Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what do you like to serve with scallops?

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:11:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> > Scallops from cold water are always better, as indeed much fish is as
>> > well. Though I like some tropical type fish once in a while, cold
>> > water is superior, in my opinion.

>> I'm with you. Especially oysters, which I only eat raw.

>Cold weather seafood. I'm on board with you two.
>Cindy only eats oysters raw? Ewwww
>I do hope you at least chew the raw ones.
>Those oyster eating competitions, they just swallow the
>entire animal whole. What a waste of an animals life
>just for a game. All you taste is the salty slime.
>
>Have you ever had them cooked?
>Just one minute cooking does it and improves the
>flavor in my worthless personal opinion.
>Just steamed in shell is better than raw.
>Battered and fried is my favorite.
>
>Many people have died from eating raw. Cooking can potentially
>save your life. That usually depends on the weather conditions
>where oysters are harvested.

My mother made oyster stew every Christmas Eve. I couldn't gag it
down so I got my oysters raw in a dish with a bit of vinegar and salt
and pepper. That was good. Now I can't seem to eat oysters in any
fashion. I think it is because the only ones out here come in
refrigerated jars. ewwww
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:11:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> > Scallops from cold water are always better, as indeed much fish is as
>> > well. Though I like some tropical type fish once in a while, cold
>> > water is superior, in my opinion.

>> I'm with you. Especially oysters, which I only eat raw.

>Cold weather seafood. I'm on board with you two.
>Cindy only eats oysters raw? Ewwww
>I do hope you at least chew the raw ones.
>Those oyster eating competitions, they just swallow the
>entire animal whole. What a waste of an animals life
>just for a game. All you taste is the salty slime.
>
>Have you ever had them cooked?
>Just one minute cooking does it and improves the
>flavor in my worthless personal opinion.
>Just steamed in shell is better than raw.
>Battered and fried is my favorite.
>
>Many people have died from eating raw. Cooking can potentially
>save your life. That usually depends on the weather conditions
>where oysters are harvested.

I like Oysters Kilpatrick
https://www.thespruceeats.com/oyster...-recipe-256024
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:23:37 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Yep. I'm just a wild risk-taker. Next I'll take up sky diving.

>I plan to do sky diving myself just as soon as my doctor says I
>only have a few months left to live. Go out with a bang.

Probably be more of a splattttt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 10:18 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:11:08 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I'm with you. Especially oysters, which I only eat raw.

>> Cold weather seafood. I'm on board with you two.
>> Cindy only eats oysters raw? Ewwww
>> I do hope you at least chew the raw ones.

> Of course. They're so expensive, I don't want to waste
> any flavor. I generally add no condiments.
>
> There's an oyster bar that I patronize. They have several
> different oysters from several different locations. They'll
> let you mix it up. I like the variety of flavors that each
> oyster's terroir brings.
>
>> Those oyster eating competitions, they just swallow the
>> entire animal whole. What a waste of an animals life
>> just for a game. All you taste is the salty slime.
>>
>> Have you ever had them cooked?

> Yes. I still prefer them raw.
>
>> Just one minute cooking does it and improves the
>> flavor in my worthless personal opinion.

> Not worthless, just personal. I'm a different person.
>
>> Just steamed in shell is better than raw.
>> Battered and fried is my favorite.
>>
>> Many people have died from eating raw. Cooking can potentially
>> save your life. That usually depends on the weather conditions
>> where oysters are harvested.

> Yep. I'm just a wild risk-taker. Next I'll take up sky diving.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Most anyone can sky dive. I want to see you sky dive and eat oysters on
the way down!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Yep. I'm just a wild risk-taker. Next I'll take up sky diving.

I plan to do sky diving myself just as soon as my doctor says I
only have a few months left to live. Go out with a bang.

==

My husband did a lot of that in the military. He hated every single jump
and wouldn't do it now if you paid him lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-28 6:13 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
>> Scallops from cold water are always better, as indeed much fish is as
>> well. Though I like some tropical type fish once in a while, cold
>> water is superior, in my opinion.

> I'm with you. Especially oysters, which I only eat raw.

Even fresh water fish is better from cold water. There used to be a
trout farm near here. They tasted a little muddy in the summer but in
the winter they were much better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:42:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/28/2019 10:18 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Cold weather seafood. I'm on board with you two.
>>> Cindy only eats oysters raw? Ewwww
>>> I do hope you at least chew the raw ones.

>> Of course. They're so expensive, I don't want to waste
>> any flavor. I generally add no condiments.
>>
>> There's an oyster bar that I patronize. They have several
>> different oysters from several different locations. They'll
>> let you mix it up. I like the variety of flavors that each
>> oyster's terroir brings.
>>
>>> Those oyster eating competitions, they just swallow the
>>> entire animal whole. What a waste of an animals life
>>> just for a game. All you taste is the salty slime.
>>>
>>> Have you ever had them cooked?

>> Yes. I still prefer them raw.
>>
>>> Just one minute cooking does it and improves the
>>> flavor in my worthless personal opinion.

>> Not worthless, just personal. I'm a different person.
>>
>>> Just steamed in shell is better than raw.
>>> Battered and fried is my favorite.
>>>
>>> Many people have died from eating raw. Cooking can potentially
>>> save your life. That usually depends on the weather conditions
>>> where oysters are harvested.

>> Yep. I'm just a wild risk-taker. Next I'll take up sky diving.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Most anyone can sky dive. I want to see you sky dive and eat oysters on
>the way down!

You going to dive alongside him to check she actually does it??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-28 10:23 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Yep. I'm just a wild risk-taker. Next I'll take up sky diving.

> I plan to do sky diving myself just as soon as my doctor says I
> only have a few months left to live. Go out with a bang.

That is something I have thought about but discounted when I heard the
price. My friend's family chipped in and bought him a skydiving
experience as a retirement experience. Having been an airline pilot for
more than 30 years he had a hard time with the thought of jumping out of
a plane. He enjoyed it, but he said he isn't going to spend that kind
of money for a few minutes of fun.

My father was a member of the Caterpillar Club, those who had saved
survived by bailing out of a disabled plane. Their plane was shot down
and he was the only one who got out. The parachute opened just seconds
before he landed in a freshly plowed field, and he hit the ground just
about the same time the plane did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-28 10:30 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:11:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>> Many people have died from eating raw. Cooking can potentially
>> save your life. That usually depends on the weather conditions
>> where oysters are harvested.

> My mother made oyster stew every Christmas Eve. I couldn't gag it
> down so I got my oysters raw in a dish with a bit of vinegar and salt
> and pepper. That was good. Now I can't seem to eat oysters in any
> fashion. I think it is because the only ones out here come in
> refrigerated jars. ewwww

I have not had raw oysters in a while, but I do like them. They are like
a tonic. I always feel really good within minutes of eating them. When
we were first married we often ate smoked oysters. We ate them so often
that I got tired of them and did not eat them for years. A couple years
ago I gave them a try again. They are still good. I might buy them more
often if they came in a can with only a half dozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 12:00:04 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-28 10:30 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:11:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>>> Many people have died from eating raw. Cooking can potentially
>>> save your life. That usually depends on the weather conditions
>>> where oysters are harvested.

>> My mother made oyster stew every Christmas Eve. I couldn't gag it
>> down so I got my oysters raw in a dish with a bit of vinegar and salt
>> and pepper. That was good. Now I can't seem to eat oysters in any
>> fashion. I think it is because the only ones out here come in
>> refrigerated jars. ewwww

>I have not had raw oysters in a while, but I do like them. They are like
>a tonic. I always feel really good within minutes of eating them. When
>we were first married we often ate smoked oysters. We ate them so often
>that I got tired of them and did not eat them for years. A couple years
>ago I gave them a try again. They are still good. I might buy them more
>often if they came in a can with only a half dozen.

"Oysters And Me"
A novel by Dave Smith
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 11:54 AM, wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:42:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Of course. They're so expensive, I don't want to waste
>>> any flavor. I generally add no condiments.
>>>
>>> There's an oyster bar that I patronize. They have several
>>> different oysters from several different locations. They'll
>>> let you mix it up. I like the variety of flavors that each
>>> oyster's terroir brings.

>>> Yes. I still prefer them raw.

>>> Not worthless, just personal. I'm a different person.

>>> Yep. I'm just a wild risk-taker. Next I'll take up sky diving.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Most anyone can sky dive. I want to see you sky dive and eat oysters on
>> the way down!

> You going to dive alongside him to check she actually does it??

Photos would be accepted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> On 2019-02-27 4:54 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> > Ophelia wrote:

> > > Agreed, Janet. I think turmeric, sliced red beets and mushrooms,
> > > sliced rings of onions and then a bowl of stewed tomatoes with
> > > mild green chiles... way too overpowering.
> > >
> > > It really needs to be simple, IMHO. In this case I'm surprised
> > > Carol didn't simply suggest pan fried scallops in oil with minced
> > > ginger and garlic and deglazed with a little stock (or whatever
> > > the current popular Asian broth is called) and finished with a
> > > dash of soy sauce. Plated with rice. Or noodles.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > The way I saw it (I could be wrong) Carol offered a few to choose
> > > from, not pile them all up on one plate, Carol?

> > Yup! Tumeric was only for color BTW, has almost no flavor.
> >

> Really? I find turmeric has an unpleasant earthy flavour and I
> wouldn't maltreat scallops with it.

Lightly used and my idea posted didnt use it on the scallops.

I guess I am sorry I posted ideas at all now since they got very mixed
up from what i said.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
> >
> > On 2/26/2019 5:39 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> >> that's a beautiful plate but a little heavy on fats and seasonings
> >> for me to go with scallops. Just a different taste approach.

> thanks
> > >

> > Agreed, Janet. I think turmeric, sliced red beets and mushrooms,
> > sliced rings of onions and then a bowl of stewed tomatoes with mild
> > green chiles... way too overpowering.
> >
> > It really needs to be simple, IMHO. In this case I'm surprised
> > Carol didn't simply suggest pan fried scallops in oil with minced
> > ginger and garlic and deglazed with a little stock (or whatever the
> > current popular Asian broth is called) and finished with a dash of
> > soy sauce. Plated with rice. Or noodles.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > The way I saw it (I could be wrong) Carol offered a few to choose
> > from, not pile them all up on one plate, Carol?

> Yup! Tumeric was only for color BTW, has almost no flavor.
>
> It's totally fine if she doesn't like what I'd do but the cost of
> scallops means this would be a special meal so we'd take time to make
> it pretty. Above the items that were separate, got all mixed together
> somehow. (beets and mushroom dish? Ick!).
>
> I'd have picked 3 off the list and the spice load is low on all of
> them. I probably phrased it wrong thereby causing confusion.
>
> ===
>
> What confusion?? It was clear enough to me.

Well apparently there was confusion and now I am sorry I even answered
the post. A few pinches of Tumeric is now some bitter over the top
thing to color a white sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> My mother made oyster stew every Christmas Eve. I couldn't gag it
> down so I got my oysters raw in a dish with a bit of vinegar and salt
> and pepper. That was good. Now I can't seem to eat oysters in any
> fashion. I think it is because the only ones out here come in
> refrigerated jars. ewwww

That depends on your mom's recipe. I've got a good one.
Refridgerated oysters are ok now as long as you get them
with a few days of packing date.
Personally, other than at a restaurant, I've always killed my
oysters. Either ones I harvested or nowadays from the local
fish market. He's the only one nearby left so I try to support
him.

I went to a friend's house for Thanksgiving dinner one year back
in the mid-70s. His wife made an oyster stuffing for the turkey.
Best darn stuffing I ever even dreamed of. The next year I cooked
my own turkey and made an oyster stuffing. No recipe, no
cookbooks that had that, and no internet to look it up.

It was a fail....way too much oyster taste. Turns out I should
have used the oyster meat only and not all the liquid/liquer from
the shells. I should have asked first but hey...live and learn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I like Oysters Kilpatrick

https://www.thespruceeats.com/oyster...-recipe-256024

I looked that up and sounds good to me. My only concern was
cooking long enough to cook the bacon. That would over-cook the
oysters. I would have cut the bacon and cooked that to almost
done before adding it to the oysters, then in oven.

Same thing when I read about people wrapping raw bacon around a
shrimp. By time that bacon is cooked the shrimp is WAY
overcooked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-01 11:30 a.m., Gary wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> I like Oysters Kilpatrick

https://www.thespruceeats.com/oyster...-recipe-256024

> I looked that up and sounds good to me. My only concern was
> cooking long enough to cook the bacon. That would over-cook the
> oysters. I would have cut the bacon and cooked that to almost
> done before adding it to the oysters, then in oven.
>
> Same thing when I read about people wrapping raw bacon around a
> shrimp. By time that bacon is cooked the shrimp is WAY
> overcooked.

Maybe the trick is to get much larger shrimp which will take longer to
cook, make sure that the shrimp is completely wrapped so that the heat
has to get through the bacon to the shrimp. I remember about 30 years
ago a lot of restaurants were doing a similar dish with scallops. Those
suckers cook even faster than shrimp. Despite being over cooked, they
were pretty good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Mar 2019 11:30:55 -0500, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> I like Oysters Kilpatrick
>> https://www.thespruceeats.com/oyster...-recipe-256024

>I looked that up and sounds good to me. My only concern was
>cooking long enough to cook the bacon. That would over-cook the
>oysters. I would have cut the bacon and cooked that to almost
>done before adding it to the oysters, then in oven.
>
>Same thing when I read about people wrapping raw bacon around a
>shrimp. By time that bacon is cooked the shrimp is WAY
>overcooked.

Agreed, I cook the bacon first.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I like Oysters Kilpatrick

https://www.thespruceeats.com/oyster...-recipe-256024

>> I looked that up and sounds good to me. My only concern was
>> cooking long enough to cook the bacon. That would over-cook the
>> oysters. I would have cut the bacon and cooked that to almost
>> done before adding it to the oysters, then in oven.
>>
>> Same thing when I read about people wrapping raw bacon around a
>> shrimp. By time that bacon is cooked the shrimp is WAY
>> overcooked.

> Agreed, I cook the bacon first.

Better still, don't use bacon in the first place. Its strong flavour
overpowers the delicate sweetness of the shellfish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/oyster...-recipe-256024

>>> I looked that up and sounds good to me. My only concern was
>>> cooking long enough to cook the bacon. That would over-cook the
>>> oysters. I would have cut the bacon and cooked that to almost
>>> done before adding it to the oysters, then in oven.
>>>
>>> Same thing when I read about people wrapping raw bacon around a
>>> shrimp. By time that bacon is cooked the shrimp is WAY
>>> overcooked.

>> Agreed, I cook the bacon first.
>>

>Better still, don't use bacon in the first place. Its strong flavour
>overpowers the delicate sweetness of the shellfish.

To a certain degree, but not unpleasantly so, I always had them raw
until I was served these.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Are you saying you prefer to eat those poor little creatures live?

His only concern about animals are certain land animals, not all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2019 12:10:57 -0500, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> Are you saying you prefer to eat those poor little creatures live?

>His only concern about animals are certain land animals, not all.

Oh okay, wonder why he doesn't feel they are sentient animals?

Boutique investment bank Detwiler Fenton says Wal-Mart plans to sell a new, lower-priced single-serve coffee brewer this spring. Detwiler says the machine, developed with ESIO Beverage, will €ślikely be a game changer in the single-serve category€ť `.@...' Coffee 0 03-02-2012 01:20 PM
What else should I serve? Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 32 20-09-2009 01:22 PM
what to serve pfoley General Cooking 33 18-09-2006 10:19 PM
Slice, serve, lick thumb, slice, serve... Buzinkum General Cooking 46 08-12-2005 04:12 AM
Scallops - how to cook "wet" scallops? Scot General Cooking 11 27-02-2004 05:13 PM