Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned Beef

Well, today I bought my first ever flat cut slab of corned beef.
Ive never cooked one but have eaten it and really did enjoy it
but Im not going to be cooking cabbage, carrots, and potatoes
with mine. But I have been watching a couple of Instant Pot
videos on YouTube and since my Ninja Foodi is also a pressure
cooker Im going to give it a whirl later this week. Cooking
it in the oven supposedly takes several hours but the pressure
cooker will reduce that time down to 90 minutes or less.

Whenever I cook this piece of meat, Ill cook some green beans
and mashed potatoes separately.

Wish me luck!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 8:32:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Well, today I bought my first ever flat cut slab of corned beef.
> Ive never cooked one but have eaten it and really did enjoy it
> but Im not going to be cooking cabbage, carrots, and potatoes
> with mine. But I have been watching a couple of Instant Pot
> videos on YouTube and since my Ninja Foodi is also a pressure
> cooker Im going to give it a whirl later this week. Cooking
> it in the oven supposedly takes several hours but the pressure
> cooker will reduce that time down to 90 minutes or less.
>
> Whenever I cook this piece of meat, Ill cook some green beans
> and mashed potatoes separately.
>
> Wish me luck!!

good luck. sounds like a good simple meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 7:36:08 PM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 8:32:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > Well, today I bought my first ever flat cut slab of corned beef.
> > Ive never cooked one but have eaten it and really did enjoy it
> > but Im not going to be cooking cabbage, carrots, and potatoes
> > with mine. But I have been watching a couple of Instant Pot
> > videos on YouTube and since my Ninja Foodi is also a pressure
> > cooker Im going to give it a whirl later this week. Cooking
> > it in the oven supposedly takes several hours but the pressure
> > cooker will reduce that time down to 90 minutes or less.
> >
> > Whenever I cook this piece of meat, Ill cook some green beans
> > and mashed potatoes separately.
> >
> > Wish me luck!!

> good luck. sounds like a good simple meal.

I'll probably do it this week-end. Right now there is an enormous bowl of
homemade chili that needs to be slurped down so I can make room in the
refrigerator.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 9:09:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 7:36:08 PM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 8:32:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> > > Well, today I bought my first ever flat cut slab of corned beef.
> > > Ive never cooked one but have eaten it and really did enjoy it
> > > but Im not going to be cooking cabbage, carrots, and potatoes
> > > with mine. But I have been watching a couple of Instant Pot
> > > videos on YouTube and since my Ninja Foodi is also a pressure
> > > cooker Im going to give it a whirl later this week. Cooking
> > > it in the oven supposedly takes several hours but the pressure
> > > cooker will reduce that time down to 90 minutes or less.
> > >
> > > Whenever I cook this piece of meat, Ill cook some green beans
> > > and mashed potatoes separately.
> > >
> > > Wish me luck!!

> > good luck. sounds like a good simple meal.
> >

> I'll probably do it this week-end. Right now there is an enormous bowl of
> homemade chili that needs to be slurped down so I can make room in the
> refrigerator.

i had beef hungarian goulash today. i have some kind of goulash about 4 times per week. i just can't get enough of the stuff. i'll use beef, pork, or chicken. i don't use sour cream like some people do in their chicken or pork making it a paprikash. i like it without. using sour cream changes it into something else. it's good, but i just don't do it. the cut of beef i used was inside round. it is very lean and does not have much marbling.. but it does have good flavour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> Thanks! And no mustard for me either.
> >>

> >I may be wrong but it seems to me it was Sheldon who espouses corned
> >beef brisket done in the oven brushed with Dijon or other mustard. I
> >really don't feel like googling for it. I'm sure he'll correct me if
> >I'm wrong.
> >
> >Jill

> Corned beef is simmered till tender, then placed in a roasting pan,
> brushed with a little Guldens spicey brown and then baked for a bit...
> anyone wants more mustard can add their own at table... a corned beef
> on seeded rye requires brown mustard, nevever yallow... only fruits
> buy yallow musturd.

A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
for it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:
snip

>A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
>for it.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 9:12:59 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
> snip
> >
> >A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
> >for it.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
> mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
> salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
> thanks
> Janet US

Potatoes, cubed and cooked
Diced onion and celery

Mayonnaise
A little vinegar to thin
A squirt of yellow mustard. Not too much.
A little sugar to correct the tartness. Definitely not too much.
Salt and pepper to taste

My grandmother used Miracle Whip. She's why I don't have an actual
recipe with quantities. I watched her make it so many times it's
just instinct.

Lately I've been mixing the dressing with the onion and celery before
adding to the potatoes.

My family always added sliced green olives, but I find nobody likes
that but me so I don't add them anymore.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 9:12:59 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
> snip
> >
> >A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
> >for it.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
> mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
> salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
> thanks
> Janet US

the stuff found here at deli counters is not a good potato salad. it tastes ok, but they mix it up with a mixer machine and the result is that there are some cubed potatoes in there, but some of the potatoes are mashed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 10:11:22 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 9:12:59 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:
> > snip
> > >
> > >A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
> > >for it.
> > >
> > >Cindy Hamilton

> > would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
> > mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
> > salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
> > everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
> > thanks
> > Janet US

> Potatoes, cubed and cooked
> Diced onion and celery
>
> Mayonnaise
> A little vinegar to thin
> A squirt of yellow mustard. Not too much.
> A little sugar to correct the tartness. Definitely not too much.
> Salt and pepper to taste
>
> My grandmother used Miracle Whip. She's why I don't have an actual
> recipe with quantities. I watched her make it so many times it's
> just instinct.
>
> Lately I've been mixing the dressing with the onion and celery before
> adding to the potatoes.
>
> My family always added sliced green olives, but I find nobody likes
> that but me so I don't add them anymore.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

i put a bit of chicken stock in mine. but then i like it a tad damp; damper than average.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-15 10:13 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 9:12:59 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote: snip
>>>
>>> A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no
>>> use for it.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please?
>> My mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot
>> potato salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at
>> regular, everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli
>> counters. thanks Janet US

> the stuff found here at deli counters is not a good potato salad. it
> tastes ok, but they mix it up with a mixer machine and the result is
> that there are some cubed potatoes in there, but some of the potatoes
> are mashed.

Not always. I was at a dinner a couple weeks ago and the food had been
ordered from the deli counter at a local grocery store. FWIW it is run
by an Italian family, though not an Italian grocery. The potatoes in the
potato salad were sliced and inconsistent sizes. I am not much of a fan
of potato salad but I usually try it anyway. This one was delicious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-15, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> I use yellow mustard when I make either port bbq or a smoked brisket as
> a glue to hole the rub on.

You been hitting the Crystal Palace, too?

> I don't know what it would do on an oven roasted brisket though.

The same thing. It essentially disappears.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
> for it.

Hot dogs for me along with chopped raw onions. Other things too
though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2019 9:12 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
> snip
>>
>> A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
>> for it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
> mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
> salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
> thanks
> Janet US

We always had the same simple recipe. Potatoes boil in their jacket,
then peeled and sliced while hot. Hard boiled egg or two. Chopped
celery, half a chopped onion, mayo, salt and pepper. Should be still
warm when you add the mayo and mix it all together.

Of course you can add whatever you'd like if that is too plain. A
little mustard or some sort of salad dressing, dill, whatever, but tray
it plain and add to a small portion to try.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 8:12:59 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
> thanks
> Janet US

Have you ever tried the Steak House Potato Salad recipe that was posted here
a couple of years ago by Melba's Jammin' I believe. To _me_ it is the best potato salad I've ever made or tasted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 07:11:17 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 9:12:59 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>> >
>> >A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
>> >for it.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
>> mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
>> salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
>> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
>> thanks
>> Janet US

>Potatoes, cubed and cooked

Potato salad is much better (more potato flavor) when the spuds are
first cooked and then diced/sliced.

>Diced onion and celery
>
>Mayonnaise
>A little vinegar to thin
>A squirt of yellow mustard. Not too much.
>A little sugar to correct the tartness. Definitely not too much.
>Salt and pepper to taste

I don't add vinegar, I add fresh squeezed lemon juice. I don't add
mustard or sugar. I add curly leaf parsely/minced, and sometimes
diced bell pepper for garmish, also some grated carrot.

>My grandmother used Miracle Whip. She's why I don't have an actual
>recipe with quantities. I watched her make it so many times it's
>just instinct.
>
>Lately I've been mixing the dressing with the onion and celery before
>adding to the potatoes.
>
>My family always added sliced green olives, but I find nobody likes
>that but me so I don't add them anymore.

I like olives but not in potato salad, and never onion!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 07:11:17 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 9:12:59 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>> >
>> >A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
>> >for it.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
>> mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
>> salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
>> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
>> thanks
>> Janet US

>Potatoes, cubed and cooked
>Diced onion and celery
>
>Mayonnaise
>A little vinegar to thin
>A squirt of yellow mustard. Not too much.
>A little sugar to correct the tartness. Definitely not too much.
>Salt and pepper to taste
>
>My grandmother used Miracle Whip. She's why I don't have an actual
>recipe with quantities. I watched her make it so many times it's
>just instinct.
>
>Lately I've been mixing the dressing with the onion and celery before
>adding to the potatoes.
>
>My family always added sliced green olives, but I find nobody likes
>that but me so I don't add them anymore.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

thanks a bunch. So, you cube then cook? I've been cooking whole
potatoes and then cubing. I bet you get more uniform doneness your
way. Do you dress the potatoes while still warm?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 07:13:13 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 9:12:59 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>> >
>> >A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
>> >for it.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
>> mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
>> salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
>> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
>> thanks
>> Janet US

>the stuff found here at deli counters is not a good potato salad. it tastes ok, but they mix it up with a mixer machine and the result is that there are some cubed potatoes in there, but some of the potatoes are mashed.

that's why I said 'use to find.' I agree, deli stuff isn't the same
anymore
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:15:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 3/15/2019 9:12 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> A dab of yellow mustard in potato salad. Otherwise I have no use
>>> for it.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
>> mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
>> salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
>> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
>> thanks
>> Janet US
>>

>We always had the same simple recipe. Potatoes boil in their jacket,
>then peeled and sliced while hot. Hard boiled egg or two. Chopped
>celery, half a chopped onion, mayo, salt and pepper. Should be still
>warm when you add the mayo and mix it all together.
>
>Of course you can add whatever you'd like if that is too plain. A
>little mustard or some sort of salad dressing, dill, whatever, but tray
>it plain and add to a small portion to try.

thank you
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:20:25 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 8:12:59 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
>> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
>> thanks
>> Janet US
>>

>Have you ever tried the Steak House Potato Salad recipe that was posted here
>a couple of years ago by Melba's Jammin' I believe. To _me_ it is the best potato salad I've ever made or tasted.

there are a bunch of steakhouse potato salad recipes on the 'Net, just
looked it up. It looks as though cheddar cheese is kind of a
signature component. Thanks for the suggestion
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 3:08:55 PM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 07:11:17 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 9:12:59 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:57:27 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> >> snip

> >> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
> >> mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
> >> salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
> >> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
> >> thanks
> >> Janet US

> >Potatoes, cubed and cooked
> >Diced onion and celery
> >
> >Mayonnaise
> >A little vinegar to thin
> >A squirt of yellow mustard. Not too much.
> >A little sugar to correct the tartness. Definitely not too much.
> >Salt and pepper to taste
> >
> >My grandmother used Miracle Whip. She's why I don't have an actual
> >recipe with quantities. I watched her make it so many times it's
> >just instinct.
> >
> >Lately I've been mixing the dressing with the onion and celery before
> >adding to the potatoes.
> >
> >My family always added sliced green olives, but I find nobody likes
> >that but me so I don't add them anymore.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> thanks a bunch. So, you cube then cook? I've been cooking whole
> potatoes and then cubing. I bet you get more uniform doneness your
> way.

Yes, and yes. I don't use russets.

> Do you dress the potatoes while still warm?
> Janet US

Yes, nowadays I do. I don't think my grandmother did.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 2:14:59 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:20:25 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Have you ever tried the Steak House Potato Salad recipe that was posted here
> >a couple of years ago by Melba's Jammin' I believe. To _me_ it is the best potato salad I've ever made or tasted.

> there are a bunch of steakhouse potato salad recipes on the 'Net, just
> looked it up. It looks as though cheddar cheese is kind of a
> signature component. Thanks for the suggestion
> Janet US

The one Melba shared did not have cheese of any sort in it. I dug out my
saved copy of her recipe.

Serving Size: 4 - 6

A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.

1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
tablespoon hot water

1/3 pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6)

1/2 heaping cup mayonnaise

1 heaping cup sour cream

3 large-ish green onions, sliced OR 1 shallot diced*

6-8 medium new red potatoes, scrubbed and boiled until tender

Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool. This ingredient is important to this dish, don't omit!

Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly until crisp
but not burned. Drain well and cool. OR place bacon strips on a baking
sheet and cook in the oven. Drain, cool, and chop.

While bacon is cooking, quarter the potatoes into bite size chunks in a bowl.

Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring together until
smooth. Stir in onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill several hours or overnight before
serving.

Adjust measurements as required, but that's about the right ratio of mayo to
sour cream.

*MY personal preference is a finely diced shallot. Very, very mild onion
flavor and no dragon breath the next day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
> mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
> salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
> thanks
> Janet US

I make what I like to call a loaded baked potato salad, goes like this:

3 Lb russet potatoes baked, cooled, then diced, skin on
1/2 dozen stalks of green onion, diced 1/4 inch
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup real bacon bits

Mix separately:

1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 squirt creole mustard or spicy brown mustard
dash of hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

I slowly pour the liquid onto the potato/bacon/cheese/green onion mix a little at a time, and toss carefully so as to not break up the potatoes, but I'm never really sure how much liquid is enough and I don't want too much liquid. But it's never really runny because the liquid is rather thick because of the sour cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:30:23 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 2:14:59 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:20:25 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Have you ever tried the Steak House Potato Salad recipe that was posted here
>> >a couple of years ago by Melba's Jammin' I believe. To _me_ it is the best potato salad I've ever made or tasted.

>> there are a bunch of steakhouse potato salad recipes on the 'Net, just
>> looked it up. It looks as though cheddar cheese is kind of a
>> signature component. Thanks for the suggestion
>> Janet US
>>

>The one Melba shared did not have cheese of any sort in it. I dug out my
>saved copy of her recipe.
>

>Serving Size: 4 - 6
>
>A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.
>
>1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
>tablespoon hot water
>
>1/3 pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6)
>
>1/2 heaping cup mayonnaise
>
>1 heaping cup sour cream
>
>3 large-ish green onions, sliced OR 1 shallot diced*
>
>6-8 medium new red potatoes, scrubbed and boiled until tender
>

>Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool. This ingredient is important to this dish, don't omit!
>
>Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly until crisp
>but not burned. Drain well and cool. OR place bacon strips on a baking
>sheet and cook in the oven. Drain, cool, and chop.
>
>While bacon is cooking, quarter the potatoes into bite size chunks in a bowl.
>
>Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring together until
>smooth. Stir in onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
>potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill several hours or overnight before
>serving.
>
>Adjust measurements as required, but that's about the right ratio of mayo to
>sour cream.
>
>*MY personal preference is a finely diced shallot. Very, very mild onion
>flavor and no dragon breath the next day.

Thanks for taking the time. Guess what? That recipe is very similar
to the one my mother made. I will have to try this variation.

mother's potato salad
red potatoes boiled, slice or cube
equal measures of sour cream, mayo and cottage cheese
green onions chopped
salt and pepper
milk or cream to thin dressing as desired

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 12:43:41 -0700 (PDT), Michael OConnor
> wrote:

>> would you list off the ingredients in your potato salad, please? My
>> mother made only one kind and everyone else made German hot potato
>> salad. I never feel comfortable with my attempts at regular,
>> everyday, U.S. potato salad like one used to find at deli counters.
>> thanks
>> Janet US

>I make what I like to call a loaded baked potato salad, goes like this:
>
>3 Lb russet potatoes baked, cooled, then diced, skin on
>1/2 dozen stalks of green onion, diced 1/4 inch
>1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
>1/4 cup real bacon bits
>
>Mix separately:
>
>1 cup sour cream
>1/4 cup mayo
>2 tablespoons vinegar
>1 tablespoon horseradish
>1 squirt creole mustard or spicy brown mustard
>dash of hot sauce
>1/2 teaspoon celery salt
>1/2 teaspoon pepper
>1/2 teaspoon salt
>
>I slowly pour the liquid onto the potato/bacon/cheese/green onion mix a little at a time, and toss carefully so as to not break up the potatoes, but I'm never really sure how much liquid is enough and I don't want too much liquid. But it's never really runny because the liquid is rather thick because of the sour cream.

that sounds good too. Copied and saved. Thank you
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 3:00:56 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time. Guess what? That recipe is very similar
> to the one my mother made. I will have to try this variation.

You're welcome!

> mother's potato salad
> red potatoes boiled, slice or cube
> equal measures of sour cream, mayo and cottage cheese
> green onions chopped
> salt and pepper
> milk or cream to thin dressing as desired
>
> Janet US

If and when you try this version, report back whether you like it or not,
please.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, U.S. Janet B.
> wrote:

> mother's potato salad
> red potatoes boiled, slice or cube
> equal measures of sour cream, mayo and cottage cheese
> green onions chopped
> salt and pepper
> milk or cream to thin dressing as desired

This is similar to the recipe Mom left me. She didn't use cottage
cheese, but she did use eggs. She mashed and mixed the egg yolks into
the sour cream-mayo for richness and added the whites to the potato
salad. The only other difference is she put in celery seed instead of
pepper.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2019 5:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> We always had the same simple recipe. Potatoes boil in their jacket,
> then peeled and sliced while hot. Hard boiled egg or two. Chopped
> celery, half a chopped onion, mayo, salt and pepper. Should be still
> warm when you add the mayo and mix it all together.
>
> Of course you can add whatever you'd like if that is too plain. A
> little mustard or some sort of salad dressing, dill, whatever, but tray
> it plain and add to a small portion to try.

Similar to my mother's, but no onion, and the celery was very finely
minced. Half mayo, half sour cream, with a pinch of dry mustard mixed
in. Salt and pepper, of course (always white pepper). Sometimes fresh
(never dried) parsley.
Everything but the potatoes is mixed up before peeling and dicing the
potatoes, so they are still as hot as possible before adding the dressing.

Corned beef Ophelia[_14_] General Cooking 258 10-08-2017 06:42 PM
Corned Beef Brooklyn1 General Cooking 39 14-03-2016 08:56 AM
Corned Beef vs Salt Beef (naval beef) Peter General Cooking 46 31-07-2006 04:03 PM
Corned Beef ? ~patches~ General Cooking 17 24-03-2006 09:43 PM
Corned beef David G. Barbecue 1 17-03-2005 03:13 AM