Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb shoulder blade chops

I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
meat on them, three for under $8. Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
dinner.

If the weather isn't rainy tomorrow I plan to grill them. If it's rainy
(which is likely) I'll use the grill pan on the stove top. Either way
I'll brush them with a bit of neutral oil, S&P and some minced garlic.
And crushed dried rosemary and dried thyme.

I used to dislike dried rosemary but that was dried rosemary which was
like sharp pine needles. Finely crushed using a pestle and mortar and
used *sparingly*, it's quite nice on lamb.

I haven't decided what to cook with the lamb chops yet. Lots of things
to choose from!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
> meat on them, three for under $8. Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
> dinner.

Three under $8.00 is meaningless.
Probably about a pound or very slightly more total for the 3.
Be sure to add 4 brussel sprouts (lightly oiled) to
complete your meal.
Send a pic else this a lie. Popeye told me this to watch out for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 12:56:25 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
>meat on them, three for under $8. Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
>dinner.
>
>If the weather isn't rainy tomorrow I plan to grill them. If it's rainy
>(which is likely) I'll use the grill pan on the stove top. Either way
>I'll brush them with a bit of neutral oil, S&P and some minced garlic.
>And crushed dried rosemary and dried thyme.
>
>I used to dislike dried rosemary but that was dried rosemary which was
>like sharp pine needles. Finely crushed using a pestle and mortar and
>used *sparingly*, it's quite nice on lamb.
>
>I haven't decided what to cook with the lamb chops yet. Lots of things
>to choose from!
>
>Jill

I used to cook that kind of lamb cut as a braise. I'd brown the chops
with onion, garlic and green pepper. Add tomatoes and soy sauce.
Serve
over rice. I know you don't care for anything like this but your
chops made me think of it and now I have a craving. I'll have to look
for lamb the next time I am at Albertsons. Albertsons because they
cut up a whole lamb and sell all the pieces. Other supermarkets on my
route by the pre-packaged, crovac'd stuff with just the top selling
pieces of lamb. . . chops and leg. Dummies! Some of us want the
other parts of a critter.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Gary wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
> > meat on them, three for under $8. Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
> > dinner.

> Three under $8.00 is meaningless.
> Probably about a pound or very slightly more total for the 3.
> Be sure to add 4 brussel sprouts (lightly oiled) to
> complete your meal.
> Send a pic else this a lie. Popeye told me this to watch out for.

Sheldon abhors lamb, ya know, he will say it "SCHTINKS", lol...

Can't remember the last time I imbibed on lamb, it was many years ago...as a meat it's pretty much "off the radar" anymore...

Greek joints offer lamb...and there's a Chinese place in town that offers "Sheep Intestine Soup"...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 12:56:25 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
> meat on them, three for under $8. Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
> dinner.
>
> If the weather isn't rainy tomorrow I plan to grill them. If it's rainy
> (which is likely) I'll use the grill pan on the stove top. Either way
> I'll brush them with a bit of neutral oil, S&P and some minced garlic.
> And crushed dried rosemary and dried thyme.
>
> I used to dislike dried rosemary but that was dried rosemary which was
> like sharp pine needles. Finely crushed using a pestle and mortar and
> used *sparingly*, it's quite nice on lamb.
>
> I haven't decided what to cook with the lamb chops yet. Lots of things
> to choose from!

What you have are the pork butt of lamb, but with a higher gristle
to meat ratio. They can be pretty tough and don't take well to
quick grilling, IMO. I would season and grill, then wrap in foil
and bake or keep over a low grill to break down some of that
gristle/fat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2019 1:22 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 12:56:25 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
>> meat on them, three for under $8. Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
>> dinner.
>>
>> If the weather isn't rainy tomorrow I plan to grill them. If it's rainy
>> (which is likely) I'll use the grill pan on the stove top. Either way
>> I'll brush them with a bit of neutral oil, S&P and some minced garlic.
>> And crushed dried rosemary and dried thyme.
>>
>> I used to dislike dried rosemary but that was dried rosemary which was
>> like sharp pine needles. Finely crushed using a pestle and mortar and
>> used *sparingly*, it's quite nice on lamb.
>>
>> I haven't decided what to cook with the lamb chops yet. Lots of things
>> to choose from!
>>
>> Jill

> I used to cook that kind of lamb cut as a braise. I'd brown the chops
> with onion, garlic and green pepper. Add tomatoes and soy sauce.
> Serve
> over rice. I know you don't care for anything like this but your
> chops made me think of it and now I have a craving. I'll have to look
> for lamb the next time I am at Albertsons. Albertsons because they
> cut up a whole lamb and sell all the pieces. Other supermarkets on my
> route by the pre-packaged, crovac'd stuff with just the top selling
> pieces of lamb. . . chops and leg. Dummies! Some of us want the
> other parts of a critter.
> Janet US

Okay, perhaps I'll braise them. Or I could marinate them. Looks like
it's going to rain tomorrow anyway.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 18:08:02 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/23/2019 1:22 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 12:56:25 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
>>> meat on them, three for under $8. Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
>>> dinner.
>>>
>>> If the weather isn't rainy tomorrow I plan to grill them. If it's rainy
>>> (which is likely) I'll use the grill pan on the stove top. Either way
>>> I'll brush them with a bit of neutral oil, S&P and some minced garlic.
>>> And crushed dried rosemary and dried thyme.
>>>
>>> I used to dislike dried rosemary but that was dried rosemary which was
>>> like sharp pine needles. Finely crushed using a pestle and mortar and
>>> used *sparingly*, it's quite nice on lamb.
>>>
>>> I haven't decided what to cook with the lamb chops yet. Lots of things
>>> to choose from!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I used to cook that kind of lamb cut as a braise. I'd brown the chops
>> with onion, garlic and green pepper. Add tomatoes and soy sauce.
>> Serve
>> over rice. I know you don't care for anything like this but your
>> chops made me think of it and now I have a craving. I'll have to look
>> for lamb the next time I am at Albertsons. Albertsons because they
>> cut up a whole lamb and sell all the pieces. Other supermarkets on my
>> route by the pre-packaged, crovac'd stuff with just the top selling
>> pieces of lamb. . . chops and leg. Dummies! Some of us want the
>> other parts of a critter.
>> Janet US
>>

>Okay, perhaps I'll braise them. Or I could marinate them. Looks like
>it's going to rain tomorrow anyway.
>
>Jill

I hope that you just get 'rain'. Wowee, zowee, there is some wicked
weather going through the middle states. Keep your powder dry ;-)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-23 6:08 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/23/2019 1:22 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 12:56:25 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
>>> meat on them, three for under $8.Â* Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
>>> dinner.
>>>
>>> If the weather isn't rainy tomorrow I plan to grill them.Â* If it's rainy
>>> (which is likely) I'll use the grill pan on the stove top.Â* Either way
>>> I'll brush them with a bit of neutral oil, S&P and some minced garlic.
>>> And crushed dried rosemary and dried thyme.
>>>
>>> I used to dislike dried rosemary but that was dried rosemary which was
>>> like sharp pine needles.Â* Finely crushed using a pestle and mortar and
>>> used *sparingly*, it's quite nice on lamb.
>>>
>>> I haven't decided what to cook with the lamb chops yet.Â* Lots of things
>>> to choose from!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I used to cook that kind of lamb cut as a braise.Â* I'd brown the chops
>> with onion, garlic and green pepper.Â* Add tomatoes and soy sauce.
>> Serve
>> over rice.Â* I know you don't care for anything like this but your
>> chops made me think of it and now I have a craving.Â* I'll have to look
>> for lamb the next time I am at Albertsons.Â* Albertsons because they
>> cut up a whole lamb and sell all the pieces.Â* Other supermarkets on my
>> route by the pre-packaged, crovac'd stuff with just the top selling
>> pieces of lamb. . . chops and leg.Â* Dummies!Â* Some of us want the
>> other parts of a critter.
>> Janet US
>>

> Okay, perhaps I'll braise them.Â* Or I could marinate them.Â* Looks like
> it's going to rain tomorrow anyway.

Tomorrow it should be almost warm enough use the gas BBQ on the patio.
The problem will be the 60 mph plus winds.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't lose any trees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-23 6:43 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 18:08:02 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>> Okay, perhaps I'll braise them. Or I could marinate them. Looks like
>> it's going to rain tomorrow anyway.
>>
>> Jill

> I hope that you just get 'rain'. Wowee, zowee, there is some wicked
> weather going through the middle states. Keep your powder dry ;-)

It is heading our way. They are talking but 25 mph winds and gusts to 70
mph.

I am thinking maybe I should get my kayaks out of the barn and strap the
to the patio fence.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2019 6:43 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 18:08:02 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/23/2019 1:22 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I used to cook that kind of lamb cut as a braise. I'd brown the chops
>>> with onion, garlic and green pepper. Add tomatoes and soy sauce.
>>> Serve
>>> over rice. I know you don't care for anything like this but your
>>> chops made me think of it and now I have a craving. I'll have to look
>>> for lamb the next time I am at Albertsons. Albertsons because they
>>> cut up a whole lamb and sell all the pieces. Other supermarkets on my
>>> route by the pre-packaged, crovac'd stuff with just the top selling
>>> pieces of lamb. . . chops and leg. Dummies! Some of us want the
>>> other parts of a critter.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Okay, perhaps I'll braise them. Or I could marinate them. Looks like
>> it's going to rain tomorrow anyway.
>>
>> Jill

> I hope that you just get 'rain'. Wowee, zowee, there is some wicked
> weather going through the middle states. Keep your powder dry ;-)
> Janet US

Well, I'm not in the middle states. But who knows what will happen. So
far predicted is rain and temps in the 70's with wind 10-15 mph. It's
already gotten humid this year. And it feels like it's been raining all
month. I saw the sun on Friday afternoon. By Friday night it clouded
up again.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:50:18 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/23/2019 6:43 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

snip

>> I hope that you just get 'rain'. Wowee, zowee, there is some wicked
>> weather going through the middle states. Keep your powder dry ;-)
>> Janet US
>>

>Well, I'm not in the middle states. But who knows what will happen. So
>far predicted is rain and temps in the 70's with wind 10-15 mph. It's
>already gotten humid this year. And it feels like it's been raining all
>month. I saw the sun on Friday afternoon. By Friday night it clouded
>up again.
>
>Jill

I was thinking middle in a lateral line.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-23 7:31 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-23 6:08 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/23/2019 1:22 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I used to cook that kind of lamb cut as a braise.Â* I'd brown the chops
>>> with onion, garlic and green pepper.Â* Add tomatoes and soy sauce.
>>> Serve
>>> over rice.Â* I know you don't care for anything like this but your
>>> chops made me think of it and now I have a craving.Â* I'll have to look
>>> for lamb the next time I am at Albertsons.Â* Albertsons because they
>>> cut up a whole lamb and sell all the pieces.Â* Other supermarkets on my
>>> route by the pre-packaged, crovac'd stuff with just the top selling
>>> pieces of lamb. . . chops and leg.Â* Dummies!Â* Some of us want the
>>> other parts of a critter.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Okay, perhaps I'll braise them.Â* Or I could marinate them.Â* Looks like
>> it's going to rain tomorrow anyway.
>>

> Tomorrow it should be almost warm enough use the gas BBQ on the patio.
> The problem will be the 60 mph plus winds.
> I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't lose any trees.

-29C predicted here tomorrow night:-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-23 11:40 p.m., graham wrote:
> On 2019-02-23 7:31 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-02-23 6:08 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> Okay, perhaps I'll braise them.Â* Or I could marinate them.Â* Looks
>>> like it's going to rain tomorrow anyway.
>>>

>> Tomorrow it should be almost warm enough use the gas BBQ on the patio.
>> The problem will be the 60 mph plus winds.
>> I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't lose any trees.
>>

> -29C predicted here tomorrow night:-(

If I were BBQing at -29C I would need a grill with a lid big enough for
me to climb in with the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:31:09 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-23 6:08 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/23/2019 1:22 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> I used to cook that kind of lamb cut as a braise.* I'd brown the chops
>>> with onion, garlic and green pepper.* Add tomatoes and soy sauce.
>>> Serve
>>> over rice.* I know you don't care for anything like this but your
>>> chops made me think of it and now I have a craving.* I'll have to look
>>> for lamb the next time I am at Albertsons.* Albertsons because they
>>> cut up a whole lamb and sell all the pieces.* Other supermarkets on my
>>> route by the pre-packaged, crovac'd stuff with just the top selling
>>> pieces of lamb. . . chops and leg.* Dummies!* Some of us want the
>>> other parts of a critter.
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Okay, perhaps I'll braise them.* Or I could marinate them.* Looks like
>> it's going to rain tomorrow anyway.
>>

>Tomorrow it should be almost warm enough use the gas BBQ on the patio.
>The problem will be the 60 mph plus winds.
>I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't lose any trees.

Lamb shoulder chops are not good candidates for the BBQ.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:40:53 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2019-02-23 7:31 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Okay, perhaps I'll braise them.* Or I could marinate them.* Looks like
>>> it's going to rain tomorrow anyway.
>>>

>> Tomorrow it should be almost warm enough use the gas BBQ on the patio.
>> The problem will be the 60 mph plus winds.
>> I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't lose any trees.
>>

>-29C predicted here tomorrow night:-(

We are getting some more snow later tonight but this afternoon it will
be wind that is the problem, over 100 k (or however they measure it)
and we are going across the bridge to Dartmouth and back for my
grandsons 43 birthday. Whichever bridge we take, I think it's going
to be rough Bonus is the restaurant has the best fried clams
you could ever want.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A pic (WAS: Lamb shoulder blade chops)

On 2/23/2019 1:13 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
>> meat on them, three for under $8. Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
>> dinner.

> Three under $8.00 is meaningless.
> Probably about a pound or very slightly more total for the 3.
> Be sure to add 4 brussel sprouts (lightly oiled) to
> complete your meal.
> Send a pic else this a lie. Popeye told me this to watch out for.

I gather you're poking fun at my small appetite. Hey, there's plenty
of meat on those chops for me. In fact I will probably only eat one
chop. But hey, brussels sprouts are a fine idea! I'll make and eat a
lot more than 4 of them (buttered). Thanks for the suggestion.

https://i.postimg.cc/0yfgHzFv/lambchops.jpg

If you can read the label, the suggested preparation method is
*grilling*, despite what others have posted. At this point the weather
is questionable but cooking outdoors is not essential.

Will I post a pic of the finished chops? Only time (and my mood) will
tell.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2019 8:49 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-24 7:48 a.m., wrote:

>>> Tomorrow it should be almost warm enough use the gas BBQ on the patio.
>>> The problem will be the 60 mph plus winds.
>>> I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't lose any trees.
>>>

>> Lamb shoulder chops are not good candidates for the BBQ.
>>

> I disagree. In fact, that was how I was introduced to lamb. When my wife
> and I were just dating she cooked them for me on a hibachi. We didn't
> have lamb in hour house because my father hated it.Â* We often had BBQed
> shoulder chops. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than loin chops. I
> would agree that loin chops are better, and better on the grill, but
> there BBQed shoulder chops are quite tasty. You just have to deal with
> the bone and the fat.

I'd have to deal with bone and fat with certain cuts of beef steaks or
pork chops, too. I just posted a pic of the raw shoulder chops but here
it is again:

https://i.postimg.cc/0yfgHzFv/lambchops.jpg

If you read the label the suggested cooking method is *grilling*.

It does look like it's going to rain this afternoon. Fortunately,
cooking outdoors is not a requirement.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/23/2019 1:13 PM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
> >> meat on them, three for under $8. Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
> >> dinner.

> > Three under $8.00 is meaningless.
> > Probably about a pound or very slightly more total for the 3.
> > Be sure to add 4 brussel sprouts (lightly oiled) to
> > complete your meal.
> >

> I gather you're poking fun at my small appetite. Hey, there's plenty
> of meat on those chops for me. In fact I will probably only eat one
> chop. But hey, brussels sprouts are a fine idea! I'll make and eat a
> lot more than 4 of them (buttered). Thanks for the suggestion.

Good morning, Jill. Wasn't teasing at all. 4 brussel sprouts cut
in half then roasted would be plenty for me. As far as those
chops? Plenty of meat on each one for me again. I would pan fry
them just like a steak. Nice marbling on those. For a full meal,
I would only maybe add a baked potato and a buttered roll.

Most meals these days for me don't even include meat but when I
do have it, about 1/3 pound is plenty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:54:50 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/23/2019 1:13 PM, Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I found a package of lamb shoulder blade chops, each with a nice bit of
>>> meat on them, three for under $8. Took them out to thaw for tomorrow's
>>> dinner.

>> Three under $8.00 is meaningless.
>> Probably about a pound or very slightly more total for the 3.
>> Be sure to add 4 brussel sprouts (lightly oiled) to
>> complete your meal.
>> Send a pic else this a lie. Popeye told me this to watch out for.
>>

>I gather you're poking fun at my small appetite. Hey, there's plenty
>of meat on those chops for me. In fact I will probably only eat one
>chop. But hey, brussels sprouts are a fine idea! I'll make and eat a
>lot more than 4 of them (buttered). Thanks for the suggestion.
>
>https://i.postimg.cc/0yfgHzFv/lambchops.jpg
>
>If you can read the label, the suggested preparation method is
>*grilling*, despite what others have posted. At this point the weather
>is questionable but cooking outdoors is not essential.
>
>Will I post a pic of the finished chops? Only time (and my mood) will
>tell.
>
>Jill

truly, Jill, I was only saying what I do, not what you should do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2019 11:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Three under $8.00 is meaningless.
>>> Probably about a pound or very slightly more total for the 3.
>>> Be sure to add 4 brussel sprouts (lightly oiled) to
>>> complete your meal.
>>>

>> I gather you're poking fun at my small appetite. Hey, there's plenty
>> of meat on those chops for me. In fact I will probably only eat one
>> chop. But hey, brussels sprouts are a fine idea! I'll make and eat a
>> lot more than 4 of them (buttered). Thanks for the suggestion.

> Good morning, Jill. Wasn't teasing at all. 4 brussel sprouts cut
> in half then roasted would be plenty for me.

Those must be some really large brussels sprouts! I buy the small ones.

> As far as those
> chops? Plenty of meat on each one for me again. I would pan fry
> them just like a steak. Nice marbling on those. For a full meal,
> I would only maybe add a baked potato and a buttered roll.

I don't have any baking potatoes (or rolls). I've got some new potatoes
which I'll be par boiling, then place on a baking sheet, smash and
drizzled with oil, sprinkled with S&P and some dried dill then roasted
in the oven.

It just started raining so (as I suspected) cooking outdoors is out of
the question. Not that it's essential in any case. I'll likely use
my cast iron skillet on the stove top. And yes, there's plenty of meat
on those lamb chops. Not too much fat, really. I'd expect the same
amount of marbling in a good steak.

> Most meals these days for me don't even include meat but when I
> do have it, about 1/3 pound is plenty.
>I don't have to eat meat with every meal but I do like it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2019 11:41 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:54:50 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Three under $8.00 is meaningless.
>>> Probably about a pound or very slightly more total for the 3.
>>> Be sure to add 4 brussel sprouts (lightly oiled) to
>>> complete your meal.
>>> Send a pic else this a lie. Popeye told me this to watch out for.
>>>

>> I gather you're poking fun at my small appetite. Hey, there's plenty
>> of meat on those chops for me. In fact I will probably only eat one
>> chop. But hey, brussels sprouts are a fine idea! I'll make and eat a
>> lot more than 4 of them (buttered). Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/0yfgHzFv/lambchops.jpg
>>
>> If you can read the label, the suggested preparation method is
>> *grilling*, despite what others have posted. At this point the weather
>> is questionable but cooking outdoors is not essential.
>>
>> Will I post a pic of the finished chops? Only time (and my mood) will
>> tell.
>>
>> Jill

> truly, Jill, I was only saying what I do, not what you should do.

I get that, Janet! I wasn't criticizing how you would cook them nor did
I think you were telling me what to do.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-24 11:09 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/24/2019 8:49 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2019-02-24 7:48 a.m., wrote:

>>> Lamb shoulder chops are not good candidates for the BBQ.
>>>

>> I disagree. In fact, that was how I was introduced to lamb. When my
>> wife and I were just dating she cooked them for me on a hibachi. We
>> didn't have lamb in hour house because my father hated it.Â* We often
>> had BBQed shoulder chops. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than loin
>> chops. I would agree that loin chops are better, and better on the
>> grill, but there BBQed shoulder chops are quite tasty. You just have
>> to deal with the bone and the fat.

> I'd have to deal with bone and fat with certain cuts of beef steaks or
> pork chops, too.Â* I just posted a pic of the raw shoulder chops but here
> it is again:

https://i.postimg.cc/0yfgHzFv/lambchops.jpg

> If you read the label the suggested cooking method is *grilling*.
>
> It does look like it's going to rain this afternoon.Â* Fortunately,
> cooking outdoors is not a requirement.

I don't why she would day shoulder chops were not good candidates for
the BBQ. IMO that is the best way to do any lamb chops, and especially
shoulder chops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 21:31:09 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> bit of >>>> meat on them, three for under $8.* Took them out to thaw
> for tomorrow's >>>> dinner.

> it's rainy >>>> (which is likely) I'll use the grill pan on the stove
> top.* Either way >>>> I'll brush them with a bit of neutral oil, S&P
> and some minced garlic. >>>> And crushed dried rosemary and dried
> thyme.

> which was >>>> like sharp pine needles.* Finely crushed using a
> pestle and mortar and >>>> used sparingly, it's quite nice on lamb.

> things >>>> to choose from!

> chops >>> with onion, garlic and green pepper.* Add tomatoes and soy
> sauce. >>> Serve

> look >>> for lamb the next time I am at Albertsons.* Albertsons
> because they >>> cut up a whole lamb and sell all the pieces.* Other
> supermarkets on my >>> route by the pre-packaged, crovac'd stuff with
> just the top selling >>> pieces of lamb. . . chops and leg.*
> Dummies!* Some of us want the >>> other parts of a critter.
> > > >
> >> Okay, perhaps I'll braise them.* Or I could marinate them.* Looks

> like >> it's going to rain tomorrow anyway.
> > >

> > Tomorrow it should be almost warm enough use the gas BBQ on the
> > patio. The problem will be the 60 mph plus winds.
> > I am keeping my fingers crossed that I don't lose any trees.
> >

> Lamb shoulder chops are not good candidates for the BBQ.

I've never tried them that way but from the looks of them, I think you
are right. JUst not the right cut.

We pretty much settled on a sort of curry gravy base and long slow
simmer as works best for us.

Generally 2 cups brown gravy mix and 3.5 of water than 3 TB rogan Josh
and maybe some yellow curry blend of a medium or mild nature. Add a
little water to make a paste then whisk in the rest of the water and
set to a low simmer with 1.5lbs lamb shoulder. Takes about 1.5 hours
to be meat perfect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/24/2019 8:49 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2019-02-24 7:48 a.m., wrote:

> > > Lamb shoulder chops are not good candidates for the BBQ.
> > >

> > I disagree. In fact, that was how I was introduced to lamb. When my
> > wife and I were just dating she cooked them for me on a hibachi.
> > We didn't have lamb in hour house because my father hated it.Â* We
> > often had BBQed shoulder chops. They are a heck of a lot cheaper
> > than loin chops. I would agree that loin chops are better, and
> > better on the grill, but there BBQed shoulder chops are quite
> > tasty. You just have to deal with the bone and the fat.

> I'd have to deal with bone and fat with certain cuts of beef steaks
> or pork chops, too. I just posted a pic of the raw shoulder chops
> but here it is again:

https://i.postimg.cc/0yfgHzFv/lambchops.jpg

> If you read the label the suggested cooking method is grilling.
>
> It does look like it's going to rain this afternoon. Fortunately,
> cooking outdoors is not a requirement.
>
> Jill

Looks like your cuts are thicker than sold here but ours are
3.98-4.97lb (sales variation).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/24/2019 11:41 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 10:54:50 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> > > I gather you're poking fun at my small appetite. Hey, there's
> > > plenty of meat on those chops for me. In fact I will probably
> > > only eat one chop. But hey, brussels sprouts are a fine idea!
> > > I'll make and eat a lot more than 4 of them (buttered). Thanks
> > > for the suggestion.
> > >
> > > https://i.postimg.cc/0yfgHzFv/lambchops.jpg
> > >
> > > If you can read the label, the suggested preparation method is
> > > *grilling*, despite what others have posted. At this point the
> > > weather is questionable but cooking outdoors is not essential.
> > >
> > > Will I post a pic of the finished chops? Only time (and my mood)
> > > will tell.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > truly, Jill, I was only saying what I do, not what you should do.
> >

> I get that, Janet! I wasn't criticizing how you would cook them nor
> did I think you were telling me what to do.
>
> Jill

Until I saw the picture I was thinking grilling wouldn't be optimal but
the picture shows your market has a thicker cut so let me know how it
works if you try some of the other pieces that way later? THe ones
here are about 1/2 that thick (best guess from snapshot).

We get 5-6 cuts in a pack of 1.25-1.5lbs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > 4 brussel sprouts cut
> > in half then roasted would be plenty for me.

> Those must be some really large brussels sprouts! I buy the small ones.

Even 4 small ones would be enough for a side (for me)

> I don't have any baking potatoes (or rolls). I've got some new potatoes
> which I'll be par boiling, then place on a baking sheet, smash and
> drizzled with oil, sprinkled with S&P and some dried dill then roasted
> in the oven.

I almost exclusively use red potatoes and I look for the smaller
in a bag. They suit me fine for all different potato uses.
Especially baked. To me, russett potatoes are always a far 2nd
choice.