FoodBanter.com

-   -   fried polenta cakes (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/446064-fried-polenta-cakes.html)

tert in seattle 06-03-2019 11:07 PM

fried polenta cakes

I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
great food on a cold winter day!

Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] 06-03-2019 11:57 PM

fried polenta cakes

In article >, tert in seattle
> wrote:

> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
> great food on a cold winter day!

Sure. Serve them fried for breakfast with Log Cabin Syrup. I do that
with cornmeal mush. A couple of eggs on the side doesn't hurt either.

leo

Julie Bove[_2_] 07-03-2019 12:39 AM

fried polenta cakes

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
> great food on a cold winter day!

I like pumpkin seeds on the red sauce.

Is it snowing there? It is in Bothell.

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-03-2019 03:44 AM

fried polenta cakes

On 2019-03-06 6:57 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, tert in seattle
> > wrote:
>
>> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
>> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
>> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
>> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
>> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
>> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
>> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
>> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
>> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
>> great food on a cold winter day!

> Sure. Serve them fried for breakfast with Log Cabin Syrup. I do that
> with cornmeal mush. A couple of eggs on the side doesn't hurt either.

That works with grits too.

Joy Beeson 07-03-2019 04:40 AM

fried polenta cakes

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 23:07:53 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

> I cut it into squares, like
> brownies,

My mother used a narrow loaf pan that came with the electric icebox
(it fit into the space meant for ice-cube trays) as a mold, and sliced
the mush about a quarter inch thick. Fried it hot enough to brown the
slices by the time it was hot through.

In bacon grease.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

jmcquown[_2_] 07-03-2019 05:20 AM

fried polenta cakes

On 3/6/2019 6:07 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
> great food on a cold winter day!

I like the idea of the red sauce on the fried polenta. Maybe make sure
the sauce has plenty of garlic and basil. :)

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 07-03-2019 05:24 AM

fried polenta cakes

On 3/6/2019 10:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-06 6:57 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> In article >, tert in seattle
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
>>> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
>>> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
>>> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
>>> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
>>> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
>>> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
>>> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
>>> would be appreciated.Â* I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
>>> great food on a cold winter day!

>> Sure. Serve them fried for breakfast with Log Cabin Syrup. I do that
>> with cornmeal mush. A couple of eggs on the side doesn't hurt either.
>>

> That works with grits too.

It definitely works with grits. I add shredded cheese to the still warm
grits, then chill them in the fridge overnight. Form into little
pancakes and brown them in butter and oil. Sure, you can drizzle with
syrup or honey but you know I'm not big into sweet. I like them plain.
Pan fried and yes, served with an egg or two on the side. :)

Jill

GM 07-03-2019 01:14 PM

fried polenta cakes

tert in seattle wrote:

> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
> great food on a cold winter day!

one word tert: BACON

--
Best
Greg

tert in seattle 07-03-2019 05:41 PM

fried polenta cakes

lid writes:
>On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 23:07:53 +0000 (UTC)
>in Message-ID: >
>tert in seattle > wrote :
>
>> I cut it into squares, like
>> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
>> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
>> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
>> well.

>Cut them more like shortbread cookies, thinner, rectangular.

I did try that with one, sliced it in half and it was really good.
thanks!

tert in seattle 07-03-2019 05:43 PM

fried polenta cakes

writes:

>"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>>I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
>> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
>> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
>> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
>> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
>> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
>> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
>> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
>> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
>> great food on a cold winter day!

>I like pumpkin seeds on the red sauce.

hmmm...pass

>Is it snowing there? It is in Bothell.

it wasn't yesterday but this morning I woke up to an inch or so and
it was still coming down

tert in seattle 07-03-2019 05:49 PM

fried polenta cakes

writes:
>tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
>> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
>> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
>> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
>> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
>> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
>> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
>> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
>> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
>> great food on a cold winter day!

>one word tert: BACON

I was eating my oatmeal this morning and thinking, this oatmeal is
all right, but something is missing - and then I realized it was missing
a side of bacon

[email protected] 09-03-2019 02:58 PM

fried polenta cakes

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 6:10:04 PM UTC-5, tert in seattle wrote:
> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
> great food on a cold winter day!

I love fried mush

barbie gee[_2_] 12-03-2019 09:42 PM

fried polenta cakes

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019, tert in seattle wrote:

> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
> great food on a cold winter day!

add some kinda cheese somewhere; parmesan shaken over, or mozarella melted
on top.

Gotta have something else with it, in my opinion. I like it w/ italian
sausage and some kinda veg.

tert in seattle 13-03-2019 07:01 PM

fried polenta cakes

writes:

>On Wed, 6 Mar 2019, tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
>> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
>> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
>> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
>> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
>> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
>> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
>> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
>> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
>> great food on a cold winter day!
>>

>add some kinda cheese somewhere; parmesan shaken over, or mozarella melted
>on top.
>
>Gotta have something else with it, in my opinion. I like it w/ italian
>sausage and some kinda veg.

I made some more polenta last night. Had some with grated parmesan mixed
in. Tried a separate little bit with kielbasa. Both were good.

rosie[_1_] 16-03-2019 02:17 PM

fried polenta cakes

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 5:10:04 PM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:
> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated. I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
> great food on a cold winter day!

Dip each slice in flour, then fry, serve syrup and other breakfast goodies.

Nancy2[_2_] 16-03-2019 11:39 PM

fried polenta cakes

Rosie, why dip slices of polenta in flour? It is totally unnecessary. I love fried mush, but
have never known anyone to dip slices in flour before frying.

N.

[email protected] 17-03-2019 01:12 AM

fried polenta cakes

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 Nancy2 > wrote:

> I love fried mush.

Plain fried mush is okay but I really much prefer scrapple.
https://www.grit.com/departments/pen...e-zmrz12jfznem