Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default okra

I've decided to start experimenting with okra.
I've only eaten it cold, or as dried snack.

I could search online, and get 1000 recipes, but I'd
rather ask the folks here -

--
Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 12:44:07 -0800 (PST), RichD
> wrote:

>I've decided to start experimenting with okra.
>I've only eaten it cold, or as dried snack.
>
>I could search online, and get 1000 recipes, but I'd
>rather ask the folks here -

I like it stir-fried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 08:18:19 +1100, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 12:44:07 -0800 (PST), RichD
> wrote:
>
>>I've decided to start experimenting with okra.
>>I've only eaten it cold, or as dried snack.
>>
>>I could search online, and get 1000 recipes, but I'd
>>rather ask the folks here -

>I like it stir-fried.

I grow okra, wonderful in vegetable soup... don't let the pods grow
more than four inches or they get like wood, harvest at 3". I love
the okra flowers, Fresh okra is not slimey, those at market are old
and disgusting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rich, my favorite way to prepare it is to throw it in the compost pile.
Sorry. Not. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2019 8:37 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Rich, my favorite way to prepare it is to throw it in the compost pile.
> Sorry. Not. ;-))
>
> N.

Â* Actually if you slice it in 1/2" thick pieces and dip it in a light
batter then cornmeal and deep fry it it isn't half bad . My wife loves
fried okra . I tolerate it because she likes it - I even grow it in the
garden for her . It's also supposed to be a primary ingredient in gumbo
and I might try it some day . File (fee-lay) is also supposed to be in
gumbo , and we have all kinds of sassafras growin' out there .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry, as I have said before....I have had it fried exactly like that, when I lived in Oklahoma, and
many of my friends guaranteed I would like it. Nope, still can't eat it.

OTOH, I love beets. LOL.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I tried to grow some in WV but it didn't do good at all, a guy I know in Mississippi said it takes hot weather to grow it and he doubted it was hot enough here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 "l not -l" > wrote:
>On 11-Feb-2019, RichD > wrote:
>
>> I've decided to start experimenting with okra.
>> I've only eaten it cold, or as dried snack.
>>
>> I could search online, and get 1000 recipes, but I'd
>> rather ask the folks here -

>In general, yuck! However, in small amounts, I like sliced okra in gumbo.
>The only other way I can stand it is okra pickles.

Since you're already so limited recipes will be of no use to you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Rich, my favorite way to prepare it is to throw it in the compost pile.
> Sorry. Not. ;-))

LOL So funny Nancy2. I had eaten okra in different dishes a few
times and it seemed ok. So then once I saw a 7oz box of frozen
okra at the store and bought it. I always like to taste any
vegetable 'as is' before it's seasoned.

So I heated up the okra in microwave with a lid on...aka steamed
it. Once I gave it a stir with a fork, I went to try a bite -
just plain, no seasoning.

Well...I scooped a forkfull up to taste and from plate to almost
my mouth was a slime string. I saw that slime and totally freaked
out. "WTF IS THAT???" I had never heard about ocra and the slime.
All I could think of is that some asswipe in the food factory
spit in this vegetable. I dug around in it more and all had this
evil slime. Again: "WTF? ;-o " I totally freaked out and tossed
every bit of that in the garbage disposal.

It even killed my appetite for the rest of dinner. Only months
later did I read that okra has slime. Even better educated now, I
never buy okra. A slimey vegetable is just wrong to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On February 12, Nancy2 wrote:
> I have had it fried exactly like that, when I lived in Oklahoma, and
> many of my friends guaranteed I would like it. Nope, still can't eat it.

Trader Joe's offers dried okra in the snack aisle.
It opens my wallet. Give it a try -

> OTOH, I love beets. LOL.

Dried beets, too -

--
Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I had okra wasps were attracted to the blooms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2019 3:44 PM, RichD wrote:
> I've decided to start experimenting with okra.
> I've only eaten it cold, or as dried snack.
>
> I could search online, and get 1000 recipes, but I'd
> rather ask the folks here -
>

> --
> Rich

Cold okra. Really? As a snack? Not that I can imagine.

How about you tell us what you're looking for in terms of using okra?
Using fresh or frozen? Are you looking for gumbo or fried? Whole pods
or sliced? I, for one, would have a better idea of what you are looking
for if you were more specific.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 18:36:56 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/11/2019 3:44 PM, RichD wrote:
>> I've decided to start experimenting with okra.
>> I've only eaten it cold, or as dried snack.
>>
>> I could search online, and get 1000 recipes, but I'd
>> rather ask the folks here -
>>

>> --
>> Rich
>>

>Cold okra. Really? As a snack? Not that I can imagine.
>
>How about you tell us what you're looking for in terms of using okra?
>Using fresh or frozen? Are you looking for gumbo or fried? Whole pods
>or sliced? I, for one, would have a better idea of what you are looking
>for if you were more specific.

More specific? "How do you guys prepare and like to eat okra" seems
pretty specific to me.

Okra gloria.p General Cooking 39 09-05-2010 03:43 PM
Fried Okra Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:08 PM
okra recipe Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge Diabetic 0 14-09-2007 04:49 PM
okra in stir fry blake murphy General Cooking 0 08-09-2007 09:41 PM
Okra Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 11 30-09-2003 05:31 PM