Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bean sprouts

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 08:48:00 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > Never a food poisoning issue if you make them yourself.

>> It actually can be, even if you're careful.

>Well, I read your govt. link but I suspect they are just trying
>to protect people that don't keep up with the careful prep. We
>made them for a few years on a regular basis and added them raw
>to salads. Never a problem. Oh well.

did you read the part about a humid environment for sprouting being a
good growth environment for pre-existing bacteria? That has nothing
to do with you and careful prep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 9:21:39 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2/23/2019 5:22 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer
> > available for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of
> > sprouts. Like micro-greens.

> I have no idea what yer talking about, but I've tried (unsuccessfully, I
> might add) to grow mung bean sprouts in a both pint and quart "wide
> mouth" jars (sprouting jars).

Mung beans are notoriously difficult. Most home sprouters
start with alfalfa or radish.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-26 10:12 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 9:21:39 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>> On 2/23/2019 5:22 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer
>>> available for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of
>>> sprouts. Like micro-greens.

>> I have no idea what yer talking about, but I've tried (unsuccessfully, I
>> might add) to grow mung bean sprouts in a both pint and quart "wide
>> mouth" jars (sprouting jars).

> Mung beans are notoriously difficult. Most home sprouters
> start with alfalfa or radish.

I first tried more than 40 years ago, and mung beans were pretty much
the only sprout being eaten back then. I gave up after three tries. If
I want fresh sprouts I want them that day. I don't plan my cooking a few
days in advance. Anything stuck into a dark cupboard got forgotten.
Sprouting and I are not compatible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 11:19:23 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-26 10:12 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I have no idea what yer talking about, but I've tried (unsuccessfully, I
> >> might add) to grow mung bean sprouts in a both pint and quart "wide
> >> mouth" jars (sprouting jars).

> > Mung beans are notoriously difficult. Most home sprouters
> > start with alfalfa or radish.

> I first tried more than 40 years ago, and mung beans were pretty much
> the only sprout being eaten back then. I gave up after three tries. If
> I want fresh sprouts I want them that day. I don't plan my cooking a few
> days in advance. Anything stuck into a dark cupboard got forgotten.
> Sprouting and I are not compatible.

Here in Hippie Central, we were eating all kinds of sprouts 40-odd years ago.

I'm still quite fond of radish sprouts on an egg salad sandwich, but I
usually make do with finely minced radishes.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 07:12:50 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 9:21:39 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>> On 2/23/2019 5:22 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer
>> > available for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of
>> > sprouts. Like micro-greens.

>> I have no idea what yer talking about, but I've tried (unsuccessfully, I
>> might add) to grow mung bean sprouts in a both pint and quart "wide
>> mouth" jars (sprouting jars).

>Mung beans are notoriously difficult. Most home sprouters
>start with alfalfa or radish.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I once had a Chia Pet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 11:01:19 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> I once had a Chia Pet.

They're still sold every Christmas around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> >> I think I read or saw on the news that the food fad of micro greens
> >> are all suspect. Lemme check. Yup. Google "micro greens food

> safety" >> if interested. I'm not. Bean sprouts are the original
> micro greens. >> Anybody here eat romaine lettuce?
> > >
> >> leo

> > My dog loves it! Before you think that too wierd, she's been on
> > Tramadol for years (arthritis) and it's a natural constipation
> > reliever for dogs. Just like grass is. She's an epicure on greens
> > is all ;-) Reallive loves Endive but I'm a little too cheap to buy
> > it for the dog....
> >
> > Warmly wierd, I may start the romaine and baby lettuce containers
> > early and see how it goes. Worst is I lose a pack of seeds each.
> > ==
> >
> > It feels really odd when you say that about your dog) I have been
> > on Tramadol for arthritis for years too LOL
> >
> > Kindred spirits eh)

> Hehe yup! BTW the leafy greens don't fix constipation for humans (far
> as I know). Dogs were not built to eat greens much so for them, it is
> an adjustment. They seem to know exactly how much they need and eat
> just that.
>
> Iowna is giving me the stink eye as her bowl has regular iceburg
> today. She picked every leaf out and put it beside her bowl looking
> for 'the good stuff' then put it all back, gave me a stink eye, and
> munched some iceburg....
>
> ==
>
> LOLOL Awww Bless her)
>
> No, I wouldn't expect lettuce to help humans

Well, I stopped at the store and got her a small bag of Romaine. Had
to hunt a little to find just romaine as most were mixed with kale and
my snobby little girl does NOT LIKE KALE!

LOL, made that mistake once. She picked out every bit of kale and
nosed it under the fridge..... Had a heck of a time getting it all out
from under (disabilities, I don't handle that motion type well)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:48:03 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> > Ophelia wrote:

> > > fry. >> It's a shame that they have turned out to be such a
> > > risky food to >> eat raw because they are so good that way.

> > > My dog loves it! Before you think that too wierd, she's been on
> > > Tramadol for years (arthritis) and it's a natural constipation
> > > reliever for dogs. Just like grass is. She's an epicure on
> > > greens is all ;-) Reallive loves Endive but I'm a little too
> > > cheap to buy it for the dog....
> > >
> > > Warmly wierd, I may start the romaine and baby lettuce containers
> > > early and see how it goes. Worst is I lose a pack of seeds each.
> > > ==
> > >
> > > It feels really odd when you say that about your dog) I have
> > > been on Tramadol for arthritis for years too LOL
> > >
> > > Kindred spirits eh)

> > Hehe yup! BTW the leafy greens don't fix constipation for humans
> > (far as I know).

> Perhaps not, but they can help prevent it. My working hypothesis is
> that residual microbes on the lettuce keeps the gut flora in balance.
> We evolved eating raw leaves (among other things). I'm happy to
> cooperate with evolution.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Actually they probably help with fiber to an extent and that helps.

Anyways, my other dog (Cash) also likes to nibble the lettuce instead
of grass. He's not quite as picky as Iowna but he has slight
preferences too, leaning to 'baby lettuce' a bit more than romaine. He
also likes a thin slice of celery which Iowna ignores. Both like
little bits of raw carrot but then, most dogs do. They also like
Nappa/Asian cabbage and bok choy. They aren't overly fond of mustard
greens but if I find them young and fresh, they like them well enough.

It probably sounds a little crazy but what we do is test various leafy
greens on them that we commonly eat, so we have a fair list.

Our cat likes to nibble just a single leaf of water spinach. She won't
take more than a bite or two and is largely indifferent to the other
things.

Colectively they consume about 1/8 cup of loosely packed greens a day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2/23/2019 5:22 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I know this subject came up before. I thought they were no longer
>> available for sale. But I noticed some stores selling other types of
>> sprouts. Like micro-greens.

> I have no idea what yer talking about, but I've tried (unsuccessfully, I
> might add) to grow mung bean sprouts in a both pint and quart "wide mouth"
> jars (sprouting jars). I usta jes buy mung or soy sprouts at a distant
> Asian mrkt, when I still lived in the SFBA.
>
> I think "micro-greens" are merely different types of sprout seeds.
>
> https://tinyurl.com/y59he6yd
>
> nb

They are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-02-26 10:12 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I have no idea what yer talking about, but I've tried (unsuccessfully, I
>>> might add) to grow mung bean sprouts in a both pint and quart "wide
>>> mouth" jars (sprouting jars).

>> Mung beans are notoriously difficult. Most home sprouters
>> start with alfalfa or radish.

> I first tried more than 40 years ago, and mung beans were pretty much the
> only sprout being eaten back then. I gave up after three tries. If I want
> fresh sprouts I want them that day. I don't plan my cooking a few days in
> advance. Anything stuck into a dark cupboard got forgotten. Sprouting and
> I are not compatible.

That's the problem with sprouts. I didn't want to eat them every day and I
always wound up throwing some out. Nobody else would eat them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> >> I think I read or saw on the news that the food fad of micro greens
> >> are all suspect. Lemme check. Yup. Google "micro greens food

> safety" >> if interested. I'm not. Bean sprouts are the original
> micro greens. >> Anybody here eat romaine lettuce?
> > >
> >> leo

> > My dog loves it! Before you think that too wierd, she's been on
> > Tramadol for years (arthritis) and it's a natural constipation
> > reliever for dogs. Just like grass is. She's an epicure on greens
> > is all ;-) Reallive loves Endive but I'm a little too cheap to buy
> > it for the dog....
> >
> > Warmly wierd, I may start the romaine and baby lettuce containers
> > early and see how it goes. Worst is I lose a pack of seeds each.
> > ==
> >
> > It feels really odd when you say that about your dog) I have been
> > on Tramadol for arthritis for years too LOL
> >
> > Kindred spirits eh)

> Hehe yup! BTW the leafy greens don't fix constipation for humans (far
> as I know). Dogs were not built to eat greens much so for them, it is
> an adjustment. They seem to know exactly how much they need and eat
> just that.
>
> Iowna is giving me the stink eye as her bowl has regular iceburg
> today. She picked every leaf out and put it beside her bowl looking
> for 'the good stuff' then put it all back, gave me a stink eye, and
> munched some iceburg....
>
> ==
>
> LOLOL Awww Bless her)
>
> No, I wouldn't expect lettuce to help humans

Well, I stopped at the store and got her a small bag of Romaine. Had
to hunt a little to find just romaine as most were mixed with kale and
my snobby little girl does NOT LIKE KALE!

LOL, made that mistake once. She picked out every bit of kale and
nosed it under the fridge..... Had a heck of a time getting it all out
from under (disabilities, I don't handle that motion type well)

==

LOL she knows how to get what she wants .. or not)) Clever girl)