Old 14-04-2019, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Columnist Amy Alkon on "cultural appropriation" and shaming innocent restaurateurs

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs are some sort of cultural criminals if they don't do some deep study of the culture and get the food 'right.'"

"Is anybody picketing Taco Bell - or do they only care about a couple daring to try to earn $ w/a new eatery in Manhattan?"

Some good comments too - there are only a few so far.

Lenona.

Old 14-04-2019, 07:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 11:17:28 AM UTC-7, wrote:
http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs are some sort of cultural criminals if they don't do some deep study of the culture and get the food 'right.'"

"Is anybody picketing Taco Bell - or do they only care about a couple daring to try to earn $ w/a new eatery in Manhattan?"

Some good comments too - there are only a few so far.

Lenona.

everything is taken to extremes these days.

Old 14-04-2019, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 2:17:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs

Btw (I didn't know this either, until today), there is NO "n" in "restaurateur."

A tricky thing, language. Even logical ones like French.

Lenona.
Old 14-04-2019, 09:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/14/2019 2:01 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 2:17:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs

Btw (I didn't know this either, until today), there is NO "n" in "restaurateur."

A tricky thing, language. Even logical ones like French.

Lenona.

* Ecoutez et repete apres moi : Je ne comprends pas . Vive la France !
I'm surprised I remember any 50 years after high school . I was told
once that most of French cuisine was an attempt to disguise the taste of
spoiled meat ... one of the few areas of cooking I have little interest
in . French , that is , not spoiled meat . Those accusations of cultural
appropriation are just another attempt/way to subjugate the people . My
fried rice last night came out just great , and I have absolutely no
trace of an epicanthic fold . I don't speak Spanish either , and I make
a really mean fajita .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 14-04-2019, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 8:17:28 AM UTC-10, wrote:
http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs are some sort of cultural criminals if they don't do some deep study of the culture and get the food 'right.'"

"Is anybody picketing Taco Bell - or do they only care about a couple daring to try to earn $ w/a new eatery in Manhattan?"

Some good comments too - there are only a few so far.

Lenona.

I don't have any problem with cultural appropriation as long as it's done with respect. I don't agree with CA if it's meant to make a fast buck. OTOH, I can understand the rational for wanting to make a fast buck.

As far as food goes, getting a dish right requires some understanding of the culture, foods, and customs, of the country involved. I was really gratified when my wife said that my kim chee and eggplant was just like her mom used to make.

Old 14-04-2019, 09:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/14/2019 2:17 PM, wrote:

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs are some sort of cultural criminals if they don't do some deep study of the culture and get the food 'right.'"

"Is anybody picketing Taco Bell - or do they only care about a couple daring to try to earn $ w/a new eatery in Manhattan?"

Some good comments too - there are only a few so far.

Lenona.

We hear of this every week. Clothing, hair styles, food, everything is
being criticized for it these days.

Seems like finding fault and being critical of others is the latest sport.
Old 14-04-2019, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 16:57:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/14/2019 2:17 PM, wrote:

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs are some sort of cultural criminals if they don't do some deep study of the culture and get the food 'right.'"

"Is anybody picketing Taco Bell - or do they only care about a couple daring to try to earn $ w/a new eatery in Manhattan?"

Some good comments too - there are only a few so far.

Lenona.

We hear of this every week. Clothing, hair styles, food, everything is
being criticized for it these days.

Seems like finding fault and being critical of others is the latest sport.

Complaining about cultural appropriation is snowflake behaviour. As if
I'd be offended if someone walked around on clogs, with a joint in the
corner of their mouth, a dyke coloured index finger and saying that
they're Dutch.
Old 14-04-2019, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:57:50 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/14/2019 2:17 PM, wrote:

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs are some sort of cultural criminals if they don't do some deep study of the culture and get the food 'right.'"

"Is anybody picketing Taco Bell - or do they only care about a couple daring to try to earn $ w/a new eatery in Manhattan?"

Some good comments too - there are only a few so far.

Lenona.

We hear of this every week. Clothing, hair styles, food, everything is
being criticized for it these days.

Seems like finding fault and being critical of others is the latest sport..

Mostly, "cultural appropriation" is some kind of white, middle-class, guilt-trip, shaming-tactic. The rest of the colored world has no problem with integrating other cultures with their own. The biggest appropriation there ever was is probably the world's appropriation of American black hip-hop culture. It has literally changed world culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aknkofx2bHg
Old 14-04-2019, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/14/2019 2:17 PM, wrote:

[...]

But it's always non-whites who accuse people of cultural
appropriation.
Old 14-04-2019, 10:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/14/2019 2:17 PM, wrote:

[...]

My guess is that it's being done by hyphen Americans who don't know much about the culture of their motherlands themselves.

Old 14-04-2019, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
On 4/14/2019 2:01 PM, wrote:
[...]

I was told a couple of years ago by another white woman on a Facebook group
that I should stay out of the Indian Supermarket because I am not Indian.
Apparently it's okay for her to go there because her husband is Indian. This
comment came after I said that I didn't really like the spices used in
Indian food. Like you, I have no Latino blood in me but I love eating and
cooking their foods.

Same woman attempted to start a big fight over the persecution of "brown"
people in this city. At the time, I did not know what that term meant.I did
ask.Instead of getting an answer, I was accused of being a persecutor. The
term is more commonly used now but I still don't know what sort of people it
applies to. I don't sort people out by skin color.

Old 14-04-2019, 11:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 4/14/2019 2:17 PM, wrote:

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs are some sort of cultural
criminals if they don't do some deep study of the culture and get the
food 'right.'"

"Is anybody picketing Taco Bell - or do they only care about a couple
daring to try to earn $ w/a new eatery in Manhattan?"

Some good comments too - there are only a few so far.

Lenona.

We hear of this every week. Clothing, hair styles, food, everything is
being criticized for it these days.

Seems like finding fault and being critical of others is the latest sport.

I see that all the time on Facebook. People mocking and laughing at others
and acting like they are superior. It's usually younger people doing it.

Old 14-04-2019, 11:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/14/2019 2:17 PM, wrote:

[...]

Agree! I heard a woman going on a rant, telling others that her people were
the first Native Americans and stated which well known tribe she belonged
to. She had no clue about the Clovis people and now scientists say there
were people here that predated them.

https://www.thoughtco.com/pre-histor...mericas-170390

Old 14-04-2019, 11:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 12:01:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 2:17:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
http://www.advicegoddess.com/archive....html#comments

Quote, from Alkon:

"I love the new 'woke' idea that restauranteurs

Btw (I didn't know this either, until today), there is NO "n" in "restaurateur."

Both variants are valid