Old 17-04-2019, 11:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Folding pizza miakes it easier to hold"

This video is called "Folding pizza miakes it easier to hold"

https://youtu.be/D5qw-Opjk1k

Why does it refer to Gauss? Surely it's just old fashioned school geometry?

Old 17-04-2019, 02:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/17/2019 4:53 AM, Pamela wrote:
This video is called "Folding pizza miakes it easier to hold"

https://youtu.be/D5qw-Opjk1k

Why does it refer to Gauss? Surely it's just old fashioned school geometry?

Why are you so stupid?

I never heard of "Gauss" until after I'd already taken "geometry" in
school. It was in a Heathkit color tv kit my step-father built that had
a manual de-Gauss-ing coil, built in. Later, "de-Gaussing" coils were
built into computer monitors and activated by simply turning on the pwr.

If you have to ask why pizza requires a "negative-curvature", you need
to stop eating NY pizzas. No folding of a banana is required.

nb
Old 17-04-2019, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/17/2019 2:18 PM, notbob wrote:
On 4/17/2019 4:53 AM, Pamela wrote:
This video is called "Folding pizza miakes it easier to hold"

https://youtu.be/D5qw-Opjk1k

Why does it refer to Gauss? Surely it's just old fashioned school
geometry?

Why are you so stupid?

I never heard of "Gauss" until after I'd already taken "geometry" in
school. It was in a Heathkit color tv kit my step-father built that had
a manual de-Gauss-ing coil, built in. Later, "de-Gaussing" coils were
built into computer monitors and activated by simply turning on the pwr.

I built one of those TVs! I don't see the connection with pizza, though...

Old 17-04-2019, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/17/2019 8:45 AM, S Viemeister wrote:

I built one of those TVs! I don't see the connection with pizza, though...

Never built one of those tv's, but then I've never hadda fold a piece of
pizza, either.

Apparently, PBS and Youtube are getting desperate fer content.

nb

Old 17-04-2019, 04:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Speaking of folding pizza: we lived in Miami in the late 40s, where my mom learned how to
make pizza from a cook in a small local restaurant. She was taught to make thin-crust pizza, and
to cut it in wedges and then fold it over on itself, in half, in order to eat it properly. Following our
move back to Iowa in 1953, she prepared a birthday party for me...I think it was 1955...where
she made pizza for me and my friends...the first time they had ever heard of, or had, pizza.
I have made it a number of times from her recipe, which is nothing special or unique, and
it has never had the same taste I remember hers had. It is probably nostalgia, and my memory
is faulty. ;-))

N.

Old 17-04-2019, 06:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14:18 17 Apr 2019, notbob wrote:

On 4/17/2019 4:53 AM, Pamela wrote:
This video is called "Folding pizza miakes it easier to hold"

https://youtu.be/D5qw-Opjk1k

Why does it refer to Gauss? Surely it's just old fashioned school
geometry?

Why are you so stupid?

I never heard of "Gauss" until after I'd already taken "geometry" in
school. It was in a Heathkit color tv kit my step-father built that had
a manual de-Gauss-ing coil, built in. Later, "de-Gaussing" coils were
built into computer monitors and activated by simply turning on the pwr.

Isn't that to do with the inability of an electrical field to penetrate a
conducting container? Gauss's Law?

If you have to ask why pizza requires a "negative-curvature", you need
to stop eating NY pizzas. No folding of a banana is required.

nb

That pizza video refers to geometry within the folds of Gaussian space but it
seems far too fancy to explain why the side bits of a folded pizza hold the
middle bit in place.

Maybe it's somebody's idea of a joke using junk science.
Old 17-04-2019, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 18:14:08 +0100, Pamela
wrote:

On 14:18 17 Apr 2019, notbob wrote:

On 4/17/2019 4:53 AM, Pamela wrote:
This video is called "Folding pizza miakes it easier to hold"

That pizza video refers to geometry within the folds of Gaussian space but it
seems far too fancy to explain why the side bits of a folded pizza hold the
middle bit in place.

Maybe it's somebody's idea of a joke using junk science.

In other news it has been discovered that folding a boob makes it
easier to hold especially when the actual breast is and F cup or
larger, however it decreases the visual stimulation and physical
pleasure. So in conclusion folding boobs is stupid.... Same goes for
pizza....

Unless you were able to fold space time and have a pizza whenever you
wanted. Assuming it is gluten free of course.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Old 17-04-2019, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pamela" wrote in message
This video is called "Folding pizza miakes it easier to hold"

https://youtu.be/D5qw-Opjk1k

Why does it refer to Gauss? Surely it's just old fashioned school
geometry?

No clue. Never heard of Gauss. NY pizza is foldable because the crust is
thin and soft and the slices are huge!

Old 18-04-2019, 12:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 12:36:43 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
"Pamela" wrote in message
This video is called "Folding pizza miakes it easier to hold"

https://youtu.be/D5qw-Opjk1k

Why does it refer to Gauss? Surely it's just old fashioned school
geometry?

No clue. Never heard of Gauss. NY pizza is foldable because the crust is
thin and soft and the slices are huge!

As an Asian person, I would feel like a complete poser if I folded my pizza like a genuine Brooklynite. When faced with a large slice of thin crust pizza, I have to use two hands to stabilize that big bad baby. Once I get the front end down to a manageable size, I can switch to a one-handed technique. Up until that point, it's pretty much touch and go.

Gauss sounds pretty much like a red herring. Everybody knows that you can stiffen a sheet of material in the transverse direction by folding it.
Old 18-04-2019, 12:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pamela" wrote in message
This video is called "Folding pizza miakes it easier to hold"

https://youtu.be/D5qw-Opjk1k

Why does it refer to Gauss? Surely it's just old fashioned school
geometry?

No clue. Never heard of Gauss. NY pizza is foldable because the crust is
thin and soft and the slices are huge!

As an Asian person

Do you ever do something as a non-Asian person? That would be a hoot.
Try walking through your street as a non-Asian person. Everybody will
be so confused!

Old 18-04-2019, 12:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote in message
Speaking of folding pizza: we lived in Miami in the late 40s, where my
mom learned how to
make pizza from a cook in a small local restaurant. She was taught to
make thin-crust pizza, and
to cut it in wedges and then fold it over on itself, in half, in order to
eat it properly. Following our
move back to Iowa in 1953, she prepared a birthday party for me...I think
it was 1955...where
she made pizza for me and my friends...the first time they had ever heard
of, or had, pizza.
I have made it a number of times from her recipe, which is nothing special
or unique, and
it has never had the same taste I remember hers had. It is probably
nostalgia, and my memory
is faulty. ;-))

N.

If you live in a different area, that could be why. My ex had relatives who
worked for a bakery that made pizza among other things. His cousin was asked
to move to Cape Cod and create such a pizza for a certain place. She did go
there and try. She said there was no way to get that pizza to come out
right. She said she wasn't sure if it was the air or the water or what. It
just wouldn't work.

I tried ordering pizza a few times there. One place made a barely passable
pizza but the other was so soggy as to be vile and inedible.

I also tried making pizza at home. The crust was the biggest problem. It
just wouldn't come out right no matter what I did. I spoke to a neighbor who
was Italian and she said she had given up on making pizza because the dough
just would work right.

After many dismal attempts, I finally came up with something edible. I used
frozen roll dough and made mini pizzas. If I had to give those a rating with
a possible best rating of five stars, I would give those a 3.5. Not sure
what it was about the roll dough as no other kind of dough seemed to work
even for mini pizzas. I only made those when we drove to PA. They kept well
in a bag in the vehicle and we could eat them and not have to bother
stopping for a meal.

Most of my bread baking while I lived there was quick breads or biscuit type
things. No problem with those. But there was something not right with the
yeast breads. I got far too much rise out of them. I made cinnamon rolls
twice. Not only did I wind up with twice as many rolls as I should have, but
the rolls were over twice the size they should be.

Then there was the Crock-Pot bread! I was home alone because my ex was
overseas. I didn't need a lot of bread because I was feeding just me. I was
going to make a pot of soup and wanted bread to go with it. I had been given
a Crock-Pot as a gift. I didn't have much experience with it yet but had
ordered and received all of the extras listed at the back of the instruction
manual, including a meat rack (not necessary IMO), cookbook and bread pan.
The bread pan was round with a flat bottom. Just slightly smaller than the
crock. The lid had ventilation slits and it was gold in color.

I started my soup, then put the bread dough in to bake. Went to the spare
bedroom where my computer was. After a time, I could smell the bread baking.
The timer had not yet gone off, but I entered the kitchen to a mess. The
bread had pushed itself far up out of the pan. It had pushed not only the
gold lid up but the glass lid to the crock. The glass lid was easily removed
and cleaned but the gold lid had baked itself into the bread and with all of
those slits, was almost impossible to clean as they were all full of baked
on bread.

The loaf wound up going sideways in every direction. I don't recall it
touching the metal sides of the pot or if it did, it was easily cleaned off.
Time frame here was over 20 years ago so some details might escape me now.
It did branch out sideways though. I remember pulling off huge, flat chunks
to eat. I did eat it for a couple of days and more than once a day before I
finally reached the part of the loaf as it was intended to be.

I asked the person who gave me the Crock-Pot about this but she didn't have
such a pan and new nothing about it.

I did try using the pan again once we got to CA. Once for bread and once for
a chocolate cake. Both times it worked like it should have but the cake
wasn't very good tasting and the loaf of bread was too small for us then
because there were three of us plus whatever neighborhood children might be
eating with us that night. Most nights I fed at least two other kids because
their parents were working or some such thing.

Old 18-04-2019, 06:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pamela" wrote in message
This video is called "Folding pizza miakes it easier to hold"

https://youtu.be/D5qw-Opjk1k

Why does it refer to Gauss? Surely it's just old fashioned school
geometry?

No clue. Never heard of Gauss. NY pizza is foldable because the crust is
thin and soft and the slices are huge!

As an Asian person, I would feel like a complete poser if I folded my pizza
like a genuine Brooklynite. When faced with a large slice of thin crust
pizza, I have to use two hands to stabilize that big bad baby. Once I get
the front end down to a manageable size, I can switch to a one-handed
technique. Up until that point, it's pretty much touch and go.

Gauss sounds pretty much like a red herring. Everybody knows that you can
stiffen a sheet of material in the transverse direction by folding it.

---

I just use a knife and fork.

Old 18-04-2019, 06:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pamela" wrote in message
[...]

Me too, unless I'm in an Asian mood. Then I use chopsticks.
Old 18-04-2019, 08:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pamela" wrote in message
[...]

Aww. You so racist.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/f...-advertisement
Old 18-04-2019, 09:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"dsi1" wrote in message
[...]

Lol, everything's racist these days.