Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default chicken stock revisited

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10:51:01 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> > On 2/26/2019 6:35 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > I have been >>>> toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I
> > think I'll opt for a few >>>> legs and a few wings.

> > for >>> vegetable broth, though.

> > my own. A >> few years ago on America's Test Kitchen Chris Kimball
> > said it was very easy >> to do in a slow cooker or on top of the
> > stove.
> > >
> > > Behind the times? I've been making stock for decades.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > Joan said she was behind the times, not you. So what if she
> > doesn't make stock? Maybe she doesn't have a lot of need or use
> > for stock.
> >
> > Jill

> Making stock is not a new innovation. If she's behind the times, then
> she's several hundred years behind the times.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL, I think Joan just meant she isnt a big stock maker. For years
here, it seemed I was the only one and stopped talking about it. I
make a gallon or so every 3-4 weeks from left over poultry bones and
bits of whatever veggie ends I have handy. This is strained, cooled,
and frozen in roughly 1 cup baggies for use through the month. Much of
it for the dogs and cat. (natural GSM) Plenty for us as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> >
> > I don't know why I do it, but I reserve the bay leaf and thyme for
> > the final soup. But yes, I do toss some peppercorns in when making
> > the stock.

> I know why you do it. Best to make chicken stock as plain as can
> be. That gives it a wide variety of uses in many dishes. I always
> make mine plain.

Yes and same here since most of it literally is for the doggies!
veggie ends of types that don't bother dogs and that's about it. Later
I fancy up any portion for us.

I also make this for my neighbor across the street. BTW, I mis-spoke
as i just checked the bags. I make about 1.5 gallons every 3-4 weeks.
I get 23-26 1cup bags from each run. It's 16 cups per gallon right?

That probably sounds a little odd but my neighbor makes a lot of whole
roasted chicken and saves the carcass (picked over pretty well) for us
in a 1 gallon plastic baggie until full. She normally has one pretty
full (broken down) in 4 weeks just as I hit the same. She brings them
over and I pass her however many bags of bone broth/stock she wants.
It's normally 1 cup a week.

My bigger crockpot is making a batch as the middle one is polishing up
a batch of butter beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> >
> > I don't know why I do it, but I reserve the bay leaf and thyme for
> > the final soup. But yes, I do toss some peppercorns in when making
> > the stock.

> I know why you do it. Best to make chicken stock as plain as can
> be. That gives it a wide variety of uses in many dishes. I always
> make mine plain.
>
> ==
>
> What do you use yours for?

For me, I use it partly for the dogs who are older and the natural GSM
for their joints works well. Our cat is also older and she likes a
little noshe of it also. We call it the 'nooner meal' as around noon
we give them a treat. We move a frozen bag to defrost in the fridge
every other day (or more if we need some for 2foot cooking) and split
1/2 cup or so per day to the pets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2019 17:09:59 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
snip

>LOL, I think Joan just meant she isnt a big stock maker. For years
>here, it seemed I was the only one and stopped talking about it.

snip

Really???? Totally doubtful, totally, totally, totally on all counts.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10:51:01 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> > On 2/26/2019 6:35 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > I have been >>>> toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I
> > think I'll opt for a few >>>> legs and a few wings.

> > for >>> vegetable broth, though.

> > my own. A >> few years ago on America's Test Kitchen Chris Kimball
> > said it was very easy >> to do in a slow cooker or on top of the
> > stove.
> > >
> > > Behind the times? I've been making stock for decades.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > Joan said she was behind the times, not you. So what if she
> > doesn't make stock? Maybe she doesn't have a lot of need or use
> > for stock.
> >
> > Jill

> Making stock is not a new innovation. If she's behind the times, then
> she's several hundred years behind the times.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL, I think Joan just meant she isnt a big stock maker. For years
here, it seemed I was the only one and stopped talking about it. I
make a gallon or so every 3-4 weeks from left over poultry bones and
bits of whatever veggie ends I have handy. This is strained, cooled,
and frozen in roughly 1 cup baggies for use through the month. Much of
it for the dogs and cat. (natural GSM) Plenty for us as well.

==

What do you use it all for?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> >
> > I don't know why I do it, but I reserve the bay leaf and thyme for
> > the final soup. But yes, I do toss some peppercorns in when making
> > the stock.

> I know why you do it. Best to make chicken stock as plain as can
> be. That gives it a wide variety of uses in many dishes. I always
> make mine plain.
>
> ==
>
> What do you use yours for?

For me, I use it partly for the dogs who are older and the natural GSM
for their joints works well. Our cat is also older and she likes a
little noshe of it also. We call it the 'nooner meal' as around noon
we give them a treat. We move a frozen bag to defrost in the fridge
every other day (or more if we need some for 2foot cooking) and split
1/2 cup or so per day to the pets.

==

Nice)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I have been >>>> toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I
> >> think I'll opt for a few >>>> legs and a few wings.

> >> for >>> vegetable broth, though.

> >> my own. A >> few years ago on America's Test Kitchen Chris Kimball
> >> said it was very easy >> to do in a slow cooker or on top of the
> >> stove.

> >> Joan said she was behind the times, not you. So what if she
> >> doesn't make stock? Maybe she doesn't have a lot of need or use
> >> for stock.
> > >
> >> Jill

> > Making stock is not a new innovation. If she's behind the times,
> > then she's several hundred years behind the times.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> LOL, I think Joan just meant she isnt a big stock maker. For years
> here, it seemed I was the only one and stopped talking about it. I
> make a gallon or so every 3-4 weeks from left over poultry bones and
> bits of whatever veggie ends I have handy. This is strained, cooled,
> and frozen in roughly 1 cup baggies for use through the month. Much
> of it for the dogs and cat. (natural GSM) Plenty for us as well.
>
> ==
>
> What do you use it all for?

Lots of things. 1/2 is for the dogs who are older and it helps their
arthritis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > > That sounds extremely inconvenient! I can't imagine an appliance
> > > deciding for me when something is cooked to my liking and turning
> > > itself off. Sounds like a big design flaw for a crockpot.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Sounds like a bad idea for me too. It's like a deliberate flaw
> > from an idiot who doesn't understand crockpot cooking.
> >

> Designed by lawyers. Many products end up like crap because idiots
> can screw up.

Probably. Incredibly useless to have a crockpot that shuts off in the
middle of the night and leads to food spoilage possible issues.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2019 1:46 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I can't imagine an appliance
>> deciding for me when something is cooked to my liking and turning itself
>> off. Sounds like a big design flaw for a crockpot.

> It's just cooking it "lightly."
> Also you said another "I can't imagine"

Excuse me for not coming up with enough creative descriptions for things
I have never encountered/don't own.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2019 1:43 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Just like Jill. I eat anything that sounds good no matter the
>>> weather. My house is always a good temp.
>>>

>> No, not just like Jill. I make and eat hot soup year round. I don't
>> know how many times I have to say it.

> So do I, "you ignorant slut." sheez. I was talking about soup,
> not other things.

WHAT?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 7:14:49 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:

> Incredibly useless to have a crockpot that shuts off in the
> middle of the night and leads to food spoilage possible issues.

I would not start my crockpot and select a time that it would shut off in
the middle of the night. When I've used it in the past I would start it
early in the morning so what I would plan to eat that day would be ready
by either early afternoon or suppertime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> That sounds extremely inconvenient! I can't imagine an appliance
> >> deciding for me when something is cooked to my liking and turning
> >> itself off. Sounds like a big design flaw for a crockpot.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Sounds like a bad idea for me too. It's like a deliberate flaw from an
> > idiot who doesn't understand crockpot cooking.
> >

> I don't know if it's deliberate simply a design flaw. I do know I'm
> glad mine doesn't shut itself off.
>
> Jill

My God! It's obviously a safety feature. Perhaps not a necessary
one, but a millisecond's thought will provide the answer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>Jill McQuown wrote:
> > I don't know if it's deliberate simply a design flaw. I do know I'm
> > glad mine doesn't shut itself off. (a crockpot)

> My God! It's obviously a safety feature. Perhaps not a necessary
> one, but a millisecond's thought will provide the answer.

Well Cindy, we agree on this one.
I've got an old Rival with 3 dial settings.
Off, Low, and High.

No doubt the new ones with time-limits are safety features.

Anytime I use mine, even up to 24 hours cooking, I'm always
at home. If I run to the store, I'll unplug it until I get back
within 30 minutes, then plug it back in. It stays hot for that
short time.

I have never and would never start something cooking then go
off to work for the day and leave it on. What if something
happens to you like an accident and you don't get home for
many days?

Since new slow cookers have timeouts now, there probably have
been problems with leaving one on.

When I leave for work, the only electric thing left running is my
refridgerator.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I have been >>>> toying with the idea. When I take the plunge I
> >> think I'll opt for a few >>>> legs and a few wings.

> >> for >>> vegetable broth, though.

> >> my own. A >> few years ago on America's Test Kitchen Chris Kimball
> >> said it was very easy >> to do in a slow cooker or on top of the
> >> stove.

> >> Joan said she was behind the times, not you. So what if she
> >> doesn't make stock? Maybe she doesn't have a lot of need or use
> >> for stock.
> > >
> >> Jill

> > Making stock is not a new innovation. If she's behind the times,
> > then she's several hundred years behind the times.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> LOL, I think Joan just meant she isnt a big stock maker. For years
> here, it seemed I was the only one and stopped talking about it. I
> make a gallon or so every 3-4 weeks from left over poultry bones and
> bits of whatever veggie ends I have handy. This is strained, cooled,
> and frozen in roughly 1 cup baggies for use through the month. Much
> of it for the dogs and cat. (natural GSM) Plenty for us as well.
>
> ==
>
> What do you use it all for?

Lots of things. 1/2 is for the dogs who are older and it helps their
arthritis.

===

Yes, I know that, I just wondered what else you do with it, given you make
a lot

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> make >>> my own. A >> few years ago on America's Test Kitchen Chris
> Kimball >>> said it was very easy >> to do in a slow cooker or on top
> of the >>> stove.

> >> Making stock is not a new innovation. If she's behind the times,
> >> then she's several hundred years behind the times.
> > >
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > LOL, I think Joan just meant she isnt a big stock maker. For years
> > here, it seemed I was the only one and stopped talking about it. I
> > make a gallon or so every 3-4 weeks from left over poultry bones and
> > bits of whatever veggie ends I have handy. This is strained,
> > cooled, and frozen in roughly 1 cup baggies for use through the
> > month. Much of it for the dogs and cat. (natural GSM) Plenty for
> > us as well.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > What do you use it all for?

> Lots of things. 1/2 is for the dogs who are older and it helps their
> arthritis.
>
> ===
>
> Yes, I know that, I just wondered what else you do with it, given you
> make a lot

Well, it takes 3 cups to make soup with us 3 and there are only 8 cups
left per 3 week run for us....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> make >>> my own. A >> few years ago on America's Test Kitchen Chris
> Kimball >>> said it was very easy >> to do in a slow cooker or on top
> of the >>> stove.

> >> Making stock is not a new innovation. If she's behind the times,
> >> then she's several hundred years behind the times.
> > >
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > LOL, I think Joan just meant she isnt a big stock maker. For years
> > here, it seemed I was the only one and stopped talking about it. I
> > make a gallon or so every 3-4 weeks from left over poultry bones and
> > bits of whatever veggie ends I have handy. This is strained,
> > cooled, and frozen in roughly 1 cup baggies for use through the
> > month. Much of it for the dogs and cat. (natural GSM) Plenty for
> > us as well.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > What do you use it all for?

> Lots of things. 1/2 is for the dogs who are older and it helps their
> arthritis.
>
> ===
>
> Yes, I know that, I just wondered what else you do with it, given you
> make a lot

Well, it takes 3 cups to make soup with us 3 and there are only 8 cups
left per 3 week run for us....

==

Ok, thanks) Do you use it for anything other than the soup?

I ask because I don't use much and therefore don't make it often. It is
such a shame though to waste it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 11:28:50 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"cshenk" wrote in message
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" wrote in message

>> > What do you use it all for?

>> Lots of things. 1/2 is for the dogs who are older and it helps their
>> arthritis.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Yes, I know that, I just wondered what else you do with it, given you
>> make a lot

>Well, it takes 3 cups to make soup with us 3 and there are only 8 cups
>left per 3 week run for us....
>
>==
>
>Ok, thanks) Do you use it for anything other than the soup?
>
>I ask because I don't use much and therefore don't make it often. It is
>such a shame though to waste it.

I freeze about 1 quart portions of concentrated stock. With it I make
5 1/2 - 6 quarts of soup every week or so. That's 2 main meals and a
lunch for us. We don't eat much anymore. When I make soup (many
different kinds) there are always a lot of vegetables in the soup and
possibly a small bit of meat. i.e., chicken soup, beef barley soup,
minestrone, etc. I feel that keeps us nutritionally sound.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"cshenk" wrote in message
>
>Ophelia wrote:
>

>> "cshenk" wrote in message

>> > What do you use it all for?

>> Lots of things. 1/2 is for the dogs who are older and it helps their
>> arthritis.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Yes, I know that, I just wondered what else you do with it, given you
>> make a lot

>Well, it takes 3 cups to make soup with us 3 and there are only 8 cups
>left per 3 week run for us....
>
>==
>
>Ok, thanks) Do you use it for anything other than the soup?
>
>I ask because I don't use much and therefore don't make it often. It is
>such a shame though to waste it.

I freeze about 1 quart portions of concentrated stock. With it I make
5 1/2 - 6 quarts of soup every week or so. That's 2 main meals and a
lunch for us. We don't eat much anymore. When I make soup (many
different kinds) there are always a lot of vegetables in the soup and
possibly a small bit of meat. i.e., chicken soup, beef barley soup,
minestrone, etc. I feel that keeps us nutritionally sound.
Janet US

==

We don't eat a lot of soup, but you do make them sound very attractive I
think you might have convinced me)

Thanks very much