Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Minced garlic

On 2019-03-05 9:43 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-05 10:20 a.m., Gary wrote:
>> songbird wrote:
>>>
>>> Â*Â* once it gets older it peels easier too, whatever
>>> we use when it is fresher i'll peel and trim using
>>> a very fine small bladed knife.Â* i don't always
>>> want the smashed effect.

>> How in the world does the "smashed effect" affect your dish?
>> Smashed and diced vs peeled and diced.
>> Spy vs Spy.Â*

> It does. Crushing them releases the juices.Â* Garlic is very versatile
> stuff and the taste and effects change dramatically depending on how it
> is cut, whether it is raw or cooked, how it is cooked, how long it is
> cooked.

Or whether Julie is preparing it:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 10:34:55 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > How in the world does the "smashed effect" affect your dish?
> > > Smashed and diced vs peeled and diced.
> > > Spy vs Spy.

> > The more cell walls you break, the more allicin is released, and
> > the more garlicky it tastes.

> So then smash and mince 3 cloves instead of 4 minced cloves.
> Save money.

It's not just a quantitative difference. It's a qualitative
difference.

Perhaps the distinction is just too subtle for you.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've
> seen chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the
> clove, pounding on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing
> it. When I try to do that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>
> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>
> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that
> it would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end.
> I would then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed
> garlic. I would manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the
> press. The next one was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky
> aroma of garlic. I tossed them.
>
> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted
> garlic that I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to
> use the real deal. Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I
> bought a small jar of minced.
>
> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

Don't. Just buy it by the jar. Store brand for cheapest. I use it a LOT
and a big jar (16 oz or so) lasts a long long time. Much easier than
mincing it yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've
>> seen chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the
>> clove, pounding on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing
>> it. When I try to do that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>>
>> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>>
>> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that
>> it would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end.
>> I would then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed
>> garlic. I would manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the
>> press. The next one was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky
>> aroma of garlic. I tossed them.
>>
>> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted
>> garlic that I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to
>> use the real deal. Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I
>> bought a small jar of minced.
>>
>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!
>>

>Don't. Just buy it by the jar. Store brand for cheapest. I use it a LOT
>and a big jar (16 oz or so) lasts a long long time. Much easier than
>mincing it yourself.

To me the pre-minced in a jar tastes nothing like real garlic, it
leaves a chemical after taste I once purchased a small jar, maybe 4
ozs, in the end I flushed it but I saved the cute little jar. I
usually have two heads of garlic on hand so when I'm down to one I'll
buy another. I don't keep a lot of garlic on hand as after a week or
two it tends to sprout and sometime it rots. In an emergency I always
have granulated garlic... it's what's used at pizza joints... It'll
probably work well for cutlery deficient Julie... granulated is much
better than the chemically treated in a jar. My neighbor grows garlic
and a couple of times has left a dozen bulbs at my back door, had to
let him know that three is more than I can use. He grows very nice
onions too, those I use in salads, they are too good to use for
cooking. And these days I only buy sweet onions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 3:41:56 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2019 17:51:50 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>
> >"Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
> >
> >> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've
> >> seen chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the
> >> clove, pounding on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing
> >> it. When I try to do that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
> >>
> >> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
> >>
> >> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that
> >> it would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end.
> >> I would then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed
> >> garlic. I would manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the
> >> press. The next one was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky
> >> aroma of garlic. I tossed them.
> >>
> >> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted
> >> garlic that I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to
> >> use the real deal. Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I
> >> bought a small jar of minced.
> >>
> >> Help! How do you mince the stuff!
> >>

> >Don't. Just buy it by the jar. Store brand for cheapest. I use it a LOT
> >and a big jar (16 oz or so) lasts a long long time. Much easier than
> >mincing it yourself.

> To me the pre-minced in a jar tastes nothing like real garlic, it
> leaves a chemical after taste

I'm totally in agreement with you.

> My neighbor grows garlic
> and a couple of times has left a dozen bulbs at my back door, had to
> let him know that three is more than I can use. He grows very nice
> onions too, those I use in salads, they are too good to use for
> cooking. And these days I only buy sweet onions.

I'm still using the garlic I harvested last summer. It's getting a little
sprouty, but it's still free of anything resembling rot. Far better than
the Chinese garlic available at the grocery store.

Granulated has its place, but it's no substitute for recipes where the
flavor of raw garlic is desired.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 13:04:58 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>I'm still using the garlic I harvested last summer. It's getting a little
>sprouty, but it's still free of anything resembling rot. Far better than
>the Chinese garlic available at the grocery store.

Some garlics last longer. Something about hard neck and soft neck.

I wonder if removing the core if it's gone green serves a purpose or
if that's an old wives' tale. (With all due respect to old wives.)

>Granulated has its place, but it's no substitute for recipes where the
>flavor of raw garlic is desired.

I love garlic, but raw only in moderation. All I can think of is when
we make our own hummus. That has raw garlic added to it and is never
cooked at that stage, of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 4:14:12 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 13:04:58 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm still using the garlic I harvested last summer. It's getting a little
> >sprouty, but it's still free of anything resembling rot. Far better than
> >the Chinese garlic available at the grocery store.

> Some garlics last longer. Something about hard neck and soft neck.

Softnecks last longer, but I grow hardneck because the cloves are
generally bigger.

> I wonder if removing the core if it's gone green serves a purpose or
> if that's an old wives' tale. (With all due respect to old wives.)

The sprout tastes bitter.

> >Granulated has its place, but it's no substitute for recipes where the
> >flavor of raw garlic is desired.

> I love garlic, but raw only in moderation. All I can think of is when
> we make our own hummus. That has raw garlic added to it and is never
> cooked at that stage, of course.

We use a great deal of raw garlic in salad dressings. Steeping it in
the vinegar for 5-10 minutes tames it while still leaving that lovely
raw garlic flavor.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!

> i use a meat grinder when i have enough peeled for
> it to be worth it (just a few weeks ago i did this
> with the left-over garlic that was sprouting from
> last year's harvest) and then i drench it with
> lemon juice and pack it in amounts that i will use
> for cooking (in 4oz small jars) and put it in the
> freezer. it will keep like this for several years
> or until we use it.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2019 2:14 PM, Bruce wrote:

> I love garlic, but raw only in moderation. All I can think of is when
> we make our own hummus. That has raw garlic added to it and is never
> cooked at that stage, of course.

Garlic is one of those things that jes cooks weird. Saute the things
fer one (1) nano second beyond "done" and they're tasteless. Yet cook
an entire bulb fer a half hour and they go with anything!!

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 13:17:54 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 4:14:12 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 13:04:58 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I'm still using the garlic I harvested last summer. It's getting a little
>> >sprouty, but it's still free of anything resembling rot. Far better than
>> >the Chinese garlic available at the grocery store.

>> Some garlics last longer. Something about hard neck and soft neck.

>Softnecks last longer, but I grow hardneck because the cloves are
>generally bigger.

Garlic's one of the most rewarding things to grouw yourself, imo.

>> I wonder if removing the core if it's gone green serves a purpose or
>> if that's an old wives' tale. (With all due respect to old wives.)

>The sprout tastes bitter.

I'll eat it cooked.

>> >Granulated has its place, but it's no substitute for recipes where the
>> >flavor of raw garlic is desired.

>> I love garlic, but raw only in moderation. All I can think of is when
>> we make our own hummus. That has raw garlic added to it and is never
>> cooked at that stage, of course.

>We use a great deal of raw garlic in salad dressings. Steeping it in
>the vinegar for 5-10 minutes tames it while still leaving that lovely
>raw garlic flavor.

Yeah, that should calm it down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shel, did you know you can buy peeled garlic bulbs in the refrigerated produce section, and freeze
the ones you can't use right away?

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 13:04:58 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 3:41:56 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On 5 Mar 2019 17:51:50 GMT, KenK > wrote:
>>
>> >"Julie Bove" > wrote in
>> :

>> >Don't. Just buy it by the jar. Store brand for cheapest. I use it a LOT
>> >and a big jar (16 oz or so) lasts a long long time. Much easier than
>> >mincing it yourself.

>> To me the pre-minced in a jar tastes nothing like real garlic, it
>> leaves a chemical after taste

>I'm totally in agreement with you.
>
>> My neighbor grows garlic
>> and a couple of times has left a dozen bulbs at my back door, had to
>> let him know that three is more than I can use. He grows very nice
>> onions too, those I use in salads, they are too good to use for
>> cooking. And these days I only buy sweet onions.

>I'm still using the garlic I harvested last summer. It's getting a little
>sprouty, but it's still free of anything resembling rot. Far better than
>the Chinese garlic available at the grocery store.
>
>Granulated has its place, but it's no substitute for recipes where the
>flavor of raw garlic is desired.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I checked out the bags of garlic bulbs at Costco today to see if it
was last year's crop. I always try to get the new crop from
California. The bags at my Costco were from 2019 but were from
Argentina.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-05 3:55 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I checked out the bags of garlic bulbs at Costco today to see if it
> was last year's crop. I always try to get the new crop from
> California. The bags at my Costco were from 2019 but were from
> Argentina.
> Janet US

Better than China!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Thanks!

y.w. just don't pack the jars too full. i go 3/4 full.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 16:10:41 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-03-05 3:55 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I checked out the bags of garlic bulbs at Costco today to see if it
>> was last year's crop. I always try to get the new crop from
>> California. The bags at my Costco were from 2019 but were from
>> Argentina.
>> Janet US
>>

>Better than China!

Not much good comes from China, except the world's best cuisines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-05 6:10 p.m., graham wrote:
> On 2019-03-05 3:55 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I checked out the bags of garlic bulbs at Costco today to see if it
>> was last year's crop.Â* I always try to get the new crop from
>> California.Â* The bags at my Costco were from 2019 but were from
>> Argentina.
>> Janet US
>>

> Better than China!

I am wary of ginger and garlic from China. I tend not to cook them much,
not enough to kill whatever Chinese cooties are in their products.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I chop garlic with the same huge knife I use for celery: cut the
cloves in half with a smaller knife, put them cut-side down on the
board so they don't roll, slice them as thin as I can chop-chop-chop,
sweep the pile together with the knife, rotate the board ninety
degrees, chop until the pile is disordered, repeat until fine enough.

Most of the time I just throw the peeled cloves in whole, then when
serving, pick them out and spread them on a cracker.

Bulbils I squash and pick the skins out. Being squashed, they don't
need to be minced.

I don't cook many bulbils now that I've found out how good the green
spathes are. Way back when I had a bush that produced teeny-tiny
peppers, I made a sauce by filling a bottle with bulbils, peppers, and
twelve-percent vinegar.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
>> My attempts at mincing garlic have the makings for a sit com. I've
>> seen chefs use the technique of laying a large knife flat on the
>> clove, pounding on the knife to smash the clove, then quickly mincing
>> it. When I try to do that, the clove goes zinging across my kitchen.
>>
>> If I try to slice then mince, my pieces always wind up too big.
>>
>> I tried two different garlic presses. One was very ineffective in that
>> it would smash up the garlic but it wouldn't press out the other end.
>> I would then use the tip of a knife to try to scrape out the pressed
>> garlic. I would manage to get a bit, but most would be retained in the
>> press. The next one was only slightly better. Both retained the stinky
>> aroma of garlic. I tossed them.
>>
>> For some time, I used either garlic powder or some dried roasted
>> garlic that I bought somewhere. But for some things, I really want to
>> use the real deal. Recent attempts at mincing were no better so I
>> bought a small jar of minced.
>>
>> Help! How do you mince the stuff!
>>

> Don't. Just buy it by the jar. Store brand for cheapest. I use it a LOT
> and a big jar (16 oz or so) lasts a long long time. Much easier than
> mincing it yourself.

I did do that. Thanks!