Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you suck at?

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Doesn't that depend on how you like your eggs scrambled? Between
> adding, milk vs. water, how much you whip them up before cooking, how
> hot you cook them , how much you stir them, scrambling before or after
> they go into the pan, there are dozens of ways to scramble eggs,

I know! My scrambled eggs are inferior to the way my wife scrambles
them, but they're just the way I like 'em.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 8:54:58 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 4:55:31 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> > For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out the back door for the birds.
> > They do not like it either.
> > It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
> >
> > What do you find difficult?

> i find it difficult to skin a salmon filet. perhaps i'm using the wrong knife. i was taught to use a steak knife(not the knife you're thinking of; it's a long curved knife which was designed to cut for example to slice up a whole strip loin into steaks). some people they get it right and take that whole skin off in seconds. maybe i should try a boning knife.

I just let the grill do the work for me. Quite often the skin sticks
to the grill when I remove the fish.

Then I Sheldonize it, and throw the skin out in the yard for anything
that will eat it.

The frozen fillets I get from Costco are skinned. Much more convenient.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-02 6:10 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, March 1, 2019 at 8:54:58 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 4:55:31 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:

>>> What do you find difficult?

>> i find it difficult to skin a salmon filet. perhaps i'm using the
>> wrong knife. i was taught to use a steak knife(not the knife
>> you're thinking of; it's a long curved knife which was designed to
>> cut for example to slice up a whole strip loin into steaks). some
>> people they get it right and take that whole skin off in seconds.
>> maybe i should try a boning knife.

> I just let the grill do the work for me. Quite often the skin
> sticks to the grill when I remove the fish.
>
> Then I Sheldonize it, and throw the skin out in the yard for
> anything that will eat it.

That works for me. We often cook salmon fillets on the gas grill. We
just do them skin side down on direct heat. When the fillet is done the
flesh separates easily from the skin. I leave there to cool and then
peel it off and give it to the dogs.

> The frozen fillets I get from Costco are skinned. Much more
> convenient.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10:20:28 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-02 6:10 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> i find it difficult to skin a salmon filet. perhaps i'm using the
> >> wrong knife. i was taught to use a steak knife(not the knife
> >> you're thinking of; it's a long curved knife which was designed to
> >> cut for example to slice up a whole strip loin into steaks). some
> >> people they get it right and take that whole skin off in seconds.
> >> maybe i should try a boning knife.

> > I just let the grill do the work for me. Quite often the skin
> > sticks to the grill when I remove the fish.
> >
> > Then I Sheldonize it, and throw the skin out in the yard for
> > anything that will eat it.

> That works for me. We often cook salmon fillets on the gas grill. We
> just do them skin side down on direct heat. When the fillet is done the
> flesh separates easily from the skin. I leave there to cool and then
> peel it off and give it to the dogs.
>

> > The frozen fillets I get from Costco are skinned. Much more
> > convenient.

the one problem with tossing the skin is that the skin has many good healthy nutrients.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320838.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Stir fry. Oh, I can make it, and everything comes out ok, but no matter
>> what I do or change, they always taste the same.
>>
>> Luckily, Chinese restaurants are cheap and readily available.

> ....and they all taste the same.

i see that wink... still i'm in the mood to ramble...

we've gone to the same chinese place for over 40yrs.
we've tried other places but like this one the best.

many places it seems the sauces are very similar
and likely come from a jar/container instead of
being made from other spices/ingredients.

one time in FL on vacation sister and i were in the
mood for chinese and we ended up at a place up on
the top floor of a hotel.

they made their sweet and sour sauce out of ketchup
and sweet pickles. we still get laughs out of that
one (it was horrible).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Five-spice blend is supposed to be made with "Szezhaun peppers". It was
> banned from importation fer about 5-10 yrs, but is back!
>
> Many spice companies subbed other pprs --even "black pepper"-- and have
> not changed back to "real" Szezhaun pprs. You might check with yer
> resto.

i think i've got a container of that. ick.
should feed it to the worms as i'm not using
it - would much prefer sp's.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> When I make a tossed salad, I put all the heavy things at the
> bottom with the lettuce on top. Then I add the dressing and
> gently bring the heavy stuff to the top.

considering what my teef are gonna do to it
in a short while that "gently" cracks me up...

> Of course, I don't demand that every single piece have the
> same amount of dressing.

swimming or drenched is my usual preference.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> the one problem with tossing the skin is that the skin has many good healthy nutrients.
> https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320838.php

Thank you. What's with all this no fish skin?
I always eat it. It just good and nothing to waste.
Some people cut it off then crisp it separately in oil.
I just eat it right along with the fish...soggy but delish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 11:09:20 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10:20:28 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > I just let the grill do the work for me. Quite often the skin
> > > sticks to the grill when I remove the fish.
> > >
> > > Then I Sheldonize it, and throw the skin out in the yard for
> > > anything that will eat it.

> > That works for me. We often cook salmon fillets on the gas grill. We
> > just do them skin side down on direct heat. When the fillet is done the
> > flesh separates easily from the skin. I leave there to cool and then
> > peel it off and give it to the dogs.
> >

> > > The frozen fillets I get from Costco are skinned. Much more
> > > convenient.

> the one problem with tossing the skin is that the skin has many good healthy nutrients.
> https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320838.php

I don't care for the skin.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 11:31:48 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > When I make a tossed salad, I put all the heavy things at the
> > bottom with the lettuce on top. Then I add the dressing and
> > gently bring the heavy stuff to the top.

> considering what my teef are gonna do to it
> in a short while that "gently" cracks me up...

Then you might as well put it in the blender and drink it
with a straw.

> > Of course, I don't demand that every single piece have the
> > same amount of dressing.

> swimming or drenched is my usual preference.

Tastes vary. I like the minimal amount to moisten the lettuce.
I hate getting restaurant salads that are overwhelmed by the
dressing.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 03:10:49 Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>On Friday, March 1, 2019 A Moose in Love wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 Thomas wrote:
>>
>> > For the life of me I cannot make a good pizza dough. I usually toss it out the back door for the birds.

I hoped you baked it first... feeding raw yeast dough to birds will
inflict upon them an awful painful death.

>> > They do not like it either.
>> > It comes out super white and hard. Using a gas Hotpoint oven, no stone.
>> >
>> > What do you find difficult?

>> i find it difficult to skin a salmon filet. perhaps i'm using the wrong knife. i was taught to use a steak knife(not the knife you're thinking of; it's a long curved knife which was designed to cut for example to slice up a whole strip loin into steaks). some people they get it right and take that whole skin off in seconds. maybe i should try a boning knife.

Doesn't get any more culinary stupid to skin any fish prior to
grilling.

>I just let the grill do the work for me. Quite often the skin sticks
>to the grill when I remove the fish.

Much smarter to do like the ancients learned, place the fish on a
banana, cabbage, lettuce leaf.

>Then I Sheldonize it, and throw the skin out in the yard for anything
>that will eat it.

Shoulda told hubby to wrap it around his 2" peepee and save the price
of a lubed condom... only plus is it'd smell just like you.

>The frozen fillets I get from Costco are skinned. Much more convenient.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Wasted your dollars on frozen fish.... even a can of primo salmon
contains the skin and the bones. If what you want is skinned filleted
fish you'd be very happy with TIAD fast food fish on a bun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 10:22:18 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-03-02 6:10 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> i find it difficult to skin a salmon filet. perhaps i'm using the
>>> wrong knife. i was taught to use a steak knife(not the knife
>>> you're thinking of; it's a long curved knife which was designed to
>>> cut for example to slice up a whole strip loin into steaks). some
>>> people they get it right and take that whole skin off in seconds.
>>> maybe i should try a boning knife.

>> I just let the grill do the work for me. Quite often the skin
>> sticks to the grill when I remove the fish.
>>
>> Then I Sheldonize it, and throw the skin out in the yard for
>> anything that will eat it.

>That works for me. We often cook salmon fillets on the gas grill. We
>just do them skin side down on direct heat. When the fillet is done the
> flesh separates easily from the skin. I leave there to cool and then
>peel it off and give it to the dogs.

Your dogs get the best part, the fat directly under the sin is loaded
with omega acids.;

>> The frozen fillets I get from Costco are skinned. Much more
>> convenient.

And fully TIAD.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2019 14:06:13 -0500, wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 10:22:18 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> I just let the grill do the work for me. Quite often the skin
>>> sticks to the grill when I remove the fish.
>>>
>>> Then I Sheldonize it, and throw the skin out in the yard for
>>> anything that will eat it.

>>That works for me. We often cook salmon fillets on the gas grill. We
>>just do them skin side down on direct heat. When the fillet is done the
>> flesh separates easily from the skin. I leave there to cool and then
>>peel it off and give it to the dogs.

>Your dogs get the best part, the fat directly under the sin is loaded
>with omega acids.;

Yes, it's like grilling a chicken and then giving the meat to the dog
and sucking on the bones yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> > When I make a tossed salad, I put all the heavy things at the
>> > bottom with the lettuce on top. Then I add the dressing and
>> > gently bring the heavy stuff to the top.

>> considering what my teef are gonna do to it
>> in a short while that "gently" cracks me up...

> Then you might as well put it in the blender and drink it
> with a straw.

nah thanks, i'm not into making more things to wash
if i can help it...

>> > Of course, I don't demand that every single piece have the
>> > same amount of dressing.

>> swimming or drenched is my usual preference.

> Tastes vary. I like the minimal amount to moisten the lettuce.
> I hate getting restaurant salads that are overwhelmed by the
> dressing.

obv!

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 11:09:20 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:

>> the one problem with tossing the skin is that the skin has many good healthy nutrients.
>> https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320838.php

> I don't care for the skin.

i've never cared much for the taste of it either.

for older fish that is where the fat soluable pollutants
are at.

now, with some fish like sardines i don't notice it
and it doesn't bother me at all.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-02 11:09 a.m., A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10:20:28 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

>> That works for me. We often cook salmon fillets on the gas grill.
>> We just do them skin side down on direct heat. When the fillet is
>> done the flesh separates easily from the skin. I leave there to
>> cool and then peel it off and give it to the dogs.
>>

>>> The frozen fillets I get from Costco are skinned. Much more
>>> convenient.

> the one problem with tossing the skin is that the skin has many good
> healthy nutrients.
> https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320838.php

I am cooking it on direct heat so the skin is burnt. It's black. There
is probably more unsafe stuff than beneficial at that point. The dogs
can risk it, and will do so gladly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-02 1:29 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 11:31:48 AM UTC-5, songbird wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> When I make a tossed salad, I put all the heavy things at the
>>> bottom with the lettuce on top. Then I add the dressing and
>>> gently bring the heavy stuff to the top.

>> considering what my teef are gonna do to it
>> in a short while that "gently" cracks me up...

> Then you might as well put it in the blender and drink it
> with a straw.
>
>>> Of course, I don't demand that every single piece have the
>>> same amount of dressing.

>> swimming or drenched is my usual preference.

> Tastes vary. I like the minimal amount to moisten the lettuce.
> I hate getting restaurant salads that are overwhelmed by the
> dressing.

I like only a little dressing. My wife seems to like a salad soup. She
brings out a bowl of salad. I dress it to my liking and take my share.
She then adds at least as much on the remainder as I had used on the
whole bowl.

ALSO YOU MAY SUCK IT! Kevin S. Wilson Barbecue 5 04-02-2007 07:37 PM
I Suck pfoley General Cooking 0 19-01-2007 09:25 PM
You suck [email protected] General Cooking 0 04-05-2006 10:45 AM
Y'all Suck Reg Barbecue 3 29-11-2003 11:33 PM