Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner last night .... and oldie revisited

Back in the days when I used to eat oranges we used to do this oven
fried orange chicken dish frequently. This week we happened to have
some oranges in the house and, having recently cleaned out the old
fridge we had some frozen orange juice. My wife asked me to do this one
for her.

Preheat the oven to 425 (good time to throw in a potato to bake because
they go well with it.

Cut chicken into serving size pieces.... drumsticks, thighs, breasts,
wings. Toss the wings in seasoned flour.

Mix eggs with orange juice concentrate and mix up some dried bread
crumbs (or Panko) with salt, pepper and orange zest.

Melt some butter. Smear some of it in the bottom of a baking pan.

Dip the chicken parts in the egg and orange juice mixture and then into
the crumbs and then lay them skin side down in the buttered pan.

Bake for 45 minutes, turning them half way through.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 2:08:39 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> Back in the days when I used to eat oranges we used to do this oven
> fried orange chicken dish frequently. This week we happened to have
> some oranges in the house and, having recently cleaned out the old
> fridge we had some frozen orange juice. My wife asked me to do this one
> for her.
>
> Preheat the oven to 425 (good time to throw in a potato to bake because
> they go well with it.
>
> Cut chicken into serving size pieces.... drumsticks, thighs, breasts,
> wings. Toss the wings in seasoned flour.
>
> Mix eggs with orange juice concentrate and mix up some dried bread
> crumbs (or Panko) with salt, pepper and orange zest.
>
> Melt some butter. Smear some of it in the bottom of a baking pan.
>
> Dip the chicken parts in the egg and orange juice mixture and then into
> the crumbs and then lay them skin side down in the buttered pan.
>
> Bake for 45 minutes, turning them half way through.

It's probably good but does not sound appealing to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 15:10:25 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Back in the days when I used to eat oranges we used to do this oven
>fried orange chicken dish frequently. This week we happened to have
>some oranges in the house and, having recently cleaned out the old
>fridge we had some frozen orange juice. My wife asked me to do this one
>for her.
>
>Preheat the oven to 425 (good time to throw in a potato to bake because
>they go well with it.
>
>Cut chicken into serving size pieces.... drumsticks, thighs, breasts,
>wings. Toss the wings in seasoned flour.
>
>Mix eggs with orange juice concentrate and mix up some dried bread
>crumbs (or Panko) with salt, pepper and orange zest.
>
>Melt some butter. Smear some of it in the bottom of a baking pan.
>
>Dip the chicken parts in the egg and orange juice mixture and then into
>the crumbs and then lay them skin side down in the buttered pan.
>
>Bake for 45 minutes, turning them half way through.

Yea asians call it orange chicken... It is usually made with quite a
bit of spice. But it is best made with boneless thigh meat cut into
strips or squares and pan fried in a wok or skillet
It is by far my favorite asian dish

Gluten free version, tastes exactly the same if not better than any
other version
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, patted dry and cut into 1
1/2-inch pieces
1 teaspoon tamari
1/2 cup cornstarch
About 2 cups canola oil for frying
For the orange sauce:
2 oranges
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger (from 1-inch piece)
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon tamari
1 teaspoon rice vinegar (not seasoned) or cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
Thinly sliced scallion greens, for garnish
Thinly sliced fresh red Chile, for garnish (optional)
Cooked rice for serving

Start the chicken:
In a shallow, medium bowl toss the chicken pieces with the soy sauce.
Let stand while you make the sauce.

Make the orange sauce:
Using a vegetable peeler, remove 4 lengthwise strips of zest from 1
orange—each strip should be about 3/4 inch wide and 3 1/2 to 4 inches
long. Arrange the zest in one layer between paper towels and microwave
on high in 20-second increments until dry and brittle but not browned,
60 to 80 seconds total. Let the zest cool then finely chop it. If
desired, use a Microplane to remove some of the remaining zest from
the orange and reserve it for garnish. (If desired, zest the second
orange for additional garnish.)

Make a cornstarch slurry with 2 tablespoons of water and the 2
teaspoons of cornstarch
Squeeze enough juice from both oranges to measure 1/2 cup. In a small
bowl, whisk together the juice cornstarch slurry

In a 10-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over moderate heat until
hot but not smoking. Add the garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper, and
dried orange zest and stir-fry until golden, about 30 seconds. Add the
soy sauce, wine, vinegar, and sugar and stir until the sugar
dissolves, about 5 seconds. Stir the orange juice–cornstarch mixture
then add it to the skillet. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring, then
reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute. Remove the
skillet from the heat and set it aside while you fry the chicken.

Fry the chicken:
Line a large rimmed baking sheet with paper towels.

In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil until a deep-fry
thermometer registers 365°F. Meanwhile, coat half of the chicken, a
couple pieces at a time, in cornstarch, making sure they are well
coated and gently knocking off any excess, then transfer to a plate.
Carefully add all the coated chicken to the hot oil, spacing the
pieces apart from each other. Fry the chicken, turning it once or
twice, until deep golden, about 5 minutes. While frying, adjust the
heat as necessary to keep the oil at 365°F. Using a metal spider or a
slotted spoon, transfer the chicken as done to the paper-towel-lined
baking sheet. Continue to coat and fry the remaining chicken in the
same manner, returning the oil to 365°F between batches.

Once the chicken is fried, place the skillet of reserved orange sauce
over moderately low heat and bring it to a simmer, stirring and
thinning the sauce with a little water if necessary. Add the chicken,
and stir until thoroughly coated in sauce.

This dish perfect over rice or a gluten free soy based pasta...

For more flavor and or heat add some sriracha..

sriracha is the secret sauce for everything.. You can add sriracha
to peach cobbler and make it better...

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 2:08:51 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> [...]

> pieces apart from each other. Fry the chicken, turning it once or
> twice, until deep golden, about 5 minutes. While frying, adjust the
> heat as necessary to keep the oil at 365°F. Using a metal spider or a
> slotted spoon, transfer the chicken as done to the paper-towel-lined
> baking sheet. Continue to coat and fry the remaining chicken in the
> same manner, returning the oil to 365°F between batches.
>
> Once the chicken is fried, place the skillet of reserved orange sauce
> over moderately low heat and bring it to a simmer, stirring and
> thinning the sauce with a little water if necessary. Add the chicken,
> and stir until thoroughly coated in sauce.
>
> This dish perfect over rice or a gluten free soy based pasta...
>
> For more flavor and or heat add some sriracha..
>
> sriracha is the secret sauce for everything.. You can add sriracha

The Asians don't call it anything. It's a dish made by Americans for Americans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> [...]

> > metal spider or a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken as done to
> > the paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Continue to coat and fry the
> > remaining chicken in the same manner, returning the oil to 365°F
> > between batches.
> >
> > Once the chicken is fried, place the skillet of reserved orange
> > sauce over moderately low heat and bring it to a simmer, stirring
> > and thinning the sauce with a little water if necessary. Add the
> > chicken, and stir until thoroughly coated in sauce.
> >
> > This dish perfect over rice or a gluten free soy based pasta...
> >
> > For more flavor and or heat add some sriracha..
> >
> > sriracha is the secret sauce for everything.. You can add sriracha
> > to peach cobbler and make it better...
> >
> > --
> >
> > ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

> The Asians don't call it anything. It's a dish made by Americans for

Interesting, but agree, totally an American (mainland) version from CK
and no pretense to be other from Dave.

This is more actual Asian

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...cken-and-rice/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:18:44 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> [...]
>> > remaining chicken in the same manner, returning the oil to 365°F
>> > between batches.
>> >
>> > Once the chicken is fried, place the skillet of reserved orange
>> > sauce over moderately low heat and bring it to a simmer, stirring
>> > and thinning the sauce with a little water if necessary. Add the
>> > chicken, and stir until thoroughly coated in sauce.
>> >
>> > This dish perfect over rice or a gluten free soy based pasta...
>> >
>> > For more flavor and or heat add some sriracha..
>> >
>> > sriracha is the secret sauce for everything.. You can add sriracha
>> > to peach cobbler and make it better...
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

>> The Asians don't call it anything. It's a dish made by Americans for
>> Americans.

>Interesting, but agree, totally an American (mainland) version from CK

OMFG geez why you gotta nitpick? ya wanna get technical then lets get
technical.....

Orange chicken is served in a **** load of Chinese take out
restaurants, and who usually owns and works at these Chinese
restaurants? Well lets see could it be Chinese or otherwise Asian?
Chef Andy Kao is said to have developed Gen tso chicken which is
basically orange chicken without the orange... Guess what Chef Andy
Kao is? could it be SATAN?? <oops sorry church lady broke in for a
second there> could it be Asian? So yes in fact Asians do call it or
have named it orange chicken....

Can ya hear what the rock is saying?

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]

> pieces apart from each other. Fry the chicken, turning it once or
> twice, until deep golden, about 5 minutes. While frying, adjust the
> heat as necessary to keep the oil at 365°F. Using a metal spider or a
> slotted spoon, transfer the chicken as done to the paper-towel-lined
> baking sheet. Continue to coat and fry the remaining chicken in the
> same manner, returning the oil to 365°F between batches.
>
> Once the chicken is fried, place the skillet of reserved orange sauce
> over moderately low heat and bring it to a simmer, stirring and
> thinning the sauce with a little water if necessary. Add the chicken,
> and stir until thoroughly coated in sauce.
>
> This dish perfect over rice or a gluten free soy based pasta...
>
> For more flavor and or heat add some sriracha..
>
> sriracha is the secret sauce for everything.. You can add sriracha

Soy based pasta? PPpppyuk!

If I want orange chicken, I use use whatever nuggets or strips I have in the
freezer and toss them (after cooking) with purchased orange sauce. You can
even use plain cooked chicken if you don't want the breading. Serve with
rice.

I'm not going to go out and buy a bunch of ingredients to make this dish. We
only eat it maybe 2-3 times a year. It's okay for a change. Not a favorite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> [...]

> heat as necessary to keep the oil at 365°F. Using a metal spider or a
> slotted spoon, transfer the chicken as done to the paper-towel-lined
> baking sheet. Continue to coat and fry the remaining chicken in the
> same manner, returning the oil to 365°F between batches.
>
> Once the chicken is fried, place the skillet of reserved orange sauce
> over moderately low heat and bring it to a simmer, stirring and
> thinning the sauce with a little water if necessary. Add the chicken,
> and stir until thoroughly coated in sauce.
>
> This dish perfect over rice or a gluten free soy based pasta...
>
> For more flavor and or heat add some sriracha..
>
> sriracha is the secret sauce for everything.. You can add sriracha
> to peach cobbler and make it better...
>
> --
>
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

The Asians don't call it anything. It's a dish made by Americans for

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:18:44 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>dsi1 wrote:

>>> The Asians don't call it anything. It's a dish made by Americans for
>>> Americans.

>>Interesting, but agree, totally an American (mainland) version from CK
>>and no pretense to be other from Dave.
>>
>>This is more actual Asian
>>
>>https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...cken-and-rice/

> OMFG geez why you gotta nitpick? ya wanna get technical then lets get
> technical.....
>
> Orange chicken is served in a **** load of Chinese take out
> restaurants, and who usually owns and works at these Chinese
> restaurants? Well lets see could it be Chinese or otherwise Asian?
> Chef Andy Kao is said to have developed Gen tso chicken which is
> basically orange chicken without the orange... Guess what Chef Andy
> Kao is? could it be SATAN?? <oops sorry church lady broke in for a
> second there> could it be Asian? So yes in fact Asians do call it or
> have named it orange chicken....
>
> Can ya hear what the rock is saying?

Asians in American invented those dishes for Americans! Buy a clue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 6:45:58 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>
> The Asians don't call it anything. It's a dish made by Americans for
> Americans.
>
> Yep.

Here's a video of Chinese folks eating Panda Chinese food. The interesting part is the attitude towards food of the old people vs. the younger Chinese.. It's fairly obvious that the old people have endured times when food was scarce. The younger generation has so much disdain for what they eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo59LlkTDe4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>OMFG geez why you gotta nitpick? ya wanna get technical then lets get
>>technical.....
>>
>>Orange chicken is served in a **** load of Chinese take out
>>restaurants, and who usually owns and works at these Chinese
>>restaurants? Well lets see could it be Chinese or otherwise Asian?
>>Chef Andy Kao is said to have developed Gen tso chicken which is
>>basically orange chicken without the orange... Guess what Chef Andy
>>Kao is? could it be SATAN?? <oops sorry church lady broke in for a
>>second there> could it be Asian? So yes in fact Asians do call it or
>>have named it orange chicken....
>>
>>Can ya hear what the rock is saying?

>The way you hardly distinguish between Chinese and Asians, does that
>mean Americans are really Germans?

Chinese are asians, russians are asians, koreans are asians.. What is
the Problem exactly?

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:57:04 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>>>Interesting, but agree, totally an American (mainland) version from CK
>>>and no pretense to be other from Dave.
>>>
>>>This is more actual Asian
>>>
>>>https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...cken-and-rice/

>> OMFG geez why you gotta nitpick? ya wanna get technical then lets get
>> technical.....
>>
>> Orange chicken is served in a **** load of Chinese take out
>> restaurants, and who usually owns and works at these Chinese
>> restaurants? Well lets see could it be Chinese or otherwise Asian?
>> Chef Andy Kao is said to have developed Gen tso chicken which is
>> basically orange chicken without the orange... Guess what Chef Andy
>> Kao is? could it be SATAN?? <oops sorry church lady broke in for a
>> second there> could it be Asian? So yes in fact Asians do call it or
>> have named it orange chicken....
>>
>> Can ya hear what the rock is saying?

>Asians in American invented those dishes for Americans! Buy a clue.

Wow did you even read what you just said?

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:45:21 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
> [...]

>> pieces apart from each other. Fry the chicken, turning it once or
>> twice, until deep golden, about 5 minutes. While frying, adjust the
>> heat as necessary to keep the oil at 365°F. Using a metal spider or a
>> slotted spoon, transfer the chicken as done to the paper-towel-lined
>> baking sheet. Continue to coat and fry the remaining chicken in the
>> same manner, returning the oil to 365°F between batches.
>>
>> Once the chicken is fried, place the skillet of reserved orange sauce
>> over moderately low heat and bring it to a simmer, stirring and
>> thinning the sauce with a little water if necessary. Add the chicken,
>> and stir until thoroughly coated in sauce.
>>
>> This dish perfect over rice or a gluten free soy based pasta...
>>
>> For more flavor and or heat add some sriracha..
>>
>> sriracha is the secret sauce for everything.. You can add sriracha

yes and they are very good

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=soy+noodles&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

>If I want orange chicken, I use use whatever nuggets or strips I have in the
>freezer and toss them

Well I hope you were the one that actually cut them up and did not buy
that chemically infused chicken they sell at stores

>(after cooking) with purchased orange sauce.

More chemically infused cap usually with refined sugar, and/or corn
syrup. It is so easy to make.

>You can
>even use plain cooked chicken if you don't want the breading. Serve with
>rice.
>
>I'm not going to go out and buy a bunch of ingredients to make this dish. We
>only eat it maybe 2-3 times a year. It's okay for a change. Not a favorite.

The only ingredient that I usually don't have readily available in my
kitchen is fresh oranges since I am more of an apple strawberry banana
and pineapple eater. So "going out to buy" a bunch of ingredients
sounds a good bit like an excuse

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:45:21 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
> [...]

>>freezer and toss them

> Well I hope you were the one that actually cut them up and did not buy
> that chemically infused chicken they sell at stores
>
>>(after cooking) with purchased orange sauce.

> More chemically infused cap usually with refined sugar, and/or corn
> syrup. It is so easy to make.
>
>>You can
>>even use plain cooked chicken if you don't want the breading. Serve with
>>rice.
>>
>>I'm not going to go out and buy a bunch of ingredients to make this dish.
>>We
>>only eat it maybe 2-3 times a year. It's okay for a change. Not a
>>favorite.

> The only ingredient that I usually don't have readily available in my
> kitchen is fresh oranges since I am more of an apple strawberry banana
> and pineapple eater. So "going out to buy" a bunch of ingredients

I rarely have any fruit. Don't like it. Don't use cornstarch or Tamari.
Don't and won't use canola oil. Don't usually have green onions either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 04:24:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:45:21 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Soy based pasta? PPpppyuk!

>> yes and they are very good
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=soy+noodles&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
>>

>>>If I want orange chicken, I use use whatever nuggets or strips I have in
>>>the
>>>freezer and toss them

>> Well I hope you were the one that actually cut them up and did not buy
>> that chemically infused chicken they sell at stores
>>
>>>(after cooking) with purchased orange sauce.

>> More chemically infused cap usually with refined sugar, and/or corn
>> syrup. It is so easy to make.
>>
>>>You can
>>>even use plain cooked chicken if you don't want the breading. Serve with
>>>rice.
>>>
>>>I'm not going to go out and buy a bunch of ingredients to make this dish.
>>>We
>>>only eat it maybe 2-3 times a year. It's okay for a change. Not a
>>>favorite.

>> The only ingredient that I usually don't have readily available in my
>> kitchen is fresh oranges since I am more of an apple strawberry banana
>> and pineapple eater. So "going out to buy" a bunch of ingredients
>> sounds a good bit like an excuse

>I rarely have any fruit. Don't like it. Don't use cornstarch or Tamari.
>Don't and won't use canola oil. Don't usually have green onions either.

You don't use soy sauce? tamari is soy without the wheat, they tasted
exactly the same though... I don't really use much canola either
mainly just EVOO or just OO... I could not go without green
onions/scallions... I have a nice little patch of them in my garden

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-27 7:24 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> I rarely have any fruit. Don't like it. Don't use cornstarch or Tamari.
> Don't and won't use canola oil. Don't usually have green onions either.

Oh come on now. Why don't you just write down the whole list of things
you don't like and get it over with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 10:45:39 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-27 7:24 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
> >

> > I rarely have any fruit. Don't like it. Don't use cornstarch or Tamari.
> > Don't and won't use canola oil. Don't usually have green onions either.

> Oh come on now. Why don't you just write down the whole list of things
> you don't like and get it over with.

Honestly, seeing the two of them go at it is some of the best entertainment
we've had in a long while. I scarcely know who to root for.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> [...]

> > > from CK and no pretense to be other from Dave.
> > >
> > > This is more actual Asian

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...cken-and-rice/

> > OMFG geez why you gotta nitpick? ya wanna get technical then lets
> > get technical.....
> >
> > Orange chicken is served in a **** load of Chinese take out
> > restaurants, and who usually owns and works at these Chinese
> > restaurants? Well lets see could it be Chinese or otherwise Asian?
> > Chef Andy Kao is said to have developed Gen tso chicken which is
> > basically orange chicken without the orange... Guess what Chef Andy
> > Kao is? could it be SATAN?? <oops sorry church lady broke in for a
> >second there> could it be Asian? So yes in fact Asians do call it or
> > have named it orange chicken....
> >
> > Can ya hear what the rock is saying?

> Asians in American invented those dishes for Americans! Buy a clue.

True. They are not bad recipes at all, but they are Americanized.

Here's another one that isn't authentic (Americanized tastes) but is
somewhat close to a dish in Sasebo Japan that is served in small
amounts.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's 'meekan chicken'
Categories: Xxcarol, Chicken
Yield: 6 Servings

6 ea Chicken necks, 3/4lb total
4 ea Meekans (mandarin oranges)
1 tb Shoyu (soy sauce)
1 c Dashi, 2nd or 3rd use
1/4 ts Patis
1/2 ts Miso, light colored paste
1/2 tb Mirin

I mentioned this so I guess I need to post it! It's a not totally
origional idea to make 'orange chicken' but the devisement here isnt
one I've seen anyplace else (note 2019, locally meant).

When wandering Tonoo market in Sasebo Japan, you'll find fast that
seafood is very cost effective and chicken in some types is as well.
Chicken necks are used for flavoring and soups/stews all the time. In
an odd flip, you pay more for a whole chicken, than you do for parts!
A whole chicken has no gizzard-pack with the neck and stuff
:sob!: and the legs/thighs are removed! :double sob!:

Anyways, at the right season, Meekan's flood the market. I said 4
here but if you cant find Meekans, it's workable to use tangarines
and regular oranges. You want about 1.5 cups of flesh after peeling
and de-seeding, removing as much membrane as you reasonably can.
Chop that up to little bits keeping all juice as part of the measure.

I use 2nd or 3rd use Dashi. If you look up a dashi recipe, you'll
see the ingredients. These are saved and used for a 2nd and 3rd pot
which require a little longer boil and are milder. If you do not
find Dashi to your tastes, you can use a chicken stock but in this
dish, will taste a bit funny so increase the patis to 1/2 TS (I think
that will work, I havent tried it).

The Shoyu (Soy sauce) is a Philippene blend and lower sodium than the
ones i have seen in the USA under all names but tastes as good. So
is the patis. If on a sodium restrictive diet, check the Datu Puti
brand names out. They arent 'listed' as sodium reduced, just are
naturally.

What you get is a thick soupy strongly orange confection with a
chicken flavor (the volume of chicken is about the same as the
orange). Cook in a crockpot then pull the heat after 6-8 hours, let
cool, strain and remove all bones, then add back to the crockpot. Do
*not* feed this to toddlers without deboning and I wouldnt suggest it
for unwary adults either without that!

There are many variations of this one in my home, some with a lower
meekan balance to the chicken, some with other things added in as are
available seasonally at the time of making, but this is the base
recipe to grow from.

Serving: Use a slotted spoon and put it over rice then the rest once
drifted back, makes for a fine soup.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 7JUL2006

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 6:45:58 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "dsi1" > wrote in message
> >
> > The Asians don't call it anything. It's a dish made by Americans
> > for Americans.
> >
> > Yep.

> Here's a video of Chinese folks eating Panda Chinese food. The
> interesting part is the attitude towards food of the old people vs.
> the younger Chinese. It's fairly obvious that the old people have
> endured times when food was scarce. The younger generation has so
> much disdain for what they eat.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo59LlkTDe4

I've seen that before! Matches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 21:12:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 6:45:58 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>> The Asians don't call it anything. It's a dish made by Americans for
>> Americans.
>>
>> Yep.

>Here's a video of Chinese folks eating Panda Chinese food. The interesting part is the attitude towards food of the old people vs. the younger Chinese. It's fairly obvious that the old people have endured times when food was scarce. The younger generation has so much disdain for what they eat.

If it's bad, it's bad. That has nothing to do with disdain or respect.
But maybe those young people have been McDonaldofied and just don't
like any Chinese food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 2:19:45 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 21:12:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 6:45:58 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> The Asians don't call it anything. It's a dish made by Americans for
> >> Americans.
> >>
> >> Yep.

> >Here's a video of Chinese folks eating Panda Chinese food. The interesting part is the attitude towards food of the old people vs. the younger Chinese. It's fairly obvious that the old people have endured times when food was scarce. The younger generation has so much disdain for what they eat.

> If it's bad, it's bad. That has nothing to do with disdain or respect.
> But maybe those young people have been McDonaldofied and just don't
> like any Chinese food.

It's food capable of sustaining life - neither good nor bad. The old people see food as it is. The young folks see food from a sociological and ethnological point of view i.e., they see themselves as hip, young, Chinese with upper middle class tastes and expectations. There's no way they're going to enjoy lower-class faux Chinese food made for white people. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 16:58:13 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 2:19:45 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 21:12:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >Here's a video of Chinese folks eating Panda Chinese food. The interesting part is the attitude towards food of the old people vs. the younger Chinese. It's fairly obvious that the old people have endured times when food was scarce. The younger generation has so much disdain for what they eat.

>> If it's bad, it's bad. That has nothing to do with disdain or respect.
>> But maybe those young people have been McDonaldofied and just don't
>> like any Chinese food.

>It's food capable of sustaining life - neither good nor bad. The old people see food as it is. The young folks see food from a sociological and ethnological point of view i.e., they see themselves as hip, young, Chinese with upper middle class tastes and expectations. There's no way they're going to enjoy lower-class faux Chinese food made for white people. That's the breaks.

But the young people are right then. You said it yourself:
"lower-class faux Chinese food". In the case of an emergency, it's
different. During a famine, I'd be very happy with a McDonalds
hamburger. Then it's about survival and then I agree with you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 3:05:59 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 16:58:13 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 2:19:45 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 21:12:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1

> >> If it's bad, it's bad. That has nothing to do with disdain or respect.
> >> But maybe those young people have been McDonaldofied and just don't
> >> like any Chinese food.

> >It's food capable of sustaining life - neither good nor bad. The old people see food as it is. The young folks see food from a sociological and ethnological point of view i.e., they see themselves as hip, young, Chinese with upper middle class tastes and expectations. There's no way they're going to enjoy lower-class faux Chinese food made for white people. That's the breaks.

> But the young people are right then. You said it yourself:
> "lower-class faux Chinese food". In the case of an emergency, it's
> different. During a famine, I'd be very happy with a McDonalds
> hamburger. Then it's about survival and then I agree with you.

I'm not a young, hip, Chinese with upper middle class taste and expectations. I see the food at Panda as kind of cheap Chinese-like food. It ain't good or bad - it's just food. They serve a lot of veggies there so I like it more than the cheap food at McDonald's. OTOH, the thought of that sickly sweet, gooey, orange chicken kind of turns my stomach.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 04:24:03 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:45:21 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>>>

> wrote in message
m...

>>> yes and they are very good
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=soy+noodles&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

>>> Well I hope you were the one that actually cut them up and did not buy
>>> that chemically infused chicken they sell at stores

>>> More chemically infused cap usually with refined sugar, and/or corn
>>> syrup. It is so easy to make.

>>> The only ingredient that I usually don't have readily available in my
>>> kitchen is fresh oranges since I am more of an apple strawberry banana
>>> and pineapple eater. So "going out to buy" a bunch of ingredients
>>> sounds a good bit like an excuse

>>I rarely have any fruit. Don't like it. Don't use cornstarch or Tamari.
>>Don't and won't use canola oil. Don't usually have green onions either.

> You don't use soy sauce? tamari is soy without the wheat, they tasted
> exactly the same though... I don't really use much canola either
> mainly just EVOO or just OO... I could not go without green
> onions/scallions... I have a nice little patch of them in my garden

Tamari is actually a raw soy sauce. Kikkoman is a cooked, GF soy sauce. I
avoid soy and don't like the taste of soy sauce or most Asian food. I do use
soy sauce in cooking. My gardener likes Asian food.

I grow onions when it's warmer here. We have a short growing season though.
So I tend to use mostly white, yellow or sweet onions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-02-27 7:24 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I rarely have any fruit. Don't like it. Don't use cornstarch or Tamari.
>> Don't and won't use canola oil. Don't usually have green onions either.

> Oh come on now. Why don't you just write down the whole list of things you
> don't like and get it over with.

I'll start my list!

1. Dave Smith

Should I go on?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 21:12:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 6:45:58 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> The Asians don't call it anything. It's a dish made by Americans for
>>> Americans.
>>>
>>> Yep.

>>Here's a video of Chinese folks eating Panda Chinese food. The interesting
>>part is the attitude towards food of the old people vs. the younger
>>Chinese. It's fairly obvious that the old people have endured times when
>>food was scarce. The younger generation has so much disdain for what they
>>eat.

> If it's bad, it's bad. That has nothing to do with disdain or respect.
> But maybe those young people have been McDonaldofied and just don't
> like any Chinese food.

Actually a lot of young people I know, *do* like food from Panda Express and
things of that ilk. They don't necessarily are for more authentic Chinese
food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 22:14:57 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 21:12:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>>Here's a video of Chinese folks eating Panda Chinese food. The interesting
>>>part is the attitude towards food of the old people vs. the younger
>>>Chinese. It's fairly obvious that the old people have endured times when
>>>food was scarce. The younger generation has so much disdain for what they
>>>eat.

>> If it's bad, it's bad. That has nothing to do with disdain or respect.
>> But maybe those young people have been McDonaldofied and just don't
>> like any Chinese food.

>Actually a lot of young people I know, *do* like food from Panda Express and
>things of that ilk. They don't necessarily are for more authentic Chinese
>food.

It would be sad if that included young people with a Chinese
background.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 22:14:57 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 21:12:41 -0800 (PST), dsi1

>>> If it's bad, it's bad. That has nothing to do with disdain or respect.
>>> But maybe those young people have been McDonaldofied and just don't
>>> like any Chinese food.

>>Actually a lot of young people I know, *do* like food from Panda Express
>>and
>>things of that ilk. They don't necessarily are for more authentic Chinese
>>food.

> It would be sad if that included young people with a Chinese
> background.

I don't think it does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Actually a lot of young people I know, *do* like food from Panda Express and
> things of that ilk. They don't necessarily are for more authentic Chinese
> food.

Darn place finally opened up here and only about 1.5 miles from
me. I've really wanted to check it out but still haven't gone.

1) I rarely go that direction
2) Whenever I do go that way it's always early and
before they ever open.
3) Later in my morning, I won't drive just for restaurant food.
I'll just make something decent at home.

Oh well....maybe some day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-28 1:12 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2019-02-27 7:24 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>> I rarely have any fruit. Don't like it. Don't use cornstarch or
>>> Tamari. Don't and won't use canola oil. Don't usually have green
>>> onions either.

>> Oh come on now. Why don't you just write down the whole list of things
>> you don't like and get it over with.

> I'll start my list!
>
> 1. Dave Smith
>
> Should I go on?

Ouch. My day is shattered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:10:57 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Actually a lot of young people I know, *do* like food from Panda Express and
>> things of that ilk. They don't necessarily are for more authentic Chinese
>> food.

>Darn place finally opened up here and only about 1.5 miles from
>me. I've really wanted to check it out but still haven't gone.
>
>1) I rarely go that direction

Did you know that you're in control of which direction you go in?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-02-28 1:12 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Oh come on now. Why don't you just write down the whole list of things
>>> you don't like and get it over with.

>> I'll start my list!
>>
>> 1. Dave Smith
>>
>> Should I go on?

> Ouch. My day is shattered.

Go drink some oak milk. That'll cheer you up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Actually a lot of young people I know, *do* like food from Panda Express
>> and
>> things of that ilk. They don't necessarily are for more authentic Chinese
>> food.

> Darn place finally opened up here and only about 1.5 miles from
> me. I've really wanted to check it out but still haven't gone.
>
> 1) I rarely go that direction
> 2) Whenever I do go that way it's always early and
> before they ever open.
> 3) Later in my morning, I won't drive just for restaurant food.
> I'll just make something decent at home.
>
> Oh well....maybe some day.

I bought some for Angela on the way home some years ago. I had been out
shopping all day. They got the order all screwed up for one thing. Gave me
stuff I knew she wouldn't eat. Then put the stuff I had ordered on top of
that. Wouldn't make it over. Pulled an attitude.

I had to throw it out. Was all dried out from being on the steam table too
long. Even the rice was crispy. She might be young but she appreciates good
Asian food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:10:57 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually a lot of young people I know, *do* like food from Panda Express
>>> and
>>> things of that ilk. They don't necessarily are for more authentic
>>> Chinese
>>> food.

>>Darn place finally opened up here and only about 1.5 miles from
>>me. I've really wanted to check it out but still haven't gone.
>>
>>1) I rarely go that direction

> Did you know that you're in control of which direction you go in?

If he's like me, he only goes to places in the direction he is headed. I
hate going out of my way to other places unless it's for something I really
need!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/26/2019 5:58 PM, wrote:
>> On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 2:08:39 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Back in the days when I used to eat oranges we used to do this oven
>>> fried orange chicken dish frequently. This week we happened to have
>>> some oranges in the house and, having recently cleaned out the old
>>> fridge we had some frozen orange juice. My wife asked me to do this one
>>> for her.
>>>
>>> Preheat the oven to 425 (good time to throw in a potato to bake because
>>> they go well with it.
>>>
>>> Cut chicken into serving size pieces.... drumsticks, thighs, breasts,
>>> wings. Toss the wings in seasoned flour.
>>>
>>> Mix eggs with orange juice concentrate and mix up some dried bread
>>> crumbs (or Panko) with salt, pepper and orange zest.
>>>
>>> Melt some butter. Smear some of it in the bottom of a baking pan.
>>>
>>> Dip the chicken parts in the egg and orange juice mixture and then into
>>> the crumbs and then lay them skin side down in the buttered pan.
>>>
>>> Bake for 45 minutes, turning them half way through.
>>>

>> It's probably good but does not sound appealing to me.
>>

> Ditto, Joan. I'm not a big fan of oranges so cooking with orange juice
> doesn't appeal to me. I'm glad Dave and his wife liked it.

I do like orange chicken if *I* make it. But I use orange sauce and just a
touch. Too much sauce and... Yuck! Years ago I got lemon chicken at a
Safeway. I loved it. They quit making it. I realized though that it was the
lemon sauce I liked. Not so much the chicken. Have not found a similar
recipe and I'm sure it was some Americanized crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-28 9:45 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> I'll start my list!
>>>
>>> 1. Dave Smith
>>>
>>> Should I go on?

>> Ouch. My day is shattered.

> Go drink some oak milk. That'll cheer you up!

It is oat milk you silly retard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 22:22:52 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-28 9:45 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Ouch. My day is shattered.

>> Go drink some oak milk. That'll cheer you up!

>It is oat milk you silly retard.

What? I already saw you hoisting yourself up a big old oak tree with a
glass in your hand!