Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what do you like to serve with scallops?

On 2/26/2019 10:53 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 09:38:59 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 10:23:47 -0700, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> What do you like with scallops? My mind won't settle. I need some
>>> ideas.
>>> thanks
>>> Janet US

>> Shrimp. Because they're half the price of sea scallops and help
>> fill me up. Along with a rice pilaf or butter-garlic-parsley egg
>> noodles.
>>
>> -sw

> LOL, but scallops are a treat ;-)

Yep, and scallops taste much better (at least to me) that shrimp.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:55:52 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/26/2019 10:53 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 09:38:59 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> Shrimp. Because they're half the price of sea scallops and help
>>> fill me up. Along with a rice pilaf or butter-garlic-parsley egg
>>> noodles.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> LOL, but scallops are a treat ;-)
>>

>Yep, and scallops taste much better (at least to me) that shrimp.

If you eat as much as Sqwertz, it's very expensive to "fill up" on
scallops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-26 8:55 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/26/2019 10:53 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> LOL, but scallops are a treat ;-)
>>

> Yep, and scallops taste much better (at least to me) that shrimp.

I wish I was in a position to know. Both are better fresh than frozen,
but around here those things are either in the freezer compartment or
on ice with note that they re previously frozen. Big shrimp tend to be
much better than small shrimp and large scallops are better than small
ones. The price reflects that relative quality. Small shrimps are quite
affordable but the big suckers are very expensive. You can get bags of
frozen bay scallops for about twice the price of shrimp. Those nice big
scallops that are nice for pan searing are going to cost about $4 or
more apiece.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 21:57:38 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-26 8:55 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/26/2019 10:53 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> LOL, but scallops are a treat ;-)
>>>

>> Yep, and scallops taste much better (at least to me) that shrimp.

>I wish I was in a position to know. Both are better fresh than frozen,
>but around here those things are either in the freezer compartment or
>on ice with note that they re previously frozen. Big shrimp tend to be
>much better than small shrimp and large scallops are better than small
>ones. The price reflects that relative quality. Small shrimps are quite
>affordable but the big suckers are very expensive. You can get bags of
>frozen bay scallops for about twice the price of shrimp. Those nice big
>scallops that are nice for pan searing are going to cost about $4 or
>more apiece.

obviously I am dealing with frozen for either. I buy them at Costco
and just bite the bullet knowing I am going to have to spend around 50
dollars for a bag of wild caught shrimp ( 4 pounds0 or 30 dollars for
a smaller bag of scallops(don't recall pounds). I had my first taste
of scallops when I briefly lived in New Jersey and I loved them. Those
of you next to the ocean can get fresh caught, I can't.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:28:06 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/26/2019 8:00 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:24:40 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Oh dear, am I too late? It really depends on how you cook the scallops.
>>> Pan seared? Do you want sauced or just side dish ideas?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> no, not too late. There's always next time and also learning how
>> others view prep and serving. As I said, my brain was stuck. It's
>> good to see what others do. So sauced? sure. Side dishes, yes,
>> please :-)
>> Janet US
>>

>I would personally do pan seared scallops and if you'd like a sauce make
>a garlic cream sauce. In my case, side dishes would likely involve
>angel hair pasta. There might even be some spinach involved.
>
>Jill

I hadn't thought of spinach. That hot spinach salad might be nice as
the only accompaniment to the scallops. a smidge of light cream sauce
might be nice. thx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2019 9:57 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-26 8:55 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/26/2019 10:53 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> LOL, but scallops are a treat ;-)
>>>

>> Yep, and scallops taste much better (at least to me) that shrimp.

> I wish I was in a position to know. Both are better fresh than frozen,
> but* around here those things are either in the freezer compartment or
> on ice with* note that they re previously frozen.* Big shrimp tend to be
> much better than small shrimp and large scallops are better than small
> ones. The price reflects that relative quality.* Small shrimps are quite
> affordable but the big suckers are very expensive.* You can get bags of
> frozen bay scallops for about twice the price of shrimp.* Those nice big
> scallops that are nice for pan searing are going to cost about $4 or
> more apiece.

Wild caught, never frozen, are about $16 tp $20 a pound here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 2/26/2019 5:39 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 16:27:49 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>

>>> What do you like with scallops? My mind won't settle. I need some
>>> ideas.
>>> thanks
>>> Janet US

>> Eggplant (Asian type, not bitter and no skinning) for the vibrant color
>> is a top pick. Steamed likely.
>>
>> Then a bright green vegetable like whole snap beans, ends trimmed and
>> sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic.
>>
>> Other things to expand th plate (I generally have 3 sides): A 'white
>> sauce' with Tumeric added for color over a mix of fetucini and colorful
>> spiral pasta. A few slices of jarred red beets. A mushroom medly with
>> several types sauteed together with a few rings or 1/2 moons of sweet
>> red onion, and a mix of olive oil and butter. A bowl of stewed whole
>> tomatoes with mild green chiles or chives.
>>
>> Basically I'd want the purity of the scallops to shine whitely and hen
>> 'eye pop' the rest with color but not too strongly flavored so they
>> don't mask the scallops.

> that's a beautiful plate but a little heavy on fats and seasonings for
> me to go with scallops. Just a different taste approach. thanks

Agreed, Janet. I think turmeric, sliced red beets and mushrooms, sliced
rings of onions and then a bowl of stewed tomatoes with mild green
chiles... way too overpowering.

It really needs to be simple, IMHO. In this case I'm surprised Carol
didn't simply suggest pan fried scallops in oil with minced ginger and
garlic and deglazed with a little stock (or whatever the current popular
Asian broth is called) and finished with a dash of soy sauce. Plated
with rice. Or noodles.

Jill

==

The way I saw it (I could be wrong) Carol offered a few to choose from, not
pile them all up on one plate, Carol?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> What do you like with scallops? My mind won't settle. I need some
> ideas.

Well I sat on this one just to see what others have said.
Scallops are the one shellfish that I don't buy too often.

Don't worry about frozen ones. Just as good as fresh. Jill buys
frozen ones and she lives right beside the ocean. Only time you
might get them fresh at the seaside is from local seafood(only)
market, or have them served in locally owned restaurants. That's
it. I've cooked both and no significant difference at all.

Anyway, for small bay scallops, I stir fry them in a nip of oil.
High heat, quick sear and they are done.

For the larger sea scallops, nip of oil and pan sear top, then
bottom, then I'll even sear on the rounded side...sear and slowly
roll around the pan. Just that side searing often finishes them.
If not quite just turn down heat for another minute.

I prefer them pretty much on their own...a large appetizer or a
small entree. For occasional seasoning, I like a very small
drizzle of:
- just 1 TBS melted salted butter
- only 2-3 drops of lemon
- tinyest nip of garlic powder (or just a shred of real garlic
clove)

You want the flavor of the butter with just barest hint of the
lemon and garlic.
Ed's white wine sounds good to me but just a few drops

Sides to serve with? Around the beach here, locals like to keep
it simple. Let the seafood be the star of the dish. Very common
here (and with most seafood dinners) is just a simple side of
fries with s&p. That gives you a nice variety of taste but not
intrusive at all. The seafood of choice will still remain the
star.

One more thing...if you just make them seared only, use a neutral
tasting oil with maybe a bit of butter mixed in.

Anyway, just more for you to consider next time. HTH
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:12:13 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> What do you like with scallops? My mind won't settle. I need some
>> ideas.

>Well I sat on this one just to see what others have said.
>Scallops are the one shellfish that I don't buy too often.
>
>Don't worry about frozen ones. Just as good as fresh. Jill buys
>frozen ones and she lives right beside the ocean. Only time you
>might get them fresh at the seaside is from local seafood(only)
>market, or have them served in locally owned restaurants. That's
>it. I've cooked both and no significant difference at all.
>
>Anyway, for small bay scallops, I stir fry them in a nip of oil.
>High heat, quick sear and they are done.
>
>For the larger sea scallops, nip of oil and pan sear top, then
>bottom, then I'll even sear on the rounded side...sear and slowly
>roll around the pan. Just that side searing often finishes them.
>If not quite just turn down heat for another minute.
>
>I prefer them pretty much on their own...a large appetizer or a
>small entree. For occasional seasoning, I like a very small
>drizzle of:
>- just 1 TBS melted salted butter
>- only 2-3 drops of lemon
>- tinyest nip of garlic powder (or just a shred of real garlic
>clove)
>
>You want the flavor of the butter with just barest hint of the
>lemon and garlic.
>Ed's white wine sounds good to me but just a few drops
>
>Sides to serve with? Around the beach here, locals like to keep
>it simple. Let the seafood be the star of the dish. Very common
>here (and with most seafood dinners) is just a simple side of
>fries with s&p. That gives you a nice variety of taste but not
>intrusive at all. The seafood of choice will still remain the
>star.
>
>One more thing...if you just make them seared only, use a neutral
>tasting oil with maybe a bit of butter mixed in.
>
>Anyway, just more for you to consider next time. HTH

thanks. You and I are part of the keep it simple group..
thanks for taking the time

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> obviously I am dealing with frozen ... I had my first taste
> of scallops when I briefly lived in New Jersey and I loved them. Those
> of you next to the ocean can get fresh caught, I can't.\

Again....not a thing wrong with frozen. The most expensive tuna
served raw in restaurants was frozen at sea. All large fish are
frozen at sea.

At seaside, only way to maybe get fresh scallops is local seafood
market and at privately owned local restaurants.

YOU can get frozen. Consider it fresh, taste wise.

Not only that....I have never seen a live scallop in shell sold
even in a seafood market. They are always removed from shell.
Unlike clams and oysters where you open the shell and eat
everything inside, you don't eat the entire scallop. All you eat
is the muscle that opens and closes the thing. Scallop 'guts' are
discarded and never sold.

Again Sheldon lied about "slurping down fresh scallops" on Long
Island years ago. What a choad. heheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:45:08 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> obviously I am dealing with frozen ... I had my first taste
>> of scallops when I briefly lived in New Jersey and I loved them. Those
>> of you next to the ocean can get fresh caught, I can't.\

>Again....not a thing wrong with frozen. The most expensive tuna
>served raw in restaurants was frozen at sea. All large fish are
>frozen at sea.
>
>At seaside, only way to maybe get fresh scallops is local seafood
>market and at privately owned local restaurants.
>
>YOU can get frozen. Consider it fresh, taste wise.
>
>Not only that....I have never seen a live scallop in shell sold
>even in a seafood market. They are always removed from shell.
>Unlike clams and oysters where you open the shell and eat
>everything inside, you don't eat the entire scallop. All you eat
>is the muscle that opens and closes the thing. Scallop 'guts' are
>discarded and never sold.
>
>Again Sheldon lied about "slurping down fresh scallops" on Long
>Island years ago. What a choad. heheh

Not necessarily, I have had them straight from the sea, I guess even
still alive, just opened the shell, cut out the part to eat (the
muscle) and left the rest on the shell for the gulls.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Not only that....I have never seen a live scallop in shell sold
> even in a seafood market. They are always removed from shell.
> Unlike clams and oysters where you open the shell and eat
> everything inside, you don't eat the entire scallop. All you eat
> is the muscle that opens and closes the thing. Scallop 'guts' are
> discarded and never sold.

well, the raw scallop i had 'et was in a
sal****er tank, you selected the size you wanted
and the chef took it out of the water and did all
the prep work in front of you (if you wanted to
watch - i did). yum.

it was one of those once-in-a-lifetime things
as i had liked sashimi of various kinds before
so worth a try.

some place on the east coast in New Haven i
think it was, many years ago, when sushi was just
ending the first phase of hitting the states.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2019 9:57 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-26 8:55 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/26/2019 10:53 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> LOL, but scallops are a treat ;-)
>>>

>> Yep, and scallops taste much better (at least to me) that shrimp.

> I wish I was in a position to know. Both are better fresh than frozen,
> but* around here those things are either in the freezer compartment or
> on ice with* note that they re previously frozen.* Big shrimp tend to be
> much better than small shrimp and large scallops are better than small
> ones. The price reflects that relative quality.* Small shrimps are quite
> affordable but the big suckers are very expensive.* You can get bags of
> frozen bay scallops for about twice the price of shrimp.* Those nice big
> scallops that are nice for pan searing are going to cost about $4 or
> more apiece.

I like both, the big scallops and the small ones. But you're absolutely
right about the "previously frozen". That's why I don't generally buy
the large scallops in the seafood case. Unless I'm planning to cook
them within a day or two I'm going to freeze them which means I'd be
*re-freezing* them. So I just buy a bag of the frozen sea scallops.
Also nice because I can portion out and thaw however many I want and
just put the rest back in the freezer. The bag has a zip-lock type seal.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2019 10:26 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:28:06 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/26/2019 8:00 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> no, not too late. There's always next time and also learning how
>>> others view prep and serving. As I said, my brain was stuck. It's
>>> good to see what others do. So sauced? sure. Side dishes, yes,
>>> please :-)
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I would personally do pan seared scallops and if you'd like a sauce make
>> a garlic cream sauce. In my case, side dishes would likely involve
>> angel hair pasta. There might even be some spinach involved.
>>
>> Jill

> I hadn't thought of spinach. That hot spinach salad might be nice as
> the only accompaniment to the scallops. a smidge of light cream sauce
> might be nice. thx

You're welcome! Now you've got me craving scallops...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 11:12 AM, Gary wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> What do you like with scallops? My mind won't settle. I need some
>> ideas.

> Well I sat on this one just to see what others have said.
> Scallops are the one shellfish that I don't buy too often.
>
> Don't worry about frozen ones. Just as good as fresh. Jill buys
> frozen ones and she lives right beside the ocean.

Yep! Around here people talk about the shrimp boats and the fresh srimp
available at local seafood markets. I've never heard of any shrimpers
who also dredge for scallops. Maybe they have to go further out to sea
for scallops. <shrug> I have no problem with the frozen ones. In fact,
in my reply to Dave on the subject of frozen scallops I explained why,
but I'll say it again.

The sign in front of the raw scallops in the seafood case at the
supermarket always indicates they were previously frozen. So... unless
I'm planning to cook them within a few days of purchase, I'd likely be
putting them into the freezer. I don't want to refreeze scallops (the
texture might suffer) so I buy the bag of flash frozen ones. I can
portion out exactly the amount I want and put the zipper bag containing
the rest back in the freezer. This goes for both the large "sea"
scallops and the smaller "bay" scallops. The frozen bags of the small
(aka "bay") scallops I see at the store are labelled Patagonian; they
come from Argentina.

Jill

> Only time you
> might get them fresh at the seaside is from local seafood(only)
> market, or have them served in locally owned restaurants. That's
> it. I've cooked both and no significant difference at all.
>
> Anyway, for small bay scallops, I stir fry them in a nip of oil.
> High heat, quick sear and they are done.
>
> For the larger sea scallops, nip of oil and pan sear top, then
> bottom, then I'll even sear on the rounded side...sear and slowly
> roll around the pan. Just that side searing often finishes them.
> If not quite just turn down heat for another minute.
>
> I prefer them pretty much on their own...a large appetizer or a
> small entree. For occasional seasoning, I like a very small
> drizzle of:
> - just 1 TBS melted salted butter
> - only 2-3 drops of lemon
> - tinyest nip of garlic powder (or just a shred of real garlic
> clove)
>
> You want the flavor of the butter with just barest hint of the
> lemon and garlic.
> Ed's white wine sounds good to me but just a few drops
>
> Sides to serve with? Around the beach here, locals like to keep
> it simple. Let the seafood be the star of the dish. Very common
> here (and with most seafood dinners) is just a simple side of
> fries with s&p. That gives you a nice variety of taste but not
> intrusive at all. The seafood of choice will still remain the
> star.
>
> One more thing...if you just make them seared only, use a neutral
> tasting oil with maybe a bit of butter mixed in.
>
> Anyway, just more for you to consider next time. HTH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:08:48 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:
snip

>The sign in front of the raw scallops in the seafood case at the
>supermarket always indicates they were previously frozen. So... unless
>I'm planning to cook them within a few days of purchase, I'd likely be
>putting them into the freezer. I don't want to refreeze scallops (the
>texture might suffer) so I buy the bag of flash frozen ones. I can
>portion out exactly the amount I want and put the zipper bag containing
>the rest back in the freezer. This goes for both the large "sea"
>scallops and the smaller "bay" scallops. The frozen bags of the small
>(aka "bay") scallops I see at the store are labelled Patagonian; they
>come from Argentina.
>
>Jill

I just looked at the bag my frozen scallops were in. It's a 2 pound
bag, 15-20 scallops per pound. It says caught in the North Atlantic,
hand shucked immediately after capture and immediately individually
frozen. It gives instructions for thawing and says do not refreeze.
Kirkland Brand (Costco) I want to say it cost somewhere between
$30-$40, I just don't remember. When I buy a treat I've already
decided to accept the cost. They are good.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/26/2019 5:39 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> > > Eggplant (Asian type, not bitter and no skinning) for the vibrant
> > > color is a top pick. Steamed likely.
> > >
> > > Then a bright green vegetable like whole snap beans, ends trimmed
> > > and sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic.
> > >
> > > Other things to expand th plate (I generally have 3 sides): A
> > > 'white sauce' with Tumeric added for color over a mix of fetucini
> > > and colorful spiral pasta. A few slices of jarred red beets. A
> > > mushroom medly with several types sauteed together with a few
> > > rings or 1/2 moons of sweet red onion, and a mix of olive oil and
> > > butter. A bowl of stewed whole tomatoes with mild green chiles
> > > or chives.
> > >
> > > Basically I'd want the purity of the scallops to shine whitely
> > > and hen 'eye pop' the rest with color but not too strongly
> > > flavored so they don't mask the scallops.

> > that's a beautiful plate but a little heavy on fats and seasonings
> > for me to go with scallops. Just a different taste approach. thanks
> >

> Agreed, Janet. I think turmeric, sliced red beets and mushrooms,
> sliced rings of onions and then a bowl of stewed tomatoes with mild
> green chiles... way too overpowering.
>
> It really needs to be simple, IMHO. In this case I'm surprised Carol
> didn't simply suggest pan fried scallops in oil with minced ginger and
> garlic and deglazed with a little stock (or whatever the current
> popular Asian broth is called) and finished with a dash of soy sauce.
> Plated with rice. Or noodles.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> The way I saw it (I could be wrong) Carol offered a few to choose
> from, not pile them all up on one plate, Carol?

Yup! Tumeric was only for color BTW, has almost no flavor.

It's totally fine if she doesn't like what I'd do but the cost of
scallops means this would be a special meal so we'd take time to make
it pretty. Above the items that were separate, got all mixed together
somehow. (beets and mushroom dish? Ick!).

I'd have picked 3 off the list and the spice load is low on all of
them. I probably phrased it wrong thereby causing confusion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-27 4:54 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...

>>> that's a beautiful plate but a little heavy on fats and seasonings
>>> for me to go with scallops. Just a different taste approach. thanks
>>>

>> Agreed, Janet. I think turmeric, sliced red beets and mushrooms,
>> sliced rings of onions and then a bowl of stewed tomatoes with mild
>> green chiles... way too overpowering.
>>
>> It really needs to be simple, IMHO. In this case I'm surprised Carol
>> didn't simply suggest pan fried scallops in oil with minced ginger and
>> garlic and deglazed with a little stock (or whatever the current
>> popular Asian broth is called) and finished with a dash of soy sauce.
>> Plated with rice. Or noodles.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> The way I saw it (I could be wrong) Carol offered a few to choose
>> from, not pile them all up on one plate, Carol?

> Yup! Tumeric was only for color BTW, has almost no flavor.

Really? I find turmeric has an unpleasant earthy flavour and I wouldn't
maltreat scallops with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 16:42:26 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:08:48 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>snip
>>
>>The sign in front of the raw scallops in the seafood case at the
>>supermarket always indicates they were previously frozen. So... unless
>>I'm planning to cook them within a few days of purchase, I'd likely be
>>putting them into the freezer. I don't want to refreeze scallops (the
>>texture might suffer) so I buy the bag of flash frozen ones. I can
>>portion out exactly the amount I want and put the zipper bag containing
>>the rest back in the freezer. This goes for both the large "sea"
>>scallops and the smaller "bay" scallops. The frozen bags of the small
>>(aka "bay") scallops I see at the store are labelled Patagonian; they
>>come from Argentina.
>>
>>Jill

>I just looked at the bag my frozen scallops were in. It's a 2 pound
>bag, 15-20 scallops per pound. It says caught in the North Atlantic,
>hand shucked immediately after capture and immediately individually
>frozen. It gives instructions for thawing and says do not refreeze.
>Kirkland Brand (Costco) I want to say it cost somewhere between
>$30-$40, I just don't remember. When I buy a treat I've already
>decided to accept the cost. They are good.
>Janet US

Scallops from cold water are always better, as indeed much fish is as
well. Though I like some tropical type fish once in a while, cold
water is superior, in my opinion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/26/2019 9:57 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> > > Yep, and scallops taste much better (at least to me) that shrimp.
> > >

> > I wish I was in a position to know. Both are better fresh than
> > frozen, but* around here those things are either in the freezer
> > compartment or on ice with* note that they re previously frozen.*
> > Big shrimp tend to be much better than small shrimp and large
> > scallops are better than small ones. The price reflects that
> > relative quality.* Small shrimps are quite affordable but the big
> > suckers are very expensive.* You can get bags of frozen bay
> > scallops for about twice the price of shrimp.* Those nice big
> > scallops that are nice for pan searing are going to cost about $4
> > or more apiece.
> >

> I like both, the big scallops and the small ones. But you're
> absolutely right about the "previously frozen". That's why I don't
> generally buy the large scallops in the seafood case. Unless I'm
> planning to cook them within a day or two I'm going to freeze them
> which means I'd be *re-freezing* them. So I just buy a bag of the
> frozen sea scallops. Also nice because I can portion out and thaw
> however many I want and just put the rest back in the freezer. The
> bag has a zip-lock type seal.
>
> Jill

I like that type of bag too and I put them inside another larger
ziplock to make a double layer of seals.

I shall have to get some scallops again!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 6:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:08:48 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
> snip
>>
>> The sign in front of the raw scallops in the seafood case at the
>> supermarket always indicates they were previously frozen. So... unless
>> I'm planning to cook them within a few days of purchase, I'd likely be
>> putting them into the freezer. I don't want to refreeze scallops (the
>> texture might suffer) so I buy the bag of flash frozen ones. I can
>> portion out exactly the amount I want and put the zipper bag containing
>> the rest back in the freezer. This goes for both the large "sea"
>> scallops and the smaller "bay" scallops. The frozen bags of the small
>> (aka "bay") scallops I see at the store are labelled Patagonian; they
>> come from Argentina.
>>
>> Jill

> I just looked at the bag my frozen scallops were in. It's a 2 pound
> bag, 15-20 scallops per pound. It says caught in the North Atlantic,
> hand shucked immediately after capture and immediately individually
> frozen. It gives instructions for thawing and says do not refreeze.
> Kirkland Brand (Costco) I want to say it cost somewhere between
> $30-$40, I just don't remember. When I buy a treat I've already
> decided to accept the cost. They are good.
> Janet US

I'm not a Costco member (none nearby) but I buy the Publix brand frozen
scallops that come in a sturdy bag with a zip-lock. Costs about $30 for
a 1 lb. bag of the the sea scallops; lesser for the small Patagonian
scallops. (I like those, too.)

Usually the prices on the large ones in the seafood case on a bed of ice
is around $30-40. But on the sign it says "previously frozen". To me,
it's a no brainer. I can't tell any difference in the taste. Then
again, I've never tasted a freshly harvested scallop. The frozen ones
work for me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 7:01 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2019-02-27 4:54 p.m., cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Yup!* Tumeric was only for color BTW, has almost no flavor.
>>

> Really? I find turmeric has an unpleasant earthy flavour and I wouldn't
> maltreat scallops with it.

I'm not a huge fan of turmeric. I hear "Lovely golden colour" by
so-called chefs on cooking shows. Also, "Looks like saffron and you can
use it in place of saffron." No, you can't. It's not the same thing.
AT ALL. Not if a dish seriously calls for saffron.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 7:02 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 16:42:26 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:08:48 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>> The sign in front of the raw scallops in the seafood case at the
>>> supermarket always indicates they were previously frozen. So... unless
>>> I'm planning to cook them within a few days of purchase, I'd likely be
>>> putting them into the freezer. I don't want to refreeze scallops (the
>>> texture might suffer) so I buy the bag of flash frozen ones. I can
>>> portion out exactly the amount I want and put the zipper bag containing
>>> the rest back in the freezer. This goes for both the large "sea"
>>> scallops and the smaller "bay" scallops. The frozen bags of the small
>>> (aka "bay") scallops I see at the store are labelled Patagonian; they
>>> come from Argentina.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I just looked at the bag my frozen scallops were in. It's a 2 pound
>> bag, 15-20 scallops per pound. It says caught in the North Atlantic,
>> hand shucked immediately after capture and immediately individually
>> frozen. It gives instructions for thawing and says do not refreeze.
>> Kirkland Brand (Costco) I want to say it cost somewhere between
>> $30-$40, I just don't remember. When I buy a treat I've already
>> decided to accept the cost. They are good.
>> Janet US
>>>

> Scallops from cold water are always better, as indeed much fish is as
> well. Though I like some tropical type fish once in a while, cold
> water is superior, in my opinion.

I agree, lucretia. Aside from catfish (which is farm raised) nearly all
of the fish and other seafood I enjoy comes from cold waters. It's the
best.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:08:48 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>snip
>>
>>The sign in front of the raw scallops in the seafood case at the
>>supermarket always indicates they were previously frozen. So... unless
>>I'm planning to cook them within a few days of purchase, I'd likely be
>>putting them into the freezer. I don't want to refreeze scallops (the
>>texture might suffer) so I buy the bag of flash frozen ones. I can
>>portion out exactly the amount I want and put the zipper bag containing
>>the rest back in the freezer. This goes for both the large "sea"
>>scallops and the smaller "bay" scallops. The frozen bags of the small
>>(aka "bay") scallops I see at the store are labelled Patagonian; they
>>come from Argentina.
>>
>>Jill

>I just looked at the bag my frozen scallops were in. It's a 2 pound
>bag, 15-20 scallops per pound. It says caught in the North Atlantic,
>hand shucked immediately after capture and immediately individually
>frozen. It gives instructions for thawing and says do not refreeze.
>Kirkland Brand (Costco) I want to say it cost somewhere between
>$30-$40, I just don't remember. When I buy a treat I've already
>decided to accept the cost. They are good.
>Janet US

Those were exactly the scallops I made the other day, too. It was the
first time I had ever gotten frozen ones and I will go back to fresh
from now on. The purchase of frozen ones was strictly convenience.

Even after defrosting, draining and drying them off a bit as they
seemed "wet," They gave off a lot of water in the saute. My usual prep
is pan searing in a combo of butter and olive oil, then sprinkling
them all with lemon and parsley in the serving bowl.

Were I not used to getting big fat perfect scallops at Wegman's, these
frozen ones would be thought of as pretty good, but I have been
spoiled.

Still, there is that convenience of having them around for when the
urge hits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 7:32 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Usually the prices on the large ones in the seafood case on a bed of ice
> is around $30-40.* But on the sign it says "previously frozen".* To me,
> it's a no brainer.* I can't tell any difference in the taste.* Then
> again, I've never tasted a freshly harvested scallop.* The frozen ones
> work for me.

I didn't think there'd be much difference either - until I was given a
bag of diver-harvested scallops, within a couple of hours after they had
been lifted from Loch Eribol. They were amazingly delicious, cooked with
just butter, garlic, salt, and pepper.
(I still have the shells.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 8:27 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/27/2019 7:32 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Usually the prices on the large ones in the seafood case on a bed of
>> ice is around $30-40.* But on the sign it says "previously frozen".
>> To me, it's a no brainer.* I can't tell any difference in the taste.
>> Then again, I've never tasted a freshly harvested scallop.* The frozen
>> ones work for me.
>>

> I didn't think there'd be much difference either - until I was given a
> bag of diver-harvested scallops, within a couple of hours after they had
> been lifted from Loch Eribol. They were amazingly delicious, cooked with
> just butter, garlic, salt, and pepper.
> (I still have the shells.)

Och! Don't talk to me about fresh dived-for scallops in a Loch!
That's fresh.

I was gifted some scallop shells a year or so ago. A neighbor purchased
them and intended to use them to make Coquilles St. Jacques but never
got around it it. She was giving them away. So far, I haven't made
that scallop dish, either. But I have the shells.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/27/2019 8:10 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

> Those were exactly the scallops I made the other day, too. It was the
> first time I had ever gotten frozen ones and I will go back to fresh
> from now on. The purchase of frozen ones was strictly convenience.
>
> Even after defrosting, draining and drying them off a bit as they
> seemed "wet," They gave off a lot of water in the saute. My usual prep
> is pan searing in a combo of butter and olive oil, then sprinkling
> them all with lemon and parsley in the serving bowl.
>
> Were I not used to getting big fat perfect scallops at Wegman's, these
> frozen ones would be thought of as pretty good, but I have been
> spoiled.
>
> Still, there is that convenience of having them around for when the
> urge hits.

Most frozen have been soaked in a phosphate solution. They can pick up
to 15% weight and they look fresher that way. Of course, they don't
sear as well either.

I miss Wegman's. They had some great seafood, as well as good selection
of other goodies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 22:33:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/27/2019 8:10 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> Those were exactly the scallops I made the other day, too. It was the
>> first time I had ever gotten frozen ones and I will go back to fresh
>> from now on. The purchase of frozen ones was strictly convenience.
>>
>> Even after defrosting, draining and drying them off a bit as they
>> seemed "wet," They gave off a lot of water in the saute. My usual prep
>> is pan searing in a combo of butter and olive oil, then sprinkling
>> them all with lemon and parsley in the serving bowl.
>>
>> Were I not used to getting big fat perfect scallops at Wegman's, these
>> frozen ones would be thought of as pretty good, but I have been
>> spoiled.
>>
>> Still, there is that convenience of having them around for when the
>> urge hits.
>>

>Most frozen have been soaked in a phosphate solution. They can pick up
>to 15% weight and they look fresher that way. Of course, they don't
>sear as well either.

I had chucked the bag and taken out the garbage before I discovered
the wetness of the scallops, but next time I am in Costco, I'll check
to see what is on the package.

>I miss Wegman's. They had some great seafood, as well as good selection
>of other goodies.

I do not use them for everyday grocery shopping, but gosh, they do
have wonderful stuff that only they seem to carry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-27 8:41 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

> Och!* Don't talk to me about fresh dived-for scallops in a Loch!
> That's fresh.
>
> I was gifted some scallop shells a year or so ago.* A neighbor purchased
> them and intended to use them to make Coquilles St. Jacques but never
> got around it it.* She was giving them away.* So far, I haven't made
> that scallop dish, either.* But I have the shells.

We have about a dozen scallop shells that were a gift of nature. One
year we went did a road trip to the east coast and walked out into the
Bay of Fundy when the tide went out. There were scallop shells laying
around everywhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 22:53:54 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 22:33:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 2/27/2019 8:10 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>
>>> Those were exactly the scallops I made the other day, too. It was the
>>> first time I had ever gotten frozen ones and I will go back to fresh
>>> from now on. The purchase of frozen ones was strictly convenience.
>>>
>>> Even after defrosting, draining and drying them off a bit as they
>>> seemed "wet," They gave off a lot of water in the saute. My usual prep
>>> is pan searing in a combo of butter and olive oil, then sprinkling
>>> them all with lemon and parsley in the serving bowl.
>>>
>>> Were I not used to getting big fat perfect scallops at Wegman's, these
>>> frozen ones would be thought of as pretty good, but I have been
>>> spoiled.
>>>
>>> Still, there is that convenience of having them around for when the
>>> urge hits.
>>>

>>Most frozen have been soaked in a phosphate solution. They can pick up
>>to 15% weight and they look fresher that way. Of course, they don't
>>sear as well either.

>I had chucked the bag and taken out the garbage before I discovered
>the wetness of the scallops, but next time I am in Costco, I'll check
>to see what is on the package.
>

>>I miss Wegman's. They had some great seafood, as well as good selection
>>of other goodies.

>I do not use them for everyday grocery shopping, but gosh, they do
>have wonderful stuff that only they seem to carry.

It says Ingredients: Sea Scallops, All Natural
(I do see that each scallop appears to be covered in a thin coating
of ice)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 6:54:12 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "jmcquown" wrote in message ...

> > > that's a beautiful plate but a little heavy on fats and seasonings
> > > for me to go with scallops. Just a different taste approach. thanks
> > >

> > Agreed, Janet. I think turmeric, sliced red beets and mushrooms,
> > sliced rings of onions and then a bowl of stewed tomatoes with mild
> > green chiles... way too overpowering.
> >
> > It really needs to be simple, IMHO. In this case I'm surprised Carol
> > didn't simply suggest pan fried scallops in oil with minced ginger and
> > garlic and deglazed with a little stock (or whatever the current
> > popular Asian broth is called) and finished with a dash of soy sauce.
> > Plated with rice. Or noodles.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > The way I saw it (I could be wrong) Carol offered a few to choose
> > from, not pile them all up on one plate, Carol?

> Yup! Tumeric was only for color BTW, has almost no flavor.

Perhaps you can't taste it, but I can. A musty, slightly astringent
flavor.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> Scallops from cold water are always better, as indeed much fish is as
> well. Though I like some tropical type fish once in a while, cold
> water is superior, in my opinion.

I'm with you. Especially oysters, which I only eat raw.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 20:27:40 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 2/27/2019 7:32 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Usually the prices on the large ones in the seafood case on a bed of ice
>> is around $30-40.* But on the sign it says "previously frozen".* To me,
>> it's a no brainer.* I can't tell any difference in the taste.* Then
>> again, I've never tasted a freshly harvested scallop.* The frozen ones
>> work for me.
>>

>I didn't think there'd be much difference either - until I was given a
>bag of diver-harvested scallops, within a couple of hours after they had
>been lifted from Loch Eribol. They were amazingly delicious, cooked with
>just butter, garlic, salt, and pepper.
>(I still have the shells.)

Yeeessss - you are really paying more for frozen anyway as all that
liquid is frozen and weighed with the scallops. I'm not interested
unless they are fresh but then again, I suppose mid-continent others
may not have a choice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 21:48:34 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 22:53:54 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 22:33:47 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>>>On 2/27/2019 8:10 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

>>>Most frozen have been soaked in a phosphate solution. They can pick up
>>>to 15% weight and they look fresher that way. Of course, they don't
>>>sear as well either.

>>I had chucked the bag and taken out the garbage before I discovered
>>the wetness of the scallops, but next time I am in Costco, I'll check
>>to see what is on the package.
>>

>>>I miss Wegman's. They had some great seafood, as well as good selection
>>>of other goodies.

>>I do not use them for everyday grocery shopping, but gosh, they do
>>have wonderful stuff that only they seem to carry.

>It says Ingredients: Sea Scallops, All Natural
>(I do see that each scallop appears to be covered in a thin coating
>of ice)

Good to know there was no solution.

Yes, each was coated in ice. I assume that had something to do with
their freeze process.

I gave them a quick rinse and put them in a drainer after they
defrosted (did that in a large bowl of ice water, double sealed in a
zip lock that did not leak). The I dried them off well

I was careful in spacing them in the pan, but I could see the liquid
come out. It was milky looking.and left a coating in the saute pan.
That coating "cooked on" to the pan and had to be scraped off before I
could do a succeeding batch. Quien sabe?

Since I can usually get nice ones at Wegman's for $14.99/lb, I'll
stick with that and give up the convenience.

And I am wondering whether the Kirkland supplier was the same for both
your and my batches?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote in message ...
>
> On 2/26/2019 5:39 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> > > Eggplant (Asian type, not bitter and no skinning) for the vibrant
> > > color is a top pick. Steamed likely.
> > >
> > > Then a bright green vegetable like whole snap beans, ends trimmed
> > > and sauteed in a little olive oil and garlic.
> > >
> > > Other things to expand th plate (I generally have 3 sides): A
> > > 'white sauce' with Tumeric added for color over a mix of fetucini
> > > and colorful spiral pasta. A few slices of jarred red beets. A
> > > mushroom medly with several types sauteed together with a few
> > > rings or 1/2 moons of sweet red onion, and a mix of olive oil and
> > > butter. A bowl of stewed whole tomatoes with mild green chiles
> > > or chives.
> > >
> > > Basically I'd want the purity of the scallops to shine whitely
> > > and hen 'eye pop' the rest with color but not too strongly
> > > flavored so they don't mask the scallops.

> > that's a beautiful plate but a little heavy on fats and seasonings
> > for me to go with scallops. Just a different taste approach. thanks
> >

> Agreed, Janet. I think turmeric, sliced red beets and mushrooms,
> sliced rings of onions and then a bowl of stewed tomatoes with mild
> green chiles... way too overpowering.
>
> It really needs to be simple, IMHO. In this case I'm surprised Carol
> didn't simply suggest pan fried scallops in oil with minced ginger and
> garlic and deglazed with a little stock (or whatever the current
> popular Asian broth is called) and finished with a dash of soy sauce.
> Plated with rice. Or noodles.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> The way I saw it (I could be wrong) Carol offered a few to choose
> from, not pile them all up on one plate, Carol?

Yup! Tumeric was only for color BTW, has almost no flavor.

It's totally fine if she doesn't like what I'd do but the cost of
scallops means this would be a special meal so we'd take time to make
it pretty. Above the items that were separate, got all mixed together
somehow. (beets and mushroom dish? Ick!).

I'd have picked 3 off the list and the spice load is low on all of
them. I probably phrased it wrong thereby causing confusion.

===

What confusion?? It was clear enough to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>
> > Scallops from cold water are always better, as indeed much fish is as
> > well. Though I like some tropical type fish once in a while, cold
> > water is superior, in my opinion.

> I'm with you. Especially oysters, which I only eat raw.

Cold weather seafood. I'm on board with you two.
Cindy only eats oysters raw? Ewwww
I do hope you at least chew the raw ones.
Those oyster eating competitions, they just swallow the
entire animal whole. What a waste of an animals life
just for a game. All you taste is the salty slime.

Have you ever had them cooked?
Just one minute cooking does it and improves the
flavor in my worthless personal opinion.
Just steamed in shell is better than raw.
Battered and fried is my favorite.

Many people have died from eating raw. Cooking can potentially
save your life. That usually depends on the weather conditions
where oysters are harvested.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:11:08 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >
> > > Scallops from cold water are always better, as indeed much fish is as
> > > well. Though I like some tropical type fish once in a while, cold
> > > water is superior, in my opinion.

> > I'm with you. Especially oysters, which I only eat raw.

> Cold weather seafood. I'm on board with you two.
> Cindy only eats oysters raw? Ewwww
> I do hope you at least chew the raw ones.

Of course. They're so expensive, I don't want to waste
any flavor. I generally add no condiments.

There's an oyster bar that I patronize. They have several
different oysters from several different locations. They'll
let you mix it up. I like the variety of flavors that each
oyster's terroir brings.

> Those oyster eating competitions, they just swallow the
> entire animal whole. What a waste of an animals life
> just for a game. All you taste is the salty slime.
>
> Have you ever had them cooked?

Yes. I still prefer them raw.

> Just one minute cooking does it and improves the
> flavor in my worthless personal opinion.

Not worthless, just personal. I'm a different person.

> Just steamed in shell is better than raw.
> Battered and fried is my favorite.
>
> Many people have died from eating raw. Cooking can potentially
> save your life. That usually depends on the weather conditions
> where oysters are harvested.

Yep. I'm just a wild risk-taker. Next I'll take up sky diving.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2019 10:18 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Yep. I'm just a wild risk-taker. Next I'll take up sky diving.

LOL!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Yep. I'm just a wild risk-taker. Next I'll take up sky diving.

I plan to do sky diving myself just as soon as my doctor says I
only have a few months left to live. Go out with a bang.

Boutique investment bank Detwiler Fenton says Wal-Mart plans to sell a new, lower-priced single-serve coffee brewer this spring. Detwiler says the machine, developed with ESIO Beverage, will likely be a game changer in the single-serve category `.@...' Coffee 0 03-02-2012 02:20 PM
What else should I serve? Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 32 20-09-2009 01:22 PM
what to serve pfoley General Cooking 33 18-09-2006 10:19 PM
Slice, serve, lick thumb, slice, serve... Buzinkum General Cooking 46 08-12-2005 05:12 AM
Scallops - how to cook "wet" scallops? Scot General Cooking 11 27-02-2004 06:13 PM