Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default snow big deal

People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

Friday I left work around 12:30 and headed toward the kids' school.
I thought I might grab a bite for lunch before their early dismissal
at 2:15 due to impending snow. Sure enough the flakes started coming
down hard around 12:45 so I went straight to the school and after
about 30 minutes had rounded up both my kids and we were on our way.
Our trip home usually takes about 25 minutes but on Friday everyone
decided to hit the roads at the same time so it took us two hours,
mostly due to gridlock in the Central District. Fortunately I had
pizza and clif bars for us to munch on during the journey. My main
concern was my bladder but it still had some room left by the time we
got home.

Friday's dinner was bratwurst with sauerkraut and fried potatoes and
a tossed salad. Saturday's breakfast was pancakes and bacon. Then we
went out to play in the snow. We came back in for some pasta with red
sauce, and discussed what our afternoon adventure would be. Well we knew
we wanted to go sledding, it was just a matter of where. I tried my
chains and decided after driving a couple blocks that maybe it's better
to walk to the nearest hill rather than drive, park in the snow and not
be certain if my car could get moving again. I'll save driving for when
it's necessary.

After sledding we came home to warm up and have some sandwiches.
The boys' mom came to pick them up and I was on my own. I had the
leftover brats and sauerkraut for dinner and some chips. Ice cream
for dessert.

Sunday morning I tried Bob's Red Mill "Organic Whole Grain High Fiber
Hot Cereal" for the first time. I bought it because I've been wanting
to try something organic and they didn't have organic steel cut oats,
and I thought this might be the next best thing. Well, the texture is
about a 1.5 on a scale to 10. There's nothing to really chew on, and
it's got this glutionus almost rubbery consistency. The added butter and
almond milk helped a little but I think all hope is lost here as far as
an enjoyable eating experience. My homemade breakfast sausage offset
the unpleasantness enough that I could choke down all that fiber. There's
a recipe for muffins on the bag which I may attempt, although I will
be prepared for a rubbery result.

I wanted to make my lentil soup but didn't have any ginger so I decided
to take a different approach. One of my kids loves that recipe but the
other one says "there's some weird taste in there" which I suspect if
not the lentils themselves might be the cumin. So I came up with something
that tastes good with no cumin: tomato sauce and oregano! Here's the
procedu dice one carrot and one celery stalk, fry in oil of your
choice (I choose olive) and then add some minced garlic. Once they're
all tender add 4c veg stock and 1c lentils. Let that cook for a while
and add 1c tomato sauce, and oregano. Easy, and very tasty.

After fortifying myself with a large portion of this lentil soup I
headed out for a walk. The residential streets don't get plowed here
but the arterials were wet or slushy. I didn't see a lot of cars driving
around.

Dinner was a massive BLT with dill pickles. I took my other BOGO pork
shoulder out of the freezer on Friday in anticipation of being stuck for
several more days, but temps are rising and this may all be over by
tomorrow if the rains come and wash all the snow away. But the rain could
freeze, too - so it'll be roast pork for dinner, with carrots and
potatoes.

I'm scheduled to report for jury duty tomorrow, so regardless of what
Mother Nature decides, the disruptions to normal routine will continue
for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:40:05 PM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:

> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles.

Sounds like a typical snow day here in the South.

https://i.postimg.cc/fyb1N3MW/Snow-Day-in-the-South.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2019 12:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> [...]
> and add 1c tomato sauce, and oregano. Easy, and very tasty.
>
> After fortifying myself with a large portion of this lentil soup I
> headed out for a walk. The residential streets don't get plowed here
> but the arterials were wet or slushy. I didn't see a lot of cars driving
> around.
>
> Dinner was a massive BLT with dill pickles. I took my other BOGO pork
> shoulder out of the freezer on Friday in anticipation of being stuck for
> several more days, but temps are rising and this may all be over by
> tomorrow if the rains come and wash all the snow away. But the rain could
> freeze, too - so it'll be roast pork for dinner, with carrots and
> potatoes.
>
> I'm scheduled to report for jury duty tomorrow, so regardless of what
> Mother Nature decides, the disruptions to normal routine will continue

Â* Well , it ain't snow , but today for the 3rd time since we moved up
and started building (bought the land 18 years ago) the creek is way up
from heavy rains . We usually can't see water (in the creek bed) from
the house , today it's a lot higher than just visible . Looks like it
might be going down some right now , until the next round of heavy rain
.. All the same to me , I ain't going anywhere today . Except out to the
wood pile to replenish the inside supply for tonight and maybe up to the
mail box to get the starter cells for my seedlings for the garden . Time
to get started if I'm to have seedlings ready to transplant by April
15th or so . Already started prepping for my 2nd annual Mother's Day
Plant Sale . First was profitable , and I got plenty of starter material
so why not . Already got 6" hanging pots lined up ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
> must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
> essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
> and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
out my driveway I could get to the store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:40:05 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> [...]
> and add 1c tomato sauce, and oregano. Easy, and very tasty.
>
> After fortifying myself with a large portion of this lentil soup I
> headed out for a walk. The residential streets don't get plowed here
> but the arterials were wet or slushy. I didn't see a lot of cars driving
> around.
>
> Dinner was a massive BLT with dill pickles. I took my other BOGO pork
> shoulder out of the freezer on Friday in anticipation of being stuck for
> several more days, but temps are rising and this may all be over by
> tomorrow if the rains come and wash all the snow away. But the rain could
> freeze, too - so it'll be roast pork for dinner, with carrots and
> potatoes.
>
> I'm scheduled to report for jury duty tomorrow, so regardless of what
> Mother Nature decides, the disruptions to normal routine will continue

The last time we were in the Seattle area during Thanksgiving, I was told that the locals were just freaking out at the snow that got dumped in the area. They weren't used to it. I thought that was peculiar.

My sister-in-law was going to great lengths in explaining how to get up the frozen hill to the church where we were having Thanksgiving dinner. It involved driving on the side or backing up the hill as well as ideas on what to do in case we got stuck. I was apprehensive when we finally faced "the Hill" but my son just drove up it with no problem. We were in a full sized AWD SUV. Going down was a little dicey though. Hee hee.

It's always a good time for us when we're in the area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> > People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
> > by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
> > arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
> > the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
> > where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
> > customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
> > must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
> > essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
> > and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
> out my driveway I could get to the store.

Same here in Michigan. What do you call 8" of snow? Tuesday.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" wrote in message ...

[...]

==

Seems you are well organized) Keep warm)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> > People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
> > by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
> > arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
> > the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
> > where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
> > customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
> > must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
> > essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
> > and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
> out my driveway I could get to the store.

Same here in Michigan. What do you call 8" of snow? Tuesday.

Cindy Hamilton

==

<g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 15:00:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
>> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
>> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
>> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
>> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
>> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
>> must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
>> essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
>> and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

>When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
>deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
>out my driveway I could get to the store.

They had snow out in Vancouver and an arctic draught which veered
their way instead of across country. Can't say I even felt a twinge
for them as they had all made sure the country saw pics of their
cherry blossoms etc the week before that That'll teach them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 3:00 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common.Â* In New England, no big
> deal.Â* People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
> better equipped to deal with it.Â* In all my years in CT, if I could get
> out my driveway I could get to the store.

We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation
infrastructure to its knees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:32:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-11 3:00 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common.* In New England, no big
>> deal.* People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>> better equipped to deal with it.* In all my years in CT, if I could get
>> out my driveway I could get to the store.

>We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
>small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
>takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation
>infrastructure to its knees.

Wait until you get a tiny hurricane.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 3:15 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
>>> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
>>> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
>>> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
>>> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
>>> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
>>> must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
>>> essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
>>> and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

>> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
>> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
>> out my driveway I could get to the store.

> Same here in Michigan. What do you call 8" of snow? Tuesday.

The people of Buffalo don't even consider 8" to be a snow storm. They
average over 90" of snow per year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 4:17 p.m., wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 15:00:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
>>> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
>>> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
>>> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
>>> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
>>> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
>>> must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
>>> essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
>>> and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

>> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
>> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
>> out my driveway I could get to the store.

> They had snow out in Vancouver and an arctic draught which veered
> their way instead of across country. Can't say I even felt a twinge
> for them as they had all made sure the country saw pics of their
> cherry blossoms etc the week before that That'll teach them

I went out to Vancouver in Feb/89, apparently in time for the once every
decade snowfall. We were stuck in a holding pattern for an hour while
they cleared the runway. Traffic was moving very slowly. There was about
6-8" of snow in Victoria, which was nothing to me, but it threw the city
into a panic. It was all gone by the next day, completely melted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:38:43 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-11 3:15 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
>>> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>>> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
>>> out my driveway I could get to the store.

>> Same here in Michigan. What do you call 8" of snow? Tuesday.

>The people of Buffalo don't even consider 8" to be a snow storm. They
>average over 90" of snow per year.

Same in the northern Catskills... we're supposed to receive a foot+
tomorrow. Just came back from town with a 5 pound top round, pot
roast is always a good winter meal.
Just noticed five does grazing, means plenty snow coming... oops, one
girl looking in my window, and two more girls just arrived. Oh, two
more behind my vegetable garden. A small herd arrived.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> > People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
>> > by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
>> > arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
>> > the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
>> > where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
>> > customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
>> > must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
>> > essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
>> > and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

>> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
>> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
>> out my driveway I could get to the store.

>Same here in Michigan. What do you call 8" of snow? Tuesday.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

In general you put resources where needed. It rarely gets below freezing
here so the typical response for side streets is to wait until it melts
and/or the rain washes it all away. Seattle is also very hilly and most
people don't have much experience driving in the ice and snow. I came
here after living in the midwest my whole life until 2002 so I have
learned how to deal with it. But I'm sure the extended cold is testing
the limits of all kinds of infrastructure and systems not designed for
it. For example, a friend of mine has crappy heat and insulation in her
apartment and if she doesn't keep a space heater running in her bathroom
the toilet will freeze. A water main broke yesterday in West Seattle
which created more ice while a bunch of people didn't have water or had
brown water for a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:38:43 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Same here in Michigan. What do you call 8" of snow? Tuesday.

>> The people of Buffalo don't even consider 8" to be a snow storm. They
>> average over 90" of snow per year.

> Same in the northern Catskills... we're supposed to receive a foot+
> tomorrow. Just came back from town with a 5 pound top round, pot
> roast is always a good winter meal.
> Just noticed five does grazing, means plenty snow coming... oops, one
> girl looking in my window, and two more girls just arrived. Oh, two
> more behind my vegetable garden. A small herd arrived.

Popeye, yoose forgot to measure their tits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:30:31 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
> small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
> takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation
> infrastructure to its knees.

That is because we do not get significant amounts of the white stuff. When you
have to drive in a condition that you have no experience driving in of course
we are brought to our knees. Are we supposed to save two weeks of our vacation
and schedule those weeks for the second week of January in Minneapolis so we
can learn to drive in a condition we rarely experience? Are we supposed to
stay off the roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are annoying
him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:23:28 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 6:56:37 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > Even if she lost a day's pay it would have been more sensible for her to
> > stay home.
> >

> I gotta agree. Unless she was taking someone to the hospital, after the first
> episode of getting out of a ditch I'd said "that's it, I'm going home."

I have not started my new home care pediatric nursing client primarily because of weather! SNOW! My first Meet-n-Greet I tried, but only got part of the way there and turned around and came home, as it was getting much worse and I didn't want to have to spend the night at a client's house whom I had just met! That would be rude!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 6:33 p.m., wrote:
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:30:31 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
>> small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
>> takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation

>> infrastructure to its knees.
>>

> That is because we do not get significant amounts of the white stuff. When you
> have to drive in a condition that you have no experience driving in of course
> we are brought to our knees. Are we supposed to save two weeks of our vacation
> and schedule those weeks for the second week of January in Minneapolis so we
> can learn to drive in a condition we rarely experience? Are we supposed to
> stay off the roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are annoying
> him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?

Yes, I realize that you don't often get significant amounts of snow, but
there is a huge difference between what you think is a significant
amount and what people further north think is significant. It has a lot
to do with the road and highway departments not having the resources to
deal with it. It costs a lot of money to have a fleet of trucks on hand
for sanding and flowing operations. When we get some freezing rain or
snow we sand the roads for traction, and plows to clear heavier amounts
of snow. Since you don't have the means to deal with the stuff it gets
packed down and turns to ice, and there is no traction on ice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 7:56 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/11/2019 6:33 PM, wrote:
>
>> Are we supposed to
>> stay off the roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are
>> annoying
>> him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?
>>

> That can be the smart thing to do no matter where you live.
>
> One day I was going to work and there were flashing lights ahead around
> the curve.Â* When I go there, a woman was standing beside her car that
> slid off the road. They were waiting to have it pulled out.
>
> After work it was still the same conditions on the way home.Â* Again, at
> a slight curve on a down hill there were flashing lights ahead.Â* When I
> got there, same woman, same car, this time up against a guard rail with
> some damage.
>
> Even if she lost a day's pay it would have been more sensible for her to
> stay home.

There are a lot of people who just don't make good decisions. Last week
we had a bad winter storm with two days of freezing rain. Streets and
sidewalks were a mess. On the news they were interviewing a woman who
was out walking her dog down the middle of a road. She said that the dog
wanted to go for a walk and the sidewalk was too slippery so she was
walking on the road. It didn't make a lot of sense to me to be walking
on slippery ice covered roads where there are big heavy vehicles that
are slipping and sliding around.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:23:28 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 6:56:37 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Even if she lost a day's pay it would have been more sensible for her to
>>> stay home.
>>>

>> I gotta agree. Unless she was taking someone to the hospital, after the first
>> episode of getting out of a ditch I'd said "that's it, I'm going home."

> I have not started my new home care pediatric nursing client primarily because of weather! SNOW! My first Meet-n-Greet I tried, but only got part of the way there and turned around and came home, as it was getting much worse and I didn't want to have to spend the night at a client's house whom I had just met! That would be rude!
>
> John Kuthe, RN, BSN, Cannabis Nurse!

Rude? Yoose? Nah.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> I'm scheduled to report for jury duty tomorrow, so regardless of what
> Mother Nature decides, the disruptions to normal routine will continue
> for me.

i got that last winter... not much fun, but
i got through it.

as for the snow, i don't mind it here. the ice
has been more of a challenge this year.

the high winds this past weekend took down the
t.v. and internet antenna from the roof so i had
to get up there today and unhook everything and
rehook up what i could leave up there (the internet
connection ). the tv thing seems to work ok even
if it is sitting on the ground... for now until the
ice clears up and i can redo what needs to be redone
that will have to do. ice everywhere. i fell a few
days ago walking on the end of the drive where some
ice has formed, meant to be very careful but somehow
just a slight step got away from me and down i went.
nothing broken. *whew*

rain and snow on the way this week. it's mid-
winter. i would rather it was all snow.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 2:56:37 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/11/2019 6:33 PM, wrote:
>
> > Are we supposed to
> > stay off the roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are annoying
> > him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?
> >

> That can be the smart thing to do no matter where you live.
>
> One day I was going to work and there were flashing lights ahead around
> the curve. When I go there, a woman was standing beside her car that
> slid off the road. They were waiting to have it pulled out.
>
> After work it was still the same conditions on the way home. Again, at
> a slight curve on a down hill there were flashing lights ahead. When I
> got there, same woman, same car, this time up against a guard rail with
> some damage.
>
> Even if she lost a day's pay it would have been more sensible for her to
> stay home.

My friend's ex-girlfriend once drove her car off the road and ended up on a riverbank during a rainstorm. She climbed back up to the road during the storm while carrying an infant in one arm to get help. That must have been an epic climb!

Later on, the girlfriend and the cops were down the hill trying to figure out how to tow the car out of the river. She said that a car flew over their heads as if it were in slow motion. An old guy and his wife went off the road in the same spot that she did. The car hit her car and destroyed it. Then the couple got swept down the river in their car. The guy and his wife ended up getting themselves killed.

A lot of times, a little rain on this rock will cause traffic accidents. I can't say why that is except that we don't like driving in rain. Things are a lot different in the Pacific Northwest. Those guys love driving fast in the rain. The cars on the freeway will have roostertails behind them. I thought those guys were nuttier than heck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:41:30 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> Yes, I realize that you don't often get significant amounts of snow, but
> there is a huge difference between what you think is a significant
> amount and what people further north think is significant. It has a lot
> to do with the road and highway departments not having the resources to
> deal with it. It costs a lot of money to have a fleet of trucks on hand
> for sanding and flowing operations. When we get some freezing rain or
> snow we sand the roads for traction, and plows to clear heavier amounts
> of snow. Since you don't have the means to deal with the stuff it gets
> packed down and turns to ice, and there is no traction on ice.

We've got a fleet of snow plows as well as mountains of salt ready to be used.
However, we don't use sand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 9:00:04 PM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:

> here you go - how different regions react to the snow:
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy5l-xmVsAA36SA.jpg

I am 30 miles from the Kentucky state line. We can hear of a snow threat or
flurries there and we start veering off into the ditches here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-11 11:01 p.m., wrote:
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:41:30 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I realize that you don't often get significant amounts of snow, but
>> there is a huge difference between what you think is a significant
>> amount and what people further north think is significant. It has a lot
>> to do with the road and highway departments not having the resources to
>> deal with it. It costs a lot of money to have a fleet of trucks on hand
>> for sanding and flowing operations. When we get some freezing rain or
>> snow we sand the roads for traction, and plows to clear heavier amounts
>> of snow. Since you don't have the means to deal with the stuff it gets
>> packed down and turns to ice, and there is no traction on ice.
>>

> We've got a fleet of snow plows as well as mountains of salt ready to be used.
> However, we don't use sand.

We use a lot more sand than salt. Salt usually goes on at the beginning
of a storm. It doesn't melt snow. It lowers the freezing temperature. It
is used to form a "brine sandwich", a layer of slush, so that the plows
can slip under the snow and push it off the road. Otherwise, the plows
just ride up over the packed snow. Then they use sand, which is mixed
with just enough salt to stop it from freezing into big lumps. In
addition to providing traction, the dark material attacts light/heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 4:33:35 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:32:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2019-02-11 3:00 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> >> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common.Â* In New England, no big
> >> deal.Â* People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
> >> better equipped to deal with it.Â* In all my years in CT, if I could get
> >> out my driveway I could get to the store.

> >We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
> >small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
> >takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation
> >infrastructure to its knees.

> Wait until you get a tiny hurricane.

We call 'em tornadoes

This far inland, hurricanes arrive pretty well spent. A few days of
rain or gloomy weather is about as far as it goes.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:55:17 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> A lot of times, a little rain on this rock will cause traffic accidents. I can't say why that is except that we don't like driving in rain. Things are a lot different in the Pacific Northwest. Those guys love driving fast in the rain. The cars on the freeway will have roostertails behind them. I thought those guys were nuttier than heck!

A little rain can be worse than a lot of rain. Oil on the road floats
on top of the water and makes it easier to slide. A lot of rain will
wash the oil away, leaving a better surface.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 11:01:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:41:30 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I realize that you don't often get significant amounts of snow, but
> > there is a huge difference between what you think is a significant
> > amount and what people further north think is significant. It has a lot
> > to do with the road and highway departments not having the resources to
> > deal with it. It costs a lot of money to have a fleet of trucks on hand
> > for sanding and flowing operations. When we get some freezing rain or
> > snow we sand the roads for traction, and plows to clear heavier amounts
> > of snow. Since you don't have the means to deal with the stuff it gets
> > packed down and turns to ice, and there is no traction on ice.
> >

> We've got a fleet of snow plows as well as mountains of salt ready to be used.
> However, we don't use sand.

I'm listening to the tick of ice pellets on the window next to me. By the
time I'm ready to go to work, the roads will be salted and I'll be doing
45 mph.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]
> and add 1c tomato sauce, and oregano. Easy, and very tasty.
>
> After fortifying myself with a large portion of this lentil soup I
> headed out for a walk. The residential streets don't get plowed here
> but the arterials were wet or slushy. I didn't see a lot of cars driving
> around.
>
> Dinner was a massive BLT with dill pickles. I took my other BOGO pork
> shoulder out of the freezer on Friday in anticipation of being stuck for
> several more days, but temps are rising and this may all be over by
> tomorrow if the rains come and wash all the snow away. But the rain could
> freeze, too - so it'll be roast pork for dinner, with carrots and
> potatoes.
>
> I'm scheduled to report for jury duty tomorrow, so regardless of what
> Mother Nature decides, the disruptions to normal routine will continue

Still bad out here in the burbs. All of my Drs. offices are closed until
perhaps Wed. Most of the people I know were told to stay home from work.
None of the side streets get plowed. The main roads do, but there is so much
ice on them and the plows can't remove the ice.

KIRO radio said the stores are scrambling to get stuff restocked. I've been
pretty much stuck here. I did go out for prescriptions at Bartells and
picked up a few things that they sell like shelf stable cheese, crackers and
boxed soup. Also placed a small Amazon Fresh order. They couldn't guarantee
that they would deliver it but it did come. Now other orders that I placed
over a week ago seem to have gotten lost.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 12:40:05 PM UTC-6, tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
>> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
>> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
>> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
>> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
>> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles.
>>

> Sounds like a typical snow day here in the South.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/fyb1N3MW/Snow-Day-in-the-South.jpg

Day? This has been going on for quite a few days and no end in sight!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
>> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
>> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
>> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
>> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
>> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
>> must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
>> essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
>> and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
> out my driveway I could get to the store.

Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 20:01:44 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 8:41:30 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I realize that you don't often get significant amounts of snow, but
>> there is a huge difference between what you think is a significant
>> amount and what people further north think is significant. It has a lot
>> to do with the road and highway departments not having the resources to
>> deal with it. It costs a lot of money to have a fleet of trucks on hand
>> for sanding and flowing operations. When we get some freezing rain or
>> snow we sand the roads for traction, and plows to clear heavier amounts
>> of snow. Since you don't have the means to deal with the stuff it gets
>> packed down and turns to ice, and there is no traction on ice.
>>

>We've got a fleet of snow plows as well as mountains of salt ready to be used.
>However, we don't use sand.

Outside the city we use sand only - people have wells and salt
draining from the road is deadly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 7:03:23 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> >> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
> >> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
> >> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
> >> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
> >> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
> >> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
> >> must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
> >> essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
> >> and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

> > When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
> > deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
> > better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
> > out my driveway I could get to the store.

> Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
> heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
> salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.

Bullshit. Everyplace that gets snow gets a variety of snow.

Hey, Seattle--can we give you your weather back? We got an inch
of snow, a quarter inch of ice pellets, followed by rain.

The roads are ok because they've been running the salt trucks
pretty much constantly, but the parking lot at work is glare ice.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Our snow here is different.

LMAO Bothel is so unique. Someone should make a documentary
about it.

> East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
> heavy and wet.

Failed belief. Here in the mid east coast, our rare snow is
mostly always heavy and wet.

Get real, Julie. ;/

BTW... still not a single flake of snowfall here in Virginia
Beach this winter...very rare. Actually this will be the first
ever since I moved here in 1973
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-12 6:05 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 4:33:35 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:32:12 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
>>> small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
>>> takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation
>>> infrastructure to its knees.

>> Wait until you get a tiny hurricane.

> We call 'em tornadoes
>
> This far inland, hurricanes arrive pretty well spent. A few days of
> rain or gloomy weather is about as far as it goes.

The last hurricane we had was Hazel in 1954. The last real blizzard was
1977. I only remember one small tornado. It tore down the screes at
the drive in where Twister was scheduled to run that evening. We
occasionally see high water, but not flooding. It is pretty boring.