Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recycling?

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 4:21:30 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 10:05:48 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Makes you wonder how much two people can have in garbage each week the way
> >she writes about "having a bunch of bins lined up waiting for the collectors
> >in the week."

> If the municipality gives you certain size bins and collects every
> week, why would you want to keep the bins back until they are filled
> (months later) with rotting and smelly stuff? I can fill the recycle
> and the compost but there is no way I can fill the trash. But I put
> them out anyway because I am getting charged whether they are full or
> not.

I don't have garbage every week and that's one reason I requested the smaller
64 gallon trash and recycling bins. One thing I do to alleviate any possi-
bility of smelly garbage is to put meat scraps and thrown away food in
doubled Walmart/Kroger plastic shopping bags. They then go in the freezer
until garbage is taken out for pick up. No smell in the refrigerator or
freezer or in the kitchen garbage can.

Recyclables are picked up monthly here and yard waste every quarter. Yard
waste is to be placed at the back of our property for the truck with the
huge claw to pick up. But all these services are paid for with our property
tax dollars; no additional charge for any of the collections.

https://i.postimg.cc/B6wG8ZjS/Brush-Truck.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:13:37 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 4:21:30 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 10:05:48 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Makes you wonder how much two people can have in garbage each week the way
>> >she writes about "having a bunch of bins lined up waiting for the collectors
>> >in the week."

>> If the municipality gives you certain size bins and collects every
>> week, why would you want to keep the bins back until they are filled
>> (months later) with rotting and smelly stuff? I can fill the recycle
>> and the compost but there is no way I can fill the trash. But I put
>> them out anyway because I am getting charged whether they are full or
>> not.
>>

>I don't have garbage every week and that's one reason I requested the smaller
>64 gallon trash and recycling bins. One thing I do to alleviate any possi-
>bility of smelly garbage is to put meat scraps and thrown away food in
>doubled Walmart/Kroger plastic shopping bags. They then go in the freezer
>until garbage is taken out for pick up. No smell in the refrigerator or
>freezer or in the kitchen garbage can.
>
>Recyclables are picked up monthly here and yard waste every quarter. Yard
>waste is to be placed at the back of our property for the truck with the
>huge claw to pick up. But all these services are paid for with our property
>tax dollars; no additional charge for any of the collections.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/B6wG8ZjS/Brush-Truck.jpg

I was responding to your comment on filling several cans each week.
> >Makes you wonder how much two people can have in garbage each week the way
>> >she writes about "having a bunch of bins lined up waiting for the collectors
>> >in the week."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:

> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage every
> 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during the
> warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just don't
> bother if there's little in them.

Garbage every 2 weeks? I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and crab
shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer. In FL we have
garbage twice a week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-22 6:33 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
>

>> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage
>> every 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during
>> the warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just
>> don't bother if there's little in them.

> Garbage every 2 weeks?Â* I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and crab
> shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer.Â* In FL we have
> garbage twice a week.

Isn't that a commentary on Floridean lifestyle?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 8:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
>

>> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage
>> every 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during
>> the warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just
>> don't bother if there's little in them.

> Garbage every 2 weeks?Â* I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and crab
> shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer.Â* In FL we have
> garbage twice a week.

Garbage pickup is twice a week here. I split the bill with my neighbor
since we're both single and don't generate a lot of trash.

Despite where I live I don't often have shrimp and/or crab shells but
yes, that would get stinky if left sitting around!

No diapers here but I do have to dispose of dirty cat litter. I
definitely don't want that sitting around in the garage for a week or
two. I also don't want to put it in my car and haul it to the recycle
center. They don't have a special bin for cat litter...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

GM wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 17:28:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>>
>>> You have to take it yourself?

>> Imbecile dumb **** can't trim before posting her widdle bit of
>> worthless shit... TYPICAL LEFT/WEST COAST MORON!
>> You sicko POS.

> The Bovine is *such* a DUMBIE that when her doc prescribed burf control pills and told her "take by mouth" she instead inserted them into her a - n - u - s ...and thus her mongoloid daughter Angela was spawned...
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

DAMN! I thought Popeye raped her. Right after Jill turned down his big
ole Navy peepee he's always talking about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 20:33:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
>

>> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage every
>> 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during the
>> warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just don't
>> bother if there's little in them.

>Garbage every 2 weeks? I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and crab
>shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer. In FL we have
>garbage twice a week.

The diapers are recycled into McDonalds hamburgers so they're
collected weekly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 21:13:13 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/22/2019 8:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
>>

>>> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage
>>> every 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during
>>> the warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just
>>> don't bother if there's little in them.

>> Garbage every 2 weeks?* I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and crab
>> shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer.* In FL we have
>> garbage twice a week.

>Garbage pickup is twice a week here. I split the bill with my neighbor
>since we're both single and don't generate a lot of trash.
>
>Despite where I live I don't often have shrimp and/or crab shells but
>yes, that would get stinky if left sitting around!

You just keep them frozen until garbage day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
>

>> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage
>> every 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during
>> the warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just
>> don't bother if there's little in them.

> Garbage every 2 weeks? I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and crab
> shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer. In FL we have
> garbage twice a week.

Hell, you should do like Popeye; just throw all that shit out yoose window.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/22/2019 8:59 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2019-03-22 6:33 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
>>

>>> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage
>>> every 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during
>>> the warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just
>>> don't bother if there's little in them.

>> Garbage every 2 weeks?Â* I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and
>> crab shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer.Â* In FL we
>> have garbage twice a week.

> Isn't that a commentary on Floridean lifestyle?

Not really. People all over the country have babies that shit in
diapers. Maybe more seafood in coastal regions, but there is all types
of rotting garbage all over the world. I never saw a place that did not
have at least weekly pickup. I don't want to store that stuff for 2
weeks. We do have 2 pickups a week here though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-22 9:11 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/22/2019 8:59 PM, graham wrote:

>>> Garbage every 2 weeks?Â* I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and
>>> crab shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer.Â* In FL we
>>> have garbage twice a week.

>> Isn't that a commentary on Floridean lifestyle?

> Not really.Â* People all over the country have babies that shit in
> diapers.Â* Maybe more seafood in coastal regions, but there is all types
> of rotting garbage all over the world.Â* I never saw a place that did not
> have at least weekly pickup.Â* I don't want to store that stuff for 2
> weeks.Â* We do have 2 pickups a week here though.

Organics are picked up weekly in the warmer months when garden waste is
abundant. Diapers go in the general garbage and you are right, stink to
high heaven in the summer. But you can't have everything in life!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2019 12:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
>

>> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage
>> every 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during
>> the warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just
>> don't bother if there's little in them.

> Garbage every 2 weeks? I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and crab
> shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer. In FL we have
> garbage twice a week.

We have collections on the north coast of Scotland on alternate weeks -
one week rubbish, the next week recycling (mixed paper, plastic, tins).
Glass isn't collected - we need to take that to the recycling centre.

In NJ, we have twice weekly rubbish collections, recycling once a week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 20:33:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
>

>> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage every
>> 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during the
>> warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just don't
>> bother if there's little in them.

>Garbage every 2 weeks? I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and crab
>shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer. In FL we have
>garbage twice a week.

Shells would be going in the compost bin which is emptied weekly in
hot weather.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 13:55:48 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 20:33:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
>>

>>> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage every
>>> 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during the
>>> warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just don't
>>> bother if there's little in them.

>>Garbage every 2 weeks? I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and crab
>>shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer. In FL we have
>>garbage twice a week.

>The diapers are recycled into McDonalds hamburgers so they're
>collected weekly.

That's a great example of 'reuse'!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 21:22:01 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-03-22 9:11 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Isn't that a commentary on Floridean lifestyle?

>> Not really.* People all over the country have babies that shit in
>> diapers.* Maybe more seafood in coastal regions, but there is all types
>> of rotting garbage all over the world.* I never saw a place that did not
>> have at least weekly pickup.* I don't want to store that stuff for 2
>> weeks.* We do have 2 pickups a week here though.

>Organics are picked up weekly in the warmer months when garden waste is
>abundant. Diapers go in the general garbage and you are right, stink to
>high heaven in the summer. But you can't have everything in life!

Maybe if they stink the parents could switch to cloth diapers - even
those are far more practical than they were when my kids were babies.
My daughters used them for their kids and they are shaped cloth that
fits inside a plastic holder, look like disposables and these days if
both parents are working, there are dozens of diaper services
available.

I can't even begin to think what it must be like in a dump with all
those diapers, what a thing to leave behind. The diaper manufacturers
should have been compelled to make them disintegrating in some way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2019 7:48 AM, wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 21:22:01 -0600, graham > wrote:

>>> Not really.Â* People all over the country have babies that shit in
>>> diapers.Â* Maybe more seafood in coastal regions, but there is all types
>>> of rotting garbage all over the world.Â* I never saw a place that did not
>>> have at least weekly pickup.Â* I don't want to store that stuff for 2
>>> weeks.Â* We do have 2 pickups a week here though.

>> Organics are picked up weekly in the warmer months when garden waste is
>> abundant. Diapers go in the general garbage and you are right, stink to
>> high heaven in the summer. But you can't have everything in life!

> Maybe if they stink the parents could switch to cloth diapers - even
> those are far more practical than they were when my kids were babies.
> My daughters used them for their kids and they are shaped cloth that
> fits inside a plastic holder, look like disposables and these days if
> both parents are working, there are dozens of diaper services
> available.
>
> I can't even begin to think what it must be like in a dump with all
> those diapers, what a thing to leave behind. The diaper manufacturers
> should have been compelled to make them disintegrating in some way.

Maybe parents could just by washable diapers and eliminate them all
together.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-23 5:48 a.m., wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 21:22:01 -0600, graham > wrote:

>>> Not really.Â* People all over the country have babies that shit in
>>> diapers.Â* Maybe more seafood in coastal regions, but there is all types
>>> of rotting garbage all over the world.Â* I never saw a place that did not
>>> have at least weekly pickup.Â* I don't want to store that stuff for 2
>>> weeks.Â* We do have 2 pickups a week here though.

>> Organics are picked up weekly in the warmer months when garden waste is
>> abundant. Diapers go in the general garbage and you are right, stink to
>> high heaven in the summer. But you can't have everything in life!

> Maybe if they stink the parents could switch to cloth diapers - even
> those are far more practical than they were when my kids were babies.
> My daughters used them for their kids and they are shaped cloth that
> fits inside a plastic holder, look like disposables and these days if
> both parents are working, there are dozens of diaper services
> available.
>
> I can't even begin to think what it must be like in a dump with all
> those diapers, what a thing to leave behind. The diaper manufacturers
> should have been compelled to make them disintegrating in some way.

We used cloth ones for my sons. It became a morning routine for me to
empty the bucket of dirty ones into the washing machine before I went to
work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-23 1:07 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
> On 3/23/2019 12:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/22/2019 1:12 PM, graham wrote:
>>

>>> Our system is the same except that RC is collected weekly, garbage
>>> every 2 weeks and organics the same (but weekly for the latter during
>>> the warmer months). I know I can put them out every week but I just
>>> don't bother if there's little in them.

>> Garbage every 2 weeks?Â* I cannot imagine what the shrimp shells and crab
>> shells, disposable diapers would be like in summer.Â* In FL we have
>> garbage twice a week.

> We have collections on the north coast of Scotland on alternate weeks -
> one week rubbish, the next week recycling (mixed paper, plastic, tins).
> Glass isn't collected - we need to take that to the recycling centre.
>
> In NJ, we have twice weekly rubbish collections, recycling once a week.

The recycling ethic has become so well entrenched that they have to
collect every week, winter and summer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 06:59:59 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-03-23 5:48 a.m., wrote:

>>> Organics are picked up weekly in the warmer months when garden waste is
>>> abundant. Diapers go in the general garbage and you are right, stink to
>>> high heaven in the summer. But you can't have everything in life!

>> Maybe if they stink the parents could switch to cloth diapers - even
>> those are far more practical than they were when my kids were babies.
>> My daughters used them for their kids and they are shaped cloth that
>> fits inside a plastic holder, look like disposables and these days if
>> both parents are working, there are dozens of diaper services
>> available.
>>
>> I can't even begin to think what it must be like in a dump with all
>> those diapers, what a thing to leave behind. The diaper manufacturers
>> should have been compelled to make them disintegrating in some way.
>>

>We used cloth ones for my sons. It became a morning routine for me to
>empty the bucket of dirty ones into the washing machine before I went to
>work.

With mine, I didn't have a washing machine, few people did. I had a
pull out boiler with a gas ring below it. Did the job admirably.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Maybe parents could just by washable diapers and eliminate them all
> together.

More earth friendly. I had no problem washing the nasty nappies
for months. Labor of love.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 16:44:31 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:13:37 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 4:21:30 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 10:05:48 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> If the municipality gives you certain size bins and collects every
>>> week, why would you want to keep the bins back until they are filled
>>> (months later) with rotting and smelly stuff? I can fill the recycle
>>> and the compost but there is no way I can fill the trash. But I put
>>> them out anyway because I am getting charged whether they are full or
>>> not.
>>>

>>I don't have garbage every week and that's one reason I requested the smaller
>>64 gallon trash and recycling bins. One thing I do to alleviate any possi-
>>bility of smelly garbage is to put meat scraps and thrown away food in
>>doubled Walmart/Kroger plastic shopping bags. They then go in the freezer
>>until garbage is taken out for pick up. No smell in the refrigerator or
>>freezer or in the kitchen garbage can.
>>
>>Recyclables are picked up monthly here and yard waste every quarter. Yard
>>waste is to be placed at the back of our property for the truck with the
>>huge claw to pick up. But all these services are paid for with our property
>>tax dollars; no additional charge for any of the collections.
>>
>>https://i.postimg.cc/B6wG8ZjS/Brush-Truck.jpg

>I was responding to your comment on filling several cans each week.
>> >Makes you wonder how much two people can have in garbage each week the way

Our trash is collected once a week, usually early Wednesday morning so
most put it out the night before, but we are up and about by 4:30 AM
feeding cats so that when we put out the two wheeled bins, one for
trash, mostly used cat litter, and one for recyclicables, mostly
aluminum cat food cans and packing materials from various mail order
deliveries; mostly from Amazon and Chewy. We have no edible food
trash, it eitrer gets tossed out for critters or goes into the
composter. We have a choice ot three different size bins but we have
the smallest, the larger two take up too much space in the garage
making it too tight a fit for the two vehicals. I squash all metal
cans flat by stomping, and all cardboard is flattened and tapped.
Sometimes the pick up schedual is changed due to inclement weather
(heavy snow) but they phone by robo-call to apprise, besides when
there's ssnow we know the pick-up will be a day later, sometimes two
days.
We save plastic shopping bags for the cat litter but those are not
nearly enough so we buy them in cartons of 1,000 at BJs for just under
$10. We buy the clear Duck tape fom Amazon, six rolls to a pack, each
roll lasts about a year.
https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Clear-Pa...ck%2Caps%2C176

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 12:29:56 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> We used cloth diapers and used a diaper service. The dirty diapers were
> dumped out and rinsed and kept in a covered bin. The diaper truck came,
> took the dirty ones and left a bundle of nice, soft, clean diapers.

Years ago that would be a gift that the expectant parents received at a baby
shower; a year of diaper service
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 16:44:31 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:13:37 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't have garbage every week and that's one reason I requested the smaller
>>> 64 gallon trash and recycling bins. One thing I do to alleviate any possi-
>>> bility of smelly garbage is to put meat scraps and thrown away food in
>>> doubled Walmart/Kroger plastic shopping bags. They then go in the freezer
>>> until garbage is taken out for pick up. No smell in the refrigerator or
>>> freezer or in the kitchen garbage can.
>>>
>>> Recyclables are picked up monthly here and yard waste every quarter. Yard
>>> waste is to be placed at the back of our property for the truck with the
>>> huge claw to pick up. But all these services are paid for with our property
>>> tax dollars; no additional charge for any of the collections.

https://i.postimg.cc/B6wG8ZjS/Brush-Truck.jpg

>> I was responding to your comment on filling several cans each week.

> Our trash is collected once a week, usually early Wednesday morning so
> most put it out the night before, but we are up and about by 4:30 AM
> feeding cats so that when we put out the two wheeled bins, one for
> trash, mostly used cat litter, and one for recyclicables, mostly
> aluminum cat food cans and packing materials from various mail order
> deliveries; mostly from Amazon and Chewy. We have no edible food
> trash, it eitrer gets tossed out for critters or goes into the
> composter. We have a choice ot three different size bins but we have
> the smallest, the larger two take up too much space in the garage
> making it too tight a fit for the two vehicals. I squash all metal
> cans flat by stomping, and all cardboard is flattened and tapped.
> Sometimes the pick up schedual is changed due to inclement weather
> (heavy snow) but they phone by robo-call to apprise, besides when
> there's ssnow we know the pick-up will be a day later, sometimes two
> days.
> We save plastic shopping bags for the cat litter but those are not
> nearly enough so we buy them in cartons of 1,000 at BJs for just under
> $10. We buy the clear Duck tape fom Amazon, six rolls to a pack, each
> roll lasts about a year.
> https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Clear-Pa...ck%2Caps%2C176

Yoose go to all that trouble Popeye? Why? Yoose just throw the crap out
yoose window anyway.

Your Recycling Gets Recycled, Right? Maybe, or Maybe Not U.S. Janet B. General Cooking 8 04-06-2018 12:20 AM
Recycling Nancy2 General Cooking 1 31-05-2011 04:05 PM
recycling potentiel? Aussie1[_2_] General Cooking 2 31-12-2010 03:39 AM
National Recycling Day? On Sunday? Andy[_15_] General Cooking 0 15-11-2009 04:01 PM
recycling, booring naked on the phone General Cooking 14 01-11-2006 03:00 AM