Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default We're getting a new Albertsons with full service bar

We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
this here. How are the prices on stuff?
https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
or
http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 3:29:52 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> Janet US

Wow. Definitely bigger than anything in Ann Arbor. Congrats.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
this here. How are the prices on stuff?
https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
or
http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
Janet US

==

WOW!!! I don't think I have ever seen so much food in one shop)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Janet B. wrote:

> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> Janet US

The "bar in the grocery store" seems to be a "thing" nowadaze...just stopped in at my local Mariano's around 1:00 PM and the bar was *packed*...I'd guess the bar's alcohol is a "high - profit" part of the place, margins on food are pretty low.

And yeah, you are now in the "big city league" grocery - wise, so congrats...!!!

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Ophelia wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>

> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> Janet US
>
> ==
>
> WOW!!! I don't think I have ever seen so much food in one shop)

And wow, they even have that Canadian treat poutine, take a look...!!!

https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...f-wow#photo-32

And yeah, Ms. O., the size and scope of these newer places is pretty boggling...

Visited a local Aldi, even they are really going "posh" variety - wise (and still nice cheapo prices)...no bars, hot prepared foods and the like, but they've come a long way the last few years...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 12:45:59 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 3:29:52 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
>> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
>> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
>> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
>> Janet US

>Wow. Definitely bigger than anything in Ann Arbor. Congrats.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

"They" claim that we are the fastest growing city in America and also
3rd choice for retiring. That is not a good thing as far as I am
concerned. Now everyone wants to camp, RV, ATV, shoot, hunt, fish,
ski, etc. All the wonders of nature are now strictly regulated. Bah!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 2:29:52 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> Janet US

We had some really, really nice Albertson's here about 20 years ago and I
enjoyed shopping there. But they could not compete with Kroger, Publix,
and some local chains so they closed shop and left town. Same thing happened
with Winn-Dixie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 20:59:15 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
>you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
>this here. How are the prices on stuff?
>https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>WOW!!! I don't think I have ever seen so much food in one shop)

Frankly, neither have I.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"GM" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>

> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> Janet US
>
> ==
>
> WOW!!! I don't think I have ever seen so much food in one shop)

And wow, they even have that Canadian treat poutine, take a look...!!!

https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...f-wow#photo-32

And yeah, Ms. O., the size and scope of these newer places is pretty
boggling...

Visited a local Aldi, even they are really going "posh" variety - wise (and
still nice cheapo prices)...no bars, hot prepared foods and the like, but
they've come a long way the last few years...

Best
Greg
--

They will need to be in huge cities though to attract the thousands of
customers they will need!!

Yes, I noticed the Poutine counter Not something I have ever seen or
tried but I have heard about it here

I simply can't imagine shopping in anything that huge)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
>you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
>this here. How are the prices on stuff?
>https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>WOW!!! I don't think I have ever seen so much food in one shop)

Maybe it's because Americans eat more? I bet the supermarkets also
have wider doors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2019 3:29 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> Janet US

Wow! That's one heck of a supermarket! There was an Albertsons
(briefly) when I still lived in Memphis but it wasn't anything like that!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2019 4:18 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 20:59:15 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>>

>> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
>> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
>> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
>> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
>> Janet US
>>
>> ==
>>
>> WOW!!! I don't think I have ever seen so much food in one shop)

> Frankly, neither have I.

I've sure never seen a supermarket with a full service cocktail bar!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 13:29:44 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
>you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
>this here. How are the prices on stuff?
>https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
>Janet US

We have several Albertans here, I can walk to one and the other is
about 2.5 miles and another about 5 miles but none of them are that
big and there is no bar. There are several other grocery stores here
some have delis and you can sit down and eat in a few of them... There
is a whole foods that has a large deli and an entire area just for a
salad bar where you can sit down and eat, but all of the Albertans
around here are no where near the size of that one. It looks to be a 2
story building. Costco is big like that but they have TV's and
clothes... I know I dislike going to costco because I have to almost
walk a mile just to get the 2 or 3 things that I buy there...

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 23:15:34 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 22:37 8 Mar 2019, wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 13:29:44 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
>>>you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
>>>this here. How are the prices on stuff?
>>>https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...w-meridian-alb
>>>ertsons-is-the-largest-yet-and-its-all-kinds-of-wow#photo-1 or
>>>http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
>>>Janet US

>> We have several Albertans here, I can walk to one and the other is
>> about 2.5 miles and another about 5 miles but none of them are that
>> big and there is no bar. There are several other grocery stores here
>> some have delis and you can sit down and eat in a few of them... There
>> is a whole foods that has a large deli and an entire area just for a
>> salad bar where you can sit down and eat, but all of the Albertans
>> around here are no where near the size of that one. It looks to be a 2
>> story building. Costco is big like that but they have TV's and
>> clothes... I know I dislike going to costco because I have to almost
>> walk a mile just to get the 2 or 3 things that I buy there...
>>
>> --

>What's an "Albertan"? You mentioned it twice. Just wondering.

That is how the spell checker thinks albertsons is spelled. Could you
not figure that out for yourself or did you just want to be petty.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> Janet US

AFAIK, none of our market sell liquor. I believe Boise used to be
Albertson's headquarters. I don't care for Albertson's much. We shopped
there mainly for sale items only when I was a kid. Other stores had better
prices. My mom refused to by meat there. Now I know why! It is not good
unless you stick to prepackaged, name brand stuff like Foster Farm's, grass
fed organic ground beef or a ham steak. But those things can be purchased
elsewhere for a lot less money. I do go there for cat grass and their brand
of cottage cheese when on sale. If I need a few more items, I might get them
there so I don't have to go to two stores. I would never do a full grocery
shop there. Winco and the Walmart food center are much cheaper. I also go to
TJ's or Sprouts for a few specific things that I can't get elsewhere.

I spent a lot of time walking through the Clearview Albertsons when the
dance studio was located there. I know that store well. I mainly walked up
and down the aisles to give me something to do. Particularly if the studio
was teeming with wild, younger siblings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2019 4:18 PM, wrote:
> On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 2:29:52 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
>> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
>> this here. How are the prices on stuff?

https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
>> Janet US
>>

> We had some really, really nice Albertson's here about 20 years ago and I
> enjoyed shopping there. But they could not compete with Kroger, Publix,
> and some local chains so they closed shop and left town. Same thing happened
> with Winn-Dixie.

At first glance, it reminded me of Wegman's. But the more I looked,
they topped them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2019 4:18 PM, wrote:
> On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 2:29:52 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
>> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
>> this here. How are the prices on stuff?

https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
>> Janet US
>>

> We had some really, really nice Albertson's here about 20 years ago and I
> enjoyed shopping there. But they could not compete with Kroger, Publix,
> and some local chains so they closed shop and left town. Same thing happened
> with Winn-Dixie.

The same thing happened with Albertson's in Memphis. A family owned
"chain" (Seessel's) sold out and Albertson's came in. It was a very
nice store but soon enough sold out to Schnuck's. I'm sure Kroger is
still around but I don't know what other grocery stores are in that area
now.

This Albertson's looks a lot like the Publix where I shop now except
Publix doesn't have a cocktail lounge or a Starbuck's. There is a
Hallmark Card shop, does that count?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 11:52:42 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 00:19 9 Mar 2019, wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 23:15:34 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>>What's an "Albertan"? You mentioned it twice. Just wondering.

>> That is how the spell checker thinks albertsons is spelled. Could you
>> not figure that out for yourself or did you just want to be petty.

>You recently got "capital" and "capitol" mixed up. Why don't you learn to
>spell if you can't use the spell checker properly?

Yup you just want to be petty. You want to correct someone so that you
can just feel as though you are more intelligent or otherwise morally
superior to another person....

Ya know I think they have a name for people that do stuff like that...
and I do believe it is directly linked to low self esteem. Yeah you
may want to have that looked at. And Ms. anderson while we are at it,
with the lack of self esteem stuff, here is something that will lower
your self esteem a bit more....

My cousin was with tommy lee before you were....

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 10:29:52 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> Janet US

Those stores are just great. They are like a fantasy wonderland of beautiful food on display in a carnival atmosphere. They are pretty much following the Whole Foods model in terms of lighting and floor layout. Part of the floor space is reserved for food preparation with dining areas. I don't know a thing about the stores on the mainland but if they're anything like the ones over here, the foods are sold at a premium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgY0tguzDnk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 16:34:53 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 16:11 9 Mar 2019, wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 11:52:42 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>>You recently got "capital" and "capitol" mixed up. Why don't you learn
>>>to spell if you can't use the spell checker properly?
>>>

>> Yup you just want to be petty. You want to correct someone so that you
>> can just feel as though you are more intelligent or otherwise morally
>> superior to another person....
>>
>> Ya know I think they have a name for people that do stuff like that...
>> and I do believe it is directly linked to low self esteem. Yeah you may
>> want to have that looked at. And Ms. anderson while we are at it, with
>> the lack of self esteem stuff, here is something that will lower your
>> self esteem a bit more....
>>
>> My cousin was with tommy lee before you were....

>CK, it's your own exaggerated emphasis on punctiliousness which makes your
>own errors stand out. It may have started out as your troll but it ended
>up catching yourself out. Sorry about that.
>
>When your spell checker suggests "Albertan", why can you not see it is
>different to what you intend which is presumably "Albertson"?

because when I do spell checker, often dont even look at what it is
suggestion I just click change... This is usenet, this is an informal
posting bulletin board. Punctuation and misspelled words, improper use
of caps, incorrect grammar, and dumb people does not really matter
here.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 10:29:52 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> Janet US

Those stores are just great. They are like a fantasy wonderland of beautiful
food on display in a carnival atmosphere. They are pretty much following the
Whole Foods model in terms of lighting and floor layout. Part of the floor
space is reserved for food preparation with dining areas. I don't know a
thing about the stores on the mainland but if they're anything like the ones
over here, the foods are sold at a premium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgY0tguzDnk

==

Thanks Now I know what 'poke' is)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 9:07:29 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 10:29:52 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> > you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> > this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> > https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> > or
> > http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> > Janet US

> Those stores are just great. They are like a fantasy wonderland of beautiful
> food on display in a carnival atmosphere. They are pretty much following the
> Whole Foods model in terms of lighting and floor layout. Part of the floor
> space is reserved for food preparation with dining areas. I don't know a
> thing about the stores on the mainland but if they're anything like the ones
> over here, the foods are sold at a premium.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgY0tguzDnk
>
> ==
>
> Thanks Now I know what 'poke' is)

The strange part about poke is that the kids on the mainland just go crazy for this raw fish dish. My niece, who lives in a small town in California says that there's three poke shops in town. Two are great, one so-so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 9:07:29 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 10:29:52 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> > you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> > this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> > https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> > or
> > http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> > Janet US

> Those stores are just great. They are like a fantasy wonderland of
> beautiful
> food on display in a carnival atmosphere. They are pretty much following
> the
> Whole Foods model in terms of lighting and floor layout. Part of the floor
> space is reserved for food preparation with dining areas. I don't know a
> thing about the stores on the mainland but if they're anything like the
> ones
> over here, the foods are sold at a premium.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgY0tguzDnk
>
> ==
>
> Thanks Now I know what 'poke' is)

The strange part about poke is that the kids on the mainland just go crazy
for this raw fish dish. My niece, who lives in a small town in California
says that there's three poke shops in town. Two are great, one so-so.

==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 1:44:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> because when I do spell checker, often dont even look at what it is
> suggestion I just click change... This is usenet, this is an informal
> posting bulletin board. Punctuation and misspelled words, improper use
> of caps, incorrect grammar, and dumb people does not really matter
> here.

What you're telling us here is that you're dumber than a spellchecker
and you don't care if people understand what you write.

The latter is not a bad strategy, since about half of what you write
is complete bullshit.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pamela wrote:
> My newsreader doesn't have a spellchecker so all my misspellings are my very
> own!

This old newsreader has a spellchecker but it's pretty stupid.
I often have to tell it to learn a new word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-10 12:26 p.m., Gary wrote:
> Pamela wrote:
>> My newsreader doesn't have a spellchecker so all my misspellings are my very
>> own!

> This old newsreader has a spellchecker but it's pretty stupid.
> I often have to tell it to learn a new word.

I touch type and make a lot of typos and I have trouble editing on the
computer monitor. Some of those errors slide through the spellchecker,
but some that show up are because of the differences in American and
real English spelling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-10 10:47 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-10 12:26 p.m., Gary wrote:
>> Pamela wrote:
>>> My newsreader doesn't have a spellchecker so all my misspellings are
>>> my very
>>> own!

>> This old newsreader has a spellchecker but it's pretty stupid.
>> I often have to tell it to learn a new word.
>>

> I touch type and make a lot of typos and I have trouble editing on the
> computer monitor.Â* Some of those errors slide through the spellchecker,
> but some that show up are because of the differences in American and
> real English spelling.

It's a pity that the spell-checkers in common use can't tell when to use
"take" instead of "bring" or correct such howlers as "very unique" or
"new innovation".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 11:26:42 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Pamela wrote:
>> My newsreader doesn't have a spellchecker so all my misspellings are my very
>> own!

>This old newsreader has a spellchecker but it's pretty stupid.
>I often have to tell it to learn a new word.

Lol, have you ever seen a spell checker that knows all your words
already? Huh huh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 12:47:59 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-03-10 12:26 p.m., Gary wrote:
>> Pamela wrote:
>>> My newsreader doesn't have a spellchecker so all my misspellings are my very
>>> own!

>> This old newsreader has a spellchecker but it's pretty stupid.
>> I often have to tell it to learn a new word.
>>

>I touch type and make a lot of typos and I have trouble editing on the
>computer monitor. Some of those errors slide through the spellchecker,
>but some that show up are because of the differences in American and
>real English spelling.

Little stab well noted, Dave Smith!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 14:47:37 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>On 18:44 9 Mar 2019, wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 16:34:53 GMT, Pamela >
>> wrote:

>>>CK, it's your own exaggerated emphasis on punctiliousness which makes
>>>your own errors stand out. It may have started out as your troll but it
>>>ended up catching yourself out. Sorry about that.
>>>
>>>When your spell checker suggests "Albertan", why can you not see it is
>>>different to what you intend which is presumably "Albertson"?

>> because when I do spell checker, often dont even look at what it is
>> suggestion I just click change... This is usenet, this is an informal
>> posting bulletin board. Punctuation and misspelled words, improper use
>> of caps, incorrect grammar, and dumb people does not really matter here.

>True enough but it doesn't explain why you posted two intemperate replies
>full of false justification for the use of "capitol" instead of the
>correct word "capital". What was the purpose of all that?
>
>That's not explained by the informal nature of Usenet.

Hold on to your seats. "Pamela" is getting to the bottom of this case!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 8:43:41 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> On 2019-03-10 10:47 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> This old newsreader has a spellchecker but it's pretty stupid.
> >> I often have to tell it to learn a new word.
> >>

> > I touch type and make a lot of typos and I have trouble editing on the
> > computer monitor.Â* Some of those errors slide through the spellchecker,
> > but some that show up are because of the differences in American and
> > real English spelling.

> It's a pity that the spell-checkers in common use can't tell when to use
> "take" instead of "bring" or correct such howlers as "very unique" or
> "new innovation".

Spell checkers that also check grammar? I use the Google product but it's likely that most text systems will have these in the future. You still have to have some wits about you in order for it to work. It's fairly obvious that some posters care little about grammar or spelling or even remaining in the realm of the logical. That's what makes Usenet and the internet so much fun!

In the future, most written words will be finished and refined by AI. That's no fun because it won't be a human product. I don't mind my foods not being natural but prose should always be organic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 13:29:44 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> Janet US

We have stores with all of the features, but not all in one store.
No hard alcohol sales in stores, but we do have wine bars and beer,
plus all the prepared and cooked to order stations. $14/lb for
brisket at a restaurant is lower than anything around here, but we
have top-o-the-line smoked brisket here. Good price for roast beef
(we pay $12-14 here lately). Are those fish balls or mochi?

Nothing there we don't have, but not all under one roof. Whole
Foods an Central Market come pretty close, though. Excpect those to
be "introductory prices" that will start rising gradually but
consistently. It's very hard to run stores like this efficiently
and profitably. but overall that looks like a pretty score - "the
largest Albertson's ever" - for a Podunk.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 00:02:31 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 13:29:44 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
>> you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
>> this here. How are the prices on stuff?
>> https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
>> Janet US

>We have stores with all of the features, but not all in one store.
>No hard alcohol sales in stores, but we do have wine bars and beer,
>plus all the prepared and cooked to order stations. $14/lb for
>brisket at a restaurant is lower than anything around here, but we
>have top-o-the-line smoked brisket here. Good price for roast beef
>(we pay $12-14 here lately). Are those fish balls or mochi?
>
>Nothing there we don't have, but not all under one roof. Whole
>Foods an Central Market come pretty close, though. Excpect those to
>be "introductory prices" that will start rising gradually but
>consistently. It's very hard to run stores like this efficiently
>and profitably. but overall that looks like a pretty score - "the
>largest Albertson's ever" - for a Podunk.
>
>-sw

We don't do hard alcohol sales here anywhere but the state owned
liquor stores. What this Albertsons has is a bar. Surprising because
I wouldn't have thought that would get past our ultra conservative
busy bodies. We have some of the features in another new Albertsons
that was opened last year in our city proper. It is disconcerting to
shop there because the layout doesn't follow traditional supermarket
layout. I suppose that's why I avoid Whole Foods.
As to fish balls or mochi, I haven't a clue. I guess I'll find out
when I go to the store. The store is really out of my travel and
access pattern and I'll wait until the hubbub dies down.
Thanks for telling me about stores in bigger communities.
You didn't put a smiley after Podunk ;-(
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2019 2:43 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2019-03-10 10:47 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> This old newsreader has a spellchecker but it's pretty stupid.
>>> I often have to tell it to learn a new word.
>>>

>> I touch type and make a lot of typos and I have trouble editing on the
>> computer monitor.Â* Some of those errors slide through the
>> spellchecker, but some that show up are because of the differences in
>> American and real English spelling.

> It's a pity that the spell-checkers in common use can't tell when to use
> "take" instead of "bring" or correct such howlers as "very unique" or
> "new innovation".

They can't avoid poor syntax or misused words, they just correct
spelling errors (kind of).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 3:08:03 PM UTC-6, GM wrote:
> Janet B. wrote:
>
> > We're pretty much hicks out here. Is this the kind of supermarkets
> > you have in the "big" cities? Take the tour. We have nothing like
> > this here. How are the prices on stuff?
> > https://idahonews.com/news/photo-gal...of-wow#photo-1
> > or
> > http://tinyurl.com/yxj76755
> > Janet US

> The "bar in the grocery store" seems to be a "thing" nowadaze...just stopped in at my local Mariano's around 1:00 PM and the bar was *packed*...I'd guess the bar's alcohol is a "high - profit" part of the place, margins on food are pretty low.
>
> And yeah, you are now in the "big city league" grocery - wise, so congrats...!!!

The local Albertson's brand, Jewels, returned self-checkout registers after dropping them 2 years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 11:49:38 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 00:02:31 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 13:29:44 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> We're pretty much hicks out here.
>>>

>> but overall that looks like a pretty score - "the largest
>> Albertson's ever" - for a Podunk.

> You didn't put a smiley after Podunk ;-(

You opened the door by saying "here in the sticks".

OK, I guess I misread that part. But still..... ;-)

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 23:35:53 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 11:49:38 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 00:02:31 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> but overall that looks like a pretty score - "the largest
>>> Albertson's ever" - for a Podunk.

>> You didn't put a smiley after Podunk ;-(

>You opened the door by saying "here in the sticks".
>
>OK, I guess I misread that part. But still..... ;-)
>
>-sw

Just teasing . . . I got it.