Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default how to tenderize inside round for chicken fried steak

i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out. i used to pound out my neighbour all the time, so i must have the hang of it. poor guy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 08:41:12 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out. i used to pound out my neighbour all the time, so i must have the hang of it. poor guy.

fresh pineapple juice

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

> i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.

There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 18:32:25 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>> i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.
>>

>There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
>tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
>fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

I won't buy cube steak anymore. The last batch was so darn tough I
made up my mind to buy the steak I wanted for chicken fried steak or a
sandwich.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:46:57 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Apr 2019 18:32:25 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
> >tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
> >fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

> I won't buy cube steak anymore. The last batch was so darn tough I
> made up my mind to buy the steak I wanted for chicken fried steak or a
> sandwich.
> Janet US

Sometimes when I buy a package of cubed steak there's always one in the bunch
that is like shoe leather. Needless to say, you don't find this out until
the package is cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I did my own shopping, for chicken-fried steak, or minute steak, I would choose a piece
of bottom round...packaged or not...and ask the butcher to run it through their tenderizer
(machine) first one direction, and then the other. That process always made it super tender.
Of course, it was a good piece of round to begin with.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 7:56:06 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

> When I did my own shopping, for chicken-fried steak, or minute steak, I would choose a piece
> of bottom round...packaged or not...and ask the butcher to run it through their tenderizer
> (machine) first one direction, and then the other. That process always made it super tender.
> Of course, it was a good piece of round to begin with.
>
> N.

I used to see bottom round in the grocery all the time. But I honestly cannot
remember the last time I've seen one at Kroger or any other store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 9:32:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.
> >

> There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
> tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
> fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 9:32:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> > >
> > > i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.
> > >

> > There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
> > tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
> > fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

> i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

Using cheap and tough beef, better to just grind it (or ask to
have it ground). Then turn it into a large flat patty, either for
a burger, salisbury steak or for this fried beef with white gravy
travesty. Talk about TIAD, imo. I've tried it 3 times (different
places) and each time I felt sorry for the cow that got killed
just to make that nonsense.

Valley Girl: "OMG! EWWWW! Gag-O! "

Not all country cooking is good. Grits are a great way to ruin
good corn too. As always, just my worthless opinion plus I like
to joke around here sometimes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 04:48:30 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 9:32:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Sunday, April 14, 2019 at 10:41:15 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> >
>> > i tried it once. i hammered the inside round steak until it was really thin. using the tenderizing side of a mallet. it was still pretty tough. any suggestions? maybe the next time, i'll buy cube steak and then still pound it out.
>> >

>> There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
>> tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
>> fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

>i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

Cube steak is not pounded, the cubing machine doesn't pound, it slices
many small slits. For very little money you can purchase your own
home-style cuber, called a Jaquard. Pounding meat toughens it by
rupturing the muscle cells which releases the meat's moisture,
resulting in dry tough meat. It's far better to slice your steak thin
longitudinally, i.e. cutlets... quite easy to do; with the palm of the
hand with fingers raised press the meat to a cutting board and with a
*sharp* chefs knife slice the meat through with a slight sawing
motion. With a little practice you'll be able to slice a steak into
several 1/8" cutlets... the trick is to keep the blade's cutting edge
ever so slightly tilted downward... begin with a thick piece of meat
to relieve the fear of cutting yourself. I've been using the
technique all my life and have never cut myself... works very well
with skinless boneless chicken breasts... you definately don't want to
pound them unless you like tough titty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 Gary wrote:
>A Moose in Love wrote:

>> > There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
>> > tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
>> > fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

>> i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

>Using cheap and tough beef, better to just grind it (or ask to
>have it ground). Then turn it into a large flat patty, either for
>a burger, salisbury steak or for this fried beef with white gravy
>travesty.

Two nights ago a 16 egg omelot for dinner, w/ spuds, bell peppers,
asparagus:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/
This week top round roasts were on sale but they only had smallish
three pounders displayed so I asked the butcher to make me 3 five
pounders, ten minutes later the meat lady brought me three gorgeous
5 lb roasts... plus I picked out a smallish butt end ham for Easter
dinner. only 88˘lb, 6.78lbs, $5.97:
https://postimg.cc/627LF3Fg
I froze one top round roast to use as an oven roast or perhaps a pot
roast... the other two roasts I ground for burgers and so dinner last
night was two 12 oz. burgers on Kaiser rolls... a slew of 12 oz.
burgers in the freezer. Here's ten pounds of NOT mystery meat almost
filling my 24 cup bowl:
https://postimg.cc/rK0WcsyN
Wild turkey lurkeys arrived early this year:
https://postimg.cc/wRxCJnM9
My harem is always he
https://postimg.cc/gallery/ivo2a7u0/
Dumpster Divers:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/1p4rlqey0/
Tonight dinner will be a 12 egg omelet with aliced kielbasa and bell
peppers... pepper cores w/seeds will go to the Dumpster Divers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 6:14:29 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 Gary wrote:
> >A Moose in Love wrote:

> >> i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

> >Using cheap and tough beef, better to just grind it (or ask to
> >have it ground). Then turn it into a large flat patty, either for
> >a burger, salisbury steak or for this fried beef with white gravy
> >travesty.

> Two nights ago a 16 egg omelot for dinner, w/ spuds, bell peppers,
> asparagus:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/
> This week top round roasts were on sale but they only had smallish
> three pounders displayed so I asked the butcher to make me 3 five
> pounders, ten minutes later the meat lady brought me three gorgeous
> 5 lb roasts... plus I picked out a smallish butt end ham for Easter
> dinner. only 88î•’b, 6.78lbs, $5.97:
> https://postimg.cc/627LF3Fg
> I froze one top round roast to use as an oven roast or perhaps a pot
> roast... the other two roasts I ground for burgers and so dinner last
> night was two 12 oz. burgers on Kaiser rolls... a slew of 12 oz.
> burgers in the freezer. Here's ten pounds of NOT mystery meat almost
> filling my 24 cup bowl:
> https://postimg.cc/rK0WcsyN
> Wild turkey lurkeys arrived early this year:
> https://postimg.cc/wRxCJnM9
> My harem is always he
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/ivo2a7u0/
> Dumpster Divers:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1p4rlqey0/
> Tonight dinner will be a 12 egg omelet with aliced kielbasa and bell
> peppers... pepper cores w/seeds will go to the Dumpster Divers.

I don't get it. Why would anybody make an omelet with 12 eggs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3oMPqUTxCE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:06:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 6:14:29 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Two nights ago a 16 egg omelot for dinner, w/ spuds, bell peppers,
>> asparagus:
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/
>> This week top round roasts were on sale but they only had smallish
>> three pounders displayed so I asked the butcher to make me 3 five
>> pounders, ten minutes later the meat lady brought me three gorgeous
>> 5 lb roasts... plus I picked out a smallish butt end ham for Easter
>> dinner. only 88?b, 6.78lbs, $5.97:
>> https://postimg.cc/627LF3Fg
>> I froze one top round roast to use as an oven roast or perhaps a pot
>> roast... the other two roasts I ground for burgers and so dinner last
>> night was two 12 oz. burgers on Kaiser rolls... a slew of 12 oz.
>> burgers in the freezer. Here's ten pounds of NOT mystery meat almost
>> filling my 24 cup bowl:
>> https://postimg.cc/rK0WcsyN
>> Wild turkey lurkeys arrived early this year:
>> https://postimg.cc/wRxCJnM9
>> My harem is always he
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/ivo2a7u0/
>> Dumpster Divers:
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1p4rlqey0/
>> Tonight dinner will be a 12 egg omelet with aliced kielbasa and bell
>> peppers... pepper cores w/seeds will go to the Dumpster Divers.

>I don't get it. Why would anybody make an omelet with 12 eggs?
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3oMPqUTxCE

Maybe his *** sailor friends are coming over. He might also make a
special soup for them:
<https://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/044/5035139215044/IDShot_540x540.jpg>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/16/2019 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:

>>> There's no need to tenderize cube steak; it's already gone through the
>>> tenderizer. All you need to do is decide if you are going to cook chicken
>>> fried steak or country fried steak or steak fingers.

>> i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

> Using cheap and tough beef, better to just grind it (or ask to
> have it ground). Then turn it into a large flat patty, either for
> a burger, salisbury steak or for this fried beef with white gravy
> travesty. Talk about TIAD, imo. I've tried it 3 times (different
> places) and each time I felt sorry for the cow that got killed
> just to make that nonsense.

If you don't start with 'Select' or other crappy grades of beef, CFS
made from good grades of round steak, pounded, can be delicious without
grinding and turning it into a patty. Also not tough when run through
the tenderizer at the store.

> Not all country cooking is good. Grits are a great way to ruin
> good corn too. As always, just my worthless opinion plus I like
> to joke around here sometimes.

Yeah, you're joking. I guess you don't want the recipe for an excellent
grits casserole.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 13:06:56 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 6:14:29 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

>> >Using cheap and tough beef, better to just grind it (or ask to
>> >have it ground). Then turn it into a large flat patty, either for
>> >a burger, salisbury steak or for this fried beef with white gravy
>> >travesty.

>> Two nights ago a 16 egg omelot for dinner, w/ spuds, bell peppers,
>> asparagus:
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/
>> This week top round roasts were on sale but they only had smallish
>> three pounders displayed so I asked the butcher to make me 3 five
>> pounders, ten minutes later the meat lady brought me three gorgeous
>> 5 lb roasts... plus I picked out a smallish butt end ham for Easter
>> dinner. only 88?b, 6.78lbs, $5.97:
>> https://postimg.cc/627LF3Fg
>> I froze one top round roast to use as an oven roast or perhaps a pot
>> roast... the other two roasts I ground for burgers and so dinner last
>> night was two 12 oz. burgers on Kaiser rolls... a slew of 12 oz.
>> burgers in the freezer. Here's ten pounds of NOT mystery meat almost
>> filling my 24 cup bowl:
>> https://postimg.cc/rK0WcsyN
>> Wild turkey lurkeys arrived early this year:
>> https://postimg.cc/wRxCJnM9
>> My harem is always he
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/ivo2a7u0/
>> Dumpster Divers:
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1p4rlqey0/
>> Tonight dinner will be a 12 egg omelet with aliced kielbasa and bell
>> peppers... pepper cores w/seeds will go to the Dumpster Divers.

>I don't get it. Why would anybody make an omelet with 12 eggs?

Perhaps they feel their cholesterol is not high enough

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3oMPqUTxCE

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 7:03:40 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/16/2019 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
> > A Moose in Love wrote:

> >> i've had tough cube steak once in a while. hence the need to smash it some more.

> > Using cheap and tough beef, better to just grind it (or ask to
> > have it ground). Then turn it into a large flat patty, either for
> > a burger, salisbury steak or for this fried beef with white gravy
> > travesty. Talk about TIAD, imo. I've tried it 3 times (different
> > places) and each time I felt sorry for the cow that got killed
> > just to make that nonsense.
> >

> If you don't start with 'Select' or other crappy grades of beef, CFS
> made from good grades of round steak, pounded, can be delicious without
> grinding and turning it into a patty. Also not tough when run through
> the tenderizer at the store.

here, much our beef is graded AA. you can get AAA as well, which is more marbled. then there is prime, and i see that rarely. it's very expensive. the last time i saw prime was strip loins prime grade @ $22.00 per pound. that store only had it once. never saw it again. maybe they couldn't sell it at that price.

> > Not all country cooking is good. Grits are a great way to ruin
> > good corn too. As always, just my worthless opinion plus I like
> > to joke around here sometimes.
> >

> Yeah, you're joking. I guess you don't want the recipe for an excellent
> grits casserole.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I periodically have lunch at our local Perkins franchise, and odd as it seems, their CFS is
the best diner version I have ever had. It can be cut with a fork, and there is always
plenty of gravy.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/
> https://postimg.cc/627LF3Fg
> https://postimg.cc/rK0WcsyN
> https://postimg.cc/wRxCJnM9
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/ivo2a7u0/

> Dumpster Divers:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1p4rlqey0/

All that mess tossed out the window would attract wharf rats
here. Those kids grow almost as large as cats. They would destroy
your "feral colony."

Nice pics all though. Thanks for posting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 07:29:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/
>> https://postimg.cc/627LF3Fg
>> https://postimg.cc/rK0WcsyN
>> https://postimg.cc/wRxCJnM9
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/ivo2a7u0/

>> Dumpster Divers:
>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1p4rlqey0/

>All that mess tossed out the window would attract wharf rats
>here. Those kids grow almost as large as cats. They would destroy
>your "feral colony."
>
>Nice pics all though. Thanks for posting.

Only rats here are tree rats... squirrels are no match for ferral
cats, squirrels become meals. I only toss veggie stuff out my window
and every bit is gone by dawn... deer are like Dysons. There that was
mostly canteloupe rinds. Meat trimmings are tossed from my deck...
crows are there before I can close the door behind me... crows are
carnivores, they survive quite well here on roadkill. I always know
when lazy hunters didn't track a mortally wounded deer, I'll spot
turkey vultures circling... magnificent in flight but butt ugly on the
ground.
https://goneoutdoors.com/turkey-buzzards-6570733.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_vulture

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 1:40:57 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 07:29:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/
> >> https://postimg.cc/627LF3Fg
> >> https://postimg.cc/rK0WcsyN
> >> https://postimg.cc/wRxCJnM9
> >> https://postimg.cc/gallery/ivo2a7u0/

> >> Dumpster Divers:
> >> https://postimg.cc/gallery/1p4rlqey0/

> >All that mess tossed out the window would attract wharf rats
> >here. Those kids grow almost as large as cats. They would destroy
> >your "feral colony."
> >
> >Nice pics all though. Thanks for posting.

> Only rats here are tree rats...

Everywhere there are humans, there are rats. You might not see
them, but they're there.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-17 12:23 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 1:40:57 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 07:29:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>> wrote:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/

>>> All that mess tossed out the window would attract wharf rats
>>> here. Those kids grow almost as large as cats. They would destroy
>>> your "feral colony."
>>>
>>> Nice pics all though. Thanks for posting.

>> Only rats here are tree rats...

> Everywhere there are humans, there are rats. You might not see
> them, but they're there.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Except for Alberta, which IS rat free!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

graham wrote:

> On 2019-04-17 12:23 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/

> >> Only rats here are tree rats...

> > Everywhere there are humans, there are rats. You might not see
> > them, but they're there.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Except for Alberta, which IS rat free!

What, so Alberta has no *liberals*, graham...!!!???

;-D

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-17 12:49 p.m., GM wrote:
> graham wrote:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1h9qfp8h4/

>>> Everywhere there are humans, there are rats. You might not see
>>> them, but they're there.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Except for Alberta, which IS rat free!

> What, so Alberta has no *liberals*, graham...!!!???
>
> ;-D

I should have added "except for the Conservatives" who have just been
returned to power so that they can mismanage the economy as they did for
over 40 years!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, graham >
wrote:

> On 2019-04-17 12:23 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > Everywhere there are humans, there are rats. You might not see
> > them, but they're there.

> Except for Alberta, which IS rat free!

I saw a delightful episode of "Joe Pera Talks With You" that stated
just that. I suspect that some Montana rats invade the border from time
to time.
I often dreamt of starting a rat ranch near Kalispell, but life got in
the way, and now I'm too old.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-04-17 3:44 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, graham >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2019-04-17 12:23 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Everywhere there are humans, there are rats. You might not see
>>> them, but they're there.

>> Except for Alberta, which IS rat free!

> I saw a delightful episode of "Joe Pera Talks With You" that stated
> just that. I suspect that some Montana rats invade the border from time
> to time.
> I often dreamt of starting a rat ranch near Kalispell, but life got in
> the way, and now I'm too old.
>
> leo

We have a "Rat Patrol" that gets called out when any are spotted on
farms near the Saskatchewan border or in garbage dumps. It's headline
news then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 15:50:26 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-04-17 3:44 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> In article >, graham >
>> wrote:

>>> Except for Alberta, which IS rat free!

>> I saw a delightful episode of "Joe Pera Talks With You" that stated
>> just that. I suspect that some Montana rats invade the border from time
>> to time.
>> I often dreamt of starting a rat ranch near Kalispell, but life got in
>> the way, and now I'm too old.
>>
>> leo
>>

>We have a "Rat Patrol" that gets called out when any are spotted on
>farms near the Saskatchewan border or in garbage dumps. It's headline
>news then.

Small things amuse small minds, but it's amazing that Canadian rats
respect province borders!