Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight 3/1/2019

I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
my way home from work. This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20. It's been
*ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
which is a good sign.

I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
for dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I do have
some corn cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!

What's for dinner at your house?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 17:45:11 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
> my way home from work. This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
> years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20. It's been
> *ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
> this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
> which is a good sign.
>
> I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
> for dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I do have
> some corn cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>
> What's for dinner at your house?

No five stars followed by "I can't wait to try/use it!". I read
three of those already today (one was based just on the smell).

And by "ribs", I assume you mean pork? Here in TX that's beef by
default. But sometimes you still have ask "back ribs or short
ribs".

-sw

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill
> on my way home from work. This place hasn't been there very long
> (maybe 2 years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20.
> It's been ages since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've
> never tried this place but I figured what the heck; there are always
> cars there which is a good sign.
>
> I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
> for dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I do have
> some corn cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>
> What's for dinner at your house?
>
> Jill

Tonight was some leftover stir fry veggies with mushrooms and a cup of
the 'ragout' tomato curry soup. Small rice balls (1/8cup each) with
steamed then mashed butternut squash centers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
>my way home from work. This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
>years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20. It's been
>*ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
>this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
>which is a good sign.
>
>I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
>for dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I do have
>some corn cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>
>What's for dinner at your house?
>
>Jill

I have some left over refried beans from some soft tacos I made the
other day, so I am thinking maybe some cheesy bean quesadilla's. With
jack/colby/mozzarella

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on my
>way home from work. This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2 years)
>but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20. It's been *ages* since I
>had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried this place but I
>figured what the heck; there are always cars there which is a good sign.
>
> I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn for
> dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I do have some corn
> cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>
> What's for dinner at your house?

I'm doing the pot roast tonight. There were enough leftovers to where I
didn't need it last night. Potatoes, carrots and green beans, all roasted,
to go with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
>my way home from work. This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
>years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20. It's been
>*ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
>this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
>which is a good sign.
>
>I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
>for dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I do have
>some corn cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>
>What's for dinner at your house?
>
>Jill

Home made spaghetti sauce from the deep freeze and a pasta. Salad.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2019 6:45 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 17:45:11 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
>> my way home from work. This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
>> years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20. It's been
>> *ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
>> this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
>> which is a good sign.
>>
>> I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
>> for dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I do have
>> some corn cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>>
>> What's for dinner at your house?

> No five stars followed by "I can't wait to try/use it!". I read
> three of those already today (one was based just on the smell).
>
> And by "ribs", I assume you mean pork? Here in TX that's beef by
> default. But sometimes you still have ask "back ribs or short
> ribs".
>
> -sw

Yep, pork ribs. These are baby back ribs. I've still never bought beef
short ribs. I saw some at Publix last week. I forget the price but it
seemed exhorbitant. There was nothing to them. Three beef short ribs,
mosty fat and bone from what I could see.

I do like beef ribs. Had them (dry rub) along with some pork ribs with
sauce at The Rendezvous in Memphis in the 1980's; it was a company paid
luncheon. I noticed on the menu they also served lamb ribs (dry rub)
that sounded interesting. I sure as heck wouldn't want to try lamb ribs
slathered in any kind of BBQ sauce.

Anyway, BBQ (the sauced ribs variety) really is a rare occurence for me.
I like it, just don't think about it very often. Odd for someone who
has lived in the South for quite a while.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2019 5:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
> my way home from work.Â* This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
> years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20.Â* It's been
> *ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
> this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
> which is a good sign.
>
> I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
> for dinner tonight.Â* No eating utensils required (although I do have
> some corn cob holders).Â* I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>
> What's for dinner at your house?
>
> Jill

Scallops tonight. Dry pack, but previously frozen, wild caught from New
Jersey. 16 scallops (1 pound) was $24, but oh, so good.

There was a little bacon grease from breakfast and I left it. Added
butter, seared one side, added garlic, seared the other side. Put them
on a plate and poured in some white wine and fresh squeezed OJ, reduced.

Served with bruchetta, garden salad, Pinot Grigio. Delicious!

It was also a nice night to eat out on the lanai. Quiet and calm.

As for the ribs, I'm making a couple of racks Sunday.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 19:46:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 3/1/2019 5:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
>> my way home from work.* This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
>> years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20.* It's been
>> *ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
>> this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
>> which is a good sign.
>>
>> I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
>> for dinner tonight.* No eating utensils required (although I do have
>> some corn cob holders).* I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>>
>> What's for dinner at your house?
>>
>> Jill

>Scallops tonight. Dry pack, but previously frozen, wild caught from New
>Jersey. 16 scallops (1 pound) was $24, but oh, so good.
>
>There was a little bacon grease from breakfast and I left it. Added
>butter, seared one side, added garlic, seared the other side. Put them
>on a plate and poured in some white wine and fresh squeezed OJ, reduced.
>
>Served with bruchetta, garden salad, Pinot Grigio. Delicious!

Sounds very good. I won't even complain about the OJ.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Mar 2019 17:16:15 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 17:45:11 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
>>my way home from work. This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
>>years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20. It's been
>>*ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
>>this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
>>which is a good sign.
>>
>>I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
>>for dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I do have
>>some corn cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>>
>>What's for dinner at your house?
>>
>>Jill

>Home made spaghetti sauce from the deep freeze and a pasta. Salad.
>Janet US

what kind of salad and dressing?

I had a sort of vegi salad with the thousand island dressing recipe I
have posted for lunch today... with lentil thin cakes crushed and used
as croutons

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2019 7:48 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 19:46:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 3/1/2019 5:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
>>> my way home from work.Â* This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
>>> years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20.Â* It's been
>>> *ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
>>> this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
>>> which is a good sign.
>>>
>>> I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
>>> for dinner tonight.Â* No eating utensils required (although I do have
>>> some corn cob holders).Â* I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>>>
>>> What's for dinner at your house?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Scallops tonight. Dry pack, but previously frozen, wild caught from New
>> Jersey. 16 scallops (1 pound) was $24, but oh, so good.
>>
>> There was a little bacon grease from breakfast and I left it. Added
>> butter, seared one side, added garlic, seared the other side. Put them
>> on a plate and poured in some white wine and fresh squeezed OJ, reduced.
>>
>> Served with bruchetta, garden salad, Pinot Grigio. Delicious!

> Sounds very good. I won't even complain about the OJ.

You would not. It was very mild. One thing about living here is the
ability to get fresh oranges and these have a mild flavor.

There is a Tropicana plant about 15 miles from us. I often see large
bump trucks loaded with oranges headed to the plant. Plenty of groves
around.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 19:26:33 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/1/2019 6:45 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 17:45:11 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
>>> my way home from work. This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
>>> years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20. It's been
>>> *ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
>>> this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
>>> which is a good sign.
>>>
>>> I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
>>> for dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I do have
>>> some corn cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>>>
>>> What's for dinner at your house?

>> No five stars followed by "I can't wait to try/use it!". I read
>> three of those already today (one was based just on the smell).
>>
>> And by "ribs", I assume you mean pork? Here in TX that's beef by
>> default. But sometimes you still have ask "back ribs or short
>> ribs".
>>
>> -sw

> Yep, pork ribs. These are baby back ribs. I've still never bought beef
> short ribs. I saw some at Publix last week. I forget the price but it
> seemed exhorbitant. There was nothing to them. Three beef short ribs,
> mosty fat and bone from what I could see.

Short ribs rule here. They go for $22-$24 pound cooked. And they
average about 1-pound each. BBQ restaurant owners hate them (cost,
inconsistency, and space issues). But they have to provide them at
least for the first half of the sales day. They also have very
random fat distribution. Generally they have layers of fat like
pork belly but the thickness and number of layers in a four-rib rack
can make one rib 60-80% gobs of inedible fat (that you can't sell
for $24) and the one next to it only 30% fat perfectly incorporated
within the meat. Back ribs would be better in that regards, but
nowadays they use X-rays to identify where the bones are, then
robotic laser-guided saws to cut off every last spec of meat that
was previously humanly impossible.

> I do like beef ribs. Had them (dry rub) along with some pork ribs with
> sauce at The Rendezvous in Memphis in the 1980's; it was a company paid
> luncheon. I noticed on the menu they also served lamb ribs (dry rub)
> that sounded interesting. I sure as heck wouldn't want to try lamb ribs
> slathered in any kind of BBQ sauce.

Lamb ribs are very fatty as they also include the belly. When I'd
get them for $1/lb I'd make bacon out of them or cure and slowly
confit them Now they're $3/lb and most places don't bother even
trying to sell them anymore.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 19:40:21 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Short ribs rule here. They go for $22-$24 pound cooked. And they
>average about 1-pound each. BBQ restaurant owners hate them (cost,
>inconsistency, and space issues). But they have to provide them at
>least for the first half of the sales day. They also have very
>random fat distribution. Generally they have layers of fat like
>pork belly but the thickness and number of layers in a four-rib rack
>can make one rib 60-80% gobs of inedible fat (that you can't sell
>for $24) and the one next to it only 30% fat perfectly incorporated
>within the meat. Back ribs would be better in that regards, but
>nowadays they use X-rays to identify where the bones are, then
>robotic laser-guided saws to cut off every last spec of meat that
>was previously humanly impossible.

Oh stop it, before I regret not eating meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 5:43:38 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> And by "ribs", I assume you mean pork? Here in TX that's beef by
> default. But sometimes you still have ask "back ribs or short
> ribs".
>
> -sw

Yeah, you can pretty much lay money on the 4-legged animal of choice for
barbeque in the South/Southeast is pork.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 5:45:26 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill on
> my way home from work. This place hasn't been there very long (maybe 2
> years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20. It's been
> *ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never tried
> this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars there
> which is a good sign.
>
> I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
> for dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I do have
> some corn cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>
> What's for dinner at your house?
>
> Jill

I had a salad with turkey and bacon, dressed with balsamic vinegar, a little
olive oil and a little bacon fat.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/1/2019 6:45 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Mar 2019 17:45:11 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > > I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ
> > > Grill on my way home from work. This place hasn't been there
> > > very long (maybe 2 years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs
> > > for $20. It's been *ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ
> > > joint and I've never tried this place but I figured what the
> > > heck; there are always cars there which is a good sign.
> > >
> > > I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and
> > > corn for dinner tonight. No eating utensils required (although I
> > > do have some corn cob holders). I'll need lots of napkins for
> > > the ribs!
> > >
> > > What's for dinner at your house?

> > No five stars followed by "I can't wait to try/use it!". I read
> > three of those already today (one was based just on the smell).
> >
> > And by "ribs", I assume you mean pork? Here in TX that's beef by
> > default. But sometimes you still have ask "back ribs or short
> > ribs".
> >
> > -sw

> Yep, pork ribs. These are baby back ribs. I've still never bought
> beef short ribs. I saw some at Publix last week. I forget the price
> but it seemed exhorbitant. There was nothing to them. Three beef
> short ribs, mosty fat and bone from what I could see.

(snips)

> Jill

I go pork too as the beef ones are never as good looking. Suits us
better I guess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2019 7:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/1/2019 5:45 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I did something unusual and picked up some ribs from Island BBQ Grill
>> on my way home from work.Â* This place hasn't been there very long
>> (maybe 2 years) but they had a sign out front: BBQ ribs for $20.Â* It's
>> been *ages* since I had sauced ribs from any BBQ joint and I've never
>> tried this place but I figured what the heck; there are always cars
>> there which is a good sign.
>>
>> I have some corn on the cob in the freezer so I'll have ribs and corn
>> for dinner tonight.Â* No eating utensils required (although I do have
>> some corn cob holders).Â* I'll need lots of napkins for the ribs!
>>
>> What's for dinner at your house?
>>
>> Jill

> Scallops tonight.Â* Dry pack, but previously frozen, wild caught from New
> Jersey.Â* 16 scallops (1 pound) was $24, but oh, so good.

Sounds tasty!

> There was a little bacon grease from breakfast and I left it.Â* Added
> butter, seared one side, added garlic, seared the other side.Â* Put them
> on a plate and poured in some white wine and fresh squeezed OJ, reduced.
>
> Served with bruchetta, garden salad, Pinot Grigio.Â* Delicious!
>
> It was also a nice night to eat out on the lanai.Â* Quiet and calm.
>
> As for the ribs, I'm making a couple of racks Sunday.

The ribs were tasty. But I'd forgotten how much sugar most restaurants
tend to add to their BBQ sauce. Needed a jolt of hot pepper sauce!

I'm going to cook some Patagonian (small) scallops this weekend.
JanetUS's thread about scallops set off a craving. I happen to already
have Patagonian scallops in freezer. They've always tasted fine to me
for what I use them for. These will be in a little garlic cream sauce
served over angel hair pasta with sauteed spinach.

Jill