Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oven with only top heating element?

My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but I
looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I can't
remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.

I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was for
baking.

What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so likely
didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
that ovens like this often do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2019 5:19 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her
> but I looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this
> way.

Quite common fer cheap-o "renter" ovens. My landlord was good ppl, but
he was infinitely cheap.

I think I had one back when I lived in the SFBA. Never much of a "cake
eater", I never made any cakes. Not even box cakes.

BUT, I usta make a lotta frozen pizzas. Worked fine.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-19 8:39 a.m., notbob wrote:
> On 2/19/2019 5:19 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her
>> but I looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way.

> Quite common fer cheap-o "renter" ovens.Â* My landlord was good ppl, but
> he was infinitely cheap.
>
> I think I had one back when I lived in the SFBA.Â* Never much of a "cake
> eater", I never made any cakes.Â* Not even box cakes.
>
> BUT, I usta make a lotta frozen pizzas.Â* Worked fine.Â*

It may not be just about being cheap. Tenants abuse appliances. My
friend was helping his daughter prepare her house for sale. She had been
renting it out for a few months. It was a nice place and had a modern
kitchen with a glass top stove. The tenants managed to break the stove top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> It may not be just about being cheap. Tenants abuse appliances. My
> friend was helping his daughter prepare her house for sale. She had been
> renting it out for a few months. It was a nice place and had a modern
> kitchen with a glass top stove. The tenants managed to break the stove top.

I've repainted rental for years and years and I agree. While you
occasionally get a place where the tenants took good care of the
place, that's pretty rare. I've seen rentals somewhat destroyed
in only one year. There are quite a few human PIGS that rent
houses and apartments.

Smart landlords make a place look nice and provide the basics for
a new renter but never buy expensive carpet or appliances.

I've done units that got brand new carpet, then one year later
they move out and leave the most nasty and ruined carpet you ever
saw. Dark spots from overwatered plants, cat and dog urine
smells, fleas trying to take you down just walking in there for a
few minutes, on and on.

Ask Sheldon. He had renters for years. He's probably seen it all.
He knows the deal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 2:20:04 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but I
> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I can't
> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>
> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was for
> baking.
>
> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so likely
> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
> that ovens like this often do.

The bottom element might be under the floor of the oven. That's how my oven is made. This allows one to cook a pizza directly on the floor. You can't do that with an element on the floor oven. My guess is that most ovens are made with a hidden heating element these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 10:17:09 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 2:20:04 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but I
>> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I can't
>> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
>> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>>
>> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was for
>> baking.
>>
>> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so likely
>> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
>> that ovens like this often do.

>The bottom element might be under the floor of the oven. That's how my oven is made. This allows one to cook a pizza directly on the floor. You can't do that with an element on the floor oven. My guess is that most ovens are made with a hidden heating element these days.

My oven also has the bottom element under the floor. And it is a
convection oven (it has a fan). No, you can't cook anything directly
on the floor. I suspect they are made that way nowadays because if the
bottom element is buried, it is less likely to burn out.

Easier to clean the bottom of the oven, too. Mine has a "steam clean"
setting where you pour a cup of water directly onto the bottom of the
oven, and the heat/steam loosens any burnt-on bits of stuff down
there.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 2:20:04 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but
> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I
> can't
> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>
> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was
> for
> baking.
>
> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so
> likely
> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
> that ovens like this often do.

The bottom element might be under the floor of the oven. That's how my oven
is made. This allows one to cook a pizza directly on the floor. You can't do
that with an element on the floor oven. My guess is that most ovens are made
with a hidden heating element these days.

---

Ahhh... Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2019 3:19 PM, wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 dsi1 > wrote:
>> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but I
>>> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I can't
>>> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
>>> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>>>
>>> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was for
>>> baking.
>>>
>>> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so likely
>>> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
>>> that ovens like this often do.

>> The bottom element might be under the floor of the oven. That's how my oven is made. This allows one to cook a pizza directly on the floor. You can't do that with an element on the floor oven. My guess is that most ovens are made with a hidden heating element these days.

> My stove has no elements. When I press the button for Roast the gas
> flames ignite under the oven floor. The broil flames are at the top
> of the oven... to this day I've only hit broil once to see if it
> lights. I don't do broil, it filthies the oven.
> It's not possible to bake anything with the heat above the food.
> There's no thermostat for broiling, one lowers the heat by lowering
> the food.

Sheldon, no one was talking about a gas oven. If an oven has a what is
called a "heating element", chances are it's an electric oven. What you
have are called burners, even inside the oven.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> I've done units that got brand new carpet, then one year later
> they move out and leave the most nasty and ruined carpet you ever
> saw. Dark spots from overwatered plants, cat and dog urine
> smells, fleas trying to take you down just walking in there for a
> few minutes, on and on.

I inherited my parent's home in 1987. For ten years, a old couple with
active, knowledgeable children living in town lived there until they
couldn't. The home was well kept.
Then a friend's brother in law rented it for seven years. He worked at
the hospital. He asked if he could paint the interior. I said sure. He
painted the inside of the house with hospital enamel green except for
the master bedroom. He painted that enamel fire engine red.
He smoked like a chimney, and there were amber tear stains on the
enameled walls and cigarette butts everywhere on the outside property.
He started at least one fire under the sink in the garbage can.
I was a absentee landlord. Rent was always paid on time, and the only
times I ever entered the house was when each tenant left. There was a
world of difference between them.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 5:20:04 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but I
> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I can't
> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>
> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was for
> baking.
>
> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so likely
> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
> that ovens like this often do.

Read this Julie...it will explain it all.

https://www.thespruce.com/hidden-or-...ements-1908606

====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/19/2019 3:19 PM, wrote:

>>> The bottom element might be under the floor of the oven. That's how
>>> my oven is made. This allows one to cook a pizza directly on the
>>> floor. You can't do that with an element on the floor oven. My guess
>>> is that most ovens are made with a hidden heating element these days.

>> My stove has no elements. When I press the button for Roast the gas
>> flames ignite under the oven floor. The broil flames are at the top
>> of the oven... to this day I've only hit broil once to see if it
>> lights. I don't do broil, it filthies the oven.
>> It's not possible to bake anything with the heat above the food.
>> There's no thermostat for broiling, one lowers the heat by lowering
>> the food.
>>

> Sheldon, no one was talking about a gas oven. If an oven has a what is
> called a "heating element", chances are it's an electric oven. What you
> have are called burners, even inside the oven.
>
> Jill

If yoose don't have exactly the model Popeye uses, yoose is a dummy

Yoose should know that by now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 dsi1 > wrote:
>> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but I
>>> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I can't
>>> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
>>> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>>>
>>> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was for
>>> baking.
>>>
>>> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so likely
>>> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
>>> that ovens like this often do.

>> The bottom element might be under the floor of the oven. That's how my oven is made. This allows one to cook a pizza directly on the floor. You can't do that with an element on the floor oven. My guess is that most ovens are made with a hidden heating element these days.

> My stove has no elements. When I press the button for Roast the gas
> flames ignite under the oven floor. The broil flames are at the top
> of the oven... to this day I've only hit broil once to see if it
> lights. I don't do broil, it filthies the oven.
> It's not possible to bake anything with the heat above the food.
> There's no thermostat for broiling, one lowers the heat by lowering
> the food.

No pics!

Popeye, yoose a *LIAR* and a *FAGGOT*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2019 4:27 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 5:20:04 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but I
>> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I can't
>> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
>> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>>
>> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was for
>> baking.
>>
>> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so likely
>> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
>> that ovens like this often do.

> Read this Julie...it will explain it all.
>
> https://www.thespruce.com/hidden-or-...ements-1908606
>
> ====

Thanks for the link, Roy! This gives me pause:

"Replacing the element will also be much more difficult and will not
likely be your usual DIY change-out. It more than likely will require an
appliance technician to complete the repair or replacement, and that
will cost you for parts plus labor. You'll also want a technician who
services your particular brand of stove because they will be better
prepared to deal with any brand specific workarounds."

I am fully capable of replacing the electric elements (broiler below) in
my oven. I wouldn't want to have to pay for a technician to do a simple
element replacement.

Jill
Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:20:04 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but I
> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I can't
> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>
> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was for
> baking.
>
> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so likely
> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
> that ovens like this often do.

An oven with only a top electric or gas heating element is commonly called a broiler. I've had many ovens with a broiler in a bottom oven door.

My mother had a very nice double oven and the top oven had electric heating elements on top AND bottom!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 14:39:57 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:20:04 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but I
>> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I can't
>> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
>> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>>
>> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was for
>> baking.
>>
>> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so likely
>> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
>> that ovens like this often do.

>An oven with only a top electric or gas heating element is commonly called a broiler. I've had many ovens with a broiler in a bottom oven door.

If your oven door's at the bottom, you've got your oven the wrong way
around! You must be making a huge mess!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2019 9:30 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> It may not be just about being cheap. Tenants abuse appliances. My
> friend was helping his daughter prepare her house for sale. She had been
> renting it out for a few months. It was a nice place and had a modern
> kitchen with a glass top stove. The tenants managed to break the stove top.

I get what you're saying. Some tenants don't care. OTOH, I sure as
heck wouldn't rent a place with a glass top stove. I use heavy pots on
the stove. I would not be comfortable with that in a rental.

Another key thing for both renters and landlords: take pictures of
everything, at the time you do the initial walk-through and check off
everything is working when you sign the lease, to a checklist right
before you leave. Take pictures. You never know when you might need them.

Who knows? Some raggedy relative of the owner might have needed a place
to crash for a few weeks, free of charge before the next tenant. They
might have invited a few friends and had a party. Trashed the place.
The onus could be on the previous renter. That's why I say take
before/after pics.

It never hurts to be too careful. I, for one, would *never* want to own
a rental property.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-19 6:08 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/19/2019 9:30 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Who knows?Â* Some raggedy relative of the owner might have needed a place
> to crash for a few weeks, free of charge before the next tenant.Â* They
> might have invited a few friends and had a party.Â* Trashed the place.
> The onus could be on the previous renter.Â* That's why I say take
> before/after pics.
>
> It never hurts to be too careful.Â* I, for one, would *never* want to own
> a rental property.

Our former neighbours had rented out their old house to students and it
was nothing but a pain in the ass for them. There was all sorts of
ridiculous damage and the wasted a lot of energy. He would go there
during the day to do repairs and every light in the house would be on.
They managed to break windows and screens on a regular basis. I have
lived in my house for 40 years. I had to replace glass in a storm door
when my son did something dumb and I had to replace one piece of glass
in a French door.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 5:05:23 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 14:39:57 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:20:04 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> >> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her but I
> >> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I can't
> >> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
> >> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
> >>
> >> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was for
> >> baking.
> >>
> >> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so likely
> >> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
> >> that ovens like this often do.

> >An oven with only a top electric or gas heating element is commonly called a broiler. I've had many ovens with a broiler in a bottom oven door.

> If your oven door's at the bottom, you've got your oven the wrong way
> around! You must be making a huge mess!

I'm talking about the heating element INSIDE the oven. I have no idea what you're talking about the oven door.

John Kuthe....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2019 6:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/19/2019 9:30 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> It may not be just about being cheap. Tenants abuse appliances. My
>> friend was helping his daughter prepare her house for sale. She had
>> been renting it out for a few months. It was a nice place and had a
>> modern kitchen with a glass top stove. The tenants managed to break
>> the stove top.
>>

> I get what you're saying.Â* Some tenants don't care.Â* OTOH, I sure as
> heck wouldn't rent a place with a glass top stove.Â* I use heavy pots on
> the stove.Â* I would not be comfortable with that in a rental.
>
> Another key thing for both renters and landlords: take pictures of
> everything, at the time you do the initial walk-through and check off
> everything is working when you sign the lease, to a checklist right
> before you leave.Â* Take pictures.Â* You never know when you might need them.
>
> Who knows?Â* Some raggedy relative of the owner might have needed a place
> to crash for a few weeks, free of charge before the next tenant.Â* They
> might have invited a few friends and had a party.Â* Trashed the place.
> The onus could be on the previous renter.Â* That's why I say take
> before/after pics.
>
> It never hurts to be too careful.Â* I, for one, would *never* want to own
> a rental property.
>
> Jill

I thought about it a couple of times, but came to my senses. With the
right tenant you can make a few bucks and long term have nice
appreciation. One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains. I'm not ready
for the pain of it all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 10:11:23 AM UTC-10, Doris Night wrote:

> My oven also has the bottom element under the floor. And it is a
> convection oven (it has a fan). No, you can't cook anything directly
> on the floor. I suspect they are made that way nowadays because if the
> bottom element is buried, it is less likely to burn out.
>
> Easier to clean the bottom of the oven, too. Mine has a "steam clean"
> setting where you pour a cup of water directly onto the bottom of the
> oven, and the heat/steam loosens any burnt-on bits of stuff down
> there.
>
> Doris

You're probably right that you are not supposed to lay pans directly on the floor. OTOH, I do that to cook pizzas on the oven floor and it works pretty good. There's a convection feature on my oven too although I haven't found it to be useful i.e., I'm not a fan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:47:47 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/19/2019 6:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 2/19/2019 9:30 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> >> It may not be just about being cheap. Tenants abuse appliances. My
> >> friend was helping his daughter prepare her house for sale. She had
> >> been renting it out for a few months. It was a nice place and had a
> >> modern kitchen with a glass top stove. The tenants managed to break
> >> the stove top.
> >>

> > I get what you're saying.Â* Some tenants don't care.Â* OTOH, I sure as
> > heck wouldn't rent a place with a glass top stove.Â* I use heavy pots on
> > the stove.Â* I would not be comfortable with that in a rental.
> >
> > Another key thing for both renters and landlords: take pictures of
> > everything, at the time you do the initial walk-through and check off
> > everything is working when you sign the lease, to a checklist right
> > before you leave.Â* Take pictures.Â* You never know when you might need them.
> >
> > Who knows?Â* Some raggedy relative of the owner might have needed a place
> > to crash for a few weeks, free of charge before the next tenant.Â* They
> > might have invited a few friends and had a party.Â* Trashed the place.
> > The onus could be on the previous renter.Â* That's why I say take
> > before/after pics.
> >
> > It never hurts to be too careful.Â* I, for one, would *never* want to own
> > a rental property.
> >
> > Jill

> I thought about it a couple of times, but came to my senses. With the
> right tenant you can make a few bucks and long term have nice
> appreciation. One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains. I'm not ready
> for the pain of it all.

I've lived with different people from all over the world for the past 30 years, and while yes we've had several wing nuts no one ever patently damaging to persons or property. What kind of "One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains" are you fearing?

John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:47:47 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>>

>>> I get what you're saying. Some tenants don't care. OTOH, I sure as
>>> heck wouldn't rent a place with a glass top stove. I use heavy pots on
>>> the stove. I would not be comfortable with that in a rental.
>>>
>>> Another key thing for both renters and landlords: take pictures of
>>> everything, at the time you do the initial walk-through and check off
>>> everything is working when you sign the lease, to a checklist right
>>> before you leave. Take pictures. You never know when you might need them.
>>>
>>> Who knows? Some raggedy relative of the owner might have needed a place
>>> to crash for a few weeks, free of charge before the next tenant. They
>>> might have invited a few friends and had a party. Trashed the place.
>>> The onus could be on the previous renter. That's why I say take
>>> before/after pics.
>>>
>>> It never hurts to be too careful. I, for one, would *never* want to own
>>> a rental property.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I thought about it a couple of times, but came to my senses. With the
>> right tenant you can make a few bucks and long term have nice
>> appreciation. One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains. I'm not ready
>> for the pain of it all.

> I've lived with different people from all over the world for the past 30 years, and while yes we've had several wing nuts no one ever patently damaging to persons or property. What kind of "One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains" are you fearing?
>
> John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse!

He's probably not factoring in all the glory of the international
students, and "lady loves" yoose gets off on.

He's sane, so he's just considering a normal landlord/tenant situation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2019 8:22 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:47:47 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>>

>>> I get what you're saying.Â* Some tenants don't care.Â* OTOH, I sure as
>>> heck wouldn't rent a place with a glass top stove.Â* I use heavy pots on
>>> the stove.Â* I would not be comfortable with that in a rental.
>>>
>>> Another key thing for both renters and landlords: take pictures of
>>> everything, at the time you do the initial walk-through and check off
>>> everything is working when you sign the lease, to a checklist right
>>> before you leave.Â* Take pictures.Â* You never know when you might need them.
>>>
>>> Who knows?Â* Some raggedy relative of the owner might have needed a place
>>> to crash for a few weeks, free of charge before the next tenant.Â* They
>>> might have invited a few friends and had a party.Â* Trashed the place.
>>> The onus could be on the previous renter.Â* That's why I say take
>>> before/after pics.
>>>
>>> It never hurts to be too careful.Â* I, for one, would *never* want to own
>>> a rental property.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I thought about it a couple of times, but came to my senses. With the
>> right tenant you can make a few bucks and long term have nice
>> appreciation. One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains. I'm not ready
>> for the pain of it all.

> I've lived with different people from all over the world for the past 30 years, and while yes we've had several wing nuts no one ever patently damaging to persons or property. What kind of "One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains" are you fearing?
>
> John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse!

I know people that own rental properties. They do check out the
tenants, but still have horror stories. No rent paid and it takes many
months to evict them, stolen appliances, damaged appliances, walls,
carpets, flooring.

They also have some excellent tenants, but not all of them are.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 8:51:37 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/19/2019 8:22 PM, John Kuthe wrote:

> >> I thought about it a couple of times, but came to my senses. With the
> >> right tenant you can make a few bucks and long term have nice
> >> appreciation. One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains. I'm not ready
> >> for the pain of it all.

> > I've lived with different people from all over the world for the past 30 years, and while yes we've had several wing nuts no one ever patently damaging to persons or property. What kind of "One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains" are you fearing?
> >
> > John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse!
> >

> I know people that own rental properties. They do check out the
> tenants, but still have horror stories. No rent paid and it takes many
> months to evict them, stolen appliances, damaged appliances, walls,
> carpets, flooring.
>
> They also have some excellent tenants, but not all of them are.

Fear! Fear is your only enemy!

I rent primarily to STUDENTS! Students generally have ONE THING the most important to them: their schooling! They pay their rent, I rent primarily to graduate students too!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 19:32:49 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 8:51:37 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 2/19/2019 8:22 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> >
>> > I've lived with different people from all over the world for the past 30 years, and while yes we've had several wing nuts no one ever patently damaging to persons or property. What kind of "One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains" are you fearing?
>> >
>> > John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse!
>> >

>> I know people that own rental properties. They do check out the
>> tenants, but still have horror stories. No rent paid and it takes many
>> months to evict them, stolen appliances, damaged appliances, walls,
>> carpets, flooring.
>>
>> They also have some excellent tenants, but not all of them are.

>Fear! Fear is your only enemy!
>
>I rent primarily to STUDENTS! Students generally have ONE THING the most important to them: their schooling!

When I was a student, one thing was very unimportant to me: my
schooling!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 4:51:37 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I know people that own rental properties. They do check out the
> tenants, but still have horror stories. No rent paid and it takes many
> months to evict them, stolen appliances, damaged appliances, walls,
> carpets, flooring.
>
> They also have some excellent tenants, but not all of them are.

I have heard of some nasty stories. The weird French guys that rented the house next to my dad would be one. They wallpapered over the medicine cabinet and cut holes in the wall. Why would they do that? who knows. My little brother would go over there and the whole family would be naked. Ha ha shocking! I have been to homes where people would cut holes in the wall so my guess is that property damage is not uncommon. When we sold my mother-in-laws place it was being used as a rental property. The tenants didn't damage the place but the place still needed to have new carpeting and paint. That's just the cost of doing business.

When we rented a place in Honolulu, we laid new linoleum in the kitchen, put in a newer refrigerator, carpeted the living room, and painted the joint. As it goes, we then decided to move to California. I took the landlord through the place for the final inspection and we just went down the hall, turned around, and walked out again. We didn't stop and it must have been the quickest inspection in the history of inspection. He had the biggest smile on his face. That's kids for you - they do the goofiest things.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 10:17:09 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 2:20:04 AM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her
>>> but I
>>> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I
>>> can't
>>> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
>>> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>>>
>>> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was
>>> for
>>> baking.
>>>
>>> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so
>>> likely
>>> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
>>> that ovens like this often do.

>>The bottom element might be under the floor of the oven. That's how my
>>oven is made. This allows one to cook a pizza directly on the floor. You
>>can't do that with an element on the floor oven. My guess is that most
>>ovens are made with a hidden heating element these days.

> My oven also has the bottom element under the floor. And it is a
> convection oven (it has a fan). No, you can't cook anything directly
> on the floor. I suspect they are made that way nowadays because if the
> bottom element is buried, it is less likely to burn out.
>
> Easier to clean the bottom of the oven, too. Mine has a "steam clean"
> setting where you pour a cup of water directly onto the bottom of the
> oven, and the heat/steam loosens any burnt-on bits of stuff down
> there.

Hmmm... She did mention a steam clean but said it doesn't work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 5:20:04 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> My friend told me that her new oven is like this. I didn't believe her
>> but I
>> looked it up and it seems a lot of newer ovens are indeed this way. I
>> can't
>> remember her complaint about it but in looking it up, it seems they are
>> lousy for baking cakes and pizzas.
>>
>> I always thought the top element was for broiling and the bottom one was
>> for
>> baking.
>>
>> What good is an oven like this? My friend doesn't really cook much so
>> likely
>> didn't notice the element when she bought it. Hers has no fan but I read
>> that ovens like this often do.

> Read this Julie...it will explain it all.
>
> https://www.thespruce.com/hidden-or-...ements-1908606
>
> ====

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 2/19/2019 6:08 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/19/2019 9:30 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> It may not be just about being cheap. Tenants abuse appliances. My
>>> friend was helping his daughter prepare her house for sale. She had been
>>> renting it out for a few months. It was a nice place and had a modern
>>> kitchen with a glass top stove. The tenants managed to break the stove
>>> top.
>>>

>> I get what you're saying. Some tenants don't care. OTOH, I sure as heck
>> wouldn't rent a place with a glass top stove. I use heavy pots on the
>> stove. I would not be comfortable with that in a rental.
>>
>> Another key thing for both renters and landlords: take pictures of
>> everything, at the time you do the initial walk-through and check off
>> everything is working when you sign the lease, to a checklist right
>> before you leave. Take pictures. You never know when you might need them.
>>
>> Who knows? Some raggedy relative of the owner might have needed a place
>> to crash for a few weeks, free of charge before the next tenant. They
>> might have invited a few friends and had a party. Trashed the place. The
>> onus could be on the previous renter. That's why I say take before/after
>> pics.
>>
>> It never hurts to be too careful. I, for one, would *never* want to own a
>> rental property.
>>
>> Jill

> I thought about it a couple of times, but came to my senses. With the
> right tenant you can make a few bucks and long term have nice
> appreciation. One bad tenant can wipe out all the gains. I'm not ready
> for the pain of it all.

Yep. My parents rented out their house in Wichita when we moved here. They
were supposed to be renting to own. But no rent was ever paid because each
month, they found something they claimed needed to be fixed. I don't
personally think they did any damage but my parents were furious that they
ripped out a Chinese mural in the living room. I think it was akin to
wallpaper. I thought it was hideous. Whatever they painted the wall with had
to have looked better. My parents had an odd sense of taste. They would
decorate a room a certain way but then there would be one odd thing that was
totally garish and didn't fit the rest of the room. In that room it was the
mural.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 21:51:30 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> I know people that own rental properties. They do check out the
> tenants, but still have horror stories. No rent paid and it takes many
> months to evict them, stolen appliances, damaged appliances, walls,
> carpets, flooring.

Secretly moving out and leaving a cat locked inside. Luckily, a
neighbor noticed before the poor creature died, but improvised litter
boxes meant that a lot of stuff had to be replaced.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 5:17:16 PM UTC-7, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 5:05:23 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 14:39:57 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > > wrote:

> > >An oven with only a top electric or gas heating element is commonly called a broiler. I've had many ovens with a broiler in a bottom oven door.

> > If your oven door's at the bottom, you've got your oven the wrong way
> > around! You must be making a huge mess!

> I'm talking about the heating element INSIDE the oven. I have no idea what you're talking about the oven door.
>
> John Kuthe....

Neither does he so don't worry about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-20, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:c>>> for the pain of it all.

> "stolen appliances.....".

Hadda buddy sue the "former renters" fer stealing everything not "not nailed
down". That included stove, refrig, dishwasher, furniture. etc (nice apt).

"Renters" jes stole it all! Fight that in court.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 1:03:29 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-02-20, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:c>>> for the pain of it all.
>
> > "stolen appliances.....".

> Hadda buddy sue the "former renters" fer stealing everything not "not nailed
> down". That included stove, refrig, dishwasher, furniture. etc (nice apt).
>
> "Renters" jes stole it all! Fight that in court.
>
> nb

Well, that's what's kinda nice about being a RESIDENT HOME OWNER! I think I'd NOTICE!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 19:46:32 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe wrote:

> Well, that's what's kinda nice about being a RESIDENT HOME OWNER!

I think I'd NOTICE!

BUT even IF you DID notice IT, what GOOD would It DO you? THE renters HAVE
made OFF with YOUR appliances. COMMON law JURISPRUDENCE states THAT
anything NOT nailed DOWN is CONSIDERED property OF the RENTERS. You NEED to
SPECIFICALLY put IT in THE rental AGREEMENT, otherwise THE onus IS on YOU
to prove IT. AND even IF you HAVE the ORIGINAL purchase RECEIPTS, you STILL
need to GO to COURT to GET your STUFF back (FROM a FOREIGN national IF we
ARE to BELIEVE all YOUR posts) WHO has PROBABLY already SOLD it ON
Craigslist.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2019 10:46 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 1:03:29 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
>> On 2019-02-20, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:c>>> for the pain of it all.
>>
>>> "stolen appliances.....".

>> Hadda buddy sue the "former renters" fer stealing everything not "not nailed
>> down". That included stove, refrig, dishwasher, furniture. etc (nice apt).
>>
>> "Renters" jes stole it all! Fight that in court.
>>
>> nb

> Well, that's what's kinda nice about being a RESIDENT HOME OWNER! I think I'd NOTICE!
>
> John Kuthe...

I watched Live PD tonight. In Nye County NV they had a call from a
rental owner. Tenants were just evicted and the house was trashed. Cut
sewer line, power line, water line, doors off hinges, trash everywhere.
Looked like the damage was more than the value of the house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 22, 2019 at 11:35:42 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I watched Live PD tonight. In Nye County NV they had a call from a
> rental owner. Tenants were just evicted and the house was trashed. Cut
> sewer line, power line, water line, doors off hinges, trash everywhere.
> Looked like the damage was more than the value of the house.

I saw that! That damage was not done in one day or even one week and all that
filthy garbage everywhere!!