Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chicken Stock

Very strong (it was cooked very slowly for around 2 days (as I learned
here It is beautiful and smells heavenly.

I haven't made it for a very long time, but thanks to you all for
encouraging me)

What would you make with it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 18:45:12 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>Very strong (it was cooked very slowly for around 2 days (as I learned
>here It is beautiful and smells heavenly.
>
>I haven't made it for a very long time, but thanks to you all for
>encouraging me)
>
>What would you make with it?

Freeze it in ice cube trays and bag it for the freezer. Season
vegetables with it. Cook rice with it instead of using water. Make
any kind of soup you wish using the chicken stock as a base instead of
water. Drink it as a comforting warm-up on a chilly day.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Very strong (it was cooked very slowly for around 2 days (as I learned
>here It is beautiful and smells heavenly.
>
>I haven't made it for a very long time, but thanks to you all for
>encouraging me)
>
>What would you make with it?

Freeze it in ice cube trays and bag it for the freezer. Season
vegetables with it. Cook rice with it instead of using water. Make
any kind of soup you wish using the chicken stock as a base instead of
water. Drink it as a comforting warm-up on a chilly day.
Janet US

==

That sounds lovely)) Thanks very much )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 2:53:07 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 18:45:12 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
> >What would you make with it?
> >

> Freeze it in ice cube trays and bag it for the freezer. Season
> vegetables with it. Cook rice with it instead of using water. Make
> any kind of soup you wish using the chicken stock as a base instead of
> water. Drink it as a comforting warm-up on a chilly day.
> Janet US

It's not homemade but I have used store bought chicken stock and added it to
canned bean dishes for extra liquid in the dish and it works quite well. Adds
a bit of flavor, too. It would be wonderful as well, in chicken and dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 2:45:21 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> Very strong (it was cooked very slowly for around 2 days (as I learned
> here It is beautiful and smells heavenly.
>
> I haven't made it for a very long time, but thanks to you all for
> encouraging me)
>
> What would you make with it?

i use it in stews; hungarian goulash, paprikash, corn chowder, clam chowder, chicken noodle soup, stroganoff, chili, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2019 2:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> Very strong (it was cooked very slowly for around 2 days (as I learned
> hereÂ* It is beautiful and smells heavenly.
>
> I haven't made it for a very long time, but thanks to you all for
> encouraging me)
>
> What would you make with it?

I'm absolutely astonished you'd have to ask. As someone who claims to
cook from scratch all the time, surely you've made and found uses for
chicken or beef stock?

Others have suggested using it to simmer vegetables or add to rice
rather than water. Soup would be the first thing that would come to
mind. It's good for making gravy or sauces.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Very strong (it was cooked very slowly for around 2 days (as I learned
>here It is beautiful and smells heavenly.
>
>I haven't made it for a very long time, but thanks to you all for
>encouraging me)
>
>What would you make with it?

If the stock is strong enough to gel when cooled, it will make a fine
glaze for vegetables quickly saute'd. Asparagus, young green beans,
bok choy, and baby carrots come to mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--

Thank you)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Very strong (it was cooked very slowly for around 2 days (as I learned
>here It is beautiful and smells heavenly.
>
>I haven't made it for a very long time, but thanks to you all for
>encouraging me)
>
>What would you make with it?

If the stock is strong enough to gel when cooled, it will make a fine
glaze for vegetables quickly saute'd. Asparagus, young green beans,
bok choy, and baby carrots come to mind.

==

Sounds good, thank you Yes is is jelled. I just went to look in the
fridge)

Thank you very much B.Server)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> Freeze it in ice cube trays and bag it for the freezer.

I freeze mine in one-two cup lidded containers. Some of each.

> Season
> vegetables with it. Cook rice with it instead of using water. Make
> any kind of soup you wish using the chicken stock as a base instead of
> water. Drink it as a comforting warm-up on a chilly day.

I drink it occasionally on cold mornings. Didn't know anyone else
that has done that. For the hot drink, I will add a bit of
bouillon for a flavor boost. Chicken stock is a bit mild on it's
own. OTOH, turkey stock is very strong and tasty on it's own.

Also great for gravy - Make roux (with onions) then add chicken
stock rather than milk. And thicken a chicken based sauce using
cornstarch and add to say, stirfry. Great for making stuffing too
especially for those that don't cook the stuffing in a bird.

Anyway, you did get the most out of it by slow cooking for 2
days. I always did 24 hours until a few months ago. My 24 hours
were up but I discovered that my fridge was on the blink that
morning. Only way to save my stock was to let it keep on cooking
until I got the fridge fixed. That batch cooked for 48 hours and
was even better. That's what I shoot for now....at least 24 hours
and better for 48 hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: Ophelia (WAS Chicken Stock)

On 3/12/2019 2:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> Very strong (it was cooked very slowly for around 2 days (as I learned
> hereÂ* It is beautiful and smells heavenly.
>
> I haven't made it for a very long time, but thanks to you all for
> encouraging me)
>
> What would you make with it?

Think potato soup or potato-leek soup. I always start mine with chicken
stock or at least chicken broth rather than just plain water. The soup
tastes so much better that way.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> Freeze it in ice cube trays and bag it for the freezer.

I freeze mine in one-two cup lidded containers. Some of each.

> Season
> vegetables with it. Cook rice with it instead of using water. Make
> any kind of soup you wish using the chicken stock as a base instead of
> water. Drink it as a comforting warm-up on a chilly day.

I drink it occasionally on cold mornings. Didn't know anyone else
that has done that. For the hot drink, I will add a bit of
bouillon for a flavor boost. Chicken stock is a bit mild on it's
own. OTOH, turkey stock is very strong and tasty on it's own.

Also great for gravy - Make roux (with onions) then add chicken
stock rather than milk. And thicken a chicken based sauce using
cornstarch and add to say, stirfry. Great for making stuffing too
especially for those that don't cook the stuffing in a bird.

Anyway, you did get the most out of it by slow cooking for 2
days. I always did 24 hours until a few months ago. My 24 hours
were up but I discovered that my fridge was on the blink that
morning. Only way to save my stock was to let it keep on cooking
until I got the fridge fixed. That batch cooked for 48 hours and
was even better. That's what I shoot for now....at least 24 hours
and better for 48 hours.

==

Thanks)

I always cooked my stock for a couple of hours and used it for gravy or
stew.

I have never done it for 2 days before but (thanks to your advice) it is
wonderful. I wasn't sure what to do with it)

I will never now do it any other way)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:59:54 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/12/2019 2:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Very strong (it was cooked very slowly for around 2 days (as I learned
>> here* It is beautiful and smells heavenly.
>>
>> I haven't made it for a very long time, but thanks to you all for
>> encouraging me)
>>
>> What would you make with it?
>>

>Think potato soup or potato-leek soup. I always start mine with chicken
>stock or at least chicken broth rather than just plain water. The soup
>tastes so much better that way.
>
>Jill

Oh, that sounds so good for today. Maybe I'll do that instead of
stuffed shells. Or chowder, hmmm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ophelia (WAS Chicken Stock)

wrote:

>On 3/12/2019 2:45 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Very strong (it was cooked very slowly for around 2 days (as I learned
>> here It is beautiful and smells heavenly.
>>
>> I haven't made it for a very long time, but thanks to you all for
>> encouraging me)
>>
>> What would you make with it?
>>

>Think potato soup or potato-leek soup. I always start mine with chicken
>stock or at least chicken broth rather than just plain water. The soup
>tastes so much better that way.
>
>Jill

Oh, that sounds so good for today. Maybe I'll do that instead of
stuffed shells. Or chowder, hmmm
==

Yes, it sounds good
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 7:11:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Thanks)
>
> I always cooked my stock for a couple of hours and used it for gravy or
> stew.
>
> I have never done it for 2 days before but (thanks to your advice) it is
> wonderful. I wasn't sure what to do with it)
>
> I will never now do it any other way)

I have heard reports of people of people keeping a stockpot on the burner for a ridiculously long time. Mostly it's Asians that are doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFK...?v=EWFKEDuHT-o

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:57:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 7:11:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Thanks)
>>
>> I always cooked my stock for a couple of hours and used it for gravy or
>> stew.
>>
>> I have never done it for 2 days before but (thanks to your advice) it is
>> wonderful. I wasn't sure what to do with it)
>>
>> I will never now do it any other way)

>I have heard reports of people of people keeping a stockpot on the burner
>for a ridiculously long time.

Wow, a post by dsi1 without any reference to race.

>Mostly it's Asians that are doing it.

Oops, I spoke too soon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 7:11:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Thanks)
>
> I always cooked my stock for a couple of hours and used it for gravy or
> stew.
>
> I have never done it for 2 days before but (thanks to your advice) it is
> wonderful. I wasn't sure what to do with it)
>
> I will never now do it any other way)

I have heard reports of people of people keeping a stockpot on the burner
for a ridiculously long time. Mostly it's Asians that are doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFK...?v=EWFKEDuHT-o
==

SIXTY YEARS!!!!!!

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:57:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 7:11:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Thanks)
>>
>> I always cooked my stock for a couple of hours and used it for gravy or
>> stew.
>>
>> I have never done it for 2 days before but (thanks to your advice) it is
>> wonderful. I wasn't sure what to do with it)
>>
>> I will never now do it any other way)

>I have heard reports of people of people keeping a stockpot on the burner
>for a ridiculously long time.

Wow, a post by dsi1 without any reference to race.

>Mostly it's Asians that are doing it.

Oops, I spoke too soon.

==

Am I missing something?? Would it be racist so say a Dutch lad is cooking
something???

Pah, your'e just at it aren't Ya ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 19:31:16 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:57:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 7:11:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks)
>>>
>>> I always cooked my stock for a couple of hours and used it for gravy or
>>> stew.
>>>
>>> I have never done it for 2 days before but (thanks to your advice) it is
>>> wonderful. I wasn't sure what to do with it)
>>>
>>> I will never now do it any other way)

>>I have heard reports of people of people keeping a stockpot on the burner
>>for a ridiculously long time.

>Wow, a post by dsi1 without any reference to race.
>
>>Mostly it's Asians that are doing it.

>Oops, I spoke too soon.
>
>==
>
>Am I missing something?? Would it be racist so say a Dutch lad is cooking
>something???

No. But... a Dutch lad?

>Pah, your'e just at it aren't Ya ;p

How did you know?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:57:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 7:11:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks)
>>>
>>> I always cooked my stock for a couple of hours and used it for gravy or
>>> stew.
>>>
>>> I have never done it for 2 days before but (thanks to your advice) it is
>>> wonderful. I wasn't sure what to do with it)
>>>
>>> I will never now do it any other way)

>>I have heard reports of people of people keeping a stockpot on the burner
>>for a ridiculously long time.

>Wow, a post by dsi1 without any reference to race.
>
>>Mostly it's Asians that are doing it.

>Oops, I spoke too soon.
>
>==
>
>Am I missing something?? Would it be racist so say a Dutch lad is
>cooking
>something???

No. But... a Dutch lad?

>Pah, your'e just at it aren't Ya ;p

How did you know?

==

I reckon I have you figured out *probably*

So just watch it ... grrrrrrrrr

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 19:45:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 19:31:16 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:57:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>>>I have heard reports of people of people keeping a stockpot on the burner
>>>for a ridiculously long time.

>>Wow, a post by dsi1 without any reference to race.
>>
>>>Mostly it's Asians that are doing it.

>>Oops, I spoke too soon.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Am I missing something?? Would it be racist so say a Dutch lad is
>>cooking
>>something???

>No. But... a Dutch lad?
>
>>Pah, your'e just at it aren't Ya ;p

>How did you know?
>
>==
>
>I reckon I have you figured out *probably*
>
>So just watch it ... grrrrrrrrr

lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 19:17:26 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 19:58 13 Mar 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 19:45:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>>No. But... a Dutch lad?

>>>How did you know?
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>I reckon I have you figured out *probably*
>>>
>>>So just watch it ... grrrrrrrrr

>> lol

>Get a room, kids.

So why did you ask me about MesNews?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 21:57:18 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 19:34 14 Mar 2019, Bruce > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 19:17:26 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:

om...

>>>Get a room, kids.

>> So why did you ask me about MesNews?

>Is this you?

No. As a general rule, whenever I seem to have posted anything even
the slightest bit uncouth, you'll know it was an impostor.