Old 13-02-2019, 08:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT: Well I finally RAN OUT OF CHARGE!

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 3:47:14 AM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 4:47:56 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 4:29:59 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 7:55:25 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 3:33:46 PM UTC-10, John Kuthe wrote:

Do the math! n-miles/0 gallons=Infinite MPG!

John Kuthe...

You can't do that math. Nobody can. Nobody's dividing nothing by zero. That would be unthinkable.

Nope. It's called mathematically undefined. But in the limit!

My son's fiance wants to get rid of her Leaf. It's just too much hassle charging that thing. I'd take it off her hand but I don't have any way to charge it either. That's the breaks.

Too much trouble? I just either back or pull in forward to the charging port, park, pop open the charge port, and plug in! My Leaf's out back plugged in right now!

John Kuthe...

Lots of people believe that they can divide by zero. My guess is that it's the most common mistake in the history of mankind. The number of computer programs that have failed to run because it tried to divide by zero must be epic. That's the breaks.

I have degrees in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Nursing. And I know a LOT about math!! by zero is UNDEFINED in math, as I said. But we like in differential calculus look at the way a fraction behaves when the denominator gets smaller and smaller. What happens to the fraction? It gets larger and larger! And based on ALL the parameters of a physical situation such as calculating MPG we see that as the denominator of gallons of gasoline gets smaller and smaller the RATIO we call MPG GOES TO INFINITY!!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse!

All the degrees, obfuscation, and rationalizations in the world won't change the fact that you cannot divide by zero. That's the breaks.

Old 13-02-2019, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:08:09 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

All the degrees, obfuscation, and rationalizations in the world won't change the fact that you cannot divide by zero. That's the breaks.

You're not wrong, but as the denominator gets really close to
zero, the result is generally "close enough for engineering".

Which is why calculus is so valuable. My company used to make
a supercomputer that did nothing but solve differential equations.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-02-2019, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 9:34:22 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:08:09 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

All the degrees, obfuscation, and rationalizations in the world won't change the fact that you cannot divide by zero. That's the breaks.

You're not wrong, but as the denominator gets really close to
zero, the result is generally "close enough for engineering".

Which is why calculus is so valuable. My company used to make
a supercomputer that did nothing but solve differential equations.

Cindy Hamilton

Well that's rfc for you. Everything is negotiable - even dividing by zero.
Old 13-02-2019, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 1:34:22 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:08:09 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

All the degrees, obfuscation, and rationalizations in the world won't change the fact that you cannot divide by zero. That's the breaks.

You're not wrong, but as the denominator gets really close to
zero, the result is generally "close enough for engineering".

Which is why calculus is so valuable. My company used to make
a supercomputer that did nothing but solve differential equations.

Cindy Hamilton

Convolute it with the Dirac Delta Function! Take the First Integral!! Maybe more!!

Or is your Stupid Computer not BE PROGRAMMED TO SOLVE THAT!! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Old 13-02-2019, 09:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:14:28 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 9:34:22 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:08:09 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

All the degrees, obfuscation, and rationalizations in the world won't change the fact that you cannot divide by zero. That's the breaks.

You're not wrong, but as the denominator gets really close to
zero, the result is generally "close enough for engineering".

Which is why calculus is so valuable. My company used to make
a supercomputer that did nothing but solve differential equations.

Cindy Hamilton

Well that's rfc for you. Everything is negotiable - even dividing by zero.

No, div by 0 = undefined.

Varies with the convoluted function, defined by boundary conditions of the specific function convoluted!

I REMEMBER MY MATH!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis NURSE!

Old 13-02-2019, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 3:20:50 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 1:34:22 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:08:09 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

All the degrees, obfuscation, and rationalizations in the world won't change the fact that you cannot divide by zero. That's the breaks.

You're not wrong, but as the denominator gets really close to
zero, the result is generally "close enough for engineering".

Which is why calculus is so valuable. My company used to make
a supercomputer that did nothing but solve differential equations.

Cindy Hamilton

Convolute it with the Dirac Delta Function! Take the First Integral!! Maybe more!!

Or is your Stupid Computer not BE PROGRAMMED TO SOLVE THAT!! ;-)

We sold those "stupid" computers for half a million dollars apiece
in the 1980s. The engineers who used them were responsible for
programming.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-02-2019, 10:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
[...]

But yoose don't remember to take yoose pills.

Old 13-02-2019, 10:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:41:00 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

In FORTRAN, in ALL CAPS! So we are STUCK with that stinkin' CAPS LOCK on every keyboard I've seen since! Because FORTRAN had to be programmed in in ALL CAPS!!

I always pry it off any new keyboard I get! And throw it away too!

John Kuthe...
Old 13-02-2019, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 4:27:44 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
[...]

Not in Fortran. In a proprietary language optimized for solving
differential equations.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-02-2019, 10:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 13:27:41 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
wrote:

[...]

I just don't press it.

Old 13-02-2019, 10:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

That works for yoose, but he's nuckin futz.

Old 13-02-2019, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Sometimes my fingers stray where they don't belong. Rather than
mutilate my keyboard, I've installed an application that remaps
keys. I've remapped Caps Lock to Shift.

It's hellish when I use someone else's keyboard, though.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 13-02-2019, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
[...]

oh the irony ... you type more words in all caps than all the rest
of r.f.c combined

btw caps lock is a legacy from typewriters, long before fortran

Old 13-02-2019, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
writes:
[...]

But, he *BURNS ZERO GASOLINE!*

Old 13-02-2019, 11:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I always pry it off any new keyboard I get! And throw it away too!

Sometimes my fingers stray where they don't belong. Rather than
mutilate my keyboard, I've installed an application that remaps
keys. I've remapped Caps Lock to Shift.

It's hellish when I use someone else's keyboard, though.

Cindy Hamilton

I just program my keyboard to beep when the caps lock has been mistakenly
locked on. It also beeps when I've unlocked it; easy peasy.