Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default hot pockets (TM) VERDICT

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 16:49:13 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:

> I bought the ham and cheese hot pockets this weekend and tried them
> with my kids. Actually one of my kids wouldn't even touch them. I cooked
> them in the oven because I was making baked potatoes anyway. I'm not
> sure how you can screw up ham and cheese but they taste like plastic.
> The pastry was okay - it was the "flaky croissant crust" version. I could
> only eat three bites. The kid who was brave enough to try them could only
> eat two bites. The rest got composted.
>
> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/hotpockets.jpg

I had to read the first 1/3rd of those ingredients 3 times, and I
still fail to see any pork in that "ham" other than "dehydrated pork
broth".

And then I couldn't tell where the "cheese" ended. Has anybody
every tried to un-nest all those parenthesis and brackets?

I didn't like them 34 years ago, haven't had any since, and I kinda
doubt they've gotten even better.

Igor's Beef and Cheese Piroshski were my thing. They were a
Northern California food, even sold in bulk at Price Club and Costco
for 4-5 years. Until Ore-Ida bought them and buried them.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lid writes:
>On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 16:49:13 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> I bought the ham and cheese hot pockets this weekend and tried them
>> with my kids. Actually one of my kids wouldn't even touch them. I cooked
>> them in the oven because I was making baked potatoes anyway. I'm not
>> sure how you can screw up ham and cheese but they taste like plastic.
>> The pastry was okay - it was the "flaky croissant crust" version. I could
>> only eat three bites. The kid who was brave enough to try them could only
>> eat two bites. The rest got composted.

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/hotpockets.jpg

>I had to read the first 1/3rd of those ingredients 3 times, and I
>still fail to see any pork in that "ham" other than "dehydrated pork
>broth".

in third place after "enriched flour" and "water" comes "fully cooked
ham and water product" - what's in the parens starts with "cured with.."
and includes the dehydrated pork broth - which just sounds weird no
matter what

>And then I couldn't tell where the "cheese" ended.

it ends right before the palm oil

what I want to know is, what does "ingredients not in regular cheddar
cheese" mean here?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>>I bought them once many years ago. Nobody liked them. Perhaps a year or
>>>so
>>>ago I bought the breakfast ones with eggs inside. They were on sale for
>>>cheap. Again, nobody liked them. I actually don't know anyone who likes
>>>them. Who eats these things?
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Tert's sister? ;p

>>and others have confessed elsewhere in the thread
>>
>>I don't usually go down that aisle in the grocery store so I may forget
>>to buy some unless I put them on my list
>>
>>==
>>
>>) if you enjoy them, why not? )

> I bought the ham and cheese hot pockets this weekend and tried them
> with my kids. Actually one of my kids wouldn't even touch them. I cooked
> them in the oven because I was making baked potatoes anyway. I'm not
> sure how you can screw up ham and cheese but they taste like plastic.
> The pastry was okay - it was the "flaky croissant crust" version. I could
> only eat three bites. The kid who was brave enough to try them could only
> eat two bites. The rest got composted.

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/hotpockets.jpg

Ayup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>"tert in seattle" wrote in message ...
>

>>) if you enjoy them, why not? )

>I bought the ham and cheese hot pockets this weekend and tried them
>with my kids. Actually one of my kids wouldn't even touch them. I cooked
>them in the oven because I was making baked potatoes anyway. I'm not
>sure how you can screw up ham and cheese but they taste like plastic.
>The pastry was okay - it was the "flaky croissant crust" version. I could
>only eat three bites. The kid who was brave enough to try them could only
>eat two bites. The rest got composted.

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/hotpockets.jpg

>==
>
>Oh, that's a shame The idea of them sounds so good!!!
>
>I suppose with a nice pastry with good cheese and ham, they would be really
>nice.
>
>You could make your own and show everyone what they could be!

yes, an actual ham and cheese croissant would be just the thing

==

Oh yes I just don't see why that wouldn't taste as good in a 'pocket',
that is if the 'pocket' tasted good too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default hot pockets (TM)

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 1:20:04 PM UTC-5, tert in seattle wrote:
> technically hot pockets are on topic because they need to be microwaved
>
> I am only very recently woke to hot pockets because I was reading an
> interview with Jim Gaffigan and they had a youtube video of his hot pockets
> routine embedded in the article
>
> I asked my sister if she every tried them and she said they're good
>
> but Jim Gaffigan describes them as "let's take a pop tart and fill it
> with some nasty meat"
>
> and "they make vegetarian hot pockets for people who don't eat meat
> but still want the diarrhea"
>
> so I'm just looking for other reviews here but I'm afraid I'll have
> to try them myself because I'm really curious now
>
> my sister says she likes the cheese hot pockets

When I was a kid we had old english black breasted red game bantams.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I posted this in the egg thread
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Oh yes I just don't see why that wouldn't taste as good in a 'pocket',
> that is if the 'pocket' tasted good too.

Definitely. I had the chicken, broccoli, and cheese one.
I'm thinking to make that in a pita pocket.
Might be good but maybe a crust for a meat pie
might be a better choice.

Same with ham and cheese next time I cook a ham.
(It's been a few years since I cooked a ham)

Do you ever cook meat pies? What do you use?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> Oh yes I just don't see why that wouldn't taste as good in a 'pocket',
> that is if the 'pocket' tasted good too.

Definitely. I had the chicken, broccoli, and cheese one.
I'm thinking to make that in a pita pocket.
Might be good but maybe a crust for a meat pie
might be a better choice.

Same with ham and cheese next time I cook a ham.
(It's been a few years since I cooked a ham)

Do you ever cook meat pies? What do you use?

==

I always make Rough Puff Pastry

Simple really. I mix chunks of butter (or lard) into flour and salt.
Knead it a bit then turn it out and do the same folding thing you use for
puff pastry.

I allow it to rest in the fridge and roll it out I like it much better
than Puff pastry.

It work great for pasties or whatever you call yours oh and it's good for
stuff like sausage rolls.

You know, that type of thing. It's great as a topping for meat etc pies too
)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 06:16:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I posted this in the egg thread

You could have fooled me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/2019 10:51 AM, Gary wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Oh yes I just don't see why that wouldn't taste as good in a 'pocket',
>> that is if the 'pocket' tasted good too.

> Definitely. I had the chicken, broccoli, and cheese one.
> I'm thinking to make that in a pita pocket.
> Might be good but maybe a crust for a meat pie
> might be a better choice.
>
> Same with ham and cheese next time I cook a ham.
> (It's been a few years since I cooked a ham)
>
> Do you ever cook meat pies? What do you use?

She undoubtedly makes her own crust if she makes steak and kidney pie.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Oh yes I just don't see why that wouldn't taste as good in a 'pocket',
>> that is if the 'pocket' tasted good too.

>Definitely. I had the chicken, broccoli, and cheese one.
>I'm thinking to make that in a pita pocket.
>Might be good but maybe a crust for a meat pie
>might be a better choice.
>
>Same with ham and cheese next time I cook a ham.
>(It's been a few years since I cooked a ham)
>
>Do you ever cook meat pies? What do you use?
>
>==
>
>I always make Rough Puff Pastry
>
>Simple really. I mix chunks of butter (or lard) into flour and salt.
>Knead it a bit then turn it out and do the same folding thing you use for
>puff pastry.
>
>I allow it to rest in the fridge and roll it out I like it much better
>than Puff pastry.
>
>It work great for pasties or whatever you call yours oh and it's good for
>stuff like sausage rolls.
>
>You know, that type of thing. It's great as a topping for meat etc pies
>too
>)

is it "rough" because you mix the butter in with the flour and salt rather
than fold it in to the dough?

==

I suppose so. It is much easier and faster too)) I haven't made real
puff pastry for eons.

I started making rough puff in my early 20s and I am still doing so)

I still have my Bero book, but it is just about falling to bits <g>

This is mine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192850355084?chn=ps

Bero Rough Puff Pastry

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/Be-Ro/media/d...te_recipes.pdf

Ingredients
225 g (8 oz) Be-Ro Plain Flour
a pinch of salt
100 ml (4 fl oz) water
150 g (5 oz) lard and margarine, mixed
cold water to mix

Preparation Instructions
1. Mix flour and salt, add fat cut into small pieces.
2. Stir in with a knife (do not rub in). Mix to a stiff dough with water.
3. Roll out on a floured surface to a narrow strip.
4. Fold in three, give a quarter turn so one of the open ends is towards you
and roll out again. Do this
three times in all.
5. Cover pastry and leave to rest (about 15 minutes) then roll into desired
shape.
6. In hot weather allow pastry to rest for 20-30 minutes in a refrigerator
or cool place before use.
NB: Always take care to roll away from you and do not break the air bubbles
that will rise.

I use butter or lard, it tastes better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 8:24:19 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "tert in seattle" wrote in message ...
>
> writes:
> >

> >"Gary" wrote in message ...
> >
> >Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh yes I just don't see why that wouldn't taste as good in a 'pocket',
> >> that is if the 'pocket' tasted good too.

> >Definitely. I had the chicken, broccoli, and cheese one.
> >I'm thinking to make that in a pita pocket.
> >Might be good but maybe a crust for a meat pie
> >might be a better choice.
> >
> >Same with ham and cheese next time I cook a ham.
> >(It's been a few years since I cooked a ham)
> >
> >Do you ever cook meat pies? What do you use?
> >
> >==
> >
> >I always make Rough Puff Pastry
> >
> >Simple really. I mix chunks of butter (or lard) into flour and salt.
> >Knead it a bit then turn it out and do the same folding thing you use for
> >puff pastry.
> >
> >I allow it to rest in the fridge and roll it out I like it much better
> >than Puff pastry.
> >
> >It work great for pasties or whatever you call yours oh and it's good for
> >stuff like sausage rolls.
> >
> >You know, that type of thing. It's great as a topping for meat etc pies
> >too
> >)

> is it "rough" because you mix the butter in with the flour and salt rather
> than fold it in to the dough?
>
> ==
>
> I suppose so. It is much easier and faster too)) I haven't made real
> puff pastry for eons.
>
> I started making rough puff in my early 20s and I am still doing so)
>
> I still have my Bero book, but it is just about falling to bits <g>
>
> This is mine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192850355084?chn=ps

> Bero Rough Puff Pastry
>
> http://www.be-ro.co.uk/Be-Ro/media/d...te_recipes.pdf
>
> Ingredients
> 225 g (8 oz) Be-Ro Plain Flour
> a pinch of salt
> 100 ml (4 fl oz) water
> 150 g (5 oz) lard and margarine, mixed
> cold water to mix
>
> Preparation Instructions
> 1. Mix flour and salt, add fat cut into small pieces.
> 2. Stir in with a knife (do not rub in). Mix to a stiff dough with water.
> 3. Roll out on a floured surface to a narrow strip.
> 4. Fold in three, give a quarter turn so one of the open ends is towards you
> and roll out again. Do this
> three times in all.
> 5. Cover pastry and leave to rest (about 15 minutes) then roll into desired
> shape.
> 6. In hot weather allow pastry to rest for 20-30 minutes in a refrigerator
> or cool place before use.
> NB: Always take care to roll away from you and do not break the air bubbles
> that will rise.
>
> I use butter or lard, it tastes better.

That's some interesting stuff. I like books which are primers of the basics of cooking. Most Americans are unfamiliar with rough pastry. The usual suspcts of rfc will deny that truth vigorously but that's just what they do. Anyway, thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> [...]

> 4. Fold in three, give a quarter turn so one of the open ends is towards
> you
> and roll out again. Do this
> three times in all.
> 5. Cover pastry and leave to rest (about 15 minutes) then roll into
> desired
> shape.
> 6. In hot weather allow pastry to rest for 20-30 minutes in a refrigerator
> or cool place before use.
> NB: Always take care to roll away from you and do not break the air
> bubbles
> that will rise.
>
> I use butter or lard, it tastes better.

That's some interesting stuff. I like books which are primers of the basics
of cooking. Most Americans are unfamiliar with rough pastry. The usual
suspcts of rfc will deny that truth vigorously but that's just what they do.

You are very welcome) I had never expected anyone else here would be
interested

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 11:41:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 8:24:19 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "tert in seattle" wrote in message ...
>>
>> writes:

>> >Definitely. I had the chicken, broccoli, and cheese one.
>> >I'm thinking to make that in a pita pocket.
>> >Might be good but maybe a crust for a meat pie
>> >might be a better choice.
>> >
>> >Same with ham and cheese next time I cook a ham.
>> >(It's been a few years since I cooked a ham)
>> >
>> >Do you ever cook meat pies? What do you use?
>> >
>> >==
>> >
>> >I always make Rough Puff Pastry
>> >
>> >Simple really. I mix chunks of butter (or lard) into flour and salt.
>> >Knead it a bit then turn it out and do the same folding thing you use for
>> >puff pastry.
>> >
>> >I allow it to rest in the fridge and roll it out I like it much better
>> >than Puff pastry.
>> >
>> >It work great for pasties or whatever you call yours oh and it's good for
>> >stuff like sausage rolls.
>> >
>> >You know, that type of thing. It's great as a topping for meat etc pies
>> >too
>> >)

>> is it "rough" because you mix the butter in with the flour and salt rather
>> than fold it in to the dough?
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I suppose so. It is much easier and faster too)) I haven't made real
>> puff pastry for eons.
>>
>> I started making rough puff in my early 20s and I am still doing so)
>>
>> I still have my Bero book, but it is just about falling to bits <g>
>>
>> This is mine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192850355084?chn=ps

>> Bero Rough Puff Pastry
>>
>> http://www.be-ro.co.uk/Be-Ro/media/d...te_recipes.pdf
>>
>> Ingredients
>> 225 g (8 oz) Be-Ro Plain Flour
>> a pinch of salt
>> 100 ml (4 fl oz) water
>> 150 g (5 oz) lard and margarine, mixed
>> cold water to mix
>>
>> Preparation Instructions
>> 1. Mix flour and salt, add fat cut into small pieces.
>> 2. Stir in with a knife (do not rub in). Mix to a stiff dough with water.
>> 3. Roll out on a floured surface to a narrow strip.
>> 4. Fold in three, give a quarter turn so one of the open ends is towards you
>> and roll out again. Do this
>> three times in all.
>> 5. Cover pastry and leave to rest (about 15 minutes) then roll into desired
>> shape.
>> 6. In hot weather allow pastry to rest for 20-30 minutes in a refrigerator
>> or cool place before use.
>> NB: Always take care to roll away from you and do not break the air bubbles
>> that will rise.
>>
>> I use butter or lard, it tastes better.

>That's some interesting stuff. I like books which are primers of the basics of cooking. Most Americans are unfamiliar with rough pastry. The usual suspcts of rfc will deny that truth vigorously but that's just what they do. Anyway, thanks!

You'd get into less trouble if you limited your blanket statements to
Hawaiians, them being people that you actually know well. Unless you
like trouble, of course. Then everything goes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019, tert in seattle wrote:

> technically hot pockets are on topic because they need to be microwaved
>
> I am only very recently woke to hot pockets because I was reading an
> interview with Jim Gaffigan and they had a youtube video of his hot pockets
> routine embedded in the article
>
> I asked my sister if she every tried them and she said they're good
>
> but Jim Gaffigan describes them as "let's take a pop tart and fill it
> with some nasty meat"
>
> and "they make vegetarian hot pockets for people who don't eat meat
> but still want the diarrhea"
>
> so I'm just looking for other reviews here but I'm afraid I'll have
> to try them myself because I'm really curious now
>
> my sister says she likes the cheese hot pockets

I would rate them "meh".

Tasty enough, and easy enough, but nothing I'd buy on a routine basis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 9:00:03 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> You are very welcome) I had never expected anyone else here would be
> interested

I will check out the rough pastry, it looks like it could be interesting. I'll try making a French style tart with it. That should work, right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 9:07:14 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 11:41:38 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 8:24:19 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> >> is it "rough" because you mix the butter in with the flour and salt rather
> >> than fold it in to the dough?
> >>
> >> ==
> >>
> >> I suppose so. It is much easier and faster too)) I haven't made real
> >> puff pastry for eons.
> >>
> >> I started making rough puff in my early 20s and I am still doing so)
> >>
> >> I still have my Bero book, but it is just about falling to bits <g>
> >>
> >> This is mine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192850355084?chn=ps

> >> Bero Rough Puff Pastry
> >>
> >> http://www.be-ro.co.uk/Be-Ro/media/d...te_recipes.pdf
> >>
> >> Ingredients
> >> 225 g (8 oz) Be-Ro Plain Flour
> >> a pinch of salt
> >> 100 ml (4 fl oz) water
> >> 150 g (5 oz) lard and margarine, mixed
> >> cold water to mix
> >>
> >> Preparation Instructions
> >> 1. Mix flour and salt, add fat cut into small pieces.
> >> 2. Stir in with a knife (do not rub in). Mix to a stiff dough with water.
> >> 3. Roll out on a floured surface to a narrow strip.
> >> 4. Fold in three, give a quarter turn so one of the open ends is towards you
> >> and roll out again. Do this
> >> three times in all.
> >> 5. Cover pastry and leave to rest (about 15 minutes) then roll into desired
> >> shape.
> >> 6. In hot weather allow pastry to rest for 20-30 minutes in a refrigerator
> >> or cool place before use.
> >> NB: Always take care to roll away from you and do not break the air bubbles
> >> that will rise.
> >>
> >> I use butter or lard, it tastes better.

> >That's some interesting stuff. I like books which are primers of the basics of cooking. Most Americans are unfamiliar with rough pastry. The usual suspcts of rfc will deny that truth vigorously but that's just what they do.. Anyway, thanks!

> You'd get into less trouble if you limited your blanket statements to
> Hawaiians, them being people that you actually know well. Unless you
> like trouble, of course. Then everything goes.

I can make blanket statements about America because I am an American and have lived on the mainland. Your qualifications don't seem so sterling. Why the heck do you think you know so much about Americans? You seem to have found all your knowledge about us from comic books.

Of course, common sense tells us that people that have not lived in Hawaii shouldn't make blanket statements about the Hawaiians - it seems that they've found all their knowledge of Hawaii on cans of fruit punch and Maui style potato chips.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:22:09 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>I can make blanket statements about America because I am an American
>and have lived on the mainland. Your qualifications don't seem so
>sterling. Why the heck do you think you know so much about Americans?

Do I? RFC is a selection of people. For instance, here most Americans
are older and don't mind all the chemical additions to food. They see
that as one of the advances of post-war science and eat it all
happily. But I know that there's also a big health movement in the US.
People who wouldn't touch those science projects. They're just not in
RFC very much.

Same with animal welfare. There are lots of Americans who care about
other animals than pets, but the old RFC folk don't. My prejudices are
more about RFC Americans than about Americans in general.

>You seem to have found all your knowledge about us from comic books.

Lol, I've hardly ever read any American comic books. Maybe Batman a
bit. Do you wear a cape?

>Of course, common sense tells us that people that have not lived in Hawaii shouldn't make blanket statements about the Hawaiians - it seems that they've found all their knowledge of Hawaii on cans of fruit punch and Maui style potato chips.

I have most of my knowledge of Hawaiians from you. Before RFC, I knew
as little about Hawaii as about Haiti or Guadeloupe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 9:00:03 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> You are very welcome) I had never expected anyone else here would be
> interested

I will check out the rough pastry, it looks like it could be interesting.
I'll try making a French style tart with it. That should work, right?

==

I use it for everything and anything It's they only one I like) I am
not sure what a French style tart is, but I hope it works

Use it like you would Puff pastry.

Good luck

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 11:00:48 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 9:00:03 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > You are very welcome) I had never expected anyone else here would be
> > interested

> I will check out the rough pastry, it looks like it could be interesting.
> I'll try making a French style tart with it. That should work, right?
>
> ==
>
> I use it for everything and anything It's they only one I like) I am
> not sure what a French style tart is, but I hope it works
>
> Use it like you would Puff pastry.
>
> Good luck

I've never made puff pastry. Rough pastry seem like an easy way to make something sorta like puff pastry. A French style tart would look something like this although my daughter made it, not I. She used almond flour to make the crust.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...aXVxjGgd5INpL6
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 11:00:48 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, March 12, 2019 at 9:00:03 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > You are very welcome) I had never expected anyone else here would be
> > interested

> I will check out the rough pastry, it looks like it could be interesting.
> I'll try making a French style tart with it. That should work, right?
>
> ==
>
> I use it for everything and anything It's they only one I like) I
> am
> not sure what a French style tart is, but I hope it works
>
> Use it like you would Puff pastry.
>
> Good luck

I've never made puff pastry. Rough pastry seem like an easy way to make
something sorta like puff pastry. A French style tart would look something
like this although my daughter made it, not I. She used almond flour to make
the crust.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...aXVxjGgd5INpL6

==

Oh that looks lovely Yes I think Rough Puff pastry would work well for
that)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > Oh yes I just don't see why that wouldn't taste as good in a 'pocket',
> > that is if the 'pocket' tasted good too.

> Definitely. I had the chicken, broccoli, and cheese one.
> I'm thinking to make that in a pita pocket.
> Might be good but maybe a crust for a meat pie
> might be a better choice.
>
> Same with ham and cheese next time I cook a ham.
> (It's been a few years since I cooked a ham)
>
> Do you ever cook meat pies? What do you use?
>
> ==
>
> I always make Rough Puff Pastry
>
> Simple really. I mix chunks of butter (or lard) into flour and salt.
> Knead it a bit then turn it out and do the same folding thing you use for
> puff pastry.
>
> I allow it to rest in the fridge and roll it out I like it much better
> than Puff pastry.
>
> It work great for pasties or whatever you call yours oh and it's good for
> stuff like sausage rolls.
>
> You know, that type of thing. It's great as a topping for meat etc pies too
> )

Thank you for that. Recipe sounds just like making a flaky crust
for any fruit pies or pot pies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > Oh yes I just don't see why that wouldn't taste as good in a
> > 'pocket',
> > that is if the 'pocket' tasted good too.

> Definitely. I had the chicken, broccoli, and cheese one.
> I'm thinking to make that in a pita pocket.
> Might be good but maybe a crust for a meat pie
> might be a better choice.
>
> Same with ham and cheese next time I cook a ham.
> (It's been a few years since I cooked a ham)
>
> Do you ever cook meat pies? What do you use?
>
> ==
>
> I always make Rough Puff Pastry
>
> Simple really. I mix chunks of butter (or lard) into flour and salt.
> Knead it a bit then turn it out and do the same folding thing you use for
> puff pastry.
>
> I allow it to rest in the fridge and roll it out I like it much better
> than Puff pastry.
>
> It work great for pasties or whatever you call yours oh and it's good for
> stuff like sausage rolls.
>
> You know, that type of thing. It's great as a topping for meat etc pies
> too
> )

Thank you for that. Recipe sounds just like making a flaky crust
for any fruit pies or pot pies.

==

Yes, it is flaky but not so much as Puff pastry. TBH I am not too keen on
that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I've never made puff pastry. Rough pastry seem like an easy way to make something sorta like puff pastry. A French style tart would look something like this although my daughter made it, not I. She used almond flour to make the crust.
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...aXVxjGgd5INpL6

That looks super delicious.
I actually think that "tart" has a separate, distinct name. We
discussed that style here a few years ago. I was impressed then
and made an apple version. I remember SF(tm) either made it or
asked about it.