
> Dr. Pepper Snapple Group expanded the brand to a 33-state area. Even
> after expansion, Michigan accounts for 80% of Vernors sales. Michigan,
> Ohio, and Illinois are the highest-selling states, and primary cities
> are Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Toledo, and Cincinnati. It is also
> very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated
> former Michigan residents

Vernors has been around for many years, and not just in the north.

It's too sweet for my taste, but the same goes for all of them. You
can't commonly find any of the old time stong ginger ales like buffalo
rock anymore. People want drinks with lots of sugar or HFCS.

I guess stores only stock really sweet drinks these days.