FoodBanter.com

-   -   We have one less resident now. (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/445859-re-we-have-one.html)

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 13-02-2019 05:47 PM

On 2/13/2019 10:46 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:32:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 10:05:45 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I know what you mean, more or less. I wouldn't want to risk our pets
>>> outliving us. My wife's younger than me, though. Besides, you might
>>> live until a 100 :)
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Yeah and I might not:))) Before we got our Poppy I'd had serious thought
>>> about getting another dog. Then I saw this poor skinny dog on the Dogs
>>> Trust website!!
>>>
>>> She had no hair on her back and looked really scared. That did it!!

>> I think we'll do that too at some point. All these poor animals in
>> shelters. Even if they only have one year to go, we could still give
>> them that. I'd hate all kinds of medical problems, though. I knew a
>> guy who had to inject his cat for diabetes. Well, he didn't...
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Oh dear. We have to inject Poppy once a month for her skin condition
>> (Dermatitis). Well, D. does it. He knew how to do it from his time in the
>> military.
>>
>> I get heartbroken when I see all those lost wee souls. If only I was
>> younger and a millionaire eh?

> Yes, we'd clearly better stay away from animal shelters. I wish people
> wouldn't go to breeders while the shelters are full.

Mostly ignorance and vanity. There are those that don't want some mutt,
but a pure bread dog that looks cute, no matter how poor a fit it may be.

When the Disney 101 Dalmation move came out many people wanted one but
did not know the characteristics of the breed until too late.

[email protected] 13-02-2019 05:52 PM

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:47:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/13/2019 10:46 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:32:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Bruce" wrote in message ...

>>> I think we'll do that too at some point. All these poor animals in
>>> shelters. Even if they only have one year to go, we could still give
>>> them that. I'd hate all kinds of medical problems, though. I knew a
>>> guy who had to inject his cat for diabetes. Well, he didn't...
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Oh dear. We have to inject Poppy once a month for her skin condition
>>> (Dermatitis). Well, D. does it. He knew how to do it from his time in the
>>> military.
>>>
>>> I get heartbroken when I see all those lost wee souls. If only I was
>>> younger and a millionaire eh?

>> Yes, we'd clearly better stay away from animal shelters. I wish people
>> wouldn't go to breeders while the shelters are full.
>>

>Mostly ignorance and vanity. There are those that don't want some mutt,
>but a pure bread dog that looks cute, no matter how poor a fit it may be.
>
>When the Disney 101 Dalmation move came out many people wanted one but
>did not know the characteristics of the breed until too late.

I remember that, the Dalmatian breeders really hated the movie. People
complain about yappy dogs, but those dogs are generally the breeds
known as Watch Dogs and that is their purpose, to warn.

Bruce[_28_] 13-02-2019 06:07 PM

We have one less resident now.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:47:36 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/13/2019 10:46 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:32:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Bruce" wrote in message ...

>>> I think we'll do that too at some point. All these poor animals in
>>> shelters. Even if they only have one year to go, we could still give
>>> them that. I'd hate all kinds of medical problems, though. I knew a
>>> guy who had to inject his cat for diabetes. Well, he didn't...
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Oh dear. We have to inject Poppy once a month for her skin condition
>>> (Dermatitis). Well, D. does it. He knew how to do it from his time in the
>>> military.
>>>
>>> I get heartbroken when I see all those lost wee souls. If only I was
>>> younger and a millionaire eh?

>> Yes, we'd clearly better stay away from animal shelters. I wish people
>> wouldn't go to breeders while the shelters are full.
>>

>Mostly ignorance and vanity. There are those that don't want some mutt,
>but a pure bread dog that looks cute, no matter how poor a fit it may be.
>
>When the Disney 101 Dalmation move came out many people wanted one but
>did not know the characteristics of the breed until too late.

Yes, and people also often don't realise the commitment that it is.

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-02-2019 06:30 PM

On 2019-02-13 11:47 a.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Yes, we'd clearly better stay away from animal shelters. I wish people
>> wouldn't go to breeders while the shelters are full.
>>

> Mostly ignorance and vanity.Â* There are those that don't want some mutt,
> but a pure bread dog that looks cute, no matter how poor a fit it may be.

There are some great dogs at shelters. There are also a lot of losers. I
have a friend who rescued a dog from Mexico. It is a sweet enough dog,
but she is very skittish. When he takes her to the dog park he has to
wait until she has had enough exercise and will return to him to be
leashed. No one else can approach the dog. She got away from him a few
times and it took a week or more to get her back. Over the Christmas
holidays he took the dog with him to a family event in Toronto. She got
away from him and bolted. As far as I know, she is still missing.

Another friend from the dog park rescued a similarly skittish dog who
once slipped out through the gate while someone else was coming in and
bolted. It took a couple people two hours to catch her. The poor guy
can't leave her alone in his apartment. She has such serious separation
anxiety that she tears the place apart, including chewing holes in the
wall.

I have been lucky with rescues. I had a German Shepherd/Bouvier that
was a complete idiot when we got him but he turned into a nice dog. Then
we had a Groenendahl that was one of the best dogs I ever had. While we
still had him we got a Malinois who was a real handful, but he turned
into a nice dog. He is now on his last legs and last spring we adopted a
mini Golden Doodle who is quite a character.

My son has a bit of an issue with the term "rescue". He considers it to
be a buying a dog cheap. I have an issue that I raise with the town
every year. I don't mind registering my dog but think it should be a one
time thing so they know who is responsible for the dog. I resent having
to pay an annual fee which is then used to pay for enforcement and to
support the local shelter. There are very few local dogs in the shelter.
Most of them are imported from shelters in the US. There are about 5
times more cats than dogs in the shelter, and cats are not licenses. As
a dog owner I am forced to support cats and imported dogs.

> When the Disney 101 Dalmation move came out many people wanted one but
> did not know the characteristics of the breed until too late.

A lot of them probably ended up in shelters because they can be horrible
pets. They are very high energy animals and are not really good with
kids. Malinois fans were upset when there was a movie about a Malinois
war dog, fearing that people would rush out to buy Malinois pups, not
realizing what they could be getting into.

dsi1[_2_] 13-02-2019 07:20 PM

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 6:47:43 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/13/2019 10:46 AM, Bruce wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 11:32:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> "Bruce" wrote in message ...

> >> I think we'll do that too at some point. All these poor animals in
> >> shelters. Even if they only have one year to go, we could still give
> >> them that. I'd hate all kinds of medical problems, though. I knew a
> >> guy who had to inject his cat for diabetes. Well, he didn't...
> >>
> >> ==
> >>
> >> Oh dear. We have to inject Poppy once a month for her skin condition
> >> (Dermatitis). Well, D. does it. He knew how to do it from his time in the
> >> military.
> >>
> >> I get heartbroken when I see all those lost wee souls. If only I was
> >> younger and a millionaire eh?

> > Yes, we'd clearly better stay away from animal shelters. I wish people
> > wouldn't go to breeders while the shelters are full.
> >

> Mostly ignorance and vanity. There are those that don't want some mutt,
> but a pure bread dog that looks cute, no matter how poor a fit it may be.
>
> When the Disney 101 Dalmation move came out many people wanted one but
> did not know the characteristics of the breed until too late.

I was surprised to learn that my brother was raising/breeding dalmatian show dogs. Beats me how that happened. We weren't into dogs when we were kids. I would never get involved with show dogs but he has produced some of the finest dalmatians in N. America - whatever that means. They all look alike to me. :)

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-02-2019 07:36 PM

On 2019-02-13 1:20 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 6:47:43 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:

>> When the Disney 101 Dalmation move came out many people wanted one
>> but did not know the characteristics of the breed until too late.

> I was surprised to learn that my brother was raising/breeding
> dalmatian show dogs. Beats me how that happened. We weren't into dogs
> when we were kids. I would never get involved with show dogs but he
> has produced some of the finest dalmatians in N. America - whatever
> that means. They all look alike to me. :)

Some people are just really really interested in show dogs and breeding
the perfect dogs. My friend and his wife are into English Setters and,
along with a friend, have developed a great line of them. The friend's
sister is into Havanese, and she just scored big time at the Westminster
Dog Show. She got best in Toy Group and was runner up Best in Show. That
is about a great an honour as one can get in the dog showing business.

dsi1[_2_] 13-02-2019 08:16 PM

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 8:34:27 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-13 1:20 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 6:47:43 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski
> > wrote:

> >> When the Disney 101 Dalmation move came out many people wanted one
> >> but did not know the characteristics of the breed until too late.

> > I was surprised to learn that my brother was raising/breeding
> > dalmatian show dogs. Beats me how that happened. We weren't into dogs
> > when we were kids. I would never get involved with show dogs but he
> > has produced some of the finest dalmatians in N. America - whatever
> > that means. They all look alike to me. :)
> >

> Some people are just really really interested in show dogs and breeding
> the perfect dogs. My friend and his wife are into English Setters and,
> along with a friend, have developed a great line of them. The friend's
> sister is into Havanese, and she just scored big time at the Westminster
> Dog Show. She got best in Toy Group and was runner up Best in Show. That
> is about a great an honour as one can get in the dog showing business.

I believe that my brother has fallen in with some shady characters. I pray that one day, he will be able to escape their evil influence.

Ed Pawlowski[_5_] 13-02-2019 08:35 PM

On 2/13/2019 1:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Some people are just really really interested in show dogs and breeding
> the perfect dogs. My friend and his wife are into English Setters and,
> along with a friend, have developed a great line of them.Â* The friend's
> sister is into Havanese, and she just scored big time at the Westminster
> Dog Show. She got best in Toy Group and was runner up Best in Show. That
> is about a great an honour as one can get in the dog showing business.

Do they breed humans the same way? That has beed tried too, but it
failed. Is there much difference?

Dave Smith[_1_] 13-02-2019 08:46 PM

On 2019-02-13 2:16 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 8:34:27 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>> Some people are just really really interested in show dogs and
>> breeding the perfect dogs. My friend and his wife are into English
>> Setters and, along with a friend, have developed a great line of
>> them. The friend's sister is into Havanese, and she just scored
>> big time at the Westminster Dog Show. She got best in Toy Group and
>> was runner up Best in Show. That is about a great an honour as one
>> can get in the dog showing business.

> I believe that my brother has fallen in with some shady characters. I
> pray that one day, he will be able to escape their evil influence.

After graduation I had plans to start a dog training business. It was
the main reason we bought a country property. I spent enough time around
dog breeders to realize that I did not want to spend my life dealing
with people like that.

Watching the Westminster Dog Show over the last few days reminded me of
one of my favourite movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeifMjqpsg0

Bruce[_28_] 13-02-2019 08:59 PM

We have one less resident now.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 14:46:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-13 2:16 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>> On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 8:34:27 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith
>> wrote:

>>> Some people are just really really interested in show dogs and
>>> breeding the perfect dogs. My friend and his wife are into English
>>> Setters and, along with a friend, have developed a great line of
>>> them. The friend's sister is into Havanese, and she just scored
>>> big time at the Westminster Dog Show. She got best in Toy Group and
>>> was runner up Best in Show. That is about a great an honour as one
>>> can get in the dog showing business.

>> I believe that my brother has fallen in with some shady characters. I
>> pray that one day, he will be able to escape their evil influence.

>After graduation I had plans to start a dog training business. It was
>the main reason we bought a country property. I spent enough time around
>dog breeders to realize that I did not want to spend my life dealing
>with people like that.

Lol. Or any other people.

Dave Smith[_1_] 14-02-2019 03:14 PM

On 2019-02-13 2:35 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/13/2019 1:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Some people are just really really interested in show dogs and
>> breeding the perfect dogs. My friend and his wife are into English
>> Setters and, along with a friend, have developed a great line of
>> them.Â* The friend's sister is into Havanese, and she just scored big
>> time at the Westminster Dog Show. She got best in Toy Group and was
>> runner up Best in Show. That is about a great an honour as one can get
>> in the dog showing business.

> Do they breed humans the same way?Â* That has beed tried too, but it
> failed.Â* Is there much difference?

There was a country that tried that about 80 years ago. There social
experiment was rejected when they got carried away. I just wish that
those with losing attributes would refrain from reproducing voluntarily.

Bruce[_28_] 14-02-2019 08:10 PM

We have one less resident now.

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 09:14:02 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-13 2:35 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 2/13/2019 1:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Some people are just really really interested in show dogs and
>>> breeding the perfect dogs. My friend and his wife are into English
>>> Setters and, along with a friend, have developed a great line of
>>> them.* The friend's sister is into Havanese, and she just scored big
>>> time at the Westminster Dog Show. She got best in Toy Group and was
>>> runner up Best in Show. That is about a great an honour as one can get
>>> in the dog showing business.

>> Do they breed humans the same way?* That has beed tried too, but it
>> failed.* Is there much difference?

>There was a country that tried that about 80 years ago. There social
>experiment was rejected when they got carried away. I just wish that
>those with losing attributes would refrain from reproducing voluntarily.

You mean the ones that constantly bitch and gossip like an old
washerwoman*?

--
Bruce
*With all due respect for washerwomen.

[email protected][_2_] 14-02-2019 09:43 PM

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:28:58 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> Another friend from the dog park rescued a similarly skittish dog who
> once slipped out through the gate while someone else was coming in and
> bolted. It took a couple people two hours to catch her. The poor guy
> can't leave her alone in his apartment. She has such serious separation
> anxiety that she tears the place apart, including chewing holes in the
> wall.

When he goes to work, store, hanging out with friends that dog needs to be put
into a large crate. His belongings will be safe and actually the dog might feel
safer being contained.

> My son has a bit of an issue with the term "rescue". He considers it to
> be a buying a dog cheap.

Rescue can also mean rescuing the animal from euthanasia or abuse.

> I have an issue that I raise with the town
> every year. I don't mind registering my dog but think it should be a one
> time thing so they know who is responsible for the dog. I resent having
> to pay an annual fee which is then used to pay for enforcement and to
> support the local shelter. There are very few local dogs in the shelter.
> Most of them are imported from shelters in the US. There are about 5
> times more cats than dogs in the shelter, and cats are not licenses. As
> a dog owner I am forced to support cats and imported dogs.

'Registering' a dog here means they get their annual rabies vaccination at one
of the free clinics the city offers. Same thing applies to cats.

[email protected][_2_] 14-02-2019 09:52 PM

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 2:43:06 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> 'Registering' a dog here means they get their annual rabies vaccination at one
> of the free clinics the city offers. Same thing applies to cats.

I need to correct this statement. The annual clinics offer a substantially
reduced price of the vaccination vs. the price charged at a vets office.

Dave Smith[_1_] 14-02-2019 10:37 PM

On 2019-02-14 3:43 p.m., wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 11:28:58 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Another friend from the dog park rescued a similarly skittish dog who
>> once slipped out through the gate while someone else was coming in and
>> bolted. It took a couple people two hours to catch her. The poor guy
>> can't leave her alone in his apartment. She has such serious separation
>> anxiety that she tears the place apart, including chewing holes in the
>> wall.
>>

> When he goes to work, store, hanging out with friends that dog needs to be put
> into a large crate. His belongings will be safe and actually the dog might feel
> safer being contained.

There is some reason he does not crate it. He can't even go down to the
laundry room without the dog freaking out and destroying things. The
same dog who cannot bear to be left behind for a couple minutes cannot
be trusted off leash. Let that mutt lose and it's gone in an instant.

>> My son has a bit of an issue with the term "rescue". He considers it to
>> be a buying a dog cheap.
>>

> Rescue can also mean rescuing the animal from euthanasia or abuse.

In that case it would qualify as a rescue. These days anyone who adopts
a dog from anything other than a breeder refers to it as a rescue.

> 'Registering' a dog here means they get their annual rabies vaccination at one
> of the free clinics the city offers. Same thing applies to cats.

That would work for me. However I really resent being expected to pay
for a license every year when the money is being spent to enforce the
bylaw that requires dogs to be licensed and to support the shelter that
is full of cats and imported dogs.