Old 14-04-2019, 04:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default how to tenderize inside round for chicken fried steak

i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out. i used to pound out my neighbour all the time, so i must have the hang of it. poor guy.

Old 14-04-2019, 04:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 08:41:12 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
wrote:

i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out. i used to pound out my neighbour all the time, so i must have the hang of it. poor guy.

fresh pineapple juice

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Old 15-04-2019, 02:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.

There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.
Old 15-04-2019, 04:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 18:32:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.

There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

I won't buy cube steak anymore. The last batch was so darn tough I
made up my mind to buy the steak I wanted for chicken fried steak or a
sandwich.
Janet US
Old 15-04-2019, 05:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

I won't buy cube steak anymore. The last batch was so darn tough I
made up my mind to buy the steak I wanted for chicken fried steak or a
sandwich.
Janet US

Sometimes when I buy a package of cubed steak there's always one in the bunch
that is like shoe leather. Needless to say, you don't find this out until
the package is cooked.

Old 15-04-2019, 01:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

When I did my own shopping, for chicken-fried steak, or minute steak, I would choose a piece
of bottom round...packaged or not...and ask the butcher to run it through their tenderizer
(machine) first one direction, and then the other. That process always made it super tender.
Of course, it was a good piece of round to begin with.

N.
Old 15-04-2019, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 7:56:06 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

When I did my own shopping, for chicken-fried steak, or minute steak, I would choose a piece
of bottom round...packaged or not...and ask the butcher to run it through their tenderizer
(machine) first one direction, and then the other. That process always made it super tender.
Of course, it was a good piece of round to begin with.

N.

I used to see bottom round in the grocery all the time. But I honestly cannot
remember the last time I've seen one at Kroger or any other store.
Old 16-04-2019, 12:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 9:32:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.

There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.
Old 16-04-2019, 02:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 9:32:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.

There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

Using cheap and tough beef, better to just grind it (or ask to
have it ground). Then turn it into a large flat patty, either for
a burger, salisbury steak or for this fried beef with white gravy
travesty. Talk about TIAD, imo. I've tried it 3 times (different
places) and each time I felt sorry for the cow that got killed
just to make that nonsense.

Valley Girl: "OMG! EWWWW! Gag-O! "

Not all country cooking is good. Grits are a great way to ruin
good corn too. As always, just my worthless opinion plus I like
to joke around here sometimes.
Old 16-04-2019, 02:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 04:48:30 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
wrote:

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 9:32:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.

There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

Cube steak is not pounded, the cubing machine doesn't pound, it slices
many small slits. For very little money you can purchase your own
home-style cuber, called a Jaquard. Pounding meat toughens it by
rupturing the muscle cells which releases the meat's moisture,
resulting in dry tough meat. It's far better to slice your steak thin
longitudinally, i.e. cutlets... quite easy to do; with the palm of the
hand with fingers raised press the meat to a cutting board and with a
*sharp* chefs knife slice the meat through with a slight sawing
motion. With a little practice you'll be able to slice a steak into
several 1/8" cutlets... the trick is to keep the blade's cutting edge
ever so slightly tilted downward... begin with a thick piece of meat
to relieve the fear of cutting yourself. I've been using the
technique all my life and have never cut myself... works very well
with skinless boneless chicken breasts... you definately don't want to
pound them unless you like tough titty.

Old 16-04-2019, 05:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 Gary wrote:
A Moose in Love wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019 itsjoan wrote:
On Sunday, April 14, 2019A Moose in Love wrote:

i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.

There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

Using cheap and tough beef, better to just grind it (or ask to
have it ground). Then turn it into a large flat patty, either for
a burger, salisbury steak or for this fried beef with white gravy
travesty.

Two nights ago a 16 egg omelot for dinner, w/ spuds, bell peppers,
asparagus:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/
This week top round roasts were on sale but they only had smallish
three pounders displayed so I asked the butcher to make me 3 five
pounders, ten minutes later the meat lady brought me three gorgeous
5 lb roasts... plus I picked out a smallish butt end ham for Easter
dinner. only 88lb, 6.78lbs, $5.97:
https://postimg.cc/627LF3Fg
I froze one top round roast to use as an oven roast or perhaps a pot
roast... the other two roasts I ground for burgers and so dinner last
night was two 12 oz. burgers on Kaiser rolls... a slew of 12 oz.
burgers in the freezer. Here's ten pounds of NOT mystery meat almost
filling my 24 cup bowl:
https://postimg.cc/rK0WcsyN
Wild turkey lurkeys arrived early this year:
https://postimg.cc/wRxCJnM9
My harem is always he
https://postimg.cc/gallery/ivo2a7u0/
Dumpster Divers:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1p4rlqey0/
Tonight dinner will be a 12 egg omelet with aliced kielbasa and bell
peppers... pepper cores w/seeds will go to the Dumpster Divers.

Old 16-04-2019, 09:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 6:14:29 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 Gary wrote:
A Moose in Love wrote:
[...]

dinner. only 88b, 6.78lbs, $5.97:
https://postimg.cc/627LF3Fg
I froze one top round roast to use as an oven roast or perhaps a pot
roast... the other two roasts I ground for burgers and so dinner last
night was two 12 oz. burgers on Kaiser rolls... a slew of 12 oz.
burgers in the freezer. Here's ten pounds of NOT mystery meat almost
filling my 24 cup bowl:
https://postimg.cc/rK0WcsyN
Wild turkey lurkeys arrived early this year:
https://postimg.cc/wRxCJnM9
My harem is always he
https://postimg.cc/gallery/ivo2a7u0/
Dumpster Divers:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1p4rlqey0/
Tonight dinner will be a 12 egg omelet with aliced kielbasa and bell
peppers... pepper cores w/seeds will go to the Dumpster Divers.

I don't get it. Why would anybody make an omelet with 12 eggs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3oMPqUTxCE
Old 16-04-2019, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:06:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
wrote:

[...]

Maybe his *** sailor friends are coming over. He might also make a
special soup for them:
https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/044/5035139215044/IDShot_540x540.jpg
Old 17-04-2019, 12:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2019 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
A Moose in Love wrote:

[...]

If you don't start with 'Select' or other crappy grades of beef, CFS
made from good grades of round steak, pounded, can be delicious without
grinding and turning it into a patty. Also not tough when run through
the tenderizer at the store.

Not all country cooking is good. Grits are a great way to ruin
good corn too. As always, just my worthless opinion plus I like
to joke around here sometimes.

Yeah, you're joking. I guess you don't want the recipe for an excellent
grits casserole.

Jill