Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default chicken stock revisited

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

wrote in message ...

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 18:29:28 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>wrote in message ...

>>> Do you bail the contents of those 18-24 pots? I can't imagine anyone
>>> lifting a full pot down off the stove.
>>>

>>He probably uses a 3 quart pot for his 'dipper.' ;-) I can't imagine
>>anyone making that much stock unless they're running an orphanage or
>>Kuth's
>>boarding house.

>These days it's just the two of us and not much company like the old
>days so I rarely use the 24 quart pot but I use the 18 quart pot a few
>times a year and I use the 12 quart pot often. The grands are
>terrible eaters, they live on junk food so I refuse to cook for
>them... their favorite food is Pop Tarts.... this visit over two days
>they finished two packages of Pop Tarts and a 12 pack of Coke.
>
>With the 12 qt pot I'll end up with 8 quarts of rich stock and I don't
>think that's a lot. I think an 8 qt pot is too small for stock, not
>worth the time and effort for maybe 5 quarts of stock... I eat most of
>the veggies, I like boiled carrots, celery and onions, and naturally I
>eat the chicken, I make chicken salad for us and then I pick the
>bones. And I skim off the fat... gets put in an empty can and when
>frozen cut through the bottom lid and push it out on a snow bank,
>birds polish it off fast.
>Last night I roasted a five pound boneless pork loin, had a lot of fat
>on the exterior so this morning while the left over was cold from the
>fridge I decided to slice it but first I removed most all the fat and
>tossed it off the deck, birds were there before I got back inside.
>It's much easier to slice meat cold than hot... cold sliced pork loin
>makes very good sandwiches.
>
>==
>
>How do you use up all the stock? I mean what do you do with it all

Eight quarts of stock is not a lot, I freeze about half and use about
half to prepare a soup. Soup doesn't last long here... our soup bowls
hold 18 ounces and we will each eat one bowl for a meal. And I
usually prepare a Chinese chicken stock by adding a lot of ginger and
white peppercorns; perfect for eggdrop soup.... sometimes stock
becomes Hot & Sour soup.

==

Nice

Btw do you use it for anything other than soup?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 2:56:35 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 1:36:02 PM UTC-5,
> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 5:38:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the 8-quart
> > > pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and freeze it flat
> > > in ziplocs.
> > >
> > > I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I can
> > > just
> > > make it again when I need to.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > My largest pot is an 8 quart size. Sometimes I think a larger pot might
> > be
> > nice to have, but there comes the problem of where to store it when not in
> > use. And no, no matter how convenient Sheldon thinks it is, I'm not
> > storing
> > cookware in the basement.

> My 8-quart is stored in the kitchen. My 12-quart is stored in
> the basement, since we use it only a few times per year. He
> makes a big pot of spaghetti sauce a couple times a year.
>
> The pig roaster is stored in the shed, but that's a whole 'nother
> level of cooking. We'll probably never do a pig roast again; I've
> been trying to get him to get rid of it, but he's sentimental about
> it, since he welded it up himself.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Aww I can understand that Could you not give him just one more pig roast
> before it has to go? I am sure he would be very happy)))

I'd love to, but he's not physically capable of doing the work
anymore. Pigs are heavy, and his shoulders are wrecked.

We'll probably do a suckling pig on the "small" grill and have
some friends over. "Small" = "made from a 55-gallon drum".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 2:56:35 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 1:36:02 PM UTC-5,
> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 5:38:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the
> > > 8-quart
> > > pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and freeze it
> > > flat
> > > in ziplocs.
> > >
> > > I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I can
> > > just
> > > make it again when I need to.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > >

> > My largest pot is an 8 quart size. Sometimes I think a larger pot might
> > be
> > nice to have, but there comes the problem of where to store it when not
> > in
> > use. And no, no matter how convenient Sheldon thinks it is, I'm not
> > storing
> > cookware in the basement.

> My 8-quart is stored in the kitchen. My 12-quart is stored in
> the basement, since we use it only a few times per year. He
> makes a big pot of spaghetti sauce a couple times a year.
>
> The pig roaster is stored in the shed, but that's a whole 'nother
> level of cooking. We'll probably never do a pig roast again; I've
> been trying to get him to get rid of it, but he's sentimental about
> it, since he welded it up himself.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Aww I can understand that Could you not give him just one more pig
> roast
> before it has to go? I am sure he would be very happy)))

I'd love to, but he's not physically capable of doing the work
anymore. Pigs are heavy, and his shoulders are wrecked.

We'll probably do a suckling pig on the "small" grill and have
some friends over. "Small" = "made from a 55-gallon drum".

Cindy Hamilton

==

Yes, I understand Oh you do have a workaround I am sure you will (as
I am absolutely sure) do what you can to make him happy

55 gallon drum eh??? Small??? Blimey But I am sure your friends will
help Heck what are friends for)))

Good luck. It is always worth it to be happy)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:35:58 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 5:38:58 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:51:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> >
>> > If I had one of Sheldon's 12 quart stock pots I could start a huge brew and
>> > let it go for days.
>> >
>> > ;-)

>> I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the 8-quart
>> pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and freeze it flat
>> in ziplocs.
>>
>> I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I can just
>> make it again when I need to.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>My largest pot is an 8 quart size. Sometimes I think a larger pot might be
>nice to have, but there comes the problem of where to store it when not in
>use. And no, no matter how convenient Sheldon thinks it is, I'm not storing
>cookware in the basement.

Large pots require little storage space as they nest, I have my often
used larger pots stored at the bottom of a closet,,, we have a
smallish pantry, those pots are in the pantry on the floor, along with
large sacks of cat chow, and a few large cutting boards standing on
edge. All other often used pots on a shelf in that pantry. A lot of
cookware that's rarely used is in the basement. It's no big deal
having to retrieve things from the basement because we are down their
several times a day anyway, the large cat litter pan is in the
basement, as are lots of canned and paper goods. Our water softener
is in the basement so that's where we keep the sacks of salt. A lot
of things are stored in the basement that would clutter the house, but
we have several sets of steel shelving and closets there too...
everything is neat and nothing directly on the floor. We also have a
2nd fridge/freezer in the basement, and an over sized commercial
washing machine, nice to have for comforters and bulky things we'd
need to wash at a laundromat. We have clothes lines there too, who
needs frozen laundry or needing to deal with bird poop. A basement is
also good for hobby equipment that needs space, my wife's yarn winders
are there on a table. There's also a lot of kitchen stuff, extra
glassware, dinnerware, more cookware and bakeware, extra appliances.
There's extra furniture like metal folding chairs and tables all
hanging on hooks, there's a set of metal shelving used for storing
paint and painting supplies, even a painter's ladder hanging from
hooks. In winter my wifes golf clubs and cart is in the basement, in
summer her skis and ski boots. A basement is perfect for storing all
the things people have that would never fit in the house, which is why
so many people use their two car garage for storage but their vehicles
are out on the driveway. Our basement is warm in winter and cool in
summer, making it the perfect place for items that would get damaged
from high and low temps such as in an outdoor shed... which is exactly
what a building on a slab is, it's a shed.
People who don't have a basement and frown on those who do are simply
demonstraing their sour grapes mentality. I lived in a condo for a
year that was built on a slab in a gated community, and even though
there wasn't a lot of traffic when the cars and especially delivery
trucks went by the floor and the entire unit vibrated and was noisy,
like living inside a drum, I could actually see the vibration ripples
in a cup of coffee sitting on a kitchen counter, even the windows
rattled... see, those slab residenses are refered to as "units"
because they are definitely not a house. At best no matter how it's
gusssied up it's a shed.

In this county a building on a slab is not considered a permanent
dwelling, for insurance purposes a 2,000 sq ft building on a slab is
listed and taxed the same as a double wide trailor... barns here have
a higher status.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 1:03:32 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:46:49 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Oh ok!! I've never made stock but I did think that maybe the pressure
> >cooker could really extract a lot of flavor using pressure. Now, you've convinced me!

> well, you need to be the judge, after all, we all have our taste
> preferences as well as our own set of taste buds. Let me know how it
> turns out for you. I will toss in some onion, celery butt and a
> carrot and if I feel like it a clove of garlic in the pot. Just a
> small amount of salt to help pull the flavor from everything. No more
> seasoning until I get around to using the stock. Then I taste and see
> what I want to add depending upon what soup I'm making.
> Today I am thawing a quart of really concentrated stock for soup for
> lunch tomorrow.
> Janet US

I've seen stock made on several cooking shows through the years and they
pretty much add what you add. Some do thrown in a few peppercorns, too,
and maybe a couple of bay leaves and that's pretty much it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 3:27:12 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:35:58 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >My largest pot is an 8 quart size. Sometimes I think a larger pot might be
> >nice to have, but there comes the problem of where to store it when not in
> >use. And no, no matter how convenient Sheldon thinks it is, I'm not storing
> >cookware in the basement.

> Large pots require little storage space as they nest, I have my often
> used larger pots stored at the bottom of a closet,,, we have a
> smallish pantry, those pots are in the pantry on the floor, along with
> large sacks of cat chow, and a few large cutting boards standing on
> edge.

No pantry here. What I call my 'pantry' is one of those 4 feet tall chrome
restaurant shelves. That holds can goods with one shelf given over to the
convection toaster oven. The top shelf holds my microwave and a knife block.
This is why my pots are hanging on that pot rack over the kitchen window that
I shared here a several weeks ago. Having three doorways in this tiny kitchen
does not help with efficiency at all.

> All other often used pots on a shelf in that pantry. A lot of
> cookware that's rarely used is in the basement. It's no big deal
> having to retrieve things from the basement because we are down their
> several times a day anyway.

My basement is a dugout space and if you're under 5'8" you can stand up in it.
But it is definitely NOT a place I'd want to put anything down there other than
the water heater, the furnace, and a sump pump. Steps are solid as a rock but
quite narrow so I'd not wanting to be retrieving any cookware, canned goods,
paper goods, or cat litter.

> Our water softener
> is in the basement so that's where we keep the sacks of salt. A lot
> of things are stored in the basement that would clutter the house, but
> we have several sets of steel shelving and closets there too...
> everything is neat and nothing directly on the floor.

The only thing on my dirt floor is a vapor barrier.

> A basement is
> also good for hobby equipment that needs space, my wife's yarn winders
> are there on a table.

Yes, if you basement is concrete, you can stand up in it, and you're not having
to navigate narrow steps.

> There's also a lot of kitchen stuff, extra
> glassware, dinnerware, more cookware and bakeware, extra appliances.
> There's extra furniture like metal folding chairs and tables all
> hanging on hooks, there's a set of metal shelving used for storing
> paint and painting supplies, even a painter's ladder hanging from
> hooks. In winter my wifes golf clubs and cart is in the basement, in
> summer her skis and ski boots. A basement is perfect for storing all
> the things people have that would never fit in the house, which is why
> so many people use their two car garage for storage but their vehicles
> are out on the driveway. Our basement is warm in winter and cool in
> summer, making it the perfect place for items that would get damaged
> from high and low temps such as in an outdoor shed... which is exactly
> what a building on a slab is, it's a shed.

Honestly, your basement sounds jammed packed to the rafters unless it's a
5000 square foot area. No matter how neatly you have it, it still sounds
a hoarders paradise.

> People who don't have a basement and frown on those who do are simply
> demonstraing their sour grapes mentality. I lived in a condo for a
> year that was built on a slab in a gated community, and even though
> there wasn't a lot of traffic when the cars and especially delivery
> trucks went by the floor and the entire unit vibrated and was noisy,
> like living inside a drum, I could actually see the vibration ripples
> in a cup of coffee sitting on a kitchen counter, even the windows
> rattled... see, those slab residenses are refered to as "units"
> because they are definitely not a house. At best no matter how it's
> gusssied up it's a shed.

It sounds like your condo was extremely poorly built.

> In this county a building on a slab is not considered a permanent
> dwelling, for insurance purposes a 2,000 sq ft building on a slab is
> listed and taxed the same as a double wide trailor... barns here have
> a higher status.

I doubt that. Some people just have no use for a basement and I doubt your
tax accessor punishes people for not digging a basement.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the
> > 8-quart pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and
> > freeze it flat in ziplocs.
> >
> > I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I
> > can just make it again when I need to.

> First - turkey stock is my favorite. The turkey bones and meat
> contains much more flavor than chicken.
>
> My largest pot is an 8-quart pot so I make 7 quarts from that
> each time. From a 20lb turkey carcass, I can make 2 batches of 7
> quarts each. Make one right away and freeze the other half of
> turkey carcass for another batch later on.
>
> One thing I've learned (from a customer)...for the best, simmer
> it 24 hours, not 8-12 hours like some people stop at. If you've
> never done that, try it. It's so much richer.
>
> Last couple of years, I've been making chicken broth as needed in
> my smaller crockpot. Less volume but easy to make a new batch
> more often. SF once mentioned using the crockpot so I tried it
> and liked it. Best for chicken is also 24 hours. Try it if you
> haven't - you will notice the difference.
>
> Anyway, using the crockpot, I start it in the morning and just
> forget it until the next morning. No need to check like a
> simmering pot on the stove. Only thing I do is about after 12
> hours (that evening) I'll remove the lid to stir and break up any
> large pieces. Then lid back on until the morning.
>
> Next morning strain it then cool. And this is why I like to do
> this on cold days when I can set the pot with lid outside to cool
> quickly before going into the fridge. Hopefully Jill will now be
> able to imagine why someone might wait for cold days to cook
> large pots of anything.
>
> I freeze mine in lidded pint and quart containers.

Similar to me but mostly crockpot done 24 hours. I don't like using
the stove at all for this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 5:43:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 3:27:12 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:35:58 -0800 (PST), "
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >My largest pot is an 8 quart size. Sometimes I think a larger pot might be
> > >nice to have, but there comes the problem of where to store it when not in
> > >use. And no, no matter how convenient Sheldon thinks it is, I'm not storing
> > >cookware in the basement.

> > Large pots require little storage space as they nest, I have my often
> > used larger pots stored at the bottom of a closet,,, we have a
> > smallish pantry, those pots are in the pantry on the floor, along with
> > large sacks of cat chow, and a few large cutting boards standing on
> > edge.

My pots won't nest. They're all the same diameter with straight sides.

> No pantry here. What I call my 'pantry' is one of those 4 feet tall chrome
> restaurant shelves. That holds can goods with one shelf given over to the
> convection toaster oven. The top shelf holds my microwave and a knife block.
> This is why my pots are hanging on that pot rack over the kitchen window that
> I shared here a several weeks ago. Having three doorways in this tiny kitchen
> does not help with efficiency at all.
> >
> > All other often used pots on a shelf in that pantry. A lot of
> > cookware that's rarely used is in the basement. It's no big deal
> > having to retrieve things from the basement because we are down their
> > several times a day anyway.
> >

> My basement is a dugout space and if you're under 5'8" you can stand up in it.
> But it is definitely NOT a place I'd want to put anything down there other than
> the water heater, the furnace, and a sump pump. Steps are solid as a rock but
> quite narrow so I'd not wanting to be retrieving any cookware, canned goods,
> paper goods, or cat litter.

I had to look up "dugout basement", as I'd never heard of it before. We'd
call that a "Michigan basement". I can't remember if I've ever seen one.
There's a family legend about my grandfather and his brothers shooting pistols
in one, for target practice.

> > There's also a lot of kitchen stuff,

<obvious snippage>

> Honestly, your basement sounds jammed packed to the rafters unless it's a
> 5000 square foot area. No matter how neatly you have it, it still sounds
> a hoarders paradise.

As is my basement. We had the assessor down there a couple days ago,
and it looked like hell. All the better when you're "entertaining"
the tax assessor.

Every time I think about getting rid of stuff, I say "If I ever need
one of those again, I'd have to buy it. It's not doing any harm in
the basement."

> > In this county a building on a slab is not considered a permanent
> > dwelling, for insurance purposes a 2,000 sq ft building on a slab is
> > listed and taxed the same as a double wide trailor... barns here have
> > a higher status.
> >

> I doubt that. Some people just have no use for a basement and I doubt your
> tax accessor punishes people for not digging a basement.

Sounds like horseshit to me, too. Taxable valuation is related to the
market value (here), so a house without a basement would naturally be
worth less and its taxes would be lower.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> i worked in a large hotel. when we made chicken stock we used necks and backs exclusively. and started it out at around 9:00AM. bring to boil, skim and skim. get it down to an extremely low simmer. a couple of bubbles every minute. at around 6:00pm add water again and let it go all night. the morning cook turns it off. strain etc.

>Definitely. The 24 hour simmering time gives the best and richest
>results. I do the same.
>
>I don't skim (not concerned with clear broth) but I use my old
>crockpot. Start in the morning...about 12 hours later, open up
>and break up any large parts and stir, then lid back on for
>another 12 hours.
>
>After 24 hours, all the ingredient flavors are in the broth. You
>don't make chicken salad out of the chicken meat as it's totally
>flavorless by then. That tells me that Sheldon doesn't really
>make chicken or turkey broth. I even seem to remember a few years
>ago that he said that he didn't.

I use whole roasting chickens, MINUS the backs and necks to make
stock... the backs and necks contain spinal fluid and make for a
bitter FOUL (not fowl) tasting stock. I toss the backs and necks out
for the critters, and I've never seen a rat here, it's the possums,
and crows that snatch up the backs and necks. I've never made turkey
stock, once I've made a soup directly from a roast turkey carcass but
I really don't like turkey soup, none of the major canned soup
companys market a turkey soup. And for the kitchen moroons like Gary,
who can't cook, broth and stock are NOT the same. Roasting chickens
are inexpensive here, typically 79¢/lb, sometimes 69¢/lb... it's no
big loss to feed backs and necks to the critters... and the critters
gotta eat too.
Anyway I don't believe Gary can cook anything, to date I've not seen
anything he has claimed to have cooked, I don't believe he owns a
pot... and a Crockpot is NOT a pot, nor is Crockpotting cooking...
Crockpotting is a far lower form of food prep than preparing an
envelop of Lipton soup. Gary, Ramen is NOT cooking... and Golden
Arches, is definitely not cooking, that's not even food... it's hardly
food for a starving city rat.
I doubt many RFCers cook, very few have shown anything they've cooked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> > Hmmmmm, that's interesting. I may need to do some research before attempting
>> > to make stock in the pressure cooker.
>> >

>> YMMV:-) I think big commercial kitchens still use the long, slow method.

>i worked in a large hotel. when we made chicken stock we used necks and backs exclusively. and started it out at around 9:00AM. bring to boil, skim and skim. get it down to an extremely low simmer. a couple of bubbles every minute. at around 6:00pm add water again and let it go all night. the morning cook turns it off. strain etc.

You're full of poop... large hotels may use stock from a #10 can but
much more likely they use boullion cubes... no commissary kitchen is
going to pay peeps to tend giant pots of simmering bones and
trimmings. No restaurant (NONE) produces stock from scratch... they
use canned but most use boullion cubes/powder produced in a factory.
Perhaps 50 years ago commercial establishments prepared stock from
scratch but not anymore... my favorite Chinese restaurant just last
week admitted that they buy powdered boullion... the same as what's in
that tiny envelop encluded in a packet of ramen only they buy it in
large containers

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 11:19:28 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> wrote:
> >
> > i worked in a large hotel. when we made chicken stock we used necks and backs exclusively. and started it out at around 9:00AM. bring to boil, skim and skim. get it down to an extremely low simmer. a couple of bubbles every minute. at around 6:00pm add water again and let it go all night. the morning cook turns it off. strain etc.

> Definitely. The 24 hour simmering time gives the best and richest
> results. I do the same.
>
> I don't skim (not concerned with clear broth) but I use my old
> crockpot. Start in the morning...about 12 hours later, open up
> and break up any large parts and stir, then lid back on for
> another 12 hours.
>
> After 24 hours, all the ingredient flavors are in the broth. You
> don't make chicken salad out of the chicken meat as it's totally
> flavorless by then. That tells me that Sheldon doesn't really
> make chicken or turkey broth. I even seem to remember a few years
> ago that he said that he didn't. Just tossed all parts out to the
> critters (growing rat population too)

here(don't know if it's a county law or a city law)people are no longer allowed to feed the critters. some person left piles of nuts and stuff out for the wild critters and there ended up being a bit of a rat/racoon etc. problem. technically you can't throw a few nuts at a squirrel, but that would probably be overlooked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 5:49:28 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> [...]

> companys market a turkey soup. And for the kitchen moroons like Gary,
> who can't cook, broth and stock are NOT the same. Roasting chickens
> are inexpensive here, typically 79¢/lb, sometimes 69¢/lb... it's no
> big loss to feed backs and necks to the critters... and the critters
> gotta eat too.
> Anyway I don't believe Gary can cook anything, to date I've not seen
> anything he has claimed to have cooked, I don't believe he owns a
> pot... and a Crockpot is NOT a pot, nor is Crockpotting cooking...
> Crockpotting is a far lower form of food prep than preparing an
> envelop of Lipton soup. Gary, Ramen is NOT cooking... and Golden
> Arches, is definitely not cooking, that's not even food... it's hardly
> food for a starving city rat.
> I doubt many RFCers cook, very few have shown anything they've cooked.

my mum puts chicken feet into her stock. she doesn't cook her stock as long as i do. it is lighter in colour, lighter tasting but it has a very good flavour.
roast duck bones/carcass make a good stock. so do roasted turkey bones/carcass.
speaking of chickFeet, my buddy and i went into a bar in mazatlan, a bar where the locals go. we ordered a beer each and we got the beer and along with it a bowl of very tasty plain chicken soup and a plate of tortillas. the soup had a chicken foot in it. i don't eat chickFeet though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> YMMV:-) I think big commercial kitchens still use the long, slow method.

> >i worked in a large hotel. when we made chicken stock we used necks and backs exclusively. and started it out at around 9:00AM. bring to boil, skim and skim. get it down to an extremely low simmer. a couple of bubbles every minute. at around 6:00pm add water again and let it go all night. the morning cook turns it off. strain etc.

> You're full of poop... large hotels may use stock from a #10 can but
> much more likely they use boullion cubes... no commissary kitchen is
> going to pay peeps to tend giant pots of simmering bones and
> trimmings. No restaurant (NONE) produces stock from scratch... they
> use canned but most use boullion cubes/powder produced in a factory.
> Perhaps 50 years ago commercial establishments prepared stock from
> scratch but not anymore... my favorite Chinese restaurant just last
> week admitted that they buy powdered boullion... the same as what's in
> that tiny envelop encluded in a packet of ramen only they buy it in
> large containers

i'm not full of poop. why would i even post something that is full of poop? that was the only place that i worked in that used house made stock. every other place i worked at used chicken soup base. once the stock is going it needs very little looking after. oh, correction. we also made chickStock at a restaurant in vancouver.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> i worked in a large hotel. when we made chicken stock we used
>>> necks and backs exclusively. and started it out at around
>>> 9:00AM. bring to boil, skim and skim. get it down to an
>>> extremely low simmer. a couple of bubbles every minute. at
>>> around 6:00pm add water again and let it go all night. the
>>> morning cook turns it off. strain etc.

>> Definitely. The 24 hour simmering time gives the best and richest
>> results. I do the same.
>>
>> I don't skim (not concerned with clear broth) but I use my old
>> crockpot. Start in the morning...about 12 hours later, open up and
>> break up any large parts and stir, then lid back on for another 12
>> hours.
>>
>> After 24 hours, all the ingredient flavors are in the broth. You
>> don't make chicken salad out of the chicken meat as it's totally
>> flavorless by then. That tells me that Sheldon doesn't really make
>> chicken or turkey broth. I even seem to remember a few years ago
>> that he said that he didn't. Just tossed all parts out to the
>> critters (growing rat population too)

> here(don't know if it's a county law or a city law)people are no
> longer allowed to feed the critters. some person left piles of nuts
> and stuff out for the wild critters and there ended up being a bit of
> a rat/racoon etc. problem. technically you can't throw a few nuts at
> a squirrel, but that would probably be overlooked.

My friend has major problems with the crazy old lady next door. She puts
food out for critters. She puts out seed and suet for birds and puts dog
and cat food. That stuff can attract all sorts of undesirable animals.
Last year he went out and got some live traps and caught dozens of
squirrels and chipmunks and relocated them. When she learned that he
was trapping the animals she went postal and said she was going to
report him to the authorities.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> Definitely. The 24 hour simmering time gives the best and richest
> >> results. I do the same.
> >>
> >> I don't skim (not concerned with clear broth) but I use my old
> >> crockpot. Start in the morning...about 12 hours later, open up and
> >> break up any large parts and stir, then lid back on for another 12
> >> hours.
> >>
> >> After 24 hours, all the ingredient flavors are in the broth. You
> >> don't make chicken salad out of the chicken meat as it's totally
> >> flavorless by then. That tells me that Sheldon doesn't really make
> >> chicken or turkey broth. I even seem to remember a few years ago
> >> that he said that he didn't. Just tossed all parts out to the
> >> critters (growing rat population too)

> > here(don't know if it's a county law or a city law)people are no
> > longer allowed to feed the critters. some person left piles of nuts
> > and stuff out for the wild critters and there ended up being a bit of
> > a rat/racoon etc. problem. technically you can't throw a few nuts at
> > a squirrel, but that would probably be overlooked.
> >

> My friend has major problems with the crazy old lady next door. She puts
> food out for critters. She puts out seed and suet for birds and puts dog
> and cat food. That stuff can attract all sorts of undesirable animals.
> Last year he went out and got some live traps and caught dozens of
> squirrels and chipmunks and relocated them. When she learned that he
> was trapping the animals she went postal and said she was going to
> report him to the authorities.

I'd feel sorry for you but everybody has some crazy old lady next door. If they don't, it probably means they're the crazy old lady next door.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-28 12:08 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 6:29:28 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>> My friend has major problems with the crazy old lady next door. She
>> puts food out for critters. She puts out seed and suet for birds
>> and puts dog and cat food. That stuff can attract all sorts of
>> undesirable animals. Last year he went out and got some live traps
>> and caught dozens of squirrels and chipmunks and relocated them.
>> When she learned that he was trapping the animals she went postal
>> and said she was going to report him to the authorities.

> I'd feel sorry for you but everybody has some crazy old lady next
> door. If they don't, it probably means they're the crazy old lady
> next door.

Our old lady was not too bad, but she had a nosy one. When we first
moved here the patio was at the behind the house and close to the road
allowance. There were no trees or bushes there so it was pretty well
exposed to the neighbour and to the road. One weekend I went out and
bought enough lumber and posts to put up a couple sections of fence for
privacy. I go an early start and was finished about noon. I went inside
for lunch just in time to answer the phone. It was the neighbour " Hi
Dave. I see you have put up a fence." Son of a gun that she not only
saw the fence but just happened to call as I went inside. She had
probably been spying on me. I figured that the fence had just paid for
itself.

A few years later she started whining about my septic system. She aid
that it was leaking and flooding into her back yard. Curiously, her
house is much higher than mine and has a fair slope down to the stream
that runs across the property in between and then through my back yard.
In her world, my sewage was running 150 yards up stream and then uphill
into her back yard.

I was telling one of the other neighbours about this and he told me that
she didn't have a septic bed. Apparently they had a septic tank that
drained into a big pit of gravel. A few years after that she put her
house up for sale. The purchaser planned to tear it down and build a
big house way at the back of the property. Their plans were turned down
by the town, even though they had started to gut it..... like. well you
have to let us do this because the house has already been gutted. That
left them having to refinish the interior and they had to put in a
septic bed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2019 8:47 AM, Gary wrote:
> Anyway, using the crockpot, I start it in the morning and just
> forget it until the next morning. No need to check like a
> simmering pot on the stove. Only thing I do is about after 12
> hours (that evening) I'll remove the lid to stir and break up any
> large pieces. Then lid back on until the morning.

I've been meaning to try the crockpot method. Do you set the crockpot
to Low? I have an old one, all it has is a Low, High and [keep] Warm
setting. I'm going to guess Low for the 24 hours?

> Next morning strain it then cool. And this is why I like to do
> this on cold days when I can set the pot with lid outside to cool
> quickly before going into the fridge. Hopefully Jill will now be
> able to imagine why someone might wait for cold days to cook
> large pots of anything.

I saw the winky, Gary, but to clarify I never said I couldn't imagine
waiting for cold weather to make *large pots* of anything. I said I
don't understand why some people only make/eat soup when it's cold
outside (aka Winter). I make and eat soup year round. Hey, I also
don't hesitate to use the oven in the summer. Heheh.

At any rate, it simply doesn't get that cold down here. The idea of
setting something outside to cool down before putting it in the fridge
doesn't really fit this climate.

> I freeze mine in lidded pint and quart containers.

I have lots of Rubbermaid containers in various sizes for freezing
things. I love how sturdy they are and how tightly the lids fit.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-02 9:57 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/26/2019 8:47 AM, Gary wrote:

>> Next morning strain it then cool. And this is why I like to do
>> this on cold days when I can set the pot with lid outside to cool
>> quickly before going into the fridge. Hopefully Jill will now be
>> able to imagine why someone might wait for cold days to cook
>> large pots of anything.
>>

> I saw the winky, Gary, but to clarify I never said I couldn't imagine
> waiting for cold weather to make *large pots* of anything.Â* I said I
> don't understand why some people only make/eat soup when it's cold
> outside (aka Winter).Â* I make and eat soup year round. Â* Hey, I also
> don't hesitate to use the oven in the summer. Heheh.
>
> At any rate, it simply doesn't get that cold down here.Â* The idea of
> setting something outside to cool down before putting it in the fridge
> doesn't really fit this climate.

You have lived in a lot more places than I have and you are currently in
a hot climate. You are used to it. Up here we start to melt when the
thermometer goes over 80 degrees. We don't don't eat soup when it is
hot. Restaurants that offer soup or salad as a first course sell a lot
of salads in the summer and soup in the winter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/26/2019 6:35 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 4:52:56 PM UTC-5, wrote:

>>> Really? Wow. I'm making turkey stock even as we speak. Just
>>> in a pot on the stove, though. I can't count how many times
>>> I've made chicken, turkey, or beef stock. Just once or twice for
>>> vegetable broth, though.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> I know, I know. I'm terrible behind the times when I could make my own. A
>> few years ago on America's Test Kitchen Chris Kimball said it was very easy
>> to do in a slow cooker or on top of the stove.

> Behind the times? I've been making stock for decades.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Joan said *she* was behind the times, not you. So what if she doesn't
make stock? Maybe she doesn't have a lot of need or use for stock.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I've been meaning to try the crockpot method. Do you set the crockpot
> to Low? I have an old one, all it has is a Low, High and [keep] Warm
> setting. I'm going to guess Low for the 24 hours?

Hi Jill, evidently my old crockpot is even older than yours.
It's a Rival from 1980, give or take a year or so.
It has only 3 setting: Off, Low, and High.
No warm setting on mine.

I put all ingredients in, then fill up with cold water right
up to about 1/2 inch below where the lid sits. I turn it on high
for about an hour (just to heat it up quicker) then I turn
it down to low for 24 hours or so.

> > I freeze mine in lidded pint and quart containers.

> I have lots of Rubbermaid containers in various sizes for freezing
> things. I love how sturdy they are and how tightly the lids fit.

I often reuse old containers with lids from store items.
I do still have many Tupperware things though.
I've learned too to label them before freezing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> You have lived in a lot more places than I have and you are currently in
> a hot climate. You are used to it. Up here we start to melt when the
> thermometer goes over 80 degrees.

I used to talk to a guy lived all his life in Barrow, AK.
He told me that once, they had a rare heat wave...
the temps got over 60F and the whole town was suffering
from the heat. lol.

I remember one year, I had a January heat wave in Virginia.
My morning temp was 65F at 9am eastern. He wrote right back just
a few minutes later and said his current temp was -36F.
That was so interesting to me. As we exchanged a few emails,
his temperature was over 100F colder. oh man.

> We don't don't eat soup when it is hot.

Just like Jill. I eat anything that sounds good no matter the
weather. My house is always a good temp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/2/2019 12:12 PM, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>> We don't don't eat soup when it is hot.

> Just like Jill. I eat anything that sounds good no matter the
> weather. My house is always a good temp.

No, not just like Jill. I make and eat hot soup year round. I don't
know how many times I have to say it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2019 13:00:07 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/26/2019 5:25 PM, wrote:
>> On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 1:03:32 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:46:49 -0800 (PST), "

>>> well, you need to be the judge, after all, we all have our taste
>>> preferences as well as our own set of taste buds. Let me know how it
>>> turns out for you. I will toss in some onion, celery butt and a
>>> carrot and if I feel like it a clove of garlic in the pot. Just a
>>> small amount of salt to help pull the flavor from everything. No more
>>> seasoning until I get around to using the stock. Then I taste and see
>>> what I want to add depending upon what soup I'm making.
>>> Today I am thawing a quart of really concentrated stock for soup for
>>> lunch tomorrow.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I've seen stock made on several cooking shows through the years and they
>> pretty much add what you add. Some do thrown in a few peppercorns, too,
>> and maybe a couple of bay leaves and that's pretty much it.
>>

>Yep, I add a few peppercorns and a bay leaf or two. Good luck with
>using the pressure cooker.
>
>Jill

I don't know why I do it, but I reserve the bay leaf and thyme for the
final soup. But yes, I do toss some peppercorns in when making the
stock.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/2/2019 12:12 PM, Gary wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:
> >>

> >> We don't don't eat soup when it is hot.

> > Just like Jill. I eat anything that sounds good no matter the
> > weather. My house is always a good temp.
> >

> No, not just like Jill. I make and eat hot soup year round. I don't
> know how many times I have to say it.

So do I, "you ignorant slut." sheez. I was talking about soup,
not other things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10:44:03 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-02 9:57 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> > On 2/26/2019 8:47 AM, Gary wrote:

> >> Next morning strain it then cool. And this is why I like to do
> >> this on cold days when I can set the pot with lid outside to cool
> >> quickly before going into the fridge. Hopefully Jill will now be
> >> able to imagine why someone might wait for cold days to cook
> >> large pots of anything.
> >>

> > I saw the winky, Gary, but to clarify I never said I couldn't imagine
> > waiting for cold weather to make *large pots* of anything.Â* I said I
> > don't understand why some people only make/eat soup when it's cold
> > outside (aka Winter).Â* I make and eat soup year round. Â* Hey, I also
> > don't hesitate to use the oven in the summer. Heheh.
> >
> > At any rate, it simply doesn't get that cold down here.Â* The idea of
> > setting something outside to cool down before putting it in the fridge
> > doesn't really fit this climate.

> You have lived in a lot more places than I have and you are currently in
> a hot climate. You are used to it. Up here we start to melt when the
> thermometer goes over 80 degrees. We don't don't eat soup when it is
> hot. Restaurants that offer soup or salad as a first course sell a lot
> of salads in the summer and soup in the winter.

I eat soup in the summer, but my house is 71 F year round.

I give my electric bill a break by not using the oven in the summer.
That's what the gas grill is for.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I can't imagine an appliance
> deciding for me when something is cooked to my liking and turning itself
> off. Sounds like a big design flaw for a crockpot.

It's just cooking it "lightly."
Also you said another "I can't imagine"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 10:51:01 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 2/26/2019 6:35 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I know, I know. I'm terrible behind the times when I could make my own. A
> >> few years ago on America's Test Kitchen Chris Kimball said it was very easy
> >> to do in a slow cooker or on top of the stove.

> > Behind the times? I've been making stock for decades.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Joan said *she* was behind the times, not you. So what if she doesn't
> make stock? Maybe she doesn't have a lot of need or use for stock.
>
> Jill

Making stock is not a new innovation. If she's behind the times, then
she's several hundred years behind the times.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> I don't know why I do it, but I reserve the bay leaf and thyme for the
> final soup. But yes, I do toss some peppercorns in when making the
> stock.

I know why you do it. Best to make chicken stock as plain as can
be. That gives it a wide variety of uses in many dishes. I always
make mine plain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> I don't know why I do it, but I reserve the bay leaf and thyme for the
> final soup. But yes, I do toss some peppercorns in when making the
> stock.

I know why you do it. Best to make chicken stock as plain as can
be. That gives it a wide variety of uses in many dishes. I always
make mine plain.

==

What do you use yours for?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I've been meaning to try the crockpot method. Do you set the
> > crockpot to Low? I have an old one, all it has is a Low, High and
> > [keep] Warm setting. I'm going to guess Low for the 24 hours?

> Hi Jill, evidently my old crockpot is even older than yours.
> It's a Rival from 1980, give or take a year or so.
> It has only 3 setting: Off, Low, and High.
> No warm setting on mine.
>
> I put all ingredients in, then fill up with cold water right
> up to about 1/2 inch below where the lid sits. I turn it on high
> for about an hour (just to heat it up quicker) then I turn
> it down to low for 24 hours or so.
>
> > > I freeze mine in lidded pint and quart containers.

> > I have lots of Rubbermaid containers in various sizes for freezing
> > things. I love how sturdy they are and how tightly the lids fit.

> I often reuse old containers with lids from store items.
> I do still have many Tupperware things though.
> I've learned too to label them before freezing.

I've got 3 crockpots here. All are the non-digital types as those are
all crappy auto-shut off stuff. The difference is in sizes with the
middle one most used. Butterbeans and hamhocks with fresh minced
garlic and whisky smoked black pepper going now.