Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default snow big deal

On 2/12/2019 9:14 AM, Gary wrote:
\

> BTW... still not a single flake of snowfall here in Virginia
> Beach this winter...very rare. Actually this will be the first
> ever since I moved here in 1973

Maybe, but it is only mid February. I remember one year thinking it was
over and had a blizzard on April Fools Day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 9:30:20 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-02-12 6:05 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 4:33:35 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:32:12 -0500, Dave Smith

> >> Wait until you get a tiny hurricane.

> > We call 'em tornadoes
> >
> > This far inland, hurricanes arrive pretty well spent. A few days of
> > rain or gloomy weather is about as far as it goes.

> The last hurricane we had was Hazel in 1954. The last real blizzard was
> 1977. I only remember one small tornado. It tore down the screes at
> the drive in where Twister was scheduled to run that evening. We
> occasionally see high water, but not flooding. It is pretty boring.

And that's why we like it here. No, it's not glamorous. But
mainly the weather doesn't kill you. Nor does the geology.
Oh, sure, some people freeze to death every winter, and
drown in floods and stuff. But no wholesale slaughter by
Mother Nature. Nice and boring.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > BTW... still not a single flake of snowfall here in Virginia
> > Beach this winter...very rare. Actually this will be the first
> > ever since I moved here in 1973
> >

> Maybe, but it is only mid February. I remember one year thinking it was
> over and had a blizzard on April Fools Day.

I did hesitate to mention my lack of snow, least I jinx myself.
In the past, some of our largest snowfalls were in the end of
February. No cold or snow forcast in the next 7 days but yes, all
winter hell could show up in the last 10 days of February.

It's never snowed much in March except a few inches in the first
week one year. I ran a 5K race that day.

Anyway, I always enjoy a good snow here since no matter how much,
it all melts within a few days. I'm still "kid" enough to enjoy
snow days and I always cheer it on...deeper the better. And we
just don't go to work in severe, very rare snow so no need to
drive in it dangerously. Deep snow days for me is always 'snow
days off' just like the kids in school. Stay home. Only go out
to have fun and play in it. I still do.

Your snow days are all behind you now, Ed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 04:03:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

snip

>Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
>heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
>salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.

Not true, every place gets all different kinds of snow
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-12 11:07 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 04:03:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> snip
>>
>> Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
>> heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
>> salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.

> Not true, every place gets all different kinds of snow

It has nothing to do with east or west. It is the weather conditions are
the time. Snow that falls when it is close to the freezing point tends
to be wetter and heavier. Snow that falls when it is dry and cold tends
to be light and fluffy, but that same snow can be dense and heavy if it
falls during high winds that break up the crystals. That was what
happened here in the Blizzard of 77. There was not that much snow but it
was extremely cold and Lake Erie was frozen over. Snow was blown all the
way across the lake and the flat areas of south western Ontario. Then it
piled up into huge, solid drifts here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 2/11/2019 1:34 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>>> People panicked here in the Seattle area last Thursday, as evidenced
>>> by my local Fred Meyer being completely out of shopping carts when I
>>> arrived around 6pm to pick up a few things. I had done my major shopping
>>> the day before and as always I managed to forget something. I soon found
>>> where all the shopping carts had gone - they were manned by restive
>>> customers standing in lines 20 deep, going halfway up the aisles. I
>>> must say things were pretty calm despite the gridlock and lack of
>>> essentials like bread and bananas. Fortunately I had "about 12 items"
>>> and the express lane lines were more reasonable.

>> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
>> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
>> out my driveway I could get to the store.

> Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
> heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
> salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.

That explains why we were in the Midwest, half way in between east and
west, get both. Or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 10:07:37 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 04:03:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> snip
> >
> >Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
> >heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
> >salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.

> Not true, every place gets all different kinds of snow

Very true! I've heard it said that there are like 50 words for snow in North Polar Humans' languages. And there are in English, just not as many.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:03:54 AM UTC-6, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:

> >> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
> >> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
> >> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
> >> out my driveway I could get to the store.

> > Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
> > heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
> > salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.
> >

> That explains why we were in the Midwest, half way in between east and
> west, get both. Or not.

ROFL! Yeah, we get the worst of BOTH COASTS! ;-)

John Kuthe, STL MO...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
>> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
>> out my driveway I could get to the store.

>Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
>heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
>salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.

Yesterday I saw huge flakes, lake effect type snow, in the afternoon.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SL3gi2SUcaGrgvw37

Toward evening it grew wetter and the flakes got smaller until it became
rain. The type of snow depends on the temperature of the air and how it
mixes up. Looking forward to good old rain. My jury duty was cancelled
and I don't need to go back - I am considered having served. Whew!

They got four feet in Snoqualmie Pass in 36 hours - if you could get
there the skiing would be a dream! But I-90 is closed at least until
tomorrow. My boss is stuck on the other side. :-/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 03:05:49 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 4:33:35 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:32:12 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> >We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
>> >small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
>> >takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation
>> >infrastructure to its knees.

>> Wait until you get a tiny hurricane.

>We call 'em tornadoes
>
>This far inland, hurricanes arrive pretty well spent. A few days of
>rain or gloomy weather is about as far as it goes.

We call them cyclones. We only get the tail end, which mainly means
rain. But it can lead to severe flooding.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

> here you go - how different regions react to the snow:
>
> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dy5l-xmVsAA36SA.jpg

That's very funny. Your Seattle column is exactly like
a Virginia Beach column.

Also (the really funny part that cracked me up)
Was the end row about large snow and one thing
said, "Jim Cantore spotted" or something like that.

Cracked me up as it's based on reality. Cantore is top dog on the
Weather Channel and he always tries to situate himself at "ground
zero" during any big storm. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 20:01:44 -0800 (PST), "

>>> Outside the city we use sand only - people have wells and salt
>>> draining from the road is deadly.
>>>

>> Really? Nova Scotia has modified its approach to winter road
>> maintenance by using more efficient methods of salting, but it still
>> uses a lot of salt on its roads. For a number of years they have been
>> applying it proactively, applying a salt solution to the roads before
>> the snow starts.
>>
>> Well salt pollution is not much of an issue in rural areas. There is
>> relatively little salt used per unit area compared to urban areas where
>> there are many more roads and higher standards. My well is only about 60
>> feet from the road and I have no salt issues.

> Yes, really. In town and also on the highways they are using the
> pre-brining solution, very successfully, but wells don't abut
> highways.

Okay, they are using brine instead of salt. The brine is salt. They are
still using salt, but less of it.

> It would also depend on whether your well is a dug or drilled well,
> still many dug wells operating happily in NS.

My well is dug. It probably picks up more salt from me salting my
sidewalk than it does from the road.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 10:07:37 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 04:03:16 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> snip
> >
> >Our snow here is different. East Coast snow is dryer. West Coast snow is
> >heavy and wet. Forms a thick layer of ice almost instantly. And they use
> >salt/sand or chemicals on the East Coast.

> Not true, every place gets all different kinds of snow

But, but, but I thought it was common knowledge and accepted by all that Ju-Ju
speaks for the whole west coast! Are you telling us she is n.o.t the authority
she claims to be??? Oh the horror, heartbreak, and disappointment. I am
sorely bereaved to learn this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>"tert in seattle" > wrote in message

>> I'm scheduled to report for jury duty tomorrow, so regardless of what
>> Mother Nature decides, the disruptions to normal routine will continue
>> for me.

>Still bad out here in the burbs. All of my Drs. offices are closed until
>perhaps Wed. Most of the people I know were told to stay home from work.
>None of the side streets get plowed. The main roads do, but there is so much
>ice on them and the plows can't remove the ice.
>
>KIRO radio said the stores are scrambling to get stuff restocked. I've been
>pretty much stuck here. I did go out for prescriptions at Bartells and
>picked up a few things that they sell like shelf stable cheese, crackers and
>boxed soup. Also placed a small Amazon Fresh order. They couldn't guarantee
>that they would deliver it but it did come. Now other orders that I placed
>over a week ago seem to have gotten lost.

I got out of jury duty which was a good thing because I wasn't going to
drive anywhere this morning, and the transit being on emergency snow
routes meant it would take a ridiculous amount of time to get to the
courthouse. AND I've fulfilled my obligation, considered to have served.
Nice!

A couple hours ago I launched out of my parking spot on the street with
some assistance from chains - not sure it would have worked without them.
But soon enough I was on wet pavement so I took them off. Fred Meyer was
back to normal, everything was in stock *except* my favorite bread from
Grand Central Bakery, which didn't surprise me. On the way home I said
****it and didn't bother putting the chains back on. I used momentum to
cruise down my slushy/snowy/icy street and get back into my parking space.
My 20 years' experience driving in snow came in handy, as did a bit of
good luck.

My neighbor who has Montana plates managed to turn around and get out
of her parking space and head in the opposite direction from how she had
parked, with no chains and just FWD (no snow tires either). I was getting
ready to head out and help but she managed all on her own. That was
impressive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:01:35 -0500, Dave Smith

wrote:

>>> Really? Nova Scotia has modified its approach to winter road
>>> maintenance by using more efficient methods of salting, but it still
>>> uses a lot of salt on its roads. For a number of years they have been
>>> applying it proactively, applying a salt solution to the roads before
>>> the snow starts.
>>>
>>> Well salt pollution is not much of an issue in rural areas. There is
>>> relatively little salt used per unit area compared to urban areas where
>>> there are many more roads and higher standards. My well is only about 60
>>> feet from the road and I have no salt issues.

>> Yes, really. In town and also on the highways they are using the
>> pre-brining solution, very successfully, but wells don't abut
>> highways.

>Okay, they are using brine instead of salt. The brine is salt. They are
>still using salt, but less of it.
>

>> It would also depend on whether your well is a dug or drilled well,
>> still many dug wells operating happily in NS.

>My well is dug. It probably picks up more salt from me salting my
>sidewalk than it does from the road.

You can't be living rural if you have sidewalks, even most of
surburbia here has no sidewalks... only urbanites have sidewalks. No
rural canucks have sidewalks. Most of rural and surburban Canada has
no paved roads let alone sidewalks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Yes, really. In town and also on the highways they are using the
>>> pre-brining solution, very successfully, but wells don't abut
>>> highways.

>> Okay, they are using brine instead of salt. The brine is salt. They are
>> still using salt, but less of it.
>>

>>> It would also depend on whether your well is a dug or drilled well,
>>> still many dug wells operating happily in NS.

>> My well is dug. It probably picks up more salt from me salting my
>> sidewalk than it does from the road.

> You can't be living rural if you have sidewalks, even most of
> surburbia here has no sidewalks... only urbanites have sidewalks. No
> rural canucks have sidewalks. Most of rural and surburban Canada has
> no paved roads let alone sidewalks.

Popeye, nobody can be as rural as yoose! Why, yoose live at 70,000 Ft.
in dem northern catskills mountains, where it gets 70 degrees below
zero, and yoose has 10 ft snowfalls that yoose has to clean up.

Yoose live so far out, yoose just throw yoose garbage out yoose window.

Nosiree, no sidewalks for yoose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:
> walk like a penguin to avoid slipping on ice!

i would have been better off sitting on it and
sliding. one fall. no major injury but still
not good.

> well as long as you have internet you're all set

that's pretty much how i think of it. t.v. i
can ignore these days. once in a while i pick up
a dvd from the library. Mom watches the t.v. a
lot more.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 20:22:56 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-02-12 7:53 p.m., wrote:

>>> Okay, they are using brine instead of salt. The brine is salt. They are
>>> still using salt, but less of it.

>>> My well is dug. It probably picks up more salt from me salting my
>>> sidewalk than it does from the road.

>> You can't be living rural if you have sidewalks, even most of
>> surburbia here has no sidewalks... only urbanites have sidewalks. No
>> rural canucks have sidewalks. Most of rural and surburban Canada has
>> no paved roads let alone sidewalks.
>>

>I am pretty sure that I live in a rural area. There is no municipal
>sidewalk. There is a sidewalk from the driveway to my front door and
>another from goes to my patio, and they are both right next to my well.
>

>As for the rest..... gawd you are an ass.

You are the ass HOLE, calling a paved path on your own property a
sidewalk. A sidewalk is called a sidewalk because it's the paved
walkway alongside a roadway for public use... there are no sidewalks
on private property.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sidewalk

If you're salting paved paths you're a bigger fool than I had thought,
I bet your wife likes salt tracked all over inside... how long do you
think salted pavement lasts before it disintergates. My numbskull
neighbor lost his $2,000 cast concrete front steps from salting, I
introduced him to cat litter. Most concrete garage floors rapidly
deteriorate from road salt deposited in winter from tires and chunks
of salty slush dropping off. Nobody here in snow country has concrete
paved driveways or concrete paved paths, they'd deterorate and break
up from the ground heaving, they use black top, crushed stone or some
kind of flagstone.. If you're salting your paved paths so heavily
that it affects your well water then you are definitely a city boy...
WTF drinks ground water???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:01:35 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> You can't be living rural if you have sidewalks, even most of
>>> surburbia here has no sidewalks... only urbanites have sidewalks. No
>>> rural canucks have sidewalks. Most of rural and surburban Canada has
>>> no paved roads let alone sidewalks.
>>>

>> I am pretty sure that I live in a rural area. There is no municipal
>> sidewalk. There is a sidewalk from the driveway to my front door and
>> another from goes to my patio, and they are both right next to my well.
>>

>> As for the rest..... gawd you are an ass.

> You are the ass HOLE, calling a paved path on your own property a
> sidewalk. A sidewalk is called a sidewalk because it's the paved
> walkway alongside a roadway for public use... there are no sidewalks
> on private property.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sidewalk

> If you're salting paved paths you're a bigger fool than I had thought,
> I bet your wife likes salt tracked all over inside... how long do you
> think salted pavement lasts before it disintergates. My numbskull
> neighbor lost his $2,000 cast concrete front steps from salting, I
> introduced him to cat litter. Most concrete garage floors rapidly
> deteriorate from road salt deposited in winter from tires and chunks
> of salty slush dropping off. Nobody here in snow country has concrete
> paved driveways or concrete paved paths, they'd deterorate and break
> up from the ground heaving, they use black top, crushed stone or some
> kind of flagstone.. If you're salting your paved paths so heavily
> that it affects your well water then you are definitely a city boy...
> WTF drinks ground water???

^^^ A walking sphincter ^^^

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-02-11 4:17 p.m., wrote:

>>> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
>>> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>>> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
>>> out my driveway I could get to the store.

>> They had snow out in Vancouver and an arctic draught which veered
>> their way instead of across country. Can't say I even felt a twinge
>> for them as they had all made sure the country saw pics of their
>> cherry blossoms etc the week before that That'll teach them
>>

> I went out to Vancouver in Feb/89, apparently in time for the once every
> decade snowfall. We were stuck in a holding pattern for an hour while they
> cleared the runway. Traffic was moving very slowly. There was about 6-8"
> of snow in Victoria, which was nothing to me, but it threw the city into a
> panic. It was all gone by the next day, completely melted.

I went to Vancouver in May once and there was snow! We had to cut our trip
short as we only brought light jackets. No coats. We went to Stanley Park.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> writes:
>>>
>>> When I lived in Philadelphia, that was common. In New England, no big
>>> deal. People were batter at driving in snow and the highway crews are
>>> better equipped to deal with it. In all my years in CT, if I could get
>>> out my driveway I could get to the store.

>>Same here in Michigan. What do you call 8" of snow? Tuesday.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

> In general you put resources where needed. It rarely gets below freezing
> here so the typical response for side streets is to wait until it melts
> and/or the rain washes it all away. Seattle is also very hilly and most
> people don't have much experience driving in the ice and snow. I came
> here after living in the midwest my whole life until 2002 so I have
> learned how to deal with it. But I'm sure the extended cold is testing
> the limits of all kinds of infrastructure and systems not designed for
> it. For example, a friend of mine has crappy heat and insulation in her
> apartment and if she doesn't keep a space heater running in her bathroom
> the toilet will freeze. A water main broke yesterday in West Seattle
> which created more ice while a bunch of people didn't have water or had
> brown water for a while.

A store in Everett had the roof collapse from the weight of the snow. Can't
remember the name of the store but it's near Casino Road. My friend's toilet
froze. Nothing else. Just the toilet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-02-11 6:33 p.m., wrote:
>> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:30:31 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from very
>>> small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems that is
>>> takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the transportation

>>> infrastructure to its knees.
>>>

>> That is because we do not get significant amounts of the white stuff.
>> When you
>> have to drive in a condition that you have no experience driving in of
>> course
>> we are brought to our knees. Are we supposed to save two weeks of our
>> vacation
>> and schedule those weeks for the second week of January in Minneapolis so
>> we
>> can learn to drive in a condition we rarely experience? Are we supposed
>> stay off the roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are
>> annoying
>> him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?
>>

> Yes, I realize that you don't often get significant amounts of snow, but
> there is a huge difference between what you think is a significant amount
> and what people further north think is significant. It has a lot to do
> with the road and highway departments not having the resources to deal
> with it. It costs a lot of money to have a fleet of trucks on hand for
> sanding and flowing operations. When we get some freezing rain or snow we
> sand the roads for traction, and plows to clear heavier amounts of snow.
> Since you don't have the means to deal with the stuff it gets packed down
> and turns to ice, and there is no traction on ice.

Sand isn't used here. Maybe in Seattle but not out where I live. My street
is still a mess of thick snow and slush. No trash pickup this week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-14 2:18 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> I went out to Vancouver in Feb/89, apparently in time for the once
>> every decade snowfall. We were stuck in a holding pattern for an hour
>> while they cleared the runway. Traffic was moving very slowly. There
>> was about 6-8" of snow in Victoria, which was nothing to me, but it
>> threw the city into a panic. It was all gone by the next day,
>> completely melted.

> I went to Vancouver in May once and there was snow! We had to cut our
> trip short as we only brought light jackets. No coats. We went to
> Stanley Park.

Really? A city where is only knows about once a year and you just
happened to be there when it was hit with snow in May, something that is
rare even in locations that get lots of snow. That is incredible in
the true sense of the word.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/14/2019 7:06 PM, cshenk wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:30:31 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> We always get a chuckle over the traffic chaos that results from
>>> very small amounts of snow in the lower half of the US. It seems
>>> that is takes only about a half inch of snow to bring the
>>> transportation infrastructure to its knees.
>>>

>> That is because we do not get significant amounts of the white stuff.
>> When you have to drive in a condition that you have no experience
>> driving in of course we are brought to our knees. Are we supposed to
>> save two weeks of our vacation and schedule those weeks for the
>> second week of January in Minneapolis so we can learn to drive in a
>> condition we rarely experience? Are we supposed to stay off the
>> roads because some Northerner is here visiting but we are annoying
>> him and in his way because we don't know how to navigate in it?

> Thats the problem plus we do not have the gear to deal with it. They
> do not bother to plough side roads here (no treatment at all) and they
> do not sell snow tires either.
>
> Our biggest danger per local studies, IS the northern critters causing
> accidents 'getting annoyed' at the locals. The locals have fender
> benders in it. The northern annoyed critters cause fatalities going
> 50-60 and wiping out a local at 20mph.

Many have no idea what it is like in other places. The Weather Channel
runs a show called Highway Thru Hell. They deal with snow and ice on a
regular basis in BC.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4m...HpBpAgqeVckISg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-02-14 2:18 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> I went out to Vancouver in Feb/89, apparently in time for the once every
>>> decade snowfall. We were stuck in a holding pattern for an hour while
>>> they cleared the runway. Traffic was moving very slowly. There was about
>>> 6-8" of snow in Victoria, which was nothing to me, but it threw the city
>>> into a panic. It was all gone by the next day, completely melted.

>> I went to Vancouver in May once and there was snow! We had to cut our
>> trip short as we only brought light jackets. No coats. We went to Stanley
>> Park.

> Really? A city where is only knows about once a year and you just
> happened to be there when it was hit with snow in May, something that is
> rare even in locations that get lots of snow. That is incredible in the
> true sense of the word.

There wasn't a lot of snow. It was just really cold!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:50:21 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 20:22:56 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2019-02-12 7:53 p.m., wrote:
> >> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 15:01:35 -0500, Dave Smith

> >> You can't be living rural if you have sidewalks, even most of
> >> surburbia here has no sidewalks... only urbanites have sidewalks. No
> >> rural canucks have sidewalks. Most of rural and surburban Canada has
> >> no paved roads let alone sidewalks.
> >>

> >I am pretty sure that I live in a rural area. There is no municipal
> >sidewalk. There is a sidewalk from the driveway to my front door and
> >another from goes to my patio, and they are both right next to my well.
> >

> >As for the rest..... gawd you are an ass.

> You are the ass HOLE, calling a paved path on your own property a
> sidewalk. A sidewalk is called a sidewalk because it's the paved
> walkway alongside a roadway for public use... there are no sidewalks
> on private property.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sidewalk

> If you're salting paved paths you're a bigger fool than I had thought,
> I bet your wife likes salt tracked all over inside... how long do you
> think salted pavement lasts before it disintergates.

I salt my walkways. Kitty little doesn't work all that well, and I'd ruin
any amount of exterior concrete and interior flooring to protect my husband
from falling.

Anyway--what kind of barbarian wears their salty boots indoors?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-14 11:12 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Many have no idea what it is like in other places.Â* The Weather Channel
> runs a show called Highway Thru Hell.Â* They deal with snow and ice on a
> regular basis in BC.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4m...HpBpAgqeVckISg

That is the Coquihalla Hwy. It is a beautiful, scenic drive in the
summer, but my friends who live out there talk about how treacherous it
is in the winter. It is a highway that goes a long way between places,
but without much along the way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-15 8:23 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> I went to Vancouver in May once and there was snow! We had to cut our
>>> trip short as we only brought light jackets. No coats. We went to
>>> Stanley Park.

>> Really?Â* A city where is only knows about once a year and you just
>> happened to be there when it was hit with snow in May, something that
>> is rare even in locations that get lots of snow.Â* That is incredible
>> in the true sense of the word.

> There wasn't a lot of snow. It was just really cold!

Yeah right. Stick to that story. It doesn't snow much in Vancouver even
in the winter, but you expect us to believe that it snowed when you were
there. Pull the other one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 06:14:00 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:50:21 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 20:22:56 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> >I am pretty sure that I live in a rural area. There is no municipal
>> >sidewalk. There is a sidewalk from the driveway to my front door and
>> >another from goes to my patio, and they are both right next to my well.
>> >

>> >As for the rest..... gawd you are an ass.

>> You are the ass HOLE, calling a paved path on your own property a
>> sidewalk. A sidewalk is called a sidewalk because it's the paved
>> walkway alongside a roadway for public use... there are no sidewalks
>> on private property.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sidewalk

>> If you're salting paved paths you're a bigger fool than I had thought,
>> I bet your wife likes salt tracked all over inside... how long do you
>> think salted pavement lasts before it disintergates.

>I salt my walkways. Kitty little doesn't work all that well, and I'd ruin
>any amount of exterior concrete and interior flooring to protect my husband
>from falling.

If your husband is so feeble he shouldn't be allowed outdoors in
winter. We use these... sure beets salt and sand... they stay
attached to winter boots... winter boots are removed before entering
the house. Actually we don't wear outdoor footwear indoors period..
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=snow+trax...nb_sb_ss_i_3_9

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/15/2019 10:47 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Really?Â* A city where is only knows about once a year and you just
>>> happened to be there when it was hit with snow in May, something that
>>> is rare even in locations that get lots of snow.Â* That is incredible
>>> in the true sense of the word.

>> There wasn't a lot of snow. It was just really cold!

> Yeah right. Stick to that story. It doesn't snow much in Vancouver even
> in the winter, but you expect us to believe that it snowed when you were
> there.Â* Pull the other one.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...n-averages.php
When Vancouver Has Its First & Last Snowfalls
The first snowfall of winter for Vancouver usually arrives in December,
but can show up as early as November or even October.

The season's last snowfall typically happens in February or March
although in some years a late snow lands in April.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:02:01 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 06:14:00 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:50:21 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> >> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 20:22:56 -0500, Dave Smith

> >> You are the ass HOLE, calling a paved path on your own property a
> >> sidewalk. A sidewalk is called a sidewalk because it's the paved
> >> walkway alongside a roadway for public use... there are no sidewalks
> >> on private property.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sidewalk

> >> If you're salting paved paths you're a bigger fool than I had thought,
> >> I bet your wife likes salt tracked all over inside... how long do you
> >> think salted pavement lasts before it disintergates.

> >I salt my walkways. Kitty little doesn't work all that well, and I'd ruin
> >any amount of exterior concrete and interior flooring to protect my husband
> >from falling.

> If your husband is so feeble he shouldn't be allowed outdoors in
> winter. We use these... sure beets salt and sand... they stay
> attached to winter boots... winter boots are removed before entering
> the house. Actually we don't wear outdoor footwear indoors period..
> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=snow+trax...nb_sb_ss_i_3_9

You're right. I should just push his feeble ass out in the cold
one of these -15 F nights. It's the merciful thing to do.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:02:01 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 06:14:00 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 2:50:21 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> >> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 20:22:56 -0500, Dave Smith

> >> You are the ass HOLE, calling a paved path on your own property a
> >> sidewalk. A sidewalk is called a sidewalk because it's the paved
> >> walkway alongside a roadway for public use... there are no sidewalks
> >> on private property.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sidewalk

> >> If you're salting paved paths you're a bigger fool than I had thought,
> >> I bet your wife likes salt tracked all over inside... how long do you
> >> think salted pavement lasts before it disintergates.

> >I salt my walkways. Kitty little doesn't work all that well, and I'd
> >ruin
> >any amount of exterior concrete and interior flooring to protect my
> >husband
> >from falling.

> If your husband is so feeble he shouldn't be allowed outdoors in
> winter. We use these... sure beets salt and sand... they stay
> attached to winter boots... winter boots are removed before entering
> the house. Actually we don't wear outdoor footwear indoors period..
> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=snow+trax...nb_sb_ss_i_3_9

You're right. I should just push his feeble ass out in the cold
one of these -15 F nights. It's the merciful thing to do.

Cindy Hamilton

==

Yeah no matter how much you love him ... don't bother!!!

You just couldn't make it up (

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> Really? A city where is only knows about once a year and you just
>>> happened to be there when it was hit with snow in May, something that is
>>> rare even in locations that get lots of snow. That is incredible in the
>>> true sense of the word.

>> There wasn't a lot of snow. It was just really cold!

> Yeah right. Stick to that story. It doesn't snow much in Vancouver even in
> the winter, but you expect us to believe that it snowed when you were
> there. Pull the other one.

It didn't snow while we were there, but it was very cold and there was some
snow on the ground.