Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default notbob finally eats some rice

I'm not totally against rice. Jes not its biggest fan.

I was hurtin' fer something to eat, last night, so I thought of rice
pudding. Turns out I had most everything, plus a recipe from my old
copy ('67) of JoC. So, I steamed some rice.

Howto Steam rice:

1. Put 1/2-3/4 cup o' rice in SS 3 cup bowl.
2. Wash rice and add water to one (1) knuckle above level of rice.
3. Put bowl with water and rice into a 2nd pan (that is big enough to
hold the entire bowl), on a trivet (I used a
1 pt canning ring), and have way to extract it (I used 2 forks).
4. Boil added water in "2nd pan" fer 25-30 mins.
5. Extract bowl of steamed rice and fluff rice with fork.

This is "steamed rice" at it's best. Works on most any type of rice (I
used long grain) and rice comes out perfect, every time.

After I made the rice, I made the rice pudding. It came out OK (not
great, but OK). Tasted better cold than warm, but I think it was jes
the sugar.

It's not like I'm a stranger to rice. I usta have a Persian rice cooker
(perfect "tahdig" every time) and played around with a lotta rices. I
used it to make a Persian/Thai fish stew I invented, but tossed the rice
cooker when I moved.

This attempt at eating rice was not a huge success. It merely
buttressed my "meh" attitude towards rice.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 1:12:42 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

> This attempt at eating rice was not a huge success. It merely
> buttressed my "meh" attitude towards rice.

Perhaps your taste buds requires a good deal of stimulation. I love
plain rice, unsalted, unflavored, unadorned.

I also like it other ways, but plain is my favorite.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 12:57 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Perhaps your taste buds requires a good deal of stimulation. I love
> plain rice, unsalted, unflavored, unadorned.

I did try a bit of plain rice with butter and S&P. Not bad. May have
actually been a tad better than the rice pudding.

That's why I put "1/2 - 3/4 cup" in the original steamed rice recipe. I
originally put in one (1) whole cup of uncooked rice and it gave me
almost 3 cups of steamed rice. JoC recipe fer rice pudding only called
fer 2 cups of steamed rice. So, I ate some buttered, S&P'd.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 2:57 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 1:12:42 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>
>> This attempt at eating rice was not a huge success. It merely
>> buttressed my "meh" attitude towards rice.

> Perhaps your taste buds requires a good deal of stimulation. I love
> plain rice, unsalted, unflavored, unadorned.
>
> I also like it other ways, but plain is my favorite.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I used to eat rice for breakfast. I picked that habit up when we lived
in Thailand. It was one thing I could cook for myself at the age of
nine (no microwaves back then). After cooking it I'd add butter, salt
and a tiny bit of pepper. I got tired of that years ago.

Plain unadultered rice is entirely too "meh" for my tastes. But hey, we
all have our differences.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 17:40:53 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/27/2019 2:57 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 1:12:42 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>>
>>> This attempt at eating rice was not a huge success. It merely
>>> buttressed my "meh" attitude towards rice.

>> Perhaps your taste buds requires a good deal of stimulation. I love
>> plain rice, unsalted, unflavored, unadorned.
>>
>> I also like it other ways, but plain is my favorite.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I used to eat rice for breakfast. I picked that habit up when we lived
>in Thailand. It was one thing I could cook for myself at the age of
>nine (no microwaves back then). After cooking it I'd add butter, salt
>and a tiny bit of pepper. I got tired of that years ago.
>
>Plain unadultered rice is entirely too "meh" for my tastes. But hey, we
>all have our differences.

Plain unadultered potatoes are also meh. Plain unadultered pasta's
also meh. You have to adulter it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 5:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/27/2019 2:57 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 1:12:42 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>>> This attempt at eating rice was not a huge success.Â* It merely
>>> buttressed my "meh" attitude towards rice.Â*

>> Perhaps your taste buds requires a good deal of stimulation.Â* I love
>> plain rice, unsalted, unflavored, unadorned.
>>
>> I also like it other ways, but plain is my favorite.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> I used to eat rice for breakfast.Â* I picked that habit up when we lived
> in Thailand.Â* It was one thing I could cook for myself at the age of
> nine (no microwaves back then).Â* After cooking it I'd add butter, salt
> and a tiny bit of pepper.Â* I got tired of that years ago.
>
> Plain unadultered rice is entirely too "meh" for my tastes.Â* But hey, we
> all have our differences.
>
> Jill

As a kid, rice was rare. I could not see any use for plain rice. It
was something to be used as a carrier for gravy, not eaten "as is" at
all. Three of our grandkids spent a few years in Hawaii and father of
one is Asian. They would have plain rice, by choice, all day.

I do like risotto though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-27 5:40 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/27/2019 2:57 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

> I used to eat rice for breakfast.Â* I picked that habit up when we lived
> in Thailand.Â* It was one thing I could cook for myself at the age of
> nine (no microwaves back then).Â* After cooking it I'd add butter, salt
> and a tiny bit of pepper.Â* I got tired of that years ago.
>
> Plain unadultered rice is entirely too "meh" for my tastes.Â* But hey, we
> all have our differences.

When I was a kid we sometimes put some leftover rice in a pot with bit
of milk, some brown sugar and a wee bit of nutmeg and heated it up. It
was quite tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 5:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-27 5:40 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/27/2019 2:57 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>

>> I used to eat rice for breakfast.Â* I picked that habit up when we
>> lived in Thailand.Â* It was one thing I could cook for myself at the
>> age of nine (no microwaves back then).Â* After cooking it I'd add
>> butter, salt and a tiny bit of pepper.Â* I got tired of that years ago.
>>
>> Plain unadultered rice is entirely too "meh" for my tastes.Â* But hey,
>> we all have our differences.
>>

> When I was a kid we sometimes put some leftover rice in a pot with bit
> of milk, some brown sugar and a wee bit of nutmeg and heated it up. It
> was quite tasty.

Just me, but I don't really understand rice with milk and/or a sweetener
in any form. It simply wasn't something I grew up with. <shrug>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-27 7:17 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/27/2019 5:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> When I was a kid we sometimes put some leftover rice in a pot with bit
>> of milk, some brown sugar and a wee bit of nutmeg and heated it up. It
>> was quite tasty.
>>

> Just me, but I don't really understand rice with milk and/or a sweetener
> in any form.Â* It simply wasn't something I grew up with. <shrug>

I liked it when I was a kid but have not eaten it in many decades.
However, I do like a nice rice pudding like the one in my Greek
cookbook. It is labour intensive. You start by boiling some short grain
rice in water for a couple minutes then add scalded milk and a it of
sugar and simmer it for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Temper
eggs and add them add them to the rice and milk, reduce the heat and
stir constantly until it starts to thicken, 15-12 minutes. I add some
raisins along with the eggs. It is a lot of work for a pudding, but it
is worth it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 8:15:24 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2019-02-27 7:17 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>
> > On 2/27/2019 5:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> When I was a kid we sometimes put some leftover rice in a pot with bit
> >> of milk, some brown sugar and a wee bit of nutmeg and heated it up. It
> >> was quite tasty.
> >>

> > Just me, but I don't really understand rice with milk and/or a sweetener
> > in any form.Â* It simply wasn't something I grew up with. <shrug>

On the rare occasion was served at our house and any was leftover we kids
would eat the next morning as we would oatmeal. Sugar, butter, and a bit
of milk poured over the reheated rice.

> I liked it when I was a kid but have not eaten it in many decades.
> However, I do like a nice rice pudding like the one in my Greek
> cookbook.

I just can't wrap my tastes buds around rice pudding, so bland with just
such a m-e-a-g-e-r amount of sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 9:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-27 7:17 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/27/2019 5:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> When I was a kid we sometimes put some leftover rice in a pot with
>>> bit of milk, some brown sugar and a wee bit of nutmeg and heated it
>>> up. It was quite tasty.
>>>

>> Just me, but I don't really understand rice with milk and/or a
>> sweetener in any form.Â* It simply wasn't something I grew up with.
>> <shrug>
>>

> I liked it when I was a kid but have not eaten it in many decades.
> However, I do like a nice rice pudding like the one in my Greek
> cookbook.Â* It is labour intensive. You start by boiling some short grain
> rice in water for a couple minutes then add scalded milk and aÂ* it of
> sugar and simmer it for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Temper
> eggs and add them add them to the rice and milk, reduce the heat and
> stir constantly until it starts to thicken, 15-12 minutes.Â* I add some
> raisins along with the eggs.Â* It is a lot of work for a pudding, but it
> is worth it.

Well... sorry, but rice pudding doesn't sound like something I'd be
interested in. I've been told "southerners" (that would be U.S.
"southerners") enjoy sugared rice. Personally, I've never run across
sugar in rice in any Southern cookbook or seen on TV grandma related
recipes/memoir that mentions adding sugar to rice.

Of course I don't know everything about this area but along with indigo
there were rice plantations down here. What I hear about rice dishes
(from the Gullah people) are all savoury. They make a seafood and
sausage gumbo spooned over locally grown rice. No sugar added.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> I'm not totally against rice. Jes not its biggest fan.
>
> I was hurtin' fer something to eat, last night, so I thought of rice
> pudding. Turns out I had most everything, plus a recipe from my old copy
> ('67) of JoC. So, I steamed some rice.
>
> Howto Steam rice:
>
> 1. Put 1/2-3/4 cup o' rice in SS 3 cup bowl.
> 2. Wash rice and add water to one (1) knuckle above level of rice.
> 3. Put bowl with water and rice into a 2nd pan (that is big enough to hold
> the entire bowl), on a trivet (I used a 1 pt canning ring), and have way
> to extract it (I used 2 forks).
> 4. Boil added water in "2nd pan" fer 25-30 mins.
> 5. Extract bowl of steamed rice and fluff rice with fork.
>
> This is "steamed rice" at it's best. Works on most any type of rice (I
> used long grain) and rice comes out perfect, every time.
>
> After I made the rice, I made the rice pudding. It came out OK (not
> great, but OK). Tasted better cold than warm, but I think it was jes the
> sugar.
>
> It's not like I'm a stranger to rice. I usta have a Persian rice cooker
> (perfect "tahdig" every time) and played around with a lotta rices. I
> used it to make a Persian/Thai fish stew I invented, but tossed the rice
> cooker when I moved.
>
> This attempt at eating rice was not a huge success. It merely buttressed
> my "meh" attitude towards rice.
>
> nb

I like rice but I don't like rice pudding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 2/27/2019 5:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Perhaps your taste buds requires a good deal of stimulation. I love
>>> plain rice, unsalted, unflavored, unadorned.
>>>
>>> I also like it other ways, but plain is my favorite.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I used to eat rice for breakfast. I picked that habit up when we lived in
>> Thailand. It was one thing I could cook for myself at the age of nine (no
>> microwaves back then). After cooking it I'd add butter, salt and a tiny
>> bit of pepper. I got tired of that years ago.
>>
>> Plain unadultered rice is entirely too "meh" for my tastes. But hey, we
>> all have our differences.
>>
>> Jill

> As a kid, rice was rare. I could not see any use for plain rice. It was
> something to be used as a carrier for gravy, not eaten "as is" at all.
> Three of our grandkids spent a few years in Hawaii and father of one is
> Asian. They would have plain rice, by choice, all day.
>
> I do like risotto though.

My mom made Rice A Roni. *Shudder*. She also made Chicken Amandine that was
baked on a bed of rice. I liked the rice and almonds in that. The chicken
itself? Not so much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/27/2019 5:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-02-27 5:40 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>> On 2/27/2019 2:57 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>

>>> I used to eat rice for breakfast. I picked that habit up when we lived
>>> in Thailand. It was one thing I could cook for myself at the age of nine
>>> (no microwaves back then). After cooking it I'd add butter, salt and a
>>> tiny bit of pepper. I got tired of that years ago.
>>>
>>> Plain unadultered rice is entirely too "meh" for my tastes. But hey, we
>>> all have our differences.
>>>

>> When I was a kid we sometimes put some leftover rice in a pot with bit of
>> milk, some brown sugar and a wee bit of nutmeg and heated it up. It was
>> quite tasty.
>>

> Just me, but I don't really understand rice with milk and/or a sweetener
> in any form. It simply wasn't something I grew up with. <shrug>

My dad made rice pudding with leftover rice, milk, sugar and raisins. He was
the only one that ate it. Yuck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 11:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> When I was a kid we sometimes put some leftover rice in a pot with
>>> bit of milk, some brown sugar and a wee bit of nutmeg and heated it
>>> up. It was quite tasty.
>>>

>> Just me, but I don't really understand rice with milk and/or a
>> sweetener in any form.Â* It simply wasn't something I grew up with.
>> <shrug>

> My dad made rice pudding with leftover rice, milk, sugar and raisins. He
> was the only one that ate it. Yuck!

You need vanilla in it too. Can be good. I like raisins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 9:36:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 8:15:24 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > Just me, but I don't really understand rice with milk and/or a sweetener
> > > in any form.Â* It simply wasn't something I grew up with. <shrug>
> > >

> On the rare occasion was served at our house and any was leftover we kids
> would eat the next morning as we would oatmeal. Sugar, butter, and a bit
> of milk poured over the reheated rice.
> >
> > I liked it when I was a kid but have not eaten it in many decades.
> > However, I do like a nice rice pudding like the one in my Greek
> > cookbook.
> >

> I just can't wrap my tastes buds around rice pudding, so bland with just
> such a m-e-a-g-e-r amount of sugar.

So add more sugar. I also like to enhance mine with cardamom. If it's
bland, it's because someone made it that way.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 9:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> You need vanilla in it too.Â* Can be good. I like raisins.

Milk, sugar, vanilla, raisins.... mine had all of that!

Trouble was, I added some sweet shredded coconut. Should have added
more milk, probably some sweet coconut milk. It was a tad dry. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 07:13:54 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On 2/27/2019 9:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> You need vanilla in it too.* Can be good. I like raisins.

>Milk, sugar, vanilla, raisins.... mine had all of that!
>
>Trouble was, I added some sweet shredded coconut. Should have added
>more milk, probably some sweet coconut milk. It was a tad dry. 8|
>
>nb

Tapioca pudding is much nicer texturally than rice pudding, and both
are nutrionally the same. I like the larger pearls and most tapioca
is actually made from sago palm starch.
For coconut flavor add some Coco Lopez cream of coconut... shredded
coconut adds an awful texture to puddings as it won't soften.
http://www.cocolopez.com/cream.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 5:21:17 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 9:36:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > I just can't wrap my tastes buds around rice pudding, so bland with just
> > such a m-e-a-g-e-r amount of sugar.

> So add more sugar. I also like to enhance mine with cardamom. If it's
> bland, it's because someone made it that way.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I'll just eat it on the rare occasion there is leftover rice and eat it like
I would oatmeal; butter, sugar, and a splash of milk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Used to have rice soup growing up dirt poor. White rice, hot milk, s and p. I liked it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 3:10 PM, wrote:

> I would oatmeal; butter, sugar, and a splash of milk.

Same here, but I would leave the butter fer the next post.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 3:54 PM, Thomas wrote:

> Used to have rice soup growing up dirt poor. White rice, hot milk, s and p. I liked it.

What!? No "butter"?

I thought I was raised "dirt poor", but we still had butter (or
margarine, as was fashionable in those days)!

nb