Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Surprise! Some People Living Alone Actually Cook!

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 18:01:01 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:

> ha! a lot of people don't have a clue, and a lot of people don't have
> a clue about cooking
>
> that's why there are Hot Pockets

Have you read the ingredients in those things?

I grew up reading the ingredients in Stouffers red box entrees. Le
Menu, and Top Shelf. I still love Stouffers and they still have
very "clean" labels. And they don't get any credit for inventing
sous vide-style cooking. Which would have at least have prevented
me from having to say or type that horrible phrase that doesn't even
make sense in French. I could be "Stouffering" instead.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 5:06:47 AM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
> A co-worker was surprised when I mentioned I like to cook. "Just for
> yourself?" Yes. "You live alone, right?" Yes. "And you cook. Just
> for yourself." I laughed. Of course I do! You don't think I go out to
> eat every day, do you?
>
> Maybe the millenials go out to eat all the time but I'm not a millenial.
> The idea that people living by themselves don't cook seems to be a
> common misconception.
>
> I explained to her I have a small stand-alone freezer. Cooking for one
> isn't difficult. But with a freezer it's easy to cook some things in
> slightly larger quantities and have leftovers for homemade freezer meals
> for when I don't feel like cooking.
>
> I don't understand why the concept was such a surprise. Your thoughts?
>
> Jill

I have always cooked for others. First for my parents and now for my family. There's not much point in cooking for myself. I don't have much of an appetite for the things I cook. I prefer to eat the cooking of others.

Dinner for my wife tonight was stir fried cauliflower, and shrimp. I cooked up the stems of the cauliflower. That had to be fried separately to make them edible. The shrimp was Hawaiian style garlic shrimp. This accompanied with Japanese style pickles.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...NFY82JdU6irvT2
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 5:06:47 AM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
> A co-worker was surprised when I mentioned I like to cook. "Just for
> yourself?" Yes. "You live alone, right?" Yes. "And you cook. Just
> for yourself." I laughed. Of course I do! You don't think I go out to
> eat every day, do you?
>
> Maybe the millenials go out to eat all the time but I'm not a millenial.
> The idea that people living by themselves don't cook seems to be a
> common misconception.
>
> I explained to her I have a small stand-alone freezer. Cooking for one
> isn't difficult. But with a freezer it's easy to cook some things in
> slightly larger quantities and have leftovers for homemade freezer meals
> for when I don't feel like cooking.
>
> I don't understand why the concept was such a surprise. Your thoughts?
>
> Jill

I have always cooked for others. First for my parents and now for my family.
There's not much point in cooking for myself. I don't have much of an
appetite for the things I cook. I prefer to eat the cooking of others.

Dinner for my wife tonight was stir fried cauliflower, and shrimp. I cooked
up the stems of the cauliflower. That had to be fried separately to make
them edible. The shrimp was Hawaiian style garlic shrimp. This accompanied
with Japanese style pickles.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...NFY82JdU6irvT2

==

That looks good What did you cook your cauliflower with?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 3:34:38 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
> > > one
> > > isn't difficult. But with a freezer it's easy to cook some things in
> > > slightly larger quantities and have leftovers for homemade freezer
> > > meals
> > > for when I don't feel like cooking.
> > >
> > > I don't understand why the concept was such a surprise. Your
> > > thoughts?
> > >
> > > Jill

> > There were times when I was younger when I went straight from work to
> > some
> > other activities and I might not get home until the wee hours, then, I
> > didn't do a lot of cooking at home although the cooking that I did do
> > was
> > usually brought to work as lunch.
> >
> > These days I only dine out when I have to. I don't like dining out.

> i just got invited to a chinese buffet place for my friends birthday. i
> mentioned before here that i get sick when i eat there. i'm going, but i
> will only eat the 'north american' type foods such as ribs, wings(just
> breaded; no sauce), shrimp cocktail etc. i'm not touching any of the
> 'chinese' type foods. no soup.
>
> ---
> Ugh those are the worst! Chinese food is not the kind of stuff that should
> be on a steam table. It either dries out or goes soggy depending on what
> it
> is. I used to get furious with my ex because he loved to go to an Asian
> buffet in Alameda. The cost was $20 per person. No cheaper prices for
> kids.
> No way to go in and not eat. The only drinks were Pepsi products which I
> hate. I don't even recall tea being available.
>
> They had some kind of salad (Daikon?) that I loved but even a bite of it
> shot my blood sugar through the roof. The only thing they had that I would
> eat was some lasagna that clearly came from frozen. It wasn't bad but it
> was
> pretty carby for me so I could only eat a small amount of it.
>
> The only thing they had that Angela would eat were tiny muffins. She would
> only eat one kind and sometimes they didn't have the kind she liked. And
> if
> they did have them, there was never more than two. Angela loved fried rice
> in those days but theirs was always dried out to the point where it was so
> crispy you could break a tooth on it. So was the regular rice.
>
> I have no clue why people liked eating there but they did seem to like it.
> The place had sushi and purportedly crab. I never saw the crab though.
> What
> I did see was pan after pan of food that seemed decrepit. Mostly what I
> saw
> people eating was the sushi but they had to keep going back again and
> again
> for that. They seemed to only put out about 8 pieces at a time. As such,
> people would spend hours in there, eating because it took them so long to

I'll have to check out the local Chinese buffet scene. I saw a lady that had
eaten at a place called "Maple Garden" yesterday. She said it was good. She
ought to know - she's an actual Chinese lady. The joint is kind of a dump so
it could be kind of risky but it could be rewarding. When she said "hot and
sour soup" I knew I had to go there.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/maple-garden-honolulu-3

---

That actually looks good and I love the lucky cats!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 13:13:03 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I have no idea what she does for meals. I mentioned fresh vegetables
>> and she said they tend to go bad before she can use them. I told her
>> about parboiling then shocking in cold water and freezing them to use
>> later. I don't know what she has at her house.

> Get up in her face and ask her. Perhaps its just the image you
> poprtray in person.
>
> I wouldn't have suspected Julie cooks or even knows where to buy
> ingredients for cooking from half her "conversation starters" here.
> I'd have her more pegged as heavy drinker, of "Ensure".

Ew. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. The bulk of my groceries are
fresh produce and cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 18:04:46 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> She is seemingly divorced (I don't ask) but has a grown daughter who
>>> lives
>>> in Delaware. She either has a much younger son or a grandchild she's
>>> caring for here in SC.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what she does for meals. I mentioned fresh vegetables
>>> and
>>> she said they tend to go bad before she can use them. I told her about
>>> parboiling then shocking in cold water and freezing them to use later. I
>>> don't know what she has at her house.

>> A lot of people do not cook. My elderly friend generally does not. Never
>> did. Rarely dines out. Raised 4 kids. The only raw veggies she buys are
>> baby
>> carrots, bagged salad, an occasional tomato, potatoes, sweet potatoes,
>> asparagus in season and perhaps some fruit. She does use the microwave to
>> do
>> veggies. She does not call that cooking.
>>
>> She will do a pot roast or chicken breasts in the oven. She only uses
>> seasoning packets if anything. Does not use salt or pepper. She has a
>> rice
>> cooker and makes rice pretty much every days. Buys frozen veggies for the
>> microwave. She can do a grilled cheese and knows how to make some
>> Japanese
>> dishes but rarely does.
>>
>> Her adult son who lives with her does know how to cook and sometimes does
>> but he will go through great periods of time when he does not cook.
>>
>> My friend is now on a very low fiber diet so that limits what she can eat
>> but prior to that, her dietary staples were yogurt, pudding cups, cereal,
>> nuts, breakfast type bars, tons of milk, hot dogs, tubs of some kind of
>> meat
>> in BBQ sauce, frozen entrees and pizza, hamburger helper, crackers with
>> peanut butter or cheese and canned soup.

> She sounds magnitudes more normal than you.
>
> I'd like to see what she'd would write about you here (thinking you
> don't read the group).
>
> I snipped everything else you wrote unread. I keep forgetting to
> look at the count of number of liens before I open a post of yours.
> It's not fair to others.

I have no liens.